How to read Natal Chart and determine dominant planet(s)?

Rennais

Hi there,

So my knowledge of horoscope (astrology) used to be limited to only the Sun Sign (Pisces). As of yesterday, it went a little further to the Rising Sign (Taurus), Moon Sign (Leo) as well as the planets and houses. Up to now, I am still trying to find out what my dominant planets and sign are because one source says that the "The Chart Ruler is the Most Important Planet" (in my case it's Venus that rules my AS - Taurus).

In regard to the signs, I always see myself fit into an ideal Pisces. However, one source says that "the sign the ruler is in is more important than the Sun or Moon sign" while another says that a stellium in a certain sign (my case is 4 planets in Capricorn) rends the later sign dominant. To make things even more complicated, referring to the astrology reading by Pullen, I got the following:

Planet:
Saturn: 72.9 ( 3) / 10.7%
Uranus: 75.9 ( 2) / 11.1%
Neptune: 69.5 ( 4) / 10.2%
Pluto: 93.3 ( 1) / 13.6%

Sign:
Scorpio: 105.1 ( 2) / 15.4%
Capricorn: 143.3 ( 1) / 21.0%
Aquarius: 84.7 ( 4) / 12.4%
Pisces: 88.2 ( 3) / 12.9%

In a nutshell, I don't really know what to see (Sun, Planet, House) or what not since altogether, they seem to be contradictory. I am trying to understand astrology better but cherry-picking the overwhelming amount of information is by no means easy. If someone can help shed more light on the houses and the planets, I would appreciate it so much. I am including my birth chart if it helps.

http://s105.photobucket.com/user/hulahoophoop/media/Untitled_zps5335fc42.png.html

tr1nity

Hello,

It would take hours and hours to delineate your chart however here's my (un -expert mind you) opinion of what I see.

I looked at a couple of things only so I'm cherry picking too.

1. Any planet which conjuncts the Ascendant contests the leadership in my opinion so that puts a question mark on Jupiter. Others may disagree. In addition, your AC receives many aspects so it's multi-faceted in my opinion.

2. I looked at Venus in the 12th, in my opinion, there she likes her privacy and can be secretive. This position would also bring compassion and a genial temperament.
The trine to Uranus indicates a fun loving nature, these natives also possess sex appeal in my opinion and have no difficulty attracting romance, it's a spontaneous aspect, having said that the trine from Saturn may well discipline this one and the conjunction to Jupiter would bring abundance in my opinion.

3. Pluto is strong in his natural ruler Scorpio and in the 7th would seek transformation through close partnerships in my opinion. Note this is also the house of 'public' and 'open enemies'

4. Neptune in the 9th can be mystical. I'm not sure how the squares from the Moon and Mercury impact.

5. Mars is exalted in Capricorn (he's strong)

6. Your Sun is well aspected in the 11th (friends, hopes, dreams and wishes)

Hope that gives you some more clues to help with researching your chart.
Best wishes

mdinaz

Saturn is more powerful in your chart as it is the final dispositor. Venus is in Aries which is 1) a very poor position for Venus (actually the worst) 2) Venus is disposited by Mars which is 3) in Capricorn and thus disposited by Saturn. Along with Saturn your most prominent planet is Pluto, in a T-square with a Merc-Moon opposition and on the 7th cusp. Most of your issues in life are going to stem from this. Your Venus is very weak.

Rennais

Thank youuu so much for your reply. There is a lot of information to digest but I am learning little by little. By the way, is there anyway I can find out what my career aspiration is from the planets, aspects, houses etc? I am a professional in financial services industry but I am hesitating between professional or a career in academic. One source says that Mercury in Aquarius makes me a good communicator while Mercury in Aquarius brings good prospect for scientific field. I am confused but after all, a true Pisces is always doubtful right :) I shall thank you in advance for your input..

