Harmonic Astrology

mr.hyde

Hi guys i have been reading a bit about harmonic astrology and charts and i still dont get it its very complicated ,is it something like midpoints( an point where energy release it self ):confused::confused: or is it something else
1 First Harmonic describes the natal chart representing being, survival, existence, names, identity.

2 Second Harmonic describes values, portable possessions, money, self worth, awareness of differences.

3 Third Harmonic describes communication, perception, understanding, ideas, local environments, and acknowledgement.

4 Fourth Harmonic describes real estate, fixed possessions, home, family, safety, security, roots, ancestry.

5 Fifth Harmonic describes creativity, romance, children, investments, lovers, hobbies, and being the center.

6 Sixth Harmonic describes service and service providers, perfection, colleagues, animal companions.

7 Seventh Harmonic describes relationships, steady partners, the public, contracts, polarities.

8 Eighth Harmonic describes sharing possessions and values, sex, intimacy, credit, loans, insurance.

9 Ninth Harmonic describes truth, religion, philosophy, law, morality, ethics.

10 Tenth Harmonic describes personal goals, success, leaders, bosses, parents, purposes.

11 Eleventh Harmonic describes shared creativity, investments, others' children, cooperation, teamwork.

12 Twelfth Harmonic describes karma, privacy, low profile efforts, service debts, career communications.
here are some keywords of some harmonic CHARTS CAN U TELL ME WHAT U GUYS KNOW ABOUT HARMONIC ASTROLOGY:):)

Think it's best you get to grips with the basics first.

Amongst other things, astrology is a wonderful tool for understanding yourself and others better.....enabling us to make better choices in life as we become aware of how our behaviour influences what happens to us through the law of cause and effect. Astrology does not reliably predict the future.......But it can provide an excellent insight into the psychological make-up of people, enabling us to accurately predict their behaviour and it's resultant effects

If you intend to learn about astrology, you will need to begin with a natal chart, it need not necessarily be your own, but many choose to begin this way, in an effort to better understand their own life journey, and purpose. Astrological natal charts are as individual as a persons ‘fingerprints’ depending on where (latitude & longitude) and time of birth.It is important to get your *time of your birth* as this is the most important information.

Here are my personal recommend beginners links to focus upon Natal charts:-
I hope that you come here and want to learn about astrology and join in with exchanges. There ever expanding Education forum here and lots more to explore. http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12556 or try http://www.bobmarksastrologer.com/TOClessons.htm
http://www.geocities.com/wilsontctc/
http://www.cafeastrology.com/natalastrology.html

House systems
Lots of people that come into Astrology get their free charts calculated at www.astro.com and the default ‘house system’ used is Placidus and think that’s just the norm and all that there is……..BUT that is just the tip of the iceberg. You can change the default on astro.com in Extended Chart selection to Equal house and a few more.

Throughout the forums but mainly in natal astrology there are two main branches Placidus (unequal size houses) v Equal House (whereby each house is same size) but lots more……. For more information on these go here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_house_system#Equal_House
http://www.astrolozy.com/article19.asp
http://www.skyviewzone.com/birthinfoforms2/housesexplained.htm

It's only with study and research will you be able to assess where your planets are deposited and in which houses... thus see which 'glove fits'

Shokk

Harmonic charts involve multiplying the positions of planets by a number so that they move to new points, and each number corresponds to a house, basically.
As I understand it the second Harmonic chart would shift things around such that oppositions become conjunctions,
in the 3rd harmonic trines would become conjunctions, in the 4th, squares become conjunctions.
The 1st harmonic is just your basic natal chart, so conjunctions are conjunctions.
The actual nuts-and-bolts of how it works are a bit hazy for me, and I haven't really looked at harmonic charts much at all so I couldn't say anything as to their usefulness or accuracy or anything, let alone interpretation.
Clearer explanations found here: http://www.newage-directory.com/harmonic.htm

lilllybelle

Could anyone sum up in one or two sentences what the purpose of harmonic astrology is? I used to have software that would calculate harmonic charts, but I never understood what harmonic astrology is all about

Shokk

lilllybelle said:
Could anyone sum up in one or two sentences what the purpose of harmonic astrology is? I used to have software that would calculate harmonic charts, but I never understood what harmonic astrology is all about
As I understand it, the Harmonic Charts are supposed to give you greater insight into each individual house. Such that the 2nd harmonic gives a deeper look into your natal 2nd house, the 8th harmonic into your natal 8th house. However the 1st harmonic is just you, your natal chart as it normally is.

starlink

Harmonic astrology is used to find aspects in the natal chart which are very difficult to see at first sight. A square is very easy to spot, but a sesquiquadrate or a septile much less, and certain harmonics are specifically made to find such aspects in your natal chart. They will show up in your chart as either conjunctions, oppositions, trines, all according to their energy. There is a lot of info on harmonics in the internet. Have a look.

