Romanticism

Rebel Uranian

...Or rather, Neo-Romanticism... :annoyed:

People should stop bringing sentiment into everything. I'm like the only reasonable person in the Age of Sentiment or something. I had a lot more to post yesterday, which I forgot and/or condensed...

Mark

Romanticism is a terrible, horrible thing. We start with observations of reality and then romanticise them, which means that we intentionally deviate from fact to groom our images and ideas to seem much more appealing than reality. Romanticism is a trap of the subjective mind. If you deal with romanticised notions, then you deal only with your own ideas and never the real world. Realism is the exact opposite of romanticism.

An intimate relationship should never (I repeat, NEVER) be romanticised. If you do romanticise your relationships, then you are not having relationships with people. You are having relationships with the images in your head. That's why completely expected and realistic events will break the heart of a person who has all the wrong expectations. We stupidly try to force each other to act like the romanticised images that we create and damage each other terribly in the process. If you ever find yourself in an intimate relationship with someone who prefers romanticism over reality, RUN! They care about themselves getting their romanticised dreams fulfilled, not about you.

Mandy

The topic of this thread went right over my head when I first saw it. This will be the first thing I teach my children about the birds and bees. #Markforpresident

In fact, I am going to frame this post and hang it in my hall.

Last edited:

Lightrider

I must be a romantic to some extent because the only "reality" i'm (kind of) aware of is mine, the reality i perceive through my senses. I can sometimes relate to others and vice versa. But we always end up realizing each reality is completely different than ours. It's mind breaking when you try to insert someone into your world and then you find out that person isn't what you thought he/she was, which also implies the "reality" you had perceived until that moment wasn't "real". It was all an illusion created by your flawed human mind.

And is this really the age of sentiment? Romanticism? I seldom see any romanticism outside of romantic novels and movies. Reality is filled with ugliness, violence and vulgarity. Still it would be easy as hell just to accept it as it is because it's not that bad. I think i could live with that, but i know i will be denying a very important part of my existence if i do that and that would be real frustrating in the long run.

Edit: Way to make my Saturn conjunct Neptune and Sun square Pluto obscenely obvious :p

Last edited:

Rebel Uranian

And is this really the age of sentiment? Romanticism? I seldom see any romanticism outside of romantic novels and movies.

Romanticism with a capital R. Listen to someone give a speech. Are they usually giving logical justification, or appealing to emotions? Listen to recently-composed music, or recently-popular music, especially classical music. Listen to casual conversation. Romanticism. Sentiment. Too many metaphors. This is the Age of Sentiment (after the Age of Reason.) It shows everywhere. "Astrology is too touchy-feely." (quote) Romanticism.

Lightrider

Ok, let's see :p

Someone giving a speech - I can agree here to some degree. Speeches often appeal to emotions rather than logic and ethics.

Music - "Go fulfill your dreams, they will become true!" is the most romantic i hear nowadays mostly because of my sister (Disney channel). The usual i hear on the radio is "go partying, drinking, get laid!", "SHAKE THAT ***!!", "SHOW ME YO ****!!", "be a player, be a slut!" etc. Today's popular music can hardly be called music. Too shallow, ugly and has no feeling, no soul.

Casual conversation - It's usually about "that annoying b#stard/b#tch who seems to be doing better than me... What the hell!!! How is that fair??? **** !!!", "so dude did you check her out? she looks so f#ckable!!", "i'm bored", "man, why don't you buy a (insert something)?", etc. I'm just there, listening and trying to make sense of that load of bull. The most romantic stuff i hear is my father talking about the old times.

This could be the age of emotions such as envy, greed and lust. Pure vulgarity and obscenity.

RU, you have to spend some time in England (study abroad??) I think you might love it. I very much miss the rationality and intellectual approach that is built into the national character. The interest in logic trumps interterest in personality there imo.

dr. farr

Excess romanticism/over sentimentality = Moon/Venus, also Venus/Neptune, and combined Moon/Venus/Neptune connections in the natal chart.

sequestra

Excess romanticism/over sentimentality = Moon/Venus, also Venus/Neptune, and combined Moon/Venus/Neptune connections in the natal chart.

Yep, venus/mars square neptune in the 1st. Ugh. I actively watch out for it these days though. Used to see partners as near perfect :bandit:

Sagmoon

Romanticism is a terrible, horrible thing. We start with observations of reality and then romanticise them, which means that we intentionally deviate from fact to groom our images and ideas to seem much more appealing than reality. Romanticism is a trap of the subjective mind. If you deal with romanticised notions, then you deal only with your own ideas and never the real world. Realism is the exact opposite of romanticism.

An intimate relationship should never (I repeat, NEVER) be romanticised. If you do romanticise your relationships, then you are not having relationships with people. You are having relationships with the images in your head. That's why completely expected and realistic events will break the heart of a person who has all the wrong expectations. We stupidly try to force each other to act like the romanticised images that we create and damage each other terribly in the process. If you ever find yourself in an intimate relationship with someone who prefers romanticism over reality, RUN! They care about themselves getting their romanticised dreams fulfilled, not about you.

Very well expressed, i liked it. But maybe without romanticism we would not be able to see the reality? That or reality would be too dry and colorless?

dr. farr

Balanced Venus, Moon, even a balanced Neptune, influence toward the positive expressions of love and empathy and caring, which are positive energies that make this world a better place to live in.
The reverse of romanticism and sentimentality is the excess of self-will represented by an afflicted Mars, or the uncaring, unsympathetic pride of an unbalanced Sun, or the cold, totally indifferent emotional outlook of an overbearing Saturn, or the ivory tower ultra-theoretical outlook devoid of emotional attachments and empathy, of an unfortunate Mercury, or the greed without regard for others of Jupiter gone to extremes...

Mandy

This is why I think Libra is the best sign of all airs. It doesn't lack sentiment like aquarius, and is yet intellectual and objective.

Sentiment is important, but it has its place. Peeps who dont experience ('realistic') sentiment are sociopaths.

Last edited:

Mandy

My post was speaking about libra as a realistic romantic.

I didn't say they were not, and the first part of my post was written (potentially) in support of that.

The second part of my post was not referring to any particular sign, but individual instead.

Last edited:

Choe

I didn't say they were not, and the first part of my post was written (potentially) in support of that.

The second part of my post was not referring to any particular sign, but individual instead.

Transiting Mercury is in detriment and retrograde.This might be why we misunderstood. :smile:

Everything is about the golden middle,or striking the right balance, as SagMoon said.

But, if I have to vote that would be romanticism, because lacking a sentiment is psychopathic.

Last edited: