Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Astrology and Psychology

Astrology and Psychology For interesting discussions on psychological meanings and deeper implications in natal charts between members passionated by both psychology and astrology.

Unread 07-28-2014, 12:46 PM

Possible theory about south/north node?

ok, so.. just out of curiousity.. not sure if it has any connection or not but here goes.. if the south node represents karma and possibly a past life.. whatever sign that falls into.. could that possibly mean that person feels at home with and comfortable,yet dragged down or "held back" in some way by that sign and or, people with that sun sign? for example.. my north node is capricorn and south node is cancer.. and my rising sign is also capricorn.. so my 6th house cusp is cancer.. and weirdly I have always felt odd around cancers.. in some cases its dislike.. not always.. but it is mainly with cancer.. just an uneasy feeling.. maybe rivalry or something. Is it possible that it is a deep seeded feeling of a struggle regarding a past life or a need to be more "capricorn" then "cancer"? I have also noticed I mainly have relationships with capricorns. Im not attracted to them but it seems right and grounding.. could that be an attempt to attain the qualities of my capricorn north node subconciously through partnerships? any thoughts would be great.

The Following User Says Thank You to Meekocat For This Useful Post:
Neptunia (10-09-2014)
Unread 07-29-2014, 01:10 AM

Re: Possible theory about south/north node?

Based on what you've written, it may be easier for you to identify with your NN in Cap because your ascendant is also in Cap. Usually people are very comfortable in their SN but when there is an emphasis in the sign of the NN, it makes it easier to lean in that direction.

Perhaps if you post your chart, we would not be going hit and miss… :-)
Unread 08-01-2014, 08:37 PM

I have something similar to you. I am aries NN /libra SN. I am also libra rising. Most of my 12th house is libra.

Libra's for the most part feel like I know them too well. Sometimes this is good, sometimes bad. There is sort of like a general understanding and I understand them, especially because they fall in my 12th house, I feel they always have a lot to share with me. I also feel that I see a lot of their negative qualities really well or can spot their mistakes easily. When it is good, it is okay but when it is bad, I feel like I need to get away. For me, especially, I have noted because it is my SN and 12th house together, its not a very lucky area for me.

On the other hand, also through experience , aries is a sign that I generally feel more uplifted and happy around.

Last edited by Innayat; 08-01-2014 at 08:50 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Innayat For This Useful Post:
danai (10-15-2014), Neptunia (10-09-2014)
Unread 08-01-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meekocat View Post
ok, so.. just out of curiousity.. not sure if it has any connection or not but here goes.. if the south node represents karma and possibly a past life.. whatever sign that falls into.. could that possibly mean that person feels at home with and comfortable,yet dragged down or "held back" in some way by that sign and or, people with that sun sign? for example.. my north node is capricorn and south node is cancer.. and my rising sign is also capricorn.. so my 6th house cusp is cancer.. and weirdly I have always felt odd around cancers.. in some cases its dislike.. not always.. but it is mainly with cancer.. just an uneasy feeling.. maybe rivalry or something. Is it possible that it is a deep seeded feeling of a struggle regarding a past life or a need to be more "capricorn" then "cancer"? I have also noticed I mainly have relationships with capricorns. Im not attracted to them but it seems right and grounding.. could that be an attempt to attain the qualities of my capricorn north node subconciously through partnerships? any thoughts would be great.
Post your chart! A really important factor here is where your Moon is (ruler of Cancer). If Cancer is your 6th house cusp, that means Cancer suns fall in your 6th house, and that can be an uncomfortable placement. I would like to give you a better answer if you would like to post your chart.

I have a similar feeling as you. My SN is in Libra in the 6th house, NN in Aries in the 12th (what makes this more complicated is that I have a Sun/Moon opposition that squares the nodal axis from Cancer/Capricorn). Libra is on my 6th house cusp, and I have no planets in that sign or in Aries.

I also feel uneasy around Librans, but also drawn to them. Many significant people in my life have Libra sun or other personal planets, including my father who has a Libra Moon, my best childhood friend, my first boyfriend (also Libra Moon), both my siblings (Libra Suns), three friends in high school and college (one of which I went into business with for a while) whom had Libra Suns, Moons, and Venus or combinations of them, and my first roommate in college who has Libra sun. Notice all the "firsts" here.

In all these relationships, they are important to me but uncomfortable, strained or a growing experience. My father and I love each other very much but rarely see each other and haven't been in close contact since I was 7 years old, siblings are much older than me and we have distant relationships, my first boyfriend turned out to be gay and that was an emotional roller coaster (and another feeling of being inexplicably separated/distant), my childhood best friend always made be feel insecure and jealous, one of my high school friends tried to assault me while he was drunk and I lost that friendship because of that, I went to my other Libra friend (who I was in business with) for help when this happened and she dismissed me, and I've never been able to trust her since and my first roommate was distant and cold, like I was living with a ghost (she made me worry after she emerged from her room after not seeing her for a week, tried to make a sandwich, and collapsed on the floor while I was trying to talk to her because she was sick and hadn't been eating... I think that was the only time I'd ever physically touched her in the two years we'd been living together because she didn't like touching people... she didn't even hug me goodbye when she moved out with only 3 days notice... ).

In sum, people with Libra placements have given me a lot of grief over the years, and I think the 6th house has a LOT to do with that, along with the SN and Sun/Moon midpoint conjunction.

I have always sensed in my Libra type relationships a kind of emotional distance that makes me very uneasy. And it seems odd because Libra is the sign of "partnerships" and it always feels like those partnerships are fated but torn apart or also fated not the be the way I'd hope they could be. Thinking of NN in Aries, the sign of independence (in the 12th house of solitude), this comes into a different light. Congenial Libra is not really there for me, or at least that seems to be how things always play out with them, and I have to stand on my own. And in that way, Libra is uncomfortable.

Last edited by Flapjacks; 08-01-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Unread 08-18-2014, 01:27 PM

thanks guys, I will post my chart
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:07 PM

Thumbs up Re: Possible theory about south/north node?

In the past, one tends to rely on the energies of the South Node to set their boundaries and parameters in life; these qualities are imbedded in the psyche, and are automatic in nature, so ultimately they can cause problems or stagnation in your development. With Cancer, there is often too much reliance on family and domestic support; too much sensitivity and emotional reactivity; too much need for support and nourishment from others. The emotions tend to be in control, whereas they need to be directed and controlled by the mind. Vulnerability and ease of manipulation are often the weakness of Cancer.
As you move towards the NN in your development, you need to be acquiring the traits of Capricorn so you can become more self-reliant, secure, resourceful, prudent and persistent.
It is about balancing between the one sign and it's opposite.
HarmonE (03-17-2016), Neptunia (10-09-2014), Tessie (10-16-2014)
Unread 03-07-2016, 03:07 PM

hi there. am researching nodes and clicked on your post. i live for my own "aha!" moments, so i enjoy others'. have read that the south node is your emotional baggage. mayhaps from the past, mayhaps from past lives. things you need to become aware about in yourself so that you can grow and change and keep striving "northward/up," if you will. so it seems to me that having a "resistance" to cancers is normal. we despise most in others that which we fear in ourselves, or some such. so going "back" to that makes for "uncomfortable comfort." learned a lesson in yoga: poses that you hate/avoid the most usually have the most to teach you. not that you should allow yourself to be pulled in, mired in it, just note it. (am getting out of my comfort zone, posting and talking with astros about stuff as a newbie, so bear with me. <-- very first reply.)
The Following User Says Thank You to arya ishtar For This Useful Post:
katydid (03-07-2016)
Unread 03-21-2016, 11:27 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
ok, so.. just out of curiousity.. not sure if it has any connection or not but here goes.. if the south node represents karma and possibly a past life.. whatever sign that falls into.. could that possibly mean that person feels at home with and comfortable,yet dragged down or "held back" in some way by that sign and or, people with that sun sign? for example.. my north node is capricorn and south node is cancer.. and my rising sign is also capricorn.. so my 6th house cusp is cancer..
If your rising sign is Capricorn, your 7th house cusp would be in Cancer, not your 6th, unless you have two house cusps in Cancer. That would likely result in you being drawn to, and drawing into your life, people who have notably Cancer-like characteristics. They wouldn't necessarily be Cancer suns, but they would be manifesting traits associated with Cancer--nurturing, home and family oriented, that kind of thing. If you have planets in your seventh house, they would modify that message, making you attracted to people who show traits associated with those planets. Odds are good that many people you draw into your life have significant Cancer placements. If it's not their sun sign, it's their moon sign, rising sign, or a sign with significant planetary presence for them--which you wouldn't know unless you're running full birth charts for everyone you meet.
Quote:
and weirdly I have always felt odd around cancers.. in some cases its dislike.. not always.. but it is mainly with cancer.. just an uneasy feeling.. maybe rivalry or something.
That is a sweeping generalization, and sweeping generalizations like that give astrology a bad name. Seriously, you're ill at ease with 100% of the approximately 1 out of every 12 people born in the last week and a half of June or first three weeks of July? Even if you don't know their sun sign?

However, there is a likely astrological connection here, too. Seventh house is not just the house of partners and marriage, it's also the house of open enemies. If you have rivals, that's where they live, astrologically speaking. Perhaps you're manifesting your seventh house by being predisposed to rivalry with people who manifest Cancer. Again, they wouldn't all be Cancer suns, but it's not surprising if many are, and those who are not Cancer suns may very well have Cancer highlighted another way.
Quote:
Is it possible that it is a deep seeded feeling of a struggle regarding a past life or a need to be more "capricorn" then "cancer"? I have also noticed I mainly have relationships with capricorns. Im not attracted to them but it seems right and grounding.. could that be an attempt to attain the qualities of my capricorn north node subconciously through partnerships? any thoughts would be great.
If your north node is in the first house, your south node is in the seventh. That suggests a past life experience of being surrounded by partnership issues, defined by partnership--or it could indicate a past life filled with, and largely defined by, open enemies. If that's the case, then the sign placement would indicate what kind of people these were: Cancerian types. Or perhaps family members, or people like you--same social class, ethnic identity (assuming, of course, that class or ethnicity would matter very heavily in the society you're in), that kind of thing.

Without seeing the rest of your chart, I can't say if your other south node indicators (aspects, and placement of its ruler) indicate heavy rivalries, but your current life experience does strongly suggest that. If you came into this life predisposed to see "Cancer type people" as rivals, that would explain your reaction to them.

Tags
node, south or north, theory