EJ53

Banned
starlink said:
Harmonic astrology is used to find aspects in the natal chart which are very difficult to see at first sight.

The history of Harmonic Astrology might be worth mentioning here.

As you know Star (but others might not), John Addey developed Harmonic astrology before computers enabled us to easily calculate and draw up charts showing both major and minor aspects.....So, astrologers would calculate/draw/interpret only the major aspects of a chart because it was very difficult to see the minor aspects.....But, modern computer software now calculates/draws either of the charts below "at the touch of a button" :-
640949e2f5cecf66e.jpg

Thus, we can now readily see that Mercury/Pluto/Uranus and Jupiter in this chart are "linked" by the green-lined semi/sesqi-squares.......eliminating the need to calculate and draw up the 8th Harmonic Chart (in which these 4 planets would appear as a conjunction).

Consequently, the original benefits of harmnic astrology were outdated by computer software developments.......although it has made us aware of the strong influence of "minor aspects" (if within harmonic orbs).....Nevertheless, the original concept remains of interest and is explained at
http://accessnewage.com/articles/astro/ha_intro.htm

However, when presenting his original concept to the Astrological Community, Addey put forward a number of ways/areas in which his theory might be developed........and, in the 50+ years since then, considerable efforts have been made to develop/extend the original concept.....all under the name/guise of harmonics, which has led to confusion around the Net about the use of "Harmonic Astrology" and the term "harmonics".

Hence, the first step to understanding modern harmonics is to ascertain which of it's "spin-off" developments is being referred to.

EJ:)

Last edited:

starlink

Thank you EJ, as always very well informed!

Yes I knew about John Addey's idea about this. I have David Hamblin's "Harmonic Charts" in my collection of astrological books but must admit that at the time when I acquired it, I was still too "green" to really comprehend it all.
It would be good to start giving those minors a bit more attention. I know Gaer does it religiously.

It is one thing to know which planets are connecting via minor aspects, another what it means. Far too little is really mentioned here.
I have somewhere good info on what they represent in a chart, will dig it up and post it when I'm back from vacation. (end of April back).

Cheers, Starlink

EJ53

Banned
starlink said:
....It is one thing to know which planets are connecting via minor aspects, another what it means....

Yes, Star......but, even there, Bil Tierney's "Dynamics of Aspect Analysis" now takes our understanding of minor aspects beyond those proposed by John Addey and David Hamblin.

For example, in the posted chart above, we "always knew" that the Mercury/Pluto square in fixed signs and houses might make the individual stubborn/unable to mentally let go of ideas/issues.....and that the Jupiter/Uranus opposition can produce "off-the-wall" thinking/eccentricity.

Then, harmonic astrology showed us the connection between these four planets, and David Hamblin ascertained that the 8th harmonic chart shows us where individuals will "insist upon persisting with activities"......thus making our example someone who may pursue their own unique ideas long after others have concluded there is no point in doing so.

And later, Bil Tierney tells us that these two "upper" semi-squares in the chart indicates someone who will "attempt to mould his/her envirionment according to their own social vision of how things should ideally be"......and the two "lower" sesqui-squares point to an overblown sense of pride which causes the individual to react defensively to criticism/behave in a manner that alienates others.........Consequently, the aspects in the posted chart are actually indicative of someone who might try to impose his/her own eccentric views upon others in an obnoxious manner.......An interpretaton which goes beyond that (originally) revealed by harmonics......(And one that makes me reluctant to admit that the posted chart is my own).

Last edited:

EJ53

Banned
Shokk said:
As I understand it, the Harmonic Charts are supposed to give you greater insight into each individual house. Such that the 2nd harmonic gives a deeper look into your natal 2nd house, the 8th harmonic into your natal 8th house. However the 1st harmonic is just you, your natal chart as it normally is.

This seems to be one of the developments of John Addey's original Harmonics theory.......(and is clearly what Mr.Hyde is referring to in the opening comment of the thread)........Another development is "age harmonics" (see http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dymock/contents.html )....and there are others, on which information can be easily found by searching the Net (as suggested already by Starlink).

gaer

EJ53 said:
And later, Bil Tierney tells us that these two "upper" semi-squares in the chart indicates someone who will "attempt to mould his/her envirionment according to their own social vision of how things should ideally be"......and the two "lower" sesqui-squares point to an overblown sense of pride which causes the individual to react defensively to criticism/behave in a manner that alienates others.........Consequently, the aspects in the posted chart are actually indicative of someone who might try to impose his/her own eccentric views upon others in an obnoxious manner.......An interpretaton which goes beyond that (originally) revealed by harmonics......(And one that makes me reluctant to admit that the posted chart is my own).
EJ, I laughed for almost the first time in a couple days when I read the above. I recognized it immediately from your chart but would never have said a thing.

