Aspects and their deeper meaning in personal development

obsidianmineral

Wanted to bring this idea into discussion as I was taking a few spins on it earlier in my mind.

To me, astrology isn’t at its most useful purely as a descriptive/statistical form of divination.

I think that traditionalists don’t take into account the deeper, spiritual significations of the planets/aspects. Looking at it more closely, the traditional interpretations tend to be rather cookie-cutter in their depictions of either of the two. Modern astrology does give insight into the psychological side - which is fitting, considering that modern astrology and psychology were initiated around the same time frame as the discovery of the o generational planets. Either way, modern astrology isn’t so much about the precise delineations derived from traditional concepts. Rarely do we see terms such as “in hayz”, “cazimi” or “sect” which I would consider to be a downside. We often see instead, the whole “Mars=1st house=Aries” way of thinking, which is just flat-out wrong.

Anyhow, as for the aspects and their ultimate meaning in development: I view them as the cosmic representation of the means; that is, the specifics by which two energies or forces are brought together in harmony. Considering a natal chart spans a lifetime, the aspects describe events, psychological struggles or both. In my opinion, both of these are one and the same; simply put, the events that manifest in our lives are caused greatly by our own inner energies.

With that out of the way, I’d like to say that the classical aspects shouldn’t be regarded, as much as the traditionals would like to, to be “good” or “bad”. I like to view things holistically, maybe that’s my Pisces Mercury speaking there, but we don’t need live in the dark ages anymore and there’s no need to think Saturn inherently signifies decapitations. I like to see both the traditionally bad and good as part of a bigger picture. Many people dislike Saturn even to this day, but I believe that the energy it represents is simply something which most of us are biased against; our careers, work and social failure are a big part of today’s life. Even so, Saturn isn’t the bad omen that will bring you failure no matter what nor is it an annoying planet you should avoid - it’s a higher energy that tries to ground you to the consequences of your actions over long periods of time. It’s a necessary force that we need to integrate in our lives and the more you classify it as bad, the less you’re gonna learn and the worse it’s gonna be for you.

I’d say that:

A) The purpose of every kind of aspect, placement or planet in any chart is to guide the individual into achieving personal development
B) Trines signify energies which are brought to harmony through little to no effort - even on an unconscious level. They’re representative of the individual and his or her personality.
C) Sextiles are opportunities that, while aren’t good enough to be considered part of the individual, they are accessed without too much effort
D) Squares integrate energies through conflict, discomfort
C) Oppositions integrate energies through major conflicts, those which put at stake big aspects of the personality

A square would be, say, somebody who was made fun of for their weak and lanky appearance that decided to work out and got bulky and developed a passion for sports and exercise.

I don’t believe that a chart with just trines and sextiles is good. Traditionally-seen “evil” energies can bring the best of us if we choose to. And in my opinion, life is just more interesting that way.

Last edited:

Frisiangal

Hi,
What you are professing has been within the learning of 'modern' astrological concepts and their meanings for many, many years. Glad to read that there are those out there who believe there to be more to astro. symbolism and think beyond the traditional norms. :wink::smile:

obsidianmineral

Hi,
What you are professing has been within the learning of 'modern' astrological concepts and their meanings for many, many years. Glad to read that there are those out there who believe there to be more to astro. symbolism and think beyond the traditional norms. :wink::smile:

Yes, I’m aware of that hahaha. I think that understanding the planets is extraordinarily difficult to master and really depends on your level of maturity and consciousness. If it were possible to know the planets at its deepest level, then we could bring together both the traditional and modern. There are countless bits of information in traditional texts that are almost forgotten, and that’s bad, IMO. Every piece of information from the traditional and the modern is one same piece of knowledge, or rather, wisdom about the nature of reality - it just manifests itself in infinitely complicated ways and appears to be separated and unrelated. I believe that you could both dive infinitely deep into the meaning of any part of astrology, I.e ‘planet’, ‘aspect’, ‘Saturn’, ‘fixed star’. We’re not just intelligent enough to grasp the profundity of the concepts - that’s what I believe to be at the core of astrology, and for that matter, of knowledge and consciousness.

