Mars, the Bringer of War: What It Means In Your Chart

RaptInReverie

Hi Rapt,

I was attracted to how you posed that title and I'm intrigued by how you put your case forward.

I see you've Mars in Gemini (snap!) too, can you tell us about how you see it in your life? How has it come to express for you over the years? :devil:

p.s. I've read more and more astrologers (not everyone of course is in agreement) that there is 'no easy aspect to Saturn' that it means tough lessons either way. This may be connected to the malefic you're talking about here, Mars, that this is only the 'strike out' force, no taming of this lion.

Also, I know someone close with Venus and Mars conjunct in Pisces. Her Venus definitely has it's own expression (including trine Scorpio ASC) but whether it softens her Mars, I don't know.

Hello byjove,

It is all about how the planets in a chart balance one another. There are no “good” and “bad” planets; however, they each have different roles, and some of those roles may seem “malefic” to those who do not understand how they balance the personality.

In the case of Mars and Saturn, many astrologers seem to suggest that they are malefic. I disagree. They are vital aspects of the psyche that must be expressed to maintain equilibrium. Furthermore, no matter how they relate to the other planets (aspects), they must maintain the core essence of their being--their purpose, if you will. They must uphold their part in the balancing out of your personality. For one will be apathetic without the drive of Mars and undisciplined without the structure of Saturn. Even where soft aspects are concerned, they still carry out their roles. It is up to the individual to decide whether or not they will express them in positive or negative ways. And an individual who represses or refuses to acknowledge the true natures of Mars and Saturn will be unbalanced and weak.

Mars in Gemini in the 9th drives me to seek out higher knowledge, to research, to stand up and be vocal about my beliefs and philosophies, and to defend them when needed. It makes me insatiably curious, restless in certain matters, and courageous. There are many more aspects to it as well, but I think I’ve made my point here. The point is, it balances my more vulnerable and passive sides. In a way, it protects them.

RaptInReverie

astrologer50, I think it would help if you included your viewpoints on Mars in this thread so we could compare better.

As of right now I'm leaning towards agreeing with RIR...

My Mars is very important in my chart. It's an earth Singleton, the apex of a Yod, retrograde, in Taurus in the 10th (equal/koch). The combination is interesting as it's very prominent in my chart but in fall and retrograde so it's a bit subtle but still there constantly to be accessed should I need it's strength which is very Taurian; slow, steady, persistent, with quite a bit of stamina. Once it gets moving it can stay in motion for awhile.

I think I'm a bit fortunate that it's in fall in Taurus because I'm afraid if it was in a different sign that the Rx would affect me in a possibly more adverse way. However, if it were in a different sign maybe I would have noticed it's effects earlier and been able to deal with it sooner.

I feel since it's an earth Singleton, Rx and the apex of a yod that it needs constant balancing. So anything to access the power of Mars does me good! However, since it's more internalized, due to the Rx, it's better that I'm competitive with myself or access it in an individualized manner.

Also to note it gets a Sextile from Saturn and a Square from Jupiter.

Very interesting.

What you've written is exactly what I am trying to explain....how the planets balance the personality. The sign and house placements shape the planetary energies, but the role of the planet is still the same. I also agree that the energies of Rx planets are sometimes focused more inwards, but that's a whole nother story.

Last edited:
astrologer50, I think it would help if you included your viewpoints on Mars in this thread so we could compare better.[ I have in post 3. I do not disagree with mars being the planet of action, possibly sexuality. Our disagreement if you like was quite specific as we both have mars in Gemini, mine 5th OP 9th which I think had a square to mercury dom but retro in 1st conj asc]

As of right now I'm leaning towards agreeing with RIR...

My Mars is very important in my chart. It's an earth Singleton, the apex of a Yod, retrograde, in Taurus in the 10th (equal/koch). The combination is interesting as it's very prominent in my chart but in fall and retrograde so it's a bit subtle but still there constantly to be accessed should I need it's strength which is very Taurian; slow, steady, persistent, with quite a bit of stamina. Once it gets moving it can stay in motion for awhile.

I think I'm a bit fortunate that it's in fall in Taurus because I'm afraid if it was in a different sign that the Rx would affect me in a possibly more adverse way. However, if it were in a different sign maybe I would have noticed it's effects earlier and been able to deal with it sooner.

I feel since it's an earth Singleton, Rx and the apex of a yod that it needs constant balancing. So anything to access the power of Mars does me good! However, since it's more internalized, due to the Rx, it's better that I'm competitive with myself or access it in an individualized manner.

