Natal Indicators of Sexual Addiction/ Obsession in Horoscope.

dr. farr

Kannon is correct in pointing out that there is not some simple formula that applies in every case. There can be hints/indications of tendencies and susceptibilites; of possible diatheses (as the ancient Greeks called it) However, whether or not these hints become possibilities or even likelihoods, depends entirely upon the confluence of astrological testimonies found in the chart as an entire, wholistic and unique entity. In any chart there will be testimonies for something and (usually) testimonies against the same thing. The horoscopic art consists in the blending and relative evaluation of all of these varying testimonies, in coming to a final, probably delineation.

dr. farr

If you give credence to the earliest Greco/Roman astrologers (as I do to a great extent), then according to them (eg Dorotheus of Sidon, AD 50) there are certain "signs of desire" (lustful signs was another term) which, if prominent by position (such as on an angle, 6th house, 5th house, sometimes 8th house) or posited with certain Lots or prominent planets (especially Venus or Mars, sometimes the Sun too-of the traditional planets; I would guess Neptune and Pluto among the outers), often set-up in the native a susceptible diathesis in this particular direction (excess or intense "desire").

These signs are:

Aries - Leo
Taurus
Capricorn
Pisces

Potential House positions of relevant Signs or Planets

5th house = pleasure (possible excess desire for physical pleasures of all sorts)

6th house = excess libidinous drive affecting the health, or alternatively having its roots in a health problem (including mental health)

8th house = affinity to reproductive organs: excess causing problems in the reproductive tract or alternatively a physical irritation or other disturbance in the reproductive organs causing the excess drive

4th house = experiences in the early home life (traumatic in nature) setting up a trend to excess in the sexual area

10th house = sex drive connected with career advancement, nature of career/enterprise; sex drive amped along with ambition for maximum advancement in the world

1st house = excess libido part and parcel of the basic personality essence

Claire19

Potential House positions of relevant Signs or Planets

5th house = pleasure (possible excess desire for physical pleasures of all sorts)

6th house = excess libidinous drive affecting the health, or alternatively having its roots in a health problem (including mental health)

8th house = affinity to reproductive organs: excess causing problems in the reproductive tract or alternatively a physical irritation or other disturbance in the reproductive organs causing the excess drive

4th house = experiences in the early home life (traumatic in nature) setting up a trend to excess in the sexual area

10th house = sex drive connected with career advancement, nature of career/enterprise; sex drive amped along with ambition for maximum advancement in the world

1st house = excess libido part and parcel of the basic personality essence
This is very far ranging and sounds like a predominantly male thing. If the aspects to Pluto and Mars are in these houses or ruling then maybe...
Sex is a basic urge and to some all pervading apparently.

Claire19

Id say Pluto in the first is definitely a good indicator.

Also Mars conjunct pluto, venus conjunct pluto.

Seems to have a lot to do with pluto lol
Definitely Pluto's domain....but what is sex addiction, how is it defined??
inappropriate places, people or objects????? out of control urges???
cant get enough????

Claire19

Kannon is correct in pointing out that there is not some simple formula that applies in every case. There can be hints/indications of tendencies and susceptibilites; of possible diatheses (as the ancient Greeks called it) However, whether or not these hints become possibilities or even likelihoods, depends entirely upon the confluence of astrological testimonies found in the chart as an entire, wholistic and unique entity. In any chart there will be testimonies for something and (usually) testimonies against the same thing. The horoscopic art consists in the blending and relative evaluation of all of these varying testimonies, in coming to a final, probably delineation.
This is the fascination of astrology in that there are different scenarios for every individual case but the planets i.e. Mars and Pluto, pertinent to the issue are always involved in some way, but no set formula, no.

divine g

Banned
My ex has Pluto in Scorpio(12th) directly opposite Mars in Taurus (6th), both squaring Venus in Aquarius (3rd).

She's a pretty intense person with tons of energy, and is hopelessly addicted to cigarettes, alcohol and me it seems.

Any square to Pluto will make someone obsessive, because Pluto never really gives up, and the square is like a block placed in its path that it can't get around, so it makes it want it even more. Pluto rules our dark subconscious where we store everything, all our memories, grudges, and ill feelings, and sexual feelings are always there. Controlling his obsessiveness would require some positive trines or sextiles to good old Saturn.

My Saturn in 1st is sextile my Pluto in 3rd, so I have tremendous self-control when it comes to sex. My Pluto in 3rd does give me somewhat obsessive thoughts. I still think about all my exes, even though deep down, I know theres' no chance of us physically re-connecting again. I think a well placed Saturn helps with addictions.