Last edited:

mdinaz

Well your 8th house (other people's money) is in Sag, and ruler Jupiter is in the 12th conjunct Venus and trine Saturn in Cap in the 8th/9th cusp. This seems to me to be a very good position for someone working behind the scenes handling other people's money and assets. As Sag also rules academics and Saturn is right there so again I think you could do well either way. Neptune in the 9th conjunct Mars could lend you some idealism and lead you astray however, so watch what you are doing, keep your expectations and goals realistic.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Hi there,

So my knowledge of horoscope (astrology) used to be limited to only the Sun Sign (Pisces). As of yesterday, it went a little further to the Rising Sign (Taurus), Moon Sign (Leo) as well as the planets and houses. Up to now, I am still trying to find out what my dominant planets and sign are because one source says that the "The Chart Ruler is the Most Important Planet" (in my case it's Venus that rules my AS - Taurus).

In regard to the signs, I always see myself fit into an ideal Pisces. However, one source says that "the sign the ruler is in is more important than the Sun or Moon sign" while another says that a stellium in a certain sign (my case is 4 planets in Capricorn) rends the later sign dominant. To make things even more complicated, referring to the astrology reading by Pullen, I got the following:

Planet:
Saturn: 72.9 ( 3) / 10.7%
Uranus: 75.9 ( 2) / 11.1%
Neptune: 69.5 ( 4) / 10.2%
Pluto: 93.3 ( 1) / 13.6%

Sign:
Scorpio: 105.1 ( 2) / 15.4%
Capricorn: 143.3 ( 1) / 21.0%
Aquarius: 84.7 ( 4) / 12.4%
Pisces: 88.2 ( 3) / 12.9%

In a nutshell, I don't really know what to see (Sun, Planet, House) or what not since altogether, they seem to be contradictory. I am trying to understand astrology better but cherry-picking the overwhelming amount of information is by no means easy. If someone can help shed more light on the houses and the planets, I would appreciate it so much. I am including my birth chart if it helps.

http://s105.photobucket.com/user/hulahoophoop/media/Untitled_zps5335fc42.png.html

Pullen's system is unresearched, and was his idea only. I repeatedly asked him years ago what techniques he used and he claimed it was proprietary, and he could not tell me. If you want a system that was developed using 30,000 charts over a 30 year period with a 79 page questionnaire developed about the person's life for each chart, and the developed statistically for what had meaning and what did not, I would be happy to send you the complete diagnosis of the power and friction level of all your houses, planets, signs, and aspects if you PM me an email address for it.

The system was so complex that it took about 12 hours of hand calculations for each chart before personal computers arrived on the scene in about 1989. Now of course this can be done in about 1/2 second.

I will also need your complete birth data in thr PM.

I use this system to establish priorities. To learn more go to my website in the signature below and scroll down to COSMODYNES/ASTRODYNES on the left.

mdinaz

Pullen's system is useful as far as a starting point, but it is in no way definitive. Also with Astrolog you can change the weights of all the points and aspects to suit yourself so it is good in that manner.

Rennais

Hi Trinity (and other bloggers), I was reading the other threads and came across a post asking for possibility of someone to do further studies (I honestly did not know that astrology can go so much into such details). From your reply, it is my understanding that planets in Sagittarius indicate whether one fits to do so. I took another look at my birth chart and was saddened that there is no planet in my Sag, since I am thinking to go back to academia. I already studied in 4 countries and already finished my master's degree; if you do not mind, is there any way of telling whether I have the cut to pursue a PhD. In addition, there is one country that I really fall in love with, so if someone can tell whether I have the prospect to pursue further studies or a career in a foreign country from my birth chart, I would be very grateful.

As a matter of lesser importance, I am a serious yet a very shy person. My love life has fallen flat although I have been receiving signals, I am too shy to even look people in the eye. If it does not bother, can you tell how my love life will turn out down the road. Again, I don't want to bother anyone with loads of questions so feel free to answer questions that are realistic enough to answer. I thank you all very much for your kind replies :)

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Hi Trinity (and other bloggers), I was reading the other threads and came across a post asking for possibility of someone to do further studies (I honestly did not know that astrology can go so much into such details). From your reply, it is my understanding that planets in Sagittarius indicate whether one fits to do so. I took another look at my birth chart and was saddened that there is no planet in my Sag, since I am thinking to go back to academia. I already studied in 4 countries and already finished my master's degree; if you do not mind, is there any way of telling whether I have the cut to pursue a PhD. In addition, there is one country that I really fall in love with, so if someone can tell whether I have the prospect to pursue further studies or a career in a foreign country from my birth chart, I would be very grateful.

