9th Harmonic Chart - which aspects?

MJ82

I've been reading lately about the 9th harmonic chart and how it is considered the chart of the soul (by some), and how it relates to the novile aspect which appear as conjunctions in this harmonic chart.

But I have also read some interpretations on numerous sites of non-conjunct aspects in the 9th harmonic chart, such as the square and opposition, and some going so far as to include the sign these planets are in in the interpretation.

Can anyone clarify this? Are all hard aspects looked at in the 9th harmonic, and are signs included in the analysis?

Thanks.

Learning,
MJ

MJ82

Anyone? I've read some astrologers regard all major aspects in harmonic charts, and others only specific aspects, like conjunctions. I'm a little stumped!

waybread

One way to read a harmonic chart in western astrology is to (1) keep the meaning of the harmonic/aspect firmly in mind, (2) interpret conjunctions as indicating the aspect in question, unless it is a close conjunction in the natal chart. A close conjunction in the natal chart will also show up in at least the lower harmonic charts. So read it like a conjunction, not like a novile. (3) Read the aspects the way you would normally, keeping in mind the meaning of the harmonic/aspect. Squares and oppositions indicate tension, but some urge to manifest the energies of the involved planets. Trines indicate an easy flow between the involved planets.

!4C

Multiply the chart harmonic # by the aspect harmonic # to get the harmonic chart where a conjunction would occur. For example, a trine in a 3rd harmonic chart would be a conjunction in the 9th harmonic (if the trine is tight enough).

Personally, I never learned anything new from a harmonic chart. I would prefer a software generated report showing all the aspects, minor and major, organized by harmonic families. Then I can go back to the natal chart and investigate when I want to know more about unusual clusters of minor aspects. Also, it would also be nice if astrology software would organize all the aspect settings by there harmonic families, opposed to a jumbled listing of individual aspect names.

MJ82

One way to read a harmonic chart in western astrology is to (1) keep the meaning of the harmonic/aspect firmly in mind, (2) interpret conjunctions as indicating the aspect in question, unless it is a close conjunction in the natal chart. A close conjunction in the natal chart will also show up in at least the lower harmonic charts. So read it like a conjunction, not like a novile. (3) Read the aspects the way you would normally, keeping in mind the meaning of the harmonic/aspect. Squares and oppositions indicate tension, but some urge to manifest the energies of the involved planets. Trines indicate an easy flow between the involved planets.

Hi waybread, so you don't just look for the conjunctions, you also consider other major aspects, oppositions, trines etc? That's interesting, thank you. I'm never sure about these things! Is that the same with all harmonic charts?

waybread

!4C, your rule of thumb works where the conjunction is extremely close. If it's not, you start losing the aspect as you move up to higher harmonic numbers.

For example, an opposition (2-series) in a 9H chart suggests that the planets will be conjunct in the 18H chart, as well as the 36H chart, and so on up the 2x9 scale. In practice, however, you lose the conjunction (and hence the minor aspect) if the orb is too wide. This is why people who look at harmonics use very narrow orbs!

Apparently there is astrology software that can show the minor aspects in the radix (natal) chart, with or without the major aspects. I don't happen to own it and I'm not sure what it is, but am guessing it's Solar Fire. Anyone? Alternatively I think Astrodienst lets you construct a radix chart that doesn't show aspect lines. So you could print one and just pencil in the ones you want.

MJ, I know of two ways to read a harmonic chart. #1, as !4C suggests, is to look at minor aspects such as the novile within the radix chart. This is helpful, because you get functional signs and houses. Most western astrologers don't use houses in harmonic charts, and debate whether signs are meaningful.

If a novile is hard to eyeball in a radix chart, you can look at data tables indicating the degrees of separation for each planet pair. In the case of the novile, look for planets 40 degrees apart. Or you can run a 9H harmonic chart, note the noviles, and then bring that information back to the radix chart. Maybe print off the chart and draw in the novile aspects if that makes them easier to see.

The other way, which I indicated above, is to interpret the harmonic chart as such. But what is a novile? It might act like a weak trine. Or, as Alice Portman (www.aliceportman.com ) observes, it might be an aspect of initiation. Transits or progressions making a novile aspect might be particularly interesting to watch. Harding and Harvey, Working with Astrology, see it as an aspect showing what gives you delight. In this context, trines in the 9H chart would show how your happiness flows easily; and 2-series aspects would show where it is more difficult.

Similarly, if you look at an 18H chart, we have a sense of what makes you happy, but there is an edge to it; perhaps something requiring more struggle or tension to manifest it because of the 2-series.

Vedic astrologers work extensively with harmonic charts, but I can't speak about it from experience.

PD187540

I recently decided to delve into the harmonic charts, specifically the 9th Harmonic. I really think it relates to the marriage partner very much, with possible hints towards career.

I'm not sure if you're supposed to exclusively use the Hindu/Lahiri sidereal system or the Western tropical system while erecting the 9th Harmonic chart, but I used both and saw very distinct similarities.

For one thing, using both systems, I discovered that Saturn is conjunct the Midheaven (like it is in my natal chart). So that's a very, very predominant theme in my life. MC is in Scorpio by birth, Sag in Hindu sidereal 9th Harmonic, and Leo in Tropical 9th Harmonic. Clearly indicates gov't/state work and law. Judging.

In both harmonic systems, I also have the north node conjunct the ascendant. It's in my 6th house natally. Here's an interpretation for the Ascendant conjunction:

You're able to shape your personality to be in harmony with prevailing social trends. This can make you popular, but also superficial. Your actions aren't based on fundamental convictions but on popularly accepted behavior. You're often tall, lanky, cheerful, optimistic and jovial. Your effusive outgoingness often prevents close personal relationships or lasting partnerships by making others feel inhibited and suspect a lack of sincerity. You can be serious and calculating when dealing with the public or partners.

Very good for politics, huh? Tall, lanky, cheerful, optimistic and jovial is usually me (although I have a slight inner pessimism).

As far as marriage partners go, I found a significant correlation when looking at only the Sun and Moon of both harmonic systems. For example, using the Western tropical harmonic system, my Sun is at 10 Libra and Moon is at 28 Sagittarius. Besides that all being about law, I recently met someone who has a 29 Sag Moon and I really feel a strong connection.

That connection also has ties to my 9th Harmonic sidereal chart. In that chart, my Sun is at 8 Pisces, Moon is at 25 Taurus. And my new interest has a Pisces Sun at around 8 degrees.

Interesting, huh? Basically, if any of those 2 Suns or 2 Moons are conjunct your potential partner's Sun and/or Moon, I think there would be a very strong connection between those 2 people.

Last edited:

Krewster

Taking !4C's comment perhaps one step further, for various reasons harmonic charts obfuscate the minors in today's computer age (since several astro programs support tweaking of the aspect set to your heart's content to show minors mixed in with majors in the natal chart wheel) although the harmonic technique was very helpful some decades ago.

If the birth data is provide, I would recast your chart to post an image of your novile (and semi-novile) family aspects as they connect in to your personal planets participating in other major and minor aspects (so that you can blend to taste the (counter)balancing influences without having to click back and forth through 12 or more different harmonic charts while painstankingly memorizing what is not in front of your eyes.