The Gunas and the Nakshatras - A Question

miquar

Hi. I've been looking into the nakshatras used by Vedic astrologers and on this page:

https://www.dirah.org/nakshatras.htm

I came across this passage: (I've had contact with the author and have permission to quote).

2. THE THREE GUNAS

There are three gunas or types of energy.

First, there is Rajas. Rajas is the energyspark of the soul which is incarnating in the world. Rajas gives activity.
Then there is Tamas. The soul, which comes into this world, immerses itself into materiality. Tamas is about materiality and the material world.
After the soul has encountered materiality, it is time for the soul to liberate itself. The energy of liberation is called Sattva. Sattva is about going beyond the material world. It is about the soul wanting to return to its heavenly home.
Each Nakshatra represents certain gunas. And it does so not only on one level, but on three levels.

FIRST LEVEL
First, we have a group of 9 Nakshatras that represent Rajas energy on a primary level. These Nakshatras coincidence with the signs Aries, Taurus, Gemini and Cancer. Aries is the first firesign, Taurus the first earthsign, Gemini the first airsign and Cancer the first watersign.
Then there comes a groups of 9 Nakshatras which represent Tamas on a primary level. These Nakshatras coincidence with the signs Leo, Virgo, Libra and Scorpio. Leo is the second firesign, Virgo the second earthsign, Libra the second airsign and Scorpio the second watersign.
Finally, we have a group of 9 Nakshatras which represent Sattva on a primary level. These Nakshatras coincidence with the signs Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces. Sagittarius is the third firesign, Capricorn the third earthsign, Aquarius the third airsign and Pisces the third watersign. .
SECOND LEVEL
Now each group of 9 Nakshatras can be divided into 3 groups of 3 Nakshatras. This represents the gunas on a secondary level.

In each groups of 9 Nakshatras the first three Nakshatras represent Rajas on a secondary level, the second three Nakshatras represent Tamas on a secondary level and the third three Nakshatras represent Sattva on a secondary level. We see that the order of Rajas, Tamas and Sattva, which we saw at the primary level, repeats itself on this level.

THIRD LEVEL
There are 3 groups of 9 Nakshatras. Because each group of 9 Nakshatras has been split into 3 groups of 3 Nakshatras we have a total of 9 groups which consist of 3 Nakshatras.

These groups of 3 Nakshatras represent the tertiary level. The first Nakshatra of such a group represents Rajas, the second Nakshatra Tamas and the third Sattva.

THE GUNAS AT THREE LEVELS
What we have here is a rather complicated system in which each Nakshatra represents certain gunas on different levels.

Let us look at the first Nakshatra of Ashwini. On a primary level Ashwini represents Rajas,because the Nakshatra of Ashwini is in the range of the signs Aries to Cancer.

On a secondary level, Ashwini represents again Rajas, because it is part of the first group of 3 Nakshatras within the range of Aries to Cancer.

And also, on a tertiary level Ashwini represents Rajas, because it is the first Nakshatra of the first group of 3 Nakshatras.

Therefore we say that Ashwini is Rajas – Rajas – Rajas.

The next Nakshatra Bharani is Rajas – Rajas – Tamas

Only the tertiary level has changed.

Next comes Krittika which is Rajas – Rajas – Sattva.

Again only a change at the tertiary level.

Then we come to a new group of three Nakshatras, which causes for a change at the secondary level. This group does not have Rajas at the secondary level but Tamas.

Of course at the tertiary level, we start again with Rajas.

So Rohini is Rajas – Tamas – Rajas

And Mrigashirsha is Rajas – Tamas – Tamas

And Ardra is Rajas – Tamas – Sattva.

Now we come to the third group of Rajas Nakshatras at the primary level. These have Sattva on the secondary level:

Punarvasu is Rajas – Sattva – Rajas

Pushya is Rajas – Sattva – Tamas

and Ashlesha is Rajas – Sattva – Sattva.

Ashlesha, which is located at the end of the sign Cancer, is the last of the Rajas Nakshatras at the primary level.

The next Nakshatra has Tamas at the primary level. It is the Nakshatra of Magha which is placed at the beginning of Leo.

Magha is Tamas –Rajas –Rajas

Purva Phalguni, which is next, is Tamas –Rajas –Tamas

The author, Roeland de Looff, told me that this approach to the nakshatras is traditional rather than his own invention, but I haven't seen mention of this system in any literature on the nakshatras. Does anyone know of any older sources which mention it?

Best wishes

Miquar

dr. farr

I am not aware of (English) literature references to this guna-classification and subdivision of the nakshatras; however, the concept is related to the sub-divisions of the elements and tattvas, which technique can become quite complex.

miquar

Hi Dr Farr

Thanks for your response. I did find some more mentions of the system in the end, including a book called The Nakshatras, by Dennis Harness, who seems to be a big name in the U.S Vedic astrological community. The book doesn't discuss the gunas, but in the summary given of each nakshatra it attributes three gunas to each nakshatra in exactly the way described in the link given above.

Best wishes

Miquar