Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Gemini888

Oh geez Gem, that sounds perverse, not quite necrophiliac, but you are singing paeans to rats so maybe I am reading you wrong :sick:
"Psychological autopsy" isn't as scary as it sounds. I talked about my fascination for Edwin Schneidman before, but to recap, this is a man who spent his entire life asking people to look at suicide in a more humane way. He believed that suicide is a complex phenomenon that has its root in several things, and each suicide has to be dug through carefully if you want to know the true cause. So in one of his books he called that process of digging through the patient's history "psychological autopsy", implying that the work of investigating a suicide is as analytical as looking for the cause of death in normal autopsy. In a way I just like this term. It's just a more flowery way for psychoanalysis :tongue:

But yeah. Sorry you're grossed out by that :(

moonkat235

Do you think people effectively psychoanalyze themselves? Or is that generally more detrimental do you think? I feel like I psychoanalyze myself a lot by trying to be honest with myself. Idek if it's examining unconscious motivations, etc. so much as recognizing when I try to repress/deny aspects of myself I don't like.

Gemini888

Thanks for the explanation. I know you like Shneidman. Autopsy is on a dead person, somebody must have killed them, maybe the relentless psychoanalysis
Yeah... it's on a dead person. He specifically used that word for investigation into a suicide that already happened. He had other words for failed suicides.

That guy was a Taurus according to Wikipedia. That could explain why he liked to use flowery words like that.

Gemini888

Do you think people effectively psychoanalyze themselves? Or is that generally more detrimental do you think? I feel like I psychoanalyze myself a lot by trying to be honest with myself. Idek if it's examining unconscious motivations, etc. so much as recognizing when I try to repress/deny aspects of myself I don't like.
IMO I think that's possible. That could even be a great thing! You get to understand yourself more and know how to improve yourself. That could even save you from involving with "fake" therapists too.

I'd like to hear from Passi too, because I believe she knows her psychology very well :wink:

conspiracy theorist

Is this about the anti-rats comment? Rats make really good pets, and are much like dogs in some ways. Psychologists study their behavior because they're intelligent and curious in a very human sort of way. The one real drawback is a two-year lifespan. :crying:in
I had one as a kid, and he was a great pet. Carried him around on my shoulder.

This reminds me of the time when I had a pet shark in the 5th grade. I was very smitten by it... until it died the day after I got it. At the time I thought the people at the pet store were pieces of **** for selling me a sick shark.

But then I recently saw a video that made me re-contextualize that whole memory. It was still irresponsible of them to sell creatures that they probably had no idea on how to maintain and care for. But anything to get a sale, especially when a young boy is gunning to have an expensive shark in his fish tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMbHLF_zwjs

moonkat235

That's probably the best most of us can hope for, actually.

Some people have to work harder at it than others. I have done a lot of work in this area, but my husband, for example, is much better at it (in my opinion). Some of that is occupational trauma though. He just doesn't go certain places whereas I'll go following trouble like a string on a kite.

Does he not go certain places because of potential instability and danger? Like some things should stay buried?

Oh also passiflora, have you ever heard of a book called 'The Inner Guide Meditation'? I like it. It's about using active imagination and astrology/tarot to heal yourself. Although some of it is kinda BS, I think the actual meditation itself is quite useful. I haven't really been working on myself through that though and I feel like it would be beneficial for me.

My friend said I could use inner work, focus wheels and Emotional Freedom Technique for working to change myself and heal. It's cool stuff! I can PM you soon about it!

moonkat235

Oh man, I'm still thinking about sharks slowly suffocating.

Yes actually someone sent me the book the other day when I was in a very dark place! I should have been reading it today haha.

Not that things should stay buried necessarily but he focuses on what he can do which is make and build things better (not construction, just circumstances). Whereas for example when I found out that a close friend from childhood had a sudden spectacular life threatening injury, I dropped what I was doing and flew cross-country to sleep in chairs at her side in the hospital, though we hadn't been close in years.

It's a fascinating book. Let me know what you think!

I already knew my guide though from childhood, so I didn't have to do the original cave meditation, but meeting archetypes is pretty fascinating!

That's great you went to be with your friend. I'm sure she really appreciated it!

SunConjunctUranus

This reminds me of the time when I had a pet shark in the 5th grade. I was very smitten by it... until it died the day after I got it. At the time I thought the people at the pet store were pieces of **** for selling me a sick shark.

But then I recently saw a video that made me re-contextualize that whole memory. It was still irresponsible of them to sell creatures that they probably had no idea on how to maintain and care for. But anything to get a sale, especially when a young boy is gunning to have an expensive shark in his fish tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMbHLF_zwjs

Repent, for the kingdom of Heaven is at hand!

Gemini888

It's a fascinating book. Let me know what you think!

I already knew my guide though from childhood, so I didn't have to do the original cave meditation, but meeting archetypes is pretty fascinating!

That's great you went to be with your friend. I'm sure she really appreciated it!
I wonder what it would be like to finally know which character in the Major Acarna is your guide. That would add an entirely new meaning on that card :biggrin:

Ukpoohbear

Analyzing/thinking/sorting through **** is a brilliant hobby. Although it’s almost obsessive borne out of a need to survive and understand the environment around you, to the point I’m ready to tell myself to ‘stop, relax, read and study.’ But thinking is very good.

I actually think that was David Starling’s point about disagreeing with Eckhart Tolle that ‘you are not your mind,’ because without it, how can we heal? Although it does help to calm your mind and be more present, which is what I need to learn to do.

But if you are going to utilise your mind, what better motive for it than self-improvement? ‘Know thyself.’