Also to note it gets a Sextile from Saturn and a Square from Jupiter.

I'm not keen on discussing generalities and cookbooks like this I prefer specifics, charts. Like I've said many times here, what is the point in just discussing one aspect of a persons chart as we are ALL multi faceted human beings, and that's how it should be. For example 12 sun signs, 12 houses, there then 144 combinations there, same for rest of 9planets, then aspects. It's all about synthesis. I really can't see the point in discussing generalities about JUST mars is signs. What about mars in houses, what about mars in aspects, what *other aspects* does mars receive to alter, modify and change how mars performs??

No one's mars is going to act,behave like the next persons or member on here. I feel it's doing astrology a disservice, just taking one planet out of context and discussing IT, without considering lots of things connected to mars...

Last edited:

RaptInReverie

No one's mars is going to act,behave like the next persons or member on here. I feel it's doing astrology a disservice, just taking one planet out of context and discussing IT, without considering lots of things connected to mars...
Mars has the same function in every chart, so why not discuss it alone? The difference is in how and where its energy is expressed, but its function is the same. It is more than just action.

I do believe that Mars in Gemini can dispose a person to debate, sarcasm, and strong opinions. I can see this in you through the threads here.

Last edited:

JerryRR

The Maya associated Venus with War,they used Venus for their coronations and wars.Wars were planned when Venus rose.
I think it may have been Gauquelin that found more Generals were born under Libra.
I recommend "The Inner Planets-Building Blocks of Personal Reality."by Green and Sasportas.
Interesting thread.

J.R.

Love2Know

Yeah astrologer50, I don't know why I can't understand what it means... what makes mars what it is or the other planets, what is the root of this theory?

Love2Know

The Maya associated Venus with War,they used Venus for their coronations and wars.Wars were planned when Venus rose.
I think it may have been Gauquelin that found more Generals were born under Libra.
I recommend "The Inner Planets-Building Blocks of Personal Reality."by Green and Sasportas.
Interesting thread.

J.R.

Super cool!!!!!! Thanks. I REad I forget which army, ancient Greece or Rome!??!! They used to put war troops together based on their astrological comparability. This was determined by their rising signs (which was considered your most important or true sign) together. Does anyone remember this?

Love2Know

In the case of Mars and Saturn, many astrologers seem to suggest that they are malefic. I disagree. They are vital aspects of the psyche that must be expressed to maintain equilibrium. Furthermore, no matter how they relate to the other planets (aspects), they must maintain the core essence of their being--their purpose, if you will. They must uphold their part in the balancing out of your personality. For one will be apathetic without the drive of Mars and undisciplined without the structure of Saturn. Even where soft aspects are concerned, they still carry out their roles. It is up to the individual to decide whether or not they will express them in positive or negative ways. And an individual who represses or refuses to acknowledge the true natures of Mars and Saturn will be unbalanced and weak.[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking about my Venus square Saturn today in regrades to my relationships. I credit it with my intense focus on honesty, fidelity and almost business like mentality with maters of the heart. I don't mess around, there is no greater pain than hurting the ones you love. These are the morals and values I have learnt due to relationships, with the energy of this aspect working within the dynamic. I have had to seriously learn empathy and fidelity through pain. This is also one of my greatest strengths, I can be pretty flaky but not when it comes to love or close relationships, that is all serious stuff I will be there 100%. It took a lot of struggles to assimilate the harshness of this aspect and ingrain it into my mental workings, the end resulting in becoming more awakened and at peace with this part of myself. It went from so intense and serious to an almost Jupiter quality of expansion and luck or happy go lucky mentality.

Last edited:
OP parallels of declination

RIR,

As I suspected mercury/mars but as it turns out mercury/ pluto are contra parallel which acts like an opposition....:innocent: so this strenthens the retro motion and adds an ability to dig and delve, researching but also *capable* of verbal lacerations/acid tongue on occasion...

shows mental tension. You may become the repository of confidential information and problems of a personal nature by persons with whom you associate. This is a difficult aspect because you have a tendency toward harsh and abrupt speech. When challenged, you become emotionally and intellectually arrogant, as if your credibility is being questioned. You are impatient with yourself and others, demanding that projects get done immediately.
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/mercuryaspects.html#meopl

perceptive and you dig so deep for answers that you can be your own worst enemy. As a result, you might find ulterior motives or dark intent where there is none, and your suspicious, provocative attitude can cause some problems in your personal life, particularly if it reaches the level of paranoia. Not many people enjoy being second-guessed all the time, yet that is something that you are inclined to do, and a tendency that should be kept in check in your dealings with others.
http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/mercuryplutoaspects.html
So although mercury doesn't have an aspect to mars natally or pluto natally, declinations adds another layer.