But I would like to add something. This pattern in your chart is completed in a way that is highly unusual. There is something about completion that both solififies a potential problem (or challenge) but perhaps also makes it easier to overcome, because the challenge is quite clear.

The other thing I think we need to study more is the unusual nature of 8th harmonics, since they may connect planets that are in signs that are normally compatible—or not.

As is the case with 5th and 7th harmonics (quintile and septile-type), the signs themselves often seem to contradict the meaning of the aspects, making it VERY difficult to pin down what they mean and how they work. :)

g

EJ53

Banned
gaer said:
EJ, I laughed for almost the first time in a couple days when I read the above.

This is progress for me...........Usually, the feedback I get from this aspect combination is irritation/anger and a comment along the lines of "If I ever get my hands on you........"

....This pattern in your chart is completed in a way that...perhaps...makes it easier to overcome....

Easier to recognise, but maybe not to overcome.

....The other thing I think we need to study more is the unusual nature of 8th harmonics, since they may connect planets that are in signs that are normally compatible—or not......As is the case with 5th and 7th harmonics (quintile and septile-type), the signs themselves often seem to contradict the meaning of the aspects, making it VERY difficult to pin down what they mean and how they work.

Yes.......in relation to the thread though, it's a question of how to study them.....As you know, the zodiac signs in Harmonic Charts have no meaning....So the study would be of 5th/7th/8th harmonic aspects as they appear in the natal chart......which I suspect would be "educational", particularly for those who are not yet considering the impact of "minor aspects" upon astrological interpretations........But, that probably requires a new thread (since it's really more about aspects than harmonics).

gaer

EJ,

I can see this developing into a new thread OR belonging here.

This may be a bit disjointed:

I said:
Gaer said:
....This pattern in your chart is completed in a way that...perhaps...makes it easier to overcome....
You said:
EJ said:
Easier to recognise, but maybe not to overcome.
The "overcome" part is perhaps something that only we can recognize within ourselves. At the risk of being simplistic, it helps me to think of the balance of difficult aspects to easy ones in assessing what the "native" has to overcome.

We all know exceptional human beings whose charts contain so many difficult aspects that we would normally expect them to be crushed by them. There is no way to know the strength or purity or evolution of the spirit connected to a chart.

I have never looked at a "harmonic chart". I don't even know what it is yet. Frankly, from reading this thread I've become more and more confused. So far I stop after 8ths and have mostly skipped 5th and 7ths. My reasoning is that even semi-sextiles and inconjuncts easly form logical patterns with major aspects. A good example is that of a planet that is 30 degrees away from one end of an opposition that is very close to exact. Obviously that planet is going to form both a semi-sextile and an inconjunct. If another planet is square to the opposition, again very small orb, all sorts of connections result.

Quintiles and septiles seem to relate only to themselves. If a planet is quintile to one end of an opposition, it will be 108 degrees from the other end, but now you are dealing with 10ths. In order to have a completed quintile pattern, you have to have five of them, or something that addes up, such as two biquintles and a quintile. To me this harmonic seems to be disconnected from everything else. I sense that it is important, but I have yet to read any analysis that seems to be clear.

What is unusual about 8ths is that they DO interconnect with major aspects, as is so clear from you own chart. What is rare is that you have to have an opposition and a square with very close orbs, separated at each end by 45 degrees. But when that happens, in come the 135 degree 8ths.

To me this is like adding "sharp edges" to two major aspects that are already very difficult. Let me offer my own idea, just as an idea. Pluto square Mercury is pretty clear. There are numerous explanations of the meaning. Uranus oppostite Jupiter, also easily found, though I think the meaning of both aspects should be rather clear, intuitively. To my eye the 8th harmonics here connect those to aspects so that they become dynamically linked. You can't overcome one without overcoming the other.

