Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!

Unread 05-21-2020, 09:42 PM

Smile Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukpoohbear View Post
The direct approach is the more honest one, even if itís insulting. I guess itís an indication to the secret of a successful social life - the art of lying so as not to offend people.
So, you're equating an indirect approach with lying, even though nothing untrue is said?

Unread 05-21-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
So, you're equating an indirect approach with lying, even though nothing untrue is said?
It would depend on how itís conveyed but when comparing the two together, the indirect one definitely seems like a lie because itís so ambiguous and open to interpretation. ĎAdmiring from afarí could mean in a romantic sense but at least in the first approach, there is no chance of a misunderstanding or in playing upon the romantic ideals of a naive girl.
Unread 05-21-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
It would depend on how it’s conveyed but when comparing the two together, the indirect one definitely seems like a lie because it’s so ambiguous and open to interpretation. ‘Admiring from afar’ could mean in a romantic sense but at least in the first approach, there is no chance of a misunderstanding or in playing upon the romantic ideals of a naive girl.
You're right, could just be a pickup line.

I'm really just trying to get a handle on the meanings of Direct and Retrograde-motion regarding astrology. "Indirect" seems like a more accurate description than "backward", since Direct really means "normally the case", not specifically "forward". For example, "forward movement" of the clock hand is "clockwise", and the reverse of that is "counterclockwise". And, that's the exact opposite of Direct and Retrograde-motion around the Zodiac. So, defining Direct-motion and Retrograde-motion in purely spatial terms is misleading.

I prefer "Indirect" to "Retrograde" as far the actual, astrological meaning is concerned.

Last edited by david starling; 05-21-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Unread 05-21-2020, 11:04 PM
Account Closed

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Gemini full moon 🌕
Unread 05-21-2020, 11:05 PM
Account Closed

Quote:

I'm really just trying to get a handle on the meanings of Direct and Retrograde-motion regarding astrology. "Indirect" seems like a more accurate description than "backward", since Direct really means "normally the case", not specifically "forward". For example, "forward movement" of the clock hand is "clockwise", and the reverse of that is "counterclockwise". And, that's the exact opposite of Direct and Retrograde-motion around the Zodiac. So, defining Direct-motion and Retrograde-motion in purely spatial terms is misleading.

I prefer "Indirect" to "Retrograde" as far the actual, astrological meaning is concerned.
So why do they call it retrograde. ĎTheyí being whoever made this happen
Unread 05-21-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkk View Post
So why do they call it retrograde. ĎTheyí being whoever made this happen
Good question! Some of the language of astrology is archaic, and is no longer of the same meaning as it once was.
Unread 05-21-2020, 11:22 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Good question! Some of the language of astrology is archaic, and is no longer of the same meaning as it once was.
Aaaah so itís all traditional malarkey 😊

We are modems taking the modern lingo now. But Iíve not read anywhere indirect and direct. Itís always retrograde And Iíve googled the Definition and it says the obvious and also opposite of prograde ......
Unread 05-21-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:

Nicely put.
Regarding your two pick up lines, neither one would have been direct about wanting to lay the foundation for a long term relationship. So, would have gotten nowhere with me.
The word retrograde seems so ... falsely direct 😂
What do you have natal indirect, David?
Unread 05-21-2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Aaaah so it’s all traditional malarkey ��

We are modems taking the modern lingo now. But I’ve not read anywhere indirect and direct. It’s always retrograde And I’ve googled the Definition and it says the obvious and also opposite of prograde ......
What's "prograde" from what you've read?

"Retrograde" has a lot of extraneous baggage associated with it on the one hand. On the the other hand it's just "opposite the usual direction", with no interpretation given.

Modernistic astrology relies heavily on the opinions of the various ancient astrologers, but is able to form opinions based on reasoning and logic as well.
Unread 05-22-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passiflora View Post
Nicely put.
Regarding your two pick up lines, neither one would have been direct about wanting to lay the foundation for a long term relationship. So, would have gotten nowhere with me.
Just to clarify, I wasnít answering as if either approach would have gotten anywhere with me, either. I was speaking objectively
Unread 05-22-2020, 12:10 AM

There's so much variation in what retrograde means, even in Vedic, that I'm trying to get a more solid interpretation for my own readings. Some say it's no big deal, others see it as extremely important. Some see it as "bad", others see it as being good or bad depending on the overall situation.

