Is it ok to start writing somerhing new under Mercury rx?

fullmoonlibra

I am preparing my first book, which I'm intended to publish during Sun transit to solar Venus Pisces conjunct natal Jupiter Pisces, conjunct solar MC (natally I have Venus Taurus conjunct MC).

Until now I've regretted many writing projects I've started, but didn't finish, because I've got excited to write something else.
I always write for about 4-5 months and afterwards I start something new, without finishing the previous one.

For now, I have 3 half books...

There is a lack of discipline en I can't stay motivated.

Five months ago, I started with the book I was intended to publish on March 2015.
I was saying to myself that I won't give up this time.
And I kept going with writing.
Until yesterday...

I have now a totally new writing idea, in which I believe it will bring more success and in which I believe I will keep writing without loosing interest.
The concept is too close to me, so I won't get bored.

BUT.. Mercury is retrograde in 3rd house of writing.
And opposite my Sun.
Does this mean I will regret when Mercury goes direct? Or is this just the time I will restart unfinished business (I intended to write about the same idea also, a long time ago).

Another thing that has to be said: it goes very fluently now!
I'm totally in it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

kimbermoon

I too have experienced a new incentive in my own writing and feel that during the Mercury retrograde period, the 'flow' can be especially pronounced. The recent eclipse in Aries is about taking direct action, with an exploratory mind. I find my focus is much more directed at this time, and while I have been considering the project for a couple of months, now seems the right time to get it underway.
the upcoming Solar Eclipse in Scorpio can be useful for giving form to your idea...Best of luck!

Osamenor

Staff member
Mercury retrograde turns Mercury's messages inward instead of outward. That makes it a time when inspirations come easy, but it gets less easy to do the kinds of things that put those inspirations out there in the great wide world. Sign a contract during a Mercury retrograde, for instance, and there's greater potential for misunderstandings and problems with the contract. That doesn't necessarily mean those problems will happen, but it does create a necessity to be extra clear and careful about communicating everything if a contract has to be signed during that time.

For the same reasons, Mercury retrograde is a great time to start writing a book. During that phase of the book's creation, you're drawing inspiration and working in solitude. Mercury retrograde creates the perfect conditions for that, and also lessens the likelihood of interference from the outside world. You might want to wait until Mercury turns direct before you start making efforts to get the book published, because that calls for an outwardly directed Mercury energy, but just plain writing the book isn't contraindicated at all. This is the incubation phase, while publication is the birth announcement. They're very different things.

fullmoonlibra

Mercury retrograde turns Mercury's messages inward instead of outward. That makes it a time when inspirations come easy, but it gets less easy to do the kinds of things that put those inspirations out there in the great wide world. Sign a contract during a Mercury retrograde, for instance, and there's greater potential for misunderstandings and problems with the contract. That doesn't necessarily mean those problems will happen, but it does create a necessity to be extra clear and careful about communicating everything if a contract has to be signed during that time.

For the same reasons, Mercury retrograde is a great time to start writing a book. During that phase of the book's creation, you're drawing inspiration and working in solitude. Mercury retrograde creates the perfect conditions for that, and also lessens the likelihood of interference from the outside world. You might want to wait until Mercury turns direct before you start making efforts to get the book published, because that calls for an outwardly directed Mercury energy, but just plain writing the book isn't contraindicated at all. This is the incubation phase, while publication is the birth announcement. They're very different things.

Thanks for your thoughts, I really appreciate it :smile::smile:

fullmoonlibra

I too have experienced a new incentive in my own writing and feel that during the Mercury retrograde period, the 'flow' can be especially pronounced. The recent eclipse in Aries is about taking direct action, with an exploratory mind. I find my focus is much more directed at this time, and while I have been considering the project for a couple of months, now seems the right time to get it underway.
the upcoming Solar Eclipse in Scorpio can be useful for giving form to your idea...Best of luck!

My natal Mercury is Aries, so that's actually why I'm more the column - writer (which I was for about 3 years). But I want to publish a book and I'm trying to keep on track thanks to short term goals, so I won't get bored.
I must stay excited, and I'm trying to keep the things I write exciting too. Because if I get bored myself, what will the readers feel than :biggrin:

Lin

From my point of view, whenever you are inspired to write, it's time to write.
When the Merc retrograde is over you may still like what you wrote...or part of what you wrote...or will want to utilize what you wrote in a different way.
I think it's a mistake to have a fixed date in mind. We think that certain transits will be the right ones for the fruition of this or that project; but it isn't necesarily so.

You'll publish when you finish. When it's done.
Lin

Rosie7

Geez...from my experience, writing is bloody work. If I left it to whenever I felt inspired, bloody nothing would get done. My process usually requires me to FORCE myself to sit and write through the block by sticking with it for at least 1 hour - 1.5 hours before the flow starts and I start churning out something of value. Inspiration is for the birds.

Lin

I was answering this part of the question:

"BUT.. Mercury is retrograde in 3rd house of writing.
And opposite my Sun.
Does this mean I will regret when Mercury goes direct? Or is this just the time I will restart unfinished business (I intended to write about the same idea also, a long time ago)."

If you are a writer you know that forcing yourself to sit down and do it is part of getting it done. There is no way to be inspired EVERY day....just like with any other work. You do the best you can when you're not 'into' it.
And then you go over it when you are inspired and rewrite....and edit and rewrite.

I was saying that new ideas should always be recorded and utilized. Imagination and creativity can't be 'stored to be used later.'
LIN