Natal mars is apex for common Tsquare, a very tight square to moon, emotionally very assertive (bossy mother)

saturn, uranus and neptune are ALL contra parallel MC which acts like an opposition
Venus/chiron are parallel which acts like a conjuction
vertex/venus are contra parallel

Astrologer50 disagreed with a lot of my ideas of what Mars represents. She stated that aggression and the other seemingly “negative” attributes were only products of squares and other hard aspects to Mars. She believes that under the influence of soft aspects, Mars emits energy in a more harmonious fashion

and I still stand by this, but in our 'other thead' we were talking specifically mars sextile mercury. so the reason I have continued mercury/mars expressions was pure curiosity to see how your mercury functioned, hence the attached, parallels....

T Pluto is currently conj natal uranus, although outer generational planets may well be having an effect on communications as these outer form nice trines to mercury retro...

Attachments

• RIR.gif
    RIR.gif
    55.6 KB · Views: 24
  • RIR parallels.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Thanks for this discussion, interesting! I have been observing a lot of what I'd call mars energy in my two young sons. Apperantly, boys get their first surge of testosterone around age 4. You can actually see them change from sweet, passive children to being obsessed with graphic and gorey talk and fighting in general. Around this age they also become aware for the first time that they are separate from their mothers, and they must learn to defend themselves in some ways. Sometimes it seems as if their entire psychology is engaged in this quest for dominance and autonomy. This is a really important (although sometimes alarming) phase pf development. I see parents who are horrified by it and won't allow their boys to talk out and work out their fears and issues around these concepts (obviously I'm not suggesting they let their kids be violent or even play with fake weapons) but to honor their developmental need to work out their mars is VERY important I would think, in order to allow mars to function well in adulthood.

Love2Know

Honestly, this sounds more like me than my brother as children. Just for the record a lot of biology is 'Sexed' and 'sexist'.

StillOne

Thanks for this discussion, interesting! I have been observing a lot of what I'd call mars energy in my two young sons. Apperantly, boys get their first surge of testosterone around age 4. You can actually see them change from sweet, passive children to being obsessed with graphic and gorey talk and fighting in general. Around this age they also become aware for the first time that they are separate from their mothers, and they must learn to defend themselves in some ways. Sometimes it seems as if their entire psychology is engaged in this quest for dominance and autonomy. This is a really important (although sometimes alarming) phase pf development. I see parents who are horrified by it and won't allow their boys to talk out and work out their fears and issues around these concepts (obviously I'm not suggesting they let their kids be violent or even play with fake weapons) but to honor their developmental need to work out their mars is VERY important I would think, in order to allow mars to function well in adulthood.
Very interesting. I think it's also interesting to note that the basis for the thread is the difference in opinion between a male and a female.

Honestly, this sounds more like me than my brother as children. Just for the record a lot of biology is 'Sexed' and 'sexist'.

Gawd, I was just gonna put in a disclaimer: I only have boys, that is all I know, please don't be offended if this comes off as sexist, but from the dozens and dozens of mothers I've talked to, this testosterone surge is REAL.

Love2Know

I'm not offended, more interested. I am not a doctor all I know is sociology and how the art of medicine with social perception has been coupled and personified. Sorry, if I seemed to be offended or such! I was more enthusiastic..... Yes people have coupled testosterone with male attributes no argument with that here. Hey maybe I am full of testosterone myself lol!

Caro

I see this post has taken off.................:happy: (very mars)

my progressed libran mars is in scorpio not sure when then happened. no other planets in scorpio. placed in the 12th house. didnt express my anger to my parents when younger but did to my siblings! wild fighting! :devil:

mainly I express my anger through verbal stuff. and yes you have to check the other part of a chart to see how it manifests. have got better at handling it as I have got older though. thankfully.

I also have read about that librans are often found in the governments of those who go to war. ie Margaret Thatcher and Falklands war. now David Cameron - its like the iron fist behind the velvet glove.

I have met many very fiesty mars in pisces too! So again not playing too type.

anger is very creative and a normal ok human emotion and that is where i think the confusion is. it does need an outlet.

i have a saturn transit to my mars coming up in my 12th. (Im considering jumping to whole house as then it will be in my first house) but already I see this coming out via communication and verbally. So the frustration/anger I feel about previous events is being expressed in that way. lots of complaint letters and very blunt (well thought) out arguments!!!! I present a very forceful argument and it takes people by surprise a lot of the time.