As a matter of lesser importance, I am a serious yet a very shy person. My love life has fallen flat although I have been receiving signals, I am too shy to even look people in the eye. If it does not bother, can you tell how my love life will turn out down the road. Again, I don't want to bother anyone with loads of questions so feel free to answer questions that are realistic enough to answer. I thank you all very much for your kind replie
s :)
As Tr1nity mentions on a post earlier on this thread, reading any natal chart takes hours at the very least
and could take days or weeks
so our astrological learning forum is a good place to gain autonomy
by learning to delineate one's own natal chart
and DELINEATING NATAL CHART thread
is a good place to find tips on how to do so
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48463 :smile:
The type of Delineation I'm giving here is a mix of medieval techniques with those of the Hellenistic authors.

Here are some tips for delineating the chart in this manner.

1. The good or bad signified by a house emanates from the ruler of the house.
This is the basic rule. The ruler of the house is giver of the material of the house.

Zoller gives the example of his own chart where he has Combusted Mercury in 11th, ruler of 4th. He comments that this kind of placement brings adversity to ones home and dwellings.

2. Benefit in one area of life can be produced by adversity, or even conflict, in another.

Again Zoller gives example from his own chart.
Jupiter in 9th in Scorpio disposited from Mars in 11th: Wisdom coming from conflicts.

3. The delineation tells you the what. The
predictive techniques tell you the when.

4. The Elemental Quality of the Sign of the Ascendant is showing the type of Primary Motivation of the native.
Fire goes for freedom of action and power.
Air goes for freedom of expression and movement.
The Water signs need emotional security
Earth signs need physical security.

The person with masculine Ascendant (or majority of planets in masculine signs) speaks in active terms: "I did this to that person".
The person with feminine sign on Ascendant or majority planets in feminine signs, speaks in passive terms: "This happened to me".

The Feminine signs seek advice because they need second hand in their decisions, in fact they want someone else to make the decision for them.
Masculine signs seek advice because they have many options so they are not sure which option is better.

Cardinal signs are most active. Cardinal water and earth (Cancer and Capricorn) are working great amount of actions but in circumstances and environment structured already by someone else.
Libra and Aries (Cardinal masculine) are working great in any kind of circumstances.

Fixed signs are centripetal, they need center. They are very successful in Acquisations.
Taurus hoards money.
Leo hoards glory and honor.
Scorpio hoards the hidden things, hidden motivations of other people, seek energy and vitality.
Aquarius hoards Knowledge.

Mutable signs vacillate between the two: cardinal and fixed.

5. Examine the planets which most closely aspects the Ascendant. These planets add to the whole Primary Motivation thing.

Planets aspecting the Ascendant represent powers the native can use in the world.

The aspecting planet's local determination will be added to the Primary
Motivation.
(Venus in 5th will add love for pleasure and entertainment to the native's Primary Motivation).

The aspect between the aspecting planet and the Ascendant tells you how the being of the planet and its local determination are linked.

6. The Ruler of the Ascendant by its house position tells you where (what area of life) the native will seek to realize his/her Primary Motivation.

Look also at all 5 dignity rulers in the place of the ASC. The Almuten and Exalted ruler are lamost as significant as the domicile ruler (sometimes even more).

The Ruler of the Ascendant (as well as the other rulers) by its nature and zodiacal state shows the methods the native will use and the success or failure of the drive.

This is great quote by Zoller:

Lets assume that a person has Cancer on the Ascendant,
The primary motivation of this person is the Need for Emotional Security.
The ruler/s of the Ascendant and their zodiacal and local state will determine How would this be achieved.

