Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Neptune Rising

Hi, it would be helpful if you could attach your chart.

About the water signs you mentioned and confidence, often when people lack confidence, they can over compensate for it by seeming over confident, to others.

Anyway, without a chart, we would be only guessing what the other aspects you mentioned, mean.

JUPITERASC

So...I got diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and I don't really know if I believe that to be the case or not, I'm a skeptic. I have a Leo rising sign, which makes me confident and materialistic, Sag moon that makes me blunt, and venus in Aries that makes me selfish and impulsive. However, those are only narcissistic tendencies, NPD is even more than just that. I also have my sun, mercury, and mars in water signs! They're not known for confidence. I have pluto square ascendant which when I read about it seems narcissistic. Are there any others signs you see, rather aspects, that may indicate npd? I always want power, control over people, and I feel it's owed to me, I'm ambitious and highly critical...but my chart doesn't show that. Yet I have npd...?
If you are skeptical then it's a good idea to seek out all the evidence you can find regarding the validity of these kinds of diagnoses - getting more than one opinion is best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4vD4QC0kQ8 :smile:

Neptune Rising

I always want power, control over people, and I feel it's owed to me, I'm ambitious and highly critical...but my chart doesn't show that.

I'm no psychologist so will only base my views on a few aspects. You say above you are highly critical... which I feel is shown in your chart by the Saturn on the descendant opposed to Chiron in Leo. Saturn/Chiron hard aspects can bring a level of critical-ness to a person, and with the Saturn there on your 7th (other) maybe you hide a soft centre with the hard Saturn outer shell. Chiron in Leo can a wounded sense of self but Saturn opposed may make you want to hide this from others (7th). This tied in with the square to Pluto square to your ascendant/descendant resonates with your statement above in the power need. Do you understand why you feel you need power and control over others? Would it have anything to do with the way you feel inside, as a way to prevent others having power over you? A way of maintaining control, maybe....

Zarathu

Account Closed
FYI, from the DSM, in case you didn't know:

Symptoms of this disorder, as defined by the DSM-IV-TR include:

Reacting to criticism with anger, shame, or humiliation
Taking advantage of others to reach own goals
Exaggerating own importance, achievements, and talents
Imagining unrealistic fantasies of success, beauty, power, intelligence, or romance
Requiring constant attention and positive reinforcement from others
Becoming jealous easily
Lacking empathy and disregarding the feelings of others
Being obsessed with self
Pursuing mainly selfish goals
Trouble keeping healthy relationships
Becoming easily hurt and rejected
Setting goals that are unrealistic
Wanting "the best" of everything
Appearing unemotional

In addition to these symptoms, the person may also display dominance, arrogance, show superiority, and seek power.The symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder can be similar to the traits of individuals with strong self-esteem and confidence; differentiation occurs when the underlying psychological structures of these traits are considered pathological. Narcissists have such an elevated sense of self-worth that they value themselves as inherently better than others. However, they have a fragile self-esteem and cannot handle criticism, and will often try to compensate for this inner fragility by belittling or disparaging others in an attempt to validate their own self-worth. It is this sadistic tendency that is characteristic of narcissism as opposed to other psychological conditions affecting level of self-worth.

In children, inflated self-views and grandiose feelings, which are characteristics of narcissism, are part of the normal self-development. Children typically cannot understand the difference between their actual and their ideal self, which causes an unrealistic perception of the self. After about age 8, views of the self, both positive and negative, begin to develop based on comparisons of peers, and become more realistic. Two factors that cause self-view to remain unrealistic are dysfunctional interactions with parents that can be either excessive attention or a lack thereof. The child will either compensate for lack of attention or act in terms of unrealistic self-perception.

fullmoonlibra

So...I got diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and I don't really know if I believe that to be the case or not, I'm a skeptic. I have a Leo rising sign, which makes me confident and materialistic, Sag moon that makes me blunt, and venus in Aries that makes me selfish and impulsive. However, those are only narcissistic tendencies, NPD is even more than just that. I also have my sun, mercury, and mars in water signs! They're not known for confidence. I have pluto square ascendant which when I read about it seems narcissistic. Are there any others signs you see, rather aspects, that may indicate npd? I always want power, control over people, and I feel it's owed to me, I'm ambitious and highly critical...but my chart doesn't show that. Yet I have npd...?

Thank you for sharing your chart.
I'm highly interested in charts with psychological importance.

Zarathu

Account Closed
You're welcome. As am I but based off what I read (the aspects that the person above mentioned) were only half right. Maybe you can't use astrology for psychological things?