In your chart the signs involved are so complex that I think the aspects need to be temporarily looked at, alone. Uranus and Jupiter make a close opposition, yet they are out of sign. Pluto/Mercury at least are solidly in two fixed signs, a simpler square to think about. So your combination of aspects and sign, I think, confounds most people who look at them. It is horrendously complicated. I don't think it is a stretch to say that 8th harmonics describe very complicated things, subtle, but definitely difficult.
Yes.......in relation to the thread though, it's a question of how to study them.....As you know, the zodiac signs in Harmonic Charts have no meaning....
No. I don't know that. The idea of creating a chart only for harmonics and not considering the signs is totally new to me.
So the study would be of 5th/7th/8th harmonic aspects as they appear in the natal chart......which I suspect would be "educational", particularly for those who are not yet considering the impact of "minor aspects" upon astrological interpretations........But, that probably requires a new thread (since it's really more about aspects than harmonics).
Of course a new thread could be started. I would participate either here or elsewhere. :)

g

milkywaygirl

harmonic astrology is based on number symbolism, which is at the heart of astrology. the circle divided by 1 is 360, unity, conjunction. by 2 is 180, opposition, polarity, duality, challenge. by 3 is 120, the trine, harmony, ease etc. the aspects produced by dividing the circle by the number in question carry the vibration of the number being used.

harmonic astrology theory carries on this idea to develop meanings for each number, so for example the 5th harmonic is the circle divided by 5 (72 degrees, the quintile). 5 is the number of mankind, as well is seen as 2 + 3, where 2, an even number, represents the feminine/negative (feminine signs being 2nd [taurus], 4th[cancer], 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th) combining with 3, an odd number, the masculine/positive (masculine signs being 1st, 3rd ... etc), to make something bigger than its parts. you can also look at 5 as being 4 + 1(4 being physical manifestation and 1 being the spark of consciousness).

the quintile, biquintile and other 5th harmonic aspects all have in them the idea of "bringing form to matter" and so are concerned with the linking of seemingly disparate things to bring into creation something that wasnt there before. it is linked with the creation of art in that art is something imbued with spirit, created from simple matter. other harmonics follow the same principle of number symbolism.

you can use a specific harmonic chart to get a better idea of an individuals propensity towards a certain number vibration, for as has been mentioned, quintiles in a 5th harmonic chart will show up as conjunctions (i cant recall the exact mechanics involved that produce other major aspects in harmonic charts at the moment). usually you will get some striking aspect patterns turn up in a particular harmonic chart, indicating that individuals innate resonance with whatever is represented by that number and the planets/angles involved.

the 9th harmonic for example is all about perfection (3 x 3, harmony x harmony) and in vedic astrology the 9th harmonic chart is used to represent the ideal mate for the individual, as it would be the potentials and qualities in this chart that would represent the perfected version of the individual. i prefer to use the 9th harmonic chart to see what kind of qualities the individual should aim for in order to achieve their perfected self, most in harmony with the universe.

i've actually been fooling around with the quindecile lately which is a 24th harmonic aspect (the quindecile being 165 degrees --- 360 / 24 x 11), which is proving to be very telling in terms of indicating points of unrelenting motivation. it is based around the idea of what one may find happiness/contentness (3) to produce (8) (3x8 = 24), being multiplied by 11 which is a master number, and among other things, is a symbol of vision, invention, higher ideals, fulfillment. noel tyl describes the quindecile as "an aspect of unrelenting moitvation, obsession, determination, upheaval, disruption, even separation".

Last edited:

gaer

This is where I get lost
milkywaygirl said:
you can use a specific harmonic chart to get a better idea of an individuals propensity towards a certain number vibration, for as has been mentioned, quintiles in a 5th harmonic chart will show up as conjunctions.
I'm dead tired and probably in no condition to think about anything, but I think if I saw such a chart, I might get an idea of what is going on. I just can't picture quntiles showing up as conjunctions. In my chart Uranus is biquintile Chiron, orb of 1:33, applying.

But the quintile that interests me is Sun quintile Jupiter, applying at barely under 1/2 degree. My feeling for a long time is that this should be important. I just don't know how.

milkywaygirl

gaer said:
This is where I get lost

I'm dead tired and probably in no condition to think about anything, but I think if I saw such a chart, I might get an idea of what is going on. I just can't picture quntiles showing up as conjunctions. In my chart Uranus is biquintile Chiron, orb of 1:33, applying.

But the quintile that interests me is Sun quintile Jupiter, applying at barely under 1/2 degree. My feeling for a long time is that this should be important. I just don't know how.

i'll try to dig up some info about the mechanics later on for you (i learnt it once but i'm not good with the little details and so it was in one ear and out the other!), but in the meantime post your info i'll create your 5th harmonic chart and take a stab at the interp for you.

gaer

milkywaygirl said:
i'll try to dig up some info about the mechanics later on for you (i learnt it once but i'm not good with the little details and so it was in one ear and out the other!), but in the meantime post your info i'll create your 5th harmonic chart and take a stab at the interp for you.
Thank you.

My info is right in my signature and has been for a very long time.. :)

Birth data: Oct 3 1948 3:26 am EST +5:00 73W55 41N42 Poughkeepsie, NY (male)

10VirAC, for a check. Sun/Neptune/Moon in Placidus and most unequal house systems…

I have a feeling that creating these charts is different from anything I have ever seen. :)