I wouldn't include Neptune in the equation unless it's badly aspected. Neptune likes to keep things in the realm of fantasy, and there's nothing wrong with dreaming about it. Dreams and fantasies change, true to Pisces mutable nature. The fixed Scorpio nature, ruled by Pluto is really the number 1 indicator to study in signs of addiction, and how to deal with it.

*I will add that Saturn conjuncting Mars will show very strict sexual discipline, or Saturn in 1st may actually be prone to impotence, due Saturn's cold energy in Mars's hot-blooded 1st house (gotta keep the blood moving here). A better aspect to Mars would be the sextile or trine. Opposition may show an ascetic, a square may show someone very sexually frustrated.

Last edited:

divine g

Banned
Actually I think the best formula which would indicate Sex Addiction is the aspect between Mars(rules Sex) and Pluto (rules Addiction).

1 positive aspect (sextile, trine) would be either a healthy sex drive, or maybe sex just comes easily, or having children come easily, (as having children is the basic point of sex.)

A negative aspect (square or opposition) would show blockages in expressing sexual energy, or even repressing it completely, being celibate, cold, or frigid. Or this may show alot of difficulty in achieving satisfaction with the sex act, so they are constantly seeking to scratch that "itch", so to speak, looking for a fix like one who's addicted to drugs.

Sex does release dopamine, so in a ways, sex is a drug in itself. The more you do it, the more you're likely you'll want more. So basically, if the body (Mars) is phsically addicted to sex(mars), then that person will stray from marriage, consistently, and literally may be comparable to one who just can't quit cigarettes, or drugs etc. Basically, if it hurts you or your family or your relationships or career (see Clinton or Spitzer scandals, etc), then maybe the negative Mars/Pluto aspect is an addictive force, bigger than them, and hard to control.

A retrograde planet here could be interpreted as "backwards" in society's eyes. Any negative aspect would cause a negative use of sex energy. Pluto rules a fixed sign, Scorpio, so any planets in Scorpio would also be a good indicator. Both my exes had planets on the same degree in Scorpio, the first one's sun, was conjunct the second one's ascendant. They were physically very similar. And both our relationships were pretty intense. Pluto Square or opposite Venus would show maybe an obsession more with the relationship, than the actual sex.

Last edited:

divine g

Banned
I would say Pluto in the houses would show were we all have obsessive tendencies.

In 1st, may have an obsession with sex, and physical appearance, or just may have tons of physical pressure on them which they need to release, physically.
In 2nd, may obsess over having money, and obsess over possesions. This may show that a physical addiction may possess them, they are in a sense "owned" or slaves to the substance their addicted to, out of need to feel some pleasure of the senses. A slave to their senses, or sensuality, or very possessive, treat others like sex objects.
In 3rd, may have obssesive thoughts, compulsion to constantly write or speak, or close friends have addictions (which killed some of them in my case)
In 4th obsessed with privacy, will keeping everything secret, esp the addiction(or addiction may be rooted in the family). May be compulsive eater, where food is the drug they're addicted to.
In 5th, may show a gambling addiction, obsession with a sport, or addicted to the thrill of the chase in dating. And yes, the physical act of procreating, or having sex may be a very intense experience for them, and they may get addicted to it, or actively seek it alot, as stress relief, or for "fun".
In 6th may show a workaholic or health-nut, obsessed w/a productive daily routine, or an addiction which eats their daily life and healthy away. This is where the addiction may directly impact employment or ability to function in daily life. May work with the addicted or have to deal with them daily.
In 7th addiction to another in a controlling relationship,stalking, obsessed w/an enemy, or how others view them. Or maybe it shows partners who are addicted.
**In 8th may show a real sex addiction here, or obssessed with solving mysteries, getting to the bottom of things. Obsessed with psychologically probing others, may be an addiction to underworld activities
In 9th addiction to learning, obsession with far away lands, or obsessed and fixated with certain religious beliefs.
In 10th addiction to fame, obsession over famous people(Pluto in Cap now, so arent we all). Or famous people whose addictions are well-known, or people obsessed with their public image, reputation, or achieving success is like a compulsion.
In 11th addiction being common to your peer group, or obsession with a certain cause. Your social group, or network obsessed with the same things. A society under addictions.
In 12th may show a deep rooted addiction or obsession that originated from a past lifetime, or is of mysterious origin. Here, they have a real chance of getting swept up in Neptunes' currents of drugs/alcohol, as the 12th is also the house of one's own undoing..Being controlled by an archetypal force, or some otherworldly spirit...

Last edited:

adrianastrologer

Divine G,

I think you are definitely onto something with your analysis. But I find that Mars Square Pluto in my chart is also about feeling a sense of power through sexual "conquests". The problem is that if you are creatively blocked in other areas, it can become the only way of expressing pleasure, creativity, relationship - sex, sex, and more sex. That's where the addiction can come in. I've definitely been there. I also have Venus Square Pluto at the same time (I mentioned this in an earlier post) and this is sometimes attributed to one whose life is pretty much "eaten up by sex".

I do want to bring up, because I think it is relevant, the whole idea of the sacred prostitute. Or rather the sexual healer. (Venus/Pluto transformed) I know sometimes when i've had anonymous sex it hasn't been from a very high place, but there have been other times where I know I've brought healing through sexual encounters. (Venus conjunct Mars in Gemini.) I sometimes feel fully realized through sex. Where is the place in our society (or in our chart) where a person is highly sexual, but it is seen not as compulsion but as service (to a higher good)?

divine g

Banned
Adrianastrologer,

Yes, I was going to say Taurus is definitely the sign of sexual healing, and sex workers have their place, as it is the world's oldest profession, so they say. Have to be careful with this subject though, as thread's can get out of hand and closed when things get too controversial.

But anyway, Venus plays a part in sex addiction, in the Taurean sense needing pleasure. Venus would also play a part in food addiction. Mars and Venus are a pair, so the 2 do go together. My ex had Venus square both Pluto and Mars, so she's just a textbook case for this convo. Her Mars is in Taurus. Chocolate, massages, sleeping in, rich meals, she's all about that...but when sexually frustrated, or denied that comfort, she's just a volcano of energy.

But being that Venus isn't a malefic, and Mars is, a Mars-type addiction may be harder to kick, as it is a red-blooded need for sex, where as with Venus, it's more a matter of taste, beauty, and preference etc. A sex-addicted person will take it from anyone, regardless of their aesthetics, that's the difference. I guess that's how a sex-addict who is a prostitute can deal with some of their less aesthetically pleasing clients, they'll take it as long as they get their fix. The average woman may desire sex just as much, but their Venusian sensibilities would be repulsed at the thought. So I guess sex workers are doing their job, bc if not for them, who would have sex with all the ugly people? :tongue: Just kidding of course..

Chiron in Taurus denotes sexual healing, Kundalini energy and tantra etc. But like I said, it's best not go too deeply into these topics in this forum, as it may offend some people..but thanks for sharing.

ps Let's not forget, there's also various stages of addiction. You always have the extremists (Pluto) who aren't just addicted to coffee, but need 10 cups a day..not just addicted to cigarettes, but smoke 4 packs a day. So no need to be alarmed and think you're an addict, anyone, if you just love sex :innocent:

Last edited:

adrianastrologer

Thanks for the warning, Divine G. I find it hard to not talk honesty (Moon in Scorpio) but I know there are limits, and if you have something deeper to share, I imagine you can write it privately - I like to share openly.

I appreciate what you're saying about the prostitute, but I'm wondering if there is another option, where it isn't prostitution per say, but someone who is selective, isn't getting paid, but just uses sex in healing and transformation. I'll think about this some more, and maybe comment later.

Interesting to hear about your ex - as I have Mars and Venus square Pluto I can definitely relate. I wonder if she ever solved it, or if she continues to struggle with it. I was smart enough to make the decision several years ago to stop drinking and using drugs, but it's amazing - I can get similar highs through food and sex, so I have to really set boundaries in any area of my life where I can be out of control with pleasure.

Sometimes it's easy to look at parts of one's chart like a curse, but I have to be believe that the Pluto placements can be transformed into something powerful and useful. Like you said when your ex abstained, she had so much energy. Maybe this energy, but to other use (including sex but with discrimation) can be positive.

I'm working on shifting energy in the body, and have a richer, deeper experiences. My Mars and Venus in Gemini can make me a bit superficial in this area, so I'll keep working on it.

sex, sex, sex, sex - there, I said it!

Wildezword

This is a fascinating thread. I think there's a difference between sex obession and sex addiction.

I've known personally 4 people with Moon in Scorpio, 2 men and 2 women.

Honestly, only the two men seem sex addicted...as in they are literally dogging it out every other night, changing sex parters every few weeks, having sex sometimes multiple times in one day. One was an Aries Sun, the other a Gemini...so they were also extremely outgoing Fire/Air social personalities.

The two women didn't really have any obvious manifestation of Moon in Scorpio. One of the women actually said to me that she believed "sex is overrated" if you could believe that coming from the mouth of Moon in Scorpio. But, I do think both of the women are extremely deliberate about sex, and indulging in each individual act of sex always seemed like a calculation.

IMHO, Pluto gives sex obsession but not sex addiction per se, unless something else adds to it. In college, I know a Scorpio woman with the exact Venus/Pluto conjunction in Libra. She remained a virgin until married at the age of 23, but she was incredibly obsessed with the idea of sex, pining for a virgin male partner, as well. And a lot of men were infatuationed by her...literally she would walk into a room, and we would all grow stupid.