Oh yes you can. But you have to look for subtleties that can't be seen by only the major planets. You must look at asteroids, Arabic Parts, Fixed Stars, Witte Sensitive points, persona charts, midpoint pictures using planets and asteroids, etc. And you must look beyond the natal chart where you only have the tendencies and look at the current progressed chart as well as planetary return charts to see if circumstance may be manifesting more.

I've seen some clear beginning protocols with Border Line Personality Disorder, bi-polar Disorder, and some others. Martha Lang Wescott has also done some serious work in this area.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Its not like that. Planetary returns have purposes. You choose one based on what you want to know about the future not on one that you like.

Since you don't know what you want to know, I don't know what you want to know. So I cannot choose for you.

M

may28gemini

Well, I think a lot of it is tied to the cardinal grand cross you have which could pose the feeling of being "boxed in" and "doomed" to repeat the same mistakes over and over again. Generally speaking, any attempt to solve problems with one planet of the grand cross burdens the other planets in the configuration.

Your personal planets aren't in good working order as your Mercury is very corrupted (detriment and retrograde), Venus also very corrupted (detriment and retrograde), and Mars is fallen. Your Mars and Venus are part of the grand cross which adds to the already difficult configuration.

Then there's Jupiter retrograde which I find to be also problematic. People who have Jupiter retrograde often find "richness" within themselves which can give them a smug sense of self-assurance as they tell themselves they don't need outer richness (materialism) when they believe that they are superior on the inside. Your Jupiter Rx makes up another part of the grand cross.

Saturn is responsible for self-discipline but in this case, your domicile Saturn conjunct psychotic Uranus which lessens Saturn's power. Unfortunately those 2 planets make up the remaining part of your grand cross.

Jupiter retrograde opposite Venus retrograde... your benefics don't work together which is rough. Then your fallen Mars opposes Saturn/Uranus which leads to rebelliousness and an uncontrollable sense of dogma.

Your chart really scares me.

Last edited:

Vista

I have a friend who hasn't been diagnosed as NPD, however she routinely gets labeled as being Narcissistic and I can honestly tell you as someone who has known her for 20 years, she truly is the epitome of a Narcissist. I have often looked at her chart and wondered what the deciding factor for her being the way she is. I believe what contributes to this behavior is an unaspected Sun in Aries in the 10th house and an unapsected Pisces Moon the ASC ruler. It's very unusual to have one or both planets unaspected, but I do feel these two are the culprit as there are no buffers for either planets for good are bad so both positve and negative sides of her Sun and Moon play out to the extreme. She also has Venus in Gemini, Aries Mars(not aspecting her Sun). Since her rising sign is also Moon, there is additional importance of an Unaspected Moon. The need to be center of attention, the number 1 focus, and talking about subjects she is only interested is very prevalent. She does have a nurturing side, but it's on her terms and only when she feels like it. She definitely beats to her own drum and it's really all about her and what she wants. She is also very honest and candid about her shortfalls in this area and is very comfortable with it. :)

Last edited:

Vista

Ah, thank you for this list. My friend above checks off just about everyone of the symptoms you have listed. How interesting!

FYI, from the DSM, in case you didn't know:

Symptoms of this disorder, as defined by the DSM-IV-TR include:

Reacting to criticism with anger, shame, or humiliation
Taking advantage of others to reach own goals
Exaggerating own importance, achievements, and talents
Imagining unrealistic fantasies of success, beauty, power, intelligence, or romance
Requiring constant attention and positive reinforcement from others
Becoming jealous easily
Lacking empathy and disregarding the feelings of others
Being obsessed with self
Pursuing mainly selfish goals
Trouble keeping healthy relationships
Becoming easily hurt and rejected
Setting goals that are unrealistic
Wanting "the best" of everything
Appearing unemotional

In addition to these symptoms, the person may also display dominance, arrogance, show superiority, and seek power.The symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder can be similar to the traits of individuals with strong self-esteem and confidence; differentiation occurs when the underlying psychological structures of these traits are considered pathological. Narcissists have such an elevated sense of self-worth that they value themselves as inherently better than others. However, they have a fragile self-esteem and cannot handle criticism, and will often try to compensate for this inner fragility by belittling or disparaging others in an attempt to validate their own self-worth. It is this sadistic tendency that is characteristic of narcissism as opposed to other psychological conditions affecting level of self-worth.

In children, inflated self-views and grandiose feelings, which are characteristics of narcissism, are part of the normal self-development. Children typically cannot understand the difference between their actual and their ideal self, which causes an unrealistic perception of the self. After about age 8, views of the self, both positive and negative, begin to develop based on comparisons of peers, and become more realistic. Two factors that cause self-view to remain unrealistic are dysfunctional interactions with parents that can be either excessive attention or a lack thereof. The child will either compensate for lack of attention or act in terms of unrealistic self-perception.