At this point, I'm thinking it means that a planet in Rx condition is more subject to being affected by Aspects than when it's Direct.
Unread 05-22-2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Just to clarify, I wasnít answering as if either approach would have gotten anywhere with me, either. I was speaking objectively
Understood. It was just a fun metaphorical experiment.
Unread 05-22-2020, 12:16 AM

Exclamation Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Quote:
Nicely put.
[Attempt at humor alert!!!]*

* My only Rx placements are the Moon and Sun.
Unread 05-22-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
There's so much variation in what retrograde means, even in Vedic, that I'm trying to get a more solid interpretation for my own readings. Some say it's no big deal, others see it as extremely important. Some see it as "bad", others see it as being good or bad depending on the overall situation.

At this point, I'm thinking it means that a planet in Rx condition is more subject to being affected by Aspects than when it's Direct.
Oh interesting.
What would it mean if my two retrograde planets are trine, as the primary aspect made by each?

Your alert at attempted humor is sympathetic, we are most all in overtired and anxious state these days.
Unread 05-22-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Oh interesting.
What would it mean if my two retrograde planets are trine, as the primary aspect made by each?

Your alert at attempted humor is sympathetic, we are most all in overtired and anxious state these days.
Still thinking about it.
Unread 05-22-2020, 08:23 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
What's "prograde" from what you've read?

"Retrograde" has a lot of extraneous baggage associated with it on the one hand. On the the other hand it's just "opposite the usual direction", with no interpretation given.

Modernistic astrology relies heavily on the opinions of the various ancient astrologers, but is able to form opinions based on reasoning and logic as well.
I copied and pasted this below

adjective
ASTRONOMY
(of planetary motion) proceeding from west to east; direct
The Following User Says Thank You to Hkk For This Useful Post:
david starling (05-22-2020)
Unread 05-22-2020, 01:57 PM

I was a little (a lot) grumpy last night. Starting a new job working from home and have been on a wild goose chase trying to get everything sorted for it.
Unread 05-22-2020, 04:44 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
I was a little (a lot) grumpy last night. Starting a new job working from home and have been on a wild goose chase trying to get everything sorted for it.
Never noticed the grumpiness 😊😍
Unread 05-22-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I copied and pasted this below

adjective
ASTRONOMY
(of planetary motion) proceeding from west to east; direct
In Hellenistic astrology:
Direct - Additive
Retrograde - Subtractive

For Rx sometimes ''walking backward'' and ''retracing their steps'' were used.
Unread 05-22-2020, 05:09 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post
In Hellenistic astrology:
Direct - Additive
Retrograde - Subtractive

For Rx sometimes ''walking backward'' and ''retracing their steps'' were used.
Itís all quite similar and worded differently then. I get what ds is getting at.

The way ds describes it, itís clearer if they didnít use retrograde and used direct and indirect. Simple and clear
Unread 05-22-2020, 06:13 PM

Direct motion to me just refers to the movement in astronomy so may not describe the psychological effect accurately.
Unread 05-22-2020, 06:19 PM

I read once that retrograde planets cause de ja vu. And also that itís lessons from past lives being repeated, although personally I donít see it as a negative like a mistake or a skipped step but just that karma takes more than one lifetime to really stick. Hundreds of lives even, with the same people over and over until you jump off the hamster wheel and surrender to the holy spiritual/inner guide etc etc.

Introverted means a quiet person, but inverted meaning the lesson is turned inside out. Neither is concise enough for what I want. Iím meaning a retrograde planet has more intensity because the lesson is at its latter stages, cos itís being repeated.
Unread 05-22-2020, 06:50 PM

Petosiris do you mind if I ask what your big 3 is? Or some significant aspect of your chart youíd wanna share? Like, why makes you religious?
Unread 05-22-2020, 06:52 PM

(Kind of like how resentment has more intensity than anger is how I see a retrograde planet). If thereís a word for that. Indirect just doesnít cut it.
Unread 05-22-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
It’s all quite similar and worded differently then. I get what ds is getting at.

The way ds describes it, it’s clearer if they didn’t use retrograde and used direct and indirect. Simple and clear
What's the direct approach to understanding Rx, versus the indirect approach?

The direct method might be attempting to come to an immediate conclusion, after consciously thinking it through as best one can.

The indirect method might be keeping the conscious options open until a conclusion presents itself utilizing an unconscious thought process.

Last edited by david starling; 05-22-2020 at 07:28 PM.