Most of what I’ve got from astrology has been through years of contemplation about the significance of the planets. To be honest, I’ve still a hard time wrapping my head around the meaning of Uranus, Mercury and Mars. I mean, in the typical keyword modern approach, Uranus is described as “revolutions”, “originality”, and even the ability of precognition. Those aren’t just random concepts that are unliked. There has to be a single concept or aspect of reality that actually links all of them and can be seen, both at a personal level, interpersonal, social and cosmic one. It’s easy to associate these keywords by giving it two seconds of thought and being like “eh, sounds about right” - but it is very far from that.

By the way I know I’m sounding rather intense but as I said, it must be my 9th house Pisces Mercury. Sure doesn’t help that Neptune is transiting it right now, hahaha. I always try to figure out everything in my mind by analyzing endlessly from different perspectives and making sure knowledge is structured very logically without any lapses in judgment. I take a really long time to fully integrate an idea. I guess I enjoy it because once I grasp an idea fundamentally it flows really easily in my mind almost as a part of my identity and self, as it were. I feel like I should probably stop at some point because it sure has gone to the point of obsession. I need to be more straight forward.

Last edited:

AppLeo

Personally, I started on the "psychological" side of astrology, only to find it shallow and empty. The psychology people talk about is the equivalent of Tumblr people who diagnose themselves with mental illnesses. If you're looking for psychology, try studying real psychology.

Traditional, Hellenistic astrology is much more rewarding and interesting, and the only real astrology.

JUPITERASC

Personally, I started on the "psychological" side of astrology, only to find it shallow and empty. The psychology people talk about is the equivalent of Tumblr people who diagnose themselves with mental illnesses. If you're looking for psychology, try studying real psychology.
Traditional, Hellenistic astrology is much more rewarding
and interesting,
and the only real astrology.
for any beginners reading this response unfamiliar with HELLENISTIC astrology
there are multiple information threads on our forum
including these :smile:

INTRODUCTION TO HELLENISTIC ASTROLOGY Part One - Zodiac
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121654

INTRODUCTION TO HELLENISTIC ASTROLOGY Part Two - Seven Stars
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121671

INTRODUCTION TO HELLENISTIC ASTROLOGY Part Three - Theoretical Considerations
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121676

INTRODUCTION TO HELLENISTIC ASTROLOGY Part Four - Nativities
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121677

obsidianmineral

for any beginners reading this response unfamiliar with HELLENISTIC astrology
there are multiple information threads on our forum
including these :smile:

INTRODUCTION TO HELLENISTIC ASTROLOGY Part One - Zodiac
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121654

INTRODUCTION TO HELLENISTIC ASTROLOGY Part Two - Seven Stars
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121671

INTRODUCTION TO HELLENISTIC ASTROLOGY Part Three - Theoretical Considerations
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121676

INTRODUCTION TO HELLENISTIC ASTROLOGY Part Four - Nativities
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121677

I was just reading the Vettius Valens anthology thanks to one of your older posts where you included the pdf online. That was the cause behind me making this post. There are so many pieces of interesting information which sparks my curiosity. Read at some point something about the presence of well positioned planets between two signs which have 60 degrees between them and separated by equinoctial signs, while being in the houses of the Good Fortune or Good Daimon (11th house) or Good Fortune (5th house). By equinoctial signs I suppose it means masculine cardinal signs. Interesting.

Cary2

Banned
I started with the popular form of twentieth century astrology. Call it psychological astrology if you like, but that term has caused as much confusion as clarity. I am an avid reader, and I virtually exhausted the authors along these lines.

I also practiced astrology constantly, and that led to an awareness of techniques and philosophies that did not work so well -- certainly not so well as suggested by the literature. When I was especially disappointed with any established astrological practice, I dumped it. This led to exploring the more modern and more obscure astrological methods.

My method is based most upon empirical hindsight. I study charts in databases like Astrodatabank. I study history along the same lines. I note when an astrologer seems dodgy or cannot produce interpretations that are meaningful to me.

It is astounding to me when someone who identifies as an astrologer refutes the concept of God (Goddess, All That Is, The Creative Forces, etc.). I am not astounded by people who refute astrology, though. I see astrology as a glimmer of God.

Based on my very extensive research, I believe in reincarnation. Reincarnation and karma are a big help with the metaphysical questions that arise from the practice of astrology.

Life on earth is supposed to be difficult. The continuation of life after death can be very much less difficult. Earth is a unique school for souls.