Basic orientation when looking at "mystery charts"

Crocus

Namaste fellow astrologers.

I recently read an article that quite successfully debunked astrology! Several astrologers were given a mystery chart and asked to interpret it. The tyros did there best and presented more or less rosy and positive takes on the horoscope. However the chart belonged to a notorious serial killer and the author used this to rubbish astrology as a whole. It was quite convincing.

Of course we could spill a lot of ink about the quality of the astrologers and the school of astrology used but I would particularly like to mention two issues.

Firstly do others see the disparity between classical and modern books on jyotish in terms of tone? Modern anglophone books are mostly very positive and clearly aimed at self help, whereas the classical indian books (in my limited experience) are scarily full of predictions of death, destruction, child mortality and scrofula! I know which way I'm heading here.

Secondly when i was researching medieval arab astrology i put together a bundle of measurements with which i could orientate myself initially to the chart. These measurements included patterns for servile nativities, imprisonment and criminality, wealth, success and so on.

In order to avoid the sort of pitfalls in addressing mystery charts noted above do you esteemed jyotishas have any tips or routines? Or am i trying to cut corners, a full work up of the kundli being the way forward?

Haribol

Crocus

Crocus

Pardon my intrusion, Crocus, but if you are interested in astroquizes, this might be of interest to you. There are also some at astrosage and saptarishi sites.

If you have already seen these, then these might be handy for others.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dymock/index.html

RR

Thank you for pointing this link out to me Rohiniranjan. At my stage of learning I am getting a lot out of looking at charts in books that have some kind of delineation to check my analysis against. I seem to be proceeding in the right direction and look forward to the challenge of mystery quizes. I have a lot of tropical traditional knowledge and techniques that seep into my chart readings and delineated charts ensure i am not making a frankenstein monster.

Thanks again RR

Crocus

Also i have answered my own question: i need to look at the whole chart to get a handle on the native. I realise that i am searching for a shortcut when only experience will speed things up satisfactorily.

Ps. Just watched the solar eclipse in a beautiful clear sky with just enough haze to make a great show of the sun's rays at full occultation. I wish i could post a picture. Tracking it with a pinhole camera was great too - reminded me of when i did this before during the transit of Venus. A marvel.

Crystalpages

Also i have answered my own question: i need to look at the whole chart to get a handle on the native. I realise that i am searching for a shortcut when only experience will speed things up satisfactorily.

Ps. Just watched the solar eclipse in a beautiful clear sky with just enough haze to make a great show of the sun's rays at full occultation. I wish i could post a picture. Tracking it with a pinhole camera was great too - reminded me of when i did this before during the transit of Venus. A marvel.

Haha! Kind of like astrology! Through the peep-hole of a birth-epoch, a fixed point and a slice of the journey of planets and luminaries (some to many even beneath the horizon at the moment of birth) -- emerges the faint image on the screen of the astrologer who is trying to understand this wonderful holographic image of a nativity (or event or prashna, all that and more!).

Regards,

Rohiniranjan