Why I don't cut my hair: Vindication!

Mark

3/64 Cherokee here (1/32 on one side of the family and 1/64 on the other, both Cherokee) and I don't cut my hair either. Actually, I spontaneously started growing a full beard (no trimming) about two months ago and Grizzly Adams would be proud. Thanks for the reading material. I hadn't considered the importance of not cutting hair beyond, "It's my hair and I'll do what I want with it."

piercethevale

Yeah, and that Edgar Cayce mentioned that each of the 5 races has a sensory attribute enhanced ["Origin and Destiny of Man"...my copy is missing...of course]...the 'Red' race being that of the extra sensory type...what mainstream society calls exactly what is being described in this article.
...and many of the great gurus of yoga have mentioned this to some greater or lesser degree of emphasis also...[I now feel really sorry for the poor guys that go bald though....and come to think of it I don't recall ever meeting or seeing a photo or painting of a bald Native American...except for some of the Mandans...some of the splinter tribes such as the Fox for example...and I think they did it by choice...i.e. shaved or plucked?]

Last edited:

MaeMae

Banned
My son has always hated having his hair cut, since childhood. When he turned 18, he emphatically told me that he was never cutting his hair again. His first decision as an adult. He's nearing 23 and has kept to his word. Of course I asked him why. He said it was like cutting pieces of his body out and that his body always hurts afterwards. I always felt there was some kind of inner-spiritual reasoning for this in him.
He's 1/2 Ashkenaz and 1/2 German decent.

Sagmoon

Another reason why: men look hella sexy with long hair. :innocent:

Hehe, that is so true! I love men with long hair, I can't pass them without turning my head lol:)

Although I am a woman I hate cutting my hair too, it always feels like I'm cutting myself off, takes time to readjust, as if one were readjusting to the new environment. I did go short, shoulder length, last summer for the first time in my life, but i still miss them...

lazarusx

Interesting article, it almost makes me wish i didn't cut my hair.

I grew my hair out for over two years by which point it had begun forming dreadlocks; i made the decision to grow my hair out at a turning point in my life where i was becoming more aware of my own sense of spirituality.

Only to then shave my locks off for the very same reason; the moment i saw myself with a shaved head i had some deeper understanding of why in some traditions it's a common practice to shave the head every month. I felt completely naked.. i wasn't the same person, but this was also interesting to me because i didn't see anyone when i looked at my reflection.

Last edited:

kimbermoon

Read it...
[I am apprx 1/32 Native American ...Powhaton & Choctaw]
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/2...ir-and-Why-Indians-Would-Keep-Their-Hair-Long

thanks for the interesting posts...I heard many years ago that the hair is also the source of our experiential wisdom accumulated over the years and thus it is not good to cut it...from the native heritage, and many of the celtic lore, to braid the hair is to braid together the wisdom that has been acquired...that is why I continue to keep my hair long. Consider also that in ancient times to cut off a person's 'braid' was a form of punishment for disloyal or shameful acts...