How did you get into astrology?

Nexus7

An early exposeure to Holst's planet suite possibly and esposure to teenage magazines that talkd about astrology types.

Later on, a teenage girl's magazine started publishing the charts of the most popular heartthrobs - well, I was not particularly impressed with the heart throbs, but was fascinated to see how complex a horoscope could be: we have a rising sign too? Wow!

I came acros sentiments about astrology being 'the work of the devil' too - I did have a Christian phase at school.

Later on, I did come across Linda Goodman's book. I found it very entertaining as a read and her chart descriptions appreared to be perceptive - but the real revelation was that from this I recognised my moon sign, rather than my sun sign - yet the book was very black-and-white and absolute on the validity of sun signs.

I started to set up charts at 18 with a Derek and Julia Parker book, which you might remember does not have 'proper' ephemerides at the book, though later on I took a Jeff Mayo course that set that area to rights.

I had difficulties with astrology, though. It did seem to me that a lot of people involved with it could be very prescriptive and dogmatic about who you are supposed to be according to the stars - astro fundamentalists, I would call them now. (I am ot saying that all astrologers I met were like that). I had already suspected that nerdily just looking at people through the framework of the stars might be a limiting exercise, but I also disliked the way one or twoother individuals I met seemed more interested deriving a sense of power from categorising others and not looking beyond that.Neither did I get on with the heavy theosophical/esoteric bias that seemed to be around - there was something there that seemed deeply unbalanced to me somehow.

These factors made me feel the need to steer clear of it all and for the last 10 years, I have worked as a Tesol teacher. However, I do miss the times when I actually did work with astrology at the psychic fairs and would like to be more active in this area again if it could be possible.

Meridiem

I was 13, bored, and had internet access.
I've dabbled in and out of astrology over the past 4 or 5 years. It can be interesting.

aspicco

For a long time I thought astrology was nonsense... then I noticed all of the people I got along with really well were born around the same to times of the year... so I looked it up, and sure enough, there was an astrological connection... so I figured I would go get my chart read professionally, to see what was up. By the time the reading was over, I was so paranoid I wanted to know how long she had been tapping my phone and which one of my friends talked about me... (well, the paranoia comes naturally... I am a Capricorn...)

I took the chart and audio tape home, and decided I had to figure out how she did that... and within 18 months I was doing readings professionally... that was in 1985...

barty

Hi people

I'm new to this board tonight! A good place to start, then, is a thread on how I got into astrology!

It was about 18 years ago, I was getting rather close to an Aquarian penfriend of mine (those were the days when people WROTE to each other, remember that?!!!) and I'd heard that us Geminis were supposed to get on quite well with Aquarians......

Well, I bought myself a copy of Linda Goodman's Love Signs, read all about the marvellous relationship I was gonna have with my Aquarian, and all Linda's references to delving deeper because the Sun isn't all there is to astrology...

To cut a long story short, me and miss Aquarian died a terrible death relationship-wise. Me and astrology could have died a similar death but I was sufficiently intrigued by this time to wonder WHY?!!

The rest, as they say, is history! Incidentally I have since discovered that Miss Aqua was far too emotionally dry for this emotionally un-typical Gemini with Scorpio rising, Moon in Pisces, and Venus and Mars in Cancer!

Hi everybody..my first posting just signed up..um yeah, when I was about seven an aunt of mine had this astrology book that came free with a normal gossip womans magazine and I was fascinated about it especially with astrological twins and the traits of star signs..my interest just grew from there with eastern astrology, numerology and everthing else I could get on the occult..

I did have a time in which I didnt read or study about it due to other distractions in life..but am now focusing on re learning and learning more about the occult..I just find it fascinating.:)

blueheron

A student many years ago asked me "Are you a Leo?" I was stunned, and asked her what she'd meant. Her reply was "because you act like one." That got me going. Never lost my fascination with the language of the stars.

Then, a year later (1969), I picked up a sun sign astrology paper back (it was really bad... ) while on a wait-over at an airport. One book lead to another until I began taking classes with John Scott Fischer in 1971. Then in 1980, I traveled to Madras, India, to study Vedic at the Institute for Stellar Astrology.... and here I am... still fascinated.

dc3c3f5e.jpg

Last edited:

Rasalhague

I used to go to a friend of my mom's when I was just into highschool (13). She was a psychotherapist, she died of leukemia a few years ago. Anyways, it was in her book cabinet I found a huge hardcover blue book that described astrology in a different way than the usual magazine kind. I was morbidly fascinated. A few weeks later we got in a mag for home courses, it had astrology! I enlisted as one of the youngest in my country. I still have my homework assignments from back then. It's so cute to see the handwriting. You can still see I'm a child. ^_^;

Barbi.doll

I think I was around the age of 17 when I became addicted to mail order purchases...good ol' Double Day ads came in....and for only 1.00 I was entitled to something like 10 books!

One of them was an astrology book!

Though I haven't expaned beyond the basics and still have yet to become REALLY familiar with any one area in particular....I must say I know more than the average joe!

I want to learn so much more..hence why I am here.

Thanks Double Day for the book that has broadened my understanding in people and myself!