Neptune adds a LOT to sexual fantasy, but in my personal experience, it doesn't really add to my desire for sex itself. I have an exact Venus/Pluto square and very close Mars/Neptune conjunction. I like fantasizing about it, but sometimes I enter these phases where sex is just "too physical" for me, or I'm caught up in some inspired task, so that I turn down sex when offered. Neptune types can get drawn into sex easily by seducers or when looking for security, but I wouldn't technically call it an sex-oriented addiction on their part.

So, for aggressive sex addiction, I would look for:

1) personal planets in Scorpio
2) Mars in a feminine (Earth/Water) sign, aspecting other planets
3) LACK of Neptune contacts that would dissolve the physical impluse.

For sex obession, I would look for:

1) Afflictions or conjunctions with Pluto
2) Afflictions of conjunctions to Venus

These suggestions are just off the top of my head. Just adding my 2 cents.

C0rnholio

An excellent thread! Thank you for all the contributions.

You guys forgot about the Jupiter. A Mars - Jupiter square (or a conjunction in a proper sign) makes more sex more fun. :)

A Mars - Neptune square makes girls more sexual. Not sure about guys though, probably not in that same direction.

I've hears something similar to what is said in the first post. Mars and Venus in "animal" signs (Aries, Taurus, Cancer, Leo, Scorpio, (either early or late) Sagittarius, , Capricorn and Pisces) are more sexual. Of then, the three fire signs have more sexual energy.

... Will I ever "score"?

Aquachime

OK so I know someone quite well who has been labelled addicted to sex by a male who himself has Mars in the 1st hse square Nept, Pluto conjuct Sun, Merc- & Venus conjunct Uranus. He has been gaoled for a sexual offence in his youth. He claims this female is more obsessed than he even is!!

The female has Merc opppsite Pluto, Venus in Aqu. square 12th hse Nept in Scorp. Venus opposite Mars. Sun conjunct Jupiter in the 5th hse. Moon from the 12th hse conjuncts Asc, squares Pluto & Uranus and rules the 8th hse. Interestingly the Sun/Jupiter-Mars-Moon/Asc form a Grand Trine and Venus sextiles the Asc. Venus also conjuncts Saturn so there is a Saturn square to Nept also.

vanila

I'm not sex addicted but I somehow express myself through sex and erotic...
it is very private but at the same time it is one part of me that I really don't want to hold on inside and can't hold .....and I like act art, nude black white photography etc...and passionate sexual scenes...it is very strong urge..the drive is periodical...but when in pick very dominant and hard to hold, very powerful....
in my chart Moon conjunct Pluto in Scorpio ...orb less than 1 degree square Mercury on the DSC...Mercury ruler of 5th and 8th house...Mars conjunct Sun...orb 6 degrees..in Cancer....Venus in Taurus opposite Saturn on MC...Scorpio...
it is messy ......:smile:

scorpittarian

ooooo la la.........an astrologer looking at my chart would have said that i must have raped atleast 5 men by now.....

8H/5H ruler is mercury(virgo/gem)
mercury conj venus
mercury out of sign conj pluto
moon(in virgo, merc ruler) is in the 8H sextile pluto
pluto in scorpio in 10H....
pluto sextile asc.
jupiter(dispositor of my sun,venus,mercury n mars) in scorpio unaspected.

i do have sluttish tendencies :innocent: but i haven't acted upon them yet. i tried experimentn(ura conj asc :alien:) wd casual sex twice but failed :joyful:......i need to feel emotionally close to the guy(like in love) to actually go ahead with it.....desc's in cuddly, softy,coochy poochy cancer after all :tongue:

i've also read that pluto in the 10th could mean that u end up in the sex industry or something. however,i'm still a virgin n i intend to lose it to someone who i share mutual love n care with....sex addict? NO...i've a normal drive n em pretty much in control of my desires n unpredictable thoughts....:innocent:.....but that could be the saturn in my chart. i think of sx only when i've nothing else to do.....or wn i have a bf(like i'm almost always single :annoyed:)

saturn(chart ruler) in the 1st square pluto.
n out of sign sq merc.

my friend hs a very high sex drive...she once told a random guy that she wants his ....... n ws staring at it....
mars conj pluto in scorpio.
sun in scorpio.
her mercury's somewhere in scorpio i think.

adrianastrologer

Divine G,

Thanks for this guide on Pluto. It was really helpful for me, and I think very accurate. My father had Pluto in the 5th house and had sexual compulsive issues as well as a gambling problem that we discovered after his death.

I also have Pluto in the 5th house. I find that interesting that I would have that, and I also have my father's name, I am a third.

Thanks again.