Love2Know

My bosses and main manager are all libras, my gosh they do not mess around, if they get pissed they will let you know. My dad and my brother as well both libras but my bro is really mellowed out his anger is more explosive the rest are like constantly easily irritated. If I stay calm they get mad at me if I just get irritated with them it defuses them a bit. Kinda weird for what I know from libra.

I'm not offended, more interested. I am not a doctor all I know is sociology and how the art of medicine with social perception has been coupled and personified. Sorry, if I seemed to be offended or such! I was more enthusiastic..... Yes people have coupled testosterone with male attributes no argument with that here. Hey maybe I am full of testosterone myself lol!

Haha...see mars transiting Virgo now is just about to enter my first house and conjunct my chart ruler and sun...now my mars is in cancer, so my red flags for mars out of wack is getting DEFENSIVE. I really hope I don't spend the next 9 months of mars in virgo defending myself against nothing....not that I thought you were offended L2K, it's just hard to talk about what really goes on with young children without sounding like the biggest sexist ever. You have a lot of Leo (masculine) energy and you may well have high testosterone. Fascinating stuff!

*Strokes her mustache and nods
I have been so out of wack this week, well more than normal. I realized I just need several martinis and to hang out with friends. I don't know what transit I could attribute that too... a lazy one cuz when I go lazy I go crazy- Saturn in the 4th?

Lol!
Hope you get those martinis, darling...btw, just planning my thanksgiving menu...clementine champagne martinis and kir royal. OMG I'm in heaven planning menus, that's what my mars in cancer loves best. Don't mind me, I'll just wait out my mars storm in the kitchen! :innocent:

Hahah sounds like a delicious plan, Yeah I had some crazy martinis last night an amazing pear one and one with amaretto and other stuff in it...... mellowed me right out haha It was suppose to be a girls night but then my bf showed up oh well he wouldnt even drink a martini he said it's for women, James Bond Hello! anyways getting off track nice, and good luck with the dinner are you cooking it all yourself?!?!

You bet! It usually takes me three days of prep and cooking for a big holiday meal. It is my idea of fun. Sorry, OP, we are derailing!:bandit:

dhundhun

This is just to give you some different perspective.

For starters, my background in occult studies encompasses planetary magick, and my views of the planets are heavily influenced by the ancient archetypes of the seven classical “planets“: Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn (Of course the Sun and the Moon are not technically planets).

As far as Astrology is concerned, Sun and Moon are planet. They go around Earth (basically individuals, such as me, you).

In regards to the planet Mars, I have come to the conclusion that its true attributes are wrongfully considered by many to be “negative”, so astrologers water them down to make them more palatable for their querents. But this misunderstanding arises only when one fails to realize the bigger picture. No planets are ‘good” or “bad”. They all balance each other out, creating an equilibrium in the personality.

Mars represents drive, action, energy, passion, courage, force, aggression, survival, desire, competition, pursuit, ambition, strength, courage, anger, domination, ruthlessness, combativeness, physicality, and human nature (as in fight or flight). I firmly hold to these archetypes because they were gathered from my own meditation on the Martian energy and not from a book by another astrologer.

One spur of Mars can have severe damage, for example saying Talak, Talak, Talak in Islam to spouse. They are unrepairable damage.

On guy in India killed his two sons by shooting in head, just because he was not able to sleep.

Mars is like pulling trigger.

In Indian Astrology, for marriages it's placement is very important. Mars in 1st, 4th, 7th, 8th and 12th are called Manglik. Generally people avoid marriage between Manglik and non-Manglik. Why, a Manglik with Mars in 7th can slap and abuse spouse - Even if the trigger is once in life time. Same thing may not be important, where slapping or abusing or divorcing each other is common. You can guess about other houses, how Mars can influence in marriage life. Where Mars in welcome: in 10th, in 3rd, in 11th, in 6th.

She stated that aggression and the other seemingly “negative” attributes were only products of squares and other hard aspects to Mars. She believes that under the influence of soft aspects, Mars emits energy in a more harmonious fashion.

In example above, Mars in 7th with good aspect to other means partner does not care about being abused or beaten. OR ...

In Indian Astrology Manglik to Manglik match means both can take fight. For example both having Mars in 7th - both can't suppress each other.