Random Thoughts, strictly Text

moonkat235

Ugh. Were you lifting when you did that? I don't like it when the sides of knees pop. No sir.

Girl, I have no clue. I've been doing Tarot for myself for 22 years, but I've had no structure, rarely follow any rules, and the only books I've read on it are the ones that came with my decks. I first learned sitting around a campfire with some hippies on a mountain, so I've always taken a very intuitive approach.

I think the most interesting thing about the Tarot that people usually don't know is that it represents a surprisingly linear narrative of the Fool's journey to enlightenment.

lol I legit have no idea what to do right now about work, because it hurts so much. Ugh. I was doing the leg press, but only on 115 pounds, so Idk why it's doing this.

lol some hippies on a mountain. Gurl, I'd so be about that. haha I tend to read a decent amount on tarot, or at least I have in the past. I posted some exercises for tarot on chat thread a long time ago for CT.

I've definitely heard about the Fool's/Hero's Journey aspect of the Major Arcana. It resonated with me because of my interest in fiction writing and storytelling.

I forgot if I've ever asked before, but what deck(s) do you have?

These are some exercises for tarot that I used to cycle through pretty regularly, found a lot of them on blogs:

DAILY DRAW
Shuffle and cut the deck however you please. Draw one card to represent the day or your present self. Meditate with the card and examine the imagery on the card. Without looking at the LWB or any tarot card meanings websites, stretch your mind and develop your own personal interpretation. Really challenge yourself when interpreting. Are there people in this card? What are they doing? How would you imagine their interaction? Is the person lonely/isolated? What’s going on in the setting? You can even research color meanings to round out your interpretation.

SAME CARDS DIFFERENT DECKS
If you have two or more tarot decks, you can decide on a card you want to compare and then examine how the different artists/tarot deck creators portray the essence of the card. Are there similarities? Differences? I personally believe that each deck has a slightly nuanced interpretation that is unique to it, rather than simply one universal meaning for all 78 cards. This exercise really helps you connect with specific decks and develops your new or existing relationship with it.

THE FOOL’S JOURNEY
The Major Arcana are not only Jungian archetypes, but also a parallel for the classic hero’s journey, a path to spiritual enlightenment. Journey with the Fool as s/he sets out into the world and write the story that unfolds.

OR

Examine your personal journey thus far and align the Major Arcana cards with major events that mark your life. (Optional: You can fill out the details of each event with Minor Arcana cards to delve deep into a trump’s meaning).

Meditate on each card to develop a personal connection with your deck.

TWO-CARD COMBOS
A good strategy for learning to interpret multiple cards in a spread, and their relationship to one another and the querent, is to pick two and practice. For this exercise, shuffle your cards, split them into two piles and flip the ones on top. Interpret the first card and then the second card separately. Then, tell the meanings between the two cards. What do they share or oppose in one another? How do the elements in the cards interact with each other? Tell the story.

SOUL MIRROR METHOD
This is a way to get to know yourself through the Major Arcana. Pick the card you resonate with the most, the one that is most appealing of the Major Arcana. Then pick the card that resonates the least with you, the least appealing. Lastly, pick the card that integrates both of them together and place it between the cards. Examine why you have chosen these cards.

This was intended for the Major Arcana, but the Minor Arcana can be used as well.

BAD CARDS, GOOD CARDS
Look through your deck and pull out all the cards that put you on edge. These are cards that you’d be nervous to draw in a reading. Stack them in a pile and then go through them one by one, thinking of how they might actually signal good energy for a reading. How can you reimagine their meaning?

Now, try the reverse. Pull out all the ‘good’ cards and meditate on how you can reinterpret them.

SPREAD LOCATION
Look at your favorite spread (or really any spread) and pick a card (any card). Place this card in each of the spread positions and interpret them accordingly.

REVERSAL READINGS
Randomly select a card from your deck and apply each reversal method reading to generate a variety of meanings for that card. (I will post different methods for reading reversals later this week). Synthesize your notes to form a concise interpretation of the reversed card.

Then, come up with three different scenarios that may relate to the reversed card and add these scenarios to your interpretation.

Meditate on the energy of your selected reversed card and identify real-life scenarios that occur throughout a week that relate to your meaning.

SYMBOLISM THEMES
Lay out all your cards on a table or the floor and look for common denominators, repeated symbolism that the artist deemed important. For instance, I have the Starchild Tarot by Danielle Noel and she uses a lot of moon imagery. I looked up the meanings of different phases of the moon and started interpreting the cards based off of whether the moon was waxing or waning, full or new.

MUSICAL TAROT
Pick a card, any card and think about its meaning. Think of a song that might best represent and interpret the card for you. If you are musically inclined, write your own musical interpretation of the card!

CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE!
Many authors use tarot for inspiration and to overcome writers’ block. Shuffle and cut the deck. Draw a card. This is the beginning of your story. Start writing or telling your story out loud. Maybe pull some court cards for characters! Draw another card and continue the story.

CREATE A CARD
Think of your favorite card. How would you create your own version of it? Use whatever artistic medium you feel comfortable with and get inspired! You can even make a collage out of snippets of magazines and books!

Witchyone

I'm not familiar with the concept of assigning planets to cards, only signs, but if I were to assign a planet to Judgement, it would probably be Saturn.

Witchyone

That's interesting. Why?

I associate both with karma and getting what one has earned, whether that be Heaven or Hell. Particularly looking at Rider-Waite-type decks, I think it's about being judged by the father (God, Saturn, the Universe). In my Druidcraft deck, Judgement is renamed "Rebirth" and has Gabriel blowing his horn as well as a rabbit and a child emerging from a doorway. I see this as the rebirth of the Fool into the next phase of development.

moonkat235

I associate both with karma and getting what one has earned, whether that be Heaven or Hell. Particularly looking at Rider-Waite-type decks, I think it's about being judged by the father (God, Saturn, the Universe). In my Druidcraft deck, Judgement is renamed "Rebirth" and has Gabriel blowing his horn as well as a rabbit and a child emerging from a doorway. I see this as the rebirth of the Fool into the next phase of development.

That's interesting. My Sun and Moon tarot co-named Death as Rebirth. Judgment in my Starchild tarot is called Awakening. In Sun and Moon or the Thoth tarot, Judgment is called Aeon.

Witchyone

That's interesting. My Sun and Moon tarot co-named Death as Rebirth. Judgment in my Starchild tarot is called Awakening. In Sun and Moon or the Thoth tarot, Judgment is called Aeon.

Cool. In the Haindl Tarot it's called Aeon too, and it's a very cool card.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/69/f6/13/69f6131b8f83e7cc00a660ee79091b08.jpg

I think decks that change the card from Judgment to something else are focused less on good/evil dichotomy and who is doing the judging and more on the idea of transformation from mortal body to immortal soul.

moonkat235

I don't see a perfect alignment of the two systems. It seems to me they arose separately from similar but not identical archetypes.

I could definitely see that perspective. I'm just thinking of the Inner Guide Meditation and some of my journeying experiences and I realize I don't have any concrete beliefs on whether the two systems align. I was intending to meet the Empress/Venus and figured they were the same archetypal energy that one time. I mean, at some point I just sorta give up trying to name and contextualize the beings I run into.

Witchyone

So, Moonkitty, this conversation we're having and those exercises you posted...I could see all of that in a Tarot discussion thread.

moonkat235

Cool. In the Haindl Tarot it's called Aeon too, and it's a very cool card.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/69/f6/13/69f6131b8f83e7cc00a660ee79091b08.jpg

I think decks that change the card from Judgment to something else are focused less on good/evil dichotomy and who is doing the judging and more on the idea of transformation from mortal body to immortal soul.

Agreed. I don't really think Judgment has ever meant good/evil to me though. I always kind of thought of it as transcendence/catharsis, but idk, still a noob. lol

Witchyone

Agreed. I don't really think Judgment has ever meant good/evil to me though. I always kind of thought of it as transcendence/catharsis, but idk, still a noob. lol

Well, now I'm about to speak about something I don't entirely know to be true, so take this with a grain of salt. I _think_ that the Tarot is based on many traditions, including some very old pre-Christian ones that do not come from the Greco-Roman mythologies. However, the practitioners of the time were Christian first, Tarot users second. They believed in a very strict duality with the Pope as the voice of god on Earth and the Christian God as the ultimate goodly power above, and that shows up in their decks. More modern decks reflect other ancient traditions as well as new age concepts. The Haindl is cool, because it attempts to bring together occult traditions from all over the world. This is most obvious in the court cards.

david starling

Its a fire card though. Jupiter don't make sense, neither does mars.

Could be chiron.

Jupiter does make sense, as Zeus. He sent the Great Flood according to the ancient Greeks, and rewarded and punished mortals and even deities all the time. He wasn't the "anything goes, just have fun" god associated with jovial Jupiter.

GemwDepth

Account Closed
Gem, you call "universal love" having on rose-colored glasses? Isn't that the goal and charge of almost every religion? I see it as true-seeing when a person can see the divine in each of us. That's what "namaste" means.

Some people are not capable of love, only vampirism. Alternate perspective. :joyful:

She's definitely an original person though. Never met anyone like her.

I am still calling indigo. Curious to see developments of right/wrong within time.