Orb allowed for a Moon conjunct Mercury aspect?

tenacapcious

How many degrees do you allow for a conjunction between either of the luminaries or specifically the Moon and a personal planet?

My chart is on my profile, both from astro.com and astrotheme. What I've noticed is that some sites, including astrotheme allow for a wide 10,5 degrees orb for a Moon conjunct Mercury aspect, whereas it appears that neither astro.com and some other sites (that might be using the same software as astro.com) don't consider the degrees between my natal Moon and Mercury a conjunction.

Apparently some astrologers allow for 10 degrees when either of the luminaries are involved in a conjunction with a personal planet.

2vbabrd.png

I think it's their standard Placidus system. Would anyone here consider this a Moon/Mercury conjunction or not?

I had a glance up and down the orb thread, but it's a very long thread and if the answer's there, it escaped me.

Please move if I've posted this on the wrong board or delete my thread, if the question is asked wrong or not general enough.

katydid

When I look at wide orbs I take it on a case be case basis to decide if it would work like an aspect is expected to.

In this case i would count it as a conjunction for a couple of reasons. One major reason is that the Moon is applying to the Mercury. It is strengthening and not weakening. If the moon was 10 degrees past the Mercury then I would not see it as a conjunction.

Also, they are in the same sign and the same house, as the aspect is strengthening. So that adds more reason to think it might work as a
conjunction.

In summary, if the Mercury and Moon were separating instead of applying, and were in different signs and/or houses, then I would not see it as a true conjunction. And I also use pretty wide orbs for the Moon because it moves so fast.

tenacapcious

When I look at wide orbs I take it on a case be case basis to decide if it would work like an aspect is expected to.

In this case i would count it as a conjunction for a couple of reasons. One major reason is that the Moon is applying to the Mercury. It is strengthening and not weakening. If the moon was 10 degrees past the Mercury then I would not see it as a conjunction.

Also, they are in the same sign and the same house, as the aspect is strengthening. So that adds more reason to think it might work as a
conjunction.

In summary, if the Mercury and Moon were separating instead of applying, and were in different signs and/or houses, then I would not see it as a true conjunction. And I also use pretty wide orbs for the Moon because it moves so fast.

Thanks for the short but very clear explanation that even I can understand. I think I definitely feel that they're conjunct, but I wanted someone to take a more objective look at it. 'Separating' and 'applying' are new words to me, in astrology. I'll have to think more about that.:)

waybread

Those astrotheme charts are very hard to read. Normally I would give the moon 10 degrees of orb on either side, but you can stretch it a bit if you feel it, especially if a third planet aspects your moon and Mercury or if there is a midpoint involved. Your Pluto aspects both your moon and Mercury, so this will tend to tie them together as they both respond to the Pluto square.