Lets assume Moon on IC in Libra Peregrine.
Jupiter in 6th (but 7th sign!) in Capricorn.
Venus in Sag in 6th - Peregrine.
Mars in Scorpio in 4th (but 5th sign!)
Saturn (term ruler) is in 5th Scorpio Peregrine.

We can see that Moon is strong by accident (being on angle), so we can judge first from there.
The need for Emotional Security this person would seek in the home, in the place of the father. The father would be the means through which this person would try to achieve the Emotional Security.
Jupiter - the exalted ruler is weak by being cadent, Venus too. They can't produce much in giving the emotional security this person seeks.
Jupiter by universal means suggest that the native would seek wisdom, religion (and the person actually did!) but by being cadent and in fall, it can't productively give what it promise.
Mars is in 4/5th and is strong by zodiacal state, but is out of sect malefic.
It would try to win competitions, but also with Saturn in 5th will give great deal of creativity. Mars rules the 10th - creativity and looking for career, would also give some amount of emotional security for this person. But by being square with Sun in 7th it means that it will have opposition from authorities and other people in general.

The primary motivation is great deal of what we unconsciously and often consciously seek for. Once that motivation is broken or someone interrupt it, we seek to fix that in the every possible way we can do that.

7. Position is stronger than rulership.

Aries on 5th house cusp. Jupiter in Aries.
Juptier is having much more important for the issues of the house then the ruler Mars.

8. The planet in detriment can not produce effectively what it promise.

9.The house represents the beginning of a matter, the ruler of the house,
represents the development of the matter, a kind of middle
point, and the final dispositor, i.e. the planet that rules the sign in which
the ruler is placed represents the end of the matter.

10. The planet which is closest to cusp is the most important in the house and dominates the affairs of the house, because of the rule that position is stronger than rulership, unless the ruler of the house is also in the house.

11. Planets can do 3 things. They can produce something,
they can deny something, or they can destroy something once it has been
produced.

Rennais

Thank you. Believe that I did try looking up as many sources as possible to help understand my natal chart. But then again, it is open to as many interpretations as the people writing on what to look or what not. For example, concerning career prospects, I tend to go with the MC and Mercury. For higher education, I put more emphasis on the 9th house, for love is Venus, etc. But when reading Trinity's comment on Sagittarius ruling higher education, of course I got confused and came up with another question. Thank you again for the reply. I am reading it in a sec.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Thank you. Believe that I did try looking up as many sources as possible to help understand my natal chart. But then again, it is open to as many interpretations as the people writing on what to look or what not. For example, concerning career prospects, I tend to go with the MC and Mercury. For higher education, I put more emphasis on the 9th house, for love is Venus, etc. But when reading Trinity's comment on Sagittarius ruling higher education, of course I got confused and came up with another question. Thank you again for the reply. I am reading it in a sec.

I hate to tell you this, but astrology is way way way more complicated than this. If it was this simple then we could rely on the textbook definitions that computers generate in a one size fits all mode.

tr1nity

As a matter of lesser importance, I am a serious yet a very shy person. My love life has fallen flat although I have been receiving signals, I am too shy to even look people in the eye. If it does not bother, can you tell how my love life will turn out down the road. Again, I don't want to bother anyone with loads of questions so feel free to answer questions that are realistic enough to answer. I thank you all very much for your kind replies :)

Hi Rennais,

Sorry for the delay in responding but I see you are getting expert help from the others. I'm glad about that.
I didn't say Sagittarius rules Higher Education in the post...I didn't know that, but I do think that Higher Education can show in the 9th house.

I'm very certain without looking again and based on your studies to date that you can do your PhD, so go follow your dream. The good thing about higher education is that you can go back to it at a later date.

Just on being too shy to look at people, Venus in the 12th needs a helping hand to push her out so you've just got to be brave about it. I can honestly say the only person who feels it and knows how hard it is, is you. Once you realise this, you will take more risks because nobody else notices how much you have the feeling to run away and hide. You could test this out in small doses.
best of luck :)