Sharles

I started reading about astrology around age 8. I wondered why I didn't act or feel like a Capricorn sun. Turns out, my sun is singleton in earth, and instead of pouring my energies into it, I pretend to be a Scorpio (my ascendant).

I've been hooked on astrology ever since. :)

Barbi.doll

Sharles said:
I started reading about astrology around age 8. I wondered why I didn't act or feel like a Capricorn sun. Turns out, my sun is singleton in earth, and instead of pouring my energies into it, I pretend to be a Scorpio (my ascendant).

I've been hooked on astrology ever since. :)

I've heard many terms I don't know the meaning of, but this is one I can't say I've ever heard before. What does it mean to have your sun "singleton in earth"....I'm so curious!

Sharles

Barbi.doll said:
I've heard many terms I don't know the meaning of, but this is one I can't say I've ever heard before. What does it mean to have your sun "singleton in earth"....I'm so curious!
Hi Barbi!

A singleton is a planet that stands out in a chart because it's the only planet in a particular mode, element, or orientation.

Eleanor Buckwalter wrote a whole series about these planets at astrologyclub.org.It's very interesting reading.

I also have Uranus in Scorpio as my only water planet, though my ascendant and my angles (Scorpio/Taurus and Virgo/Pisces) make up for the "lack" of water. . Learning about singletons and dominant functions has really taught me a lot about myself.

cjc

Seeing as this thread is being rejuvenated, I thought i'd add my story.

I had always been interested in prediction, and I had begun to notice that I was "sensitive" while I was in college in the mid 60s; the gift actually saved me serious injury one day (but that's off topic).

It was a decade later that I was in radio in Princeton (not the college, but the town) and things started to go crazy in the studio. I found out (and verified) there was a spirit visiting me practically every night. Therefore, I convinced management to allow me to start a program called "The Psychic Scene," and our first program was an attempt to contact Willie (the spirit, as I found out from police records).

In one of the subsequent shows, the guest was Jacob Schwartz (who is a very famous astrologer out of Philadelphia). He did my chart and I was fascinated by its complexity, so I began to study and never stopped.

There is one little follow-up to this. The chart he did for me didn't work well as far as the angles were concerned with the BT my mother had provided. I had heard of rectification, but was too green to even attempt it. A couple years later, I was still producing the show on another station and was waiting with a guest psychic for the moderator to arrive. We were discussing astrology and I told her of my problem. She asked what time I had been told, and I told her 8:30 AM. She went into a trance and a few seconds later said, "8:16." I plugged it in and BINGO. Haven't missed with it for the past 25 years.

I don't agree with "psychic" astrology, but this psychic made it possible for me to practice.

I know this story sounds pretty weird, but it's all true.

c

Barbi.doll

Sharles said:
Hi Barbi!

A singleton is a planet that stands out in a chart because it's the only planet in a particular mode, element, or orientation.

Eleanor Buckwalter wrote a whole series about these planets at astrologyclub.org.It's very interesting reading.

I also have Uranus in Scorpio as my only water planet, though my ascendant and my angles (Scorpio/Taurus and Virgo/Pisces) make up for the "lack" of water. . Learning about singletons and dominant functions has really taught me a lot about myself.

Thank you for both the explanation and the link for further reading! Muchly appreciated!

ivancica11

I start to read about astrology before few years but It was just for fan and when I start to have problems in life I become very interested for it. Someone belive in horoscope and someone say that It is just good fan but when I need it I get answers in my natal chart.

Cryxellis

I was working on a site related to astrology and even I'm not working at
the certain site I was really amazed on what the signs can do to our life.
How it was discovered? Was it real? and how it affects our life?

shwetarose

okay..:)...i came here to ask question when i was totally depresssed. i got very good help and answers from everyone. i was interested in astrology since many years ..finally learnt k.p.astrology..i completed 3 months and now started reading horoscope...

Phact

With the help of my mother I started reading very very young. The ancient Gods and mythology. Then, a family magazine was coming every week at home, with the signs in the last page and the predictions. I was exciting reading, but I found that the writter was repeating the predictions, after some weeks in different signs! So, my mothers said it was lies. I understood that everybody could write lies, but had a strong feeling that somewhere was a truth. For many years I was not saying that I am interesting of this, and when I was 19 I found a school of Astrolology in my coyntry. I went straight there and stayed for one year learning to make charts by hand, some meanings, and of course that the truth exists but you must find the way for it, reading, thinking, learning. I never looked which planet pushed me, because I feel oriented to Astrology just since I started reading...

Epsilon

Looking back, it's very blurry to me, which is odd because I got into astrology a little less than two years ago. I remember going to a bookstore and buying a book about astrology. I also remember lurking these forums and being very interested. But I don't remember how I discovered astrology. I read that first book and read these forums and it grew from there. I kept buying more books to further my knowledge, yet I still call myself a beginner astrology. There is so much I have yet to learn. :)

I got into astrology in December 2006. Looking at my transits, the one thing that stands out to me the most is my natal Sun was square transiting Neptune. The square does motivate us and Neptune is a spiritual planet. I was motivated to go out and learn more about spiritual subjects (astrology)?

Last edited: