A Discussion Thread About Racism in America

katydid

For some, the ugly past isn't just "water under the bridge", "forget about it", "pretend it never happened". In many nations, even ancient history is still a burning issue. It's going to take Individualists of all races and religions to realize that it's time for a new beginning. Not everyone can do that. This is mob-mentality anger and resentment you're describing, over perceived racism embedded in the Euro-American hegemony of the U.S. economy. It's a reaction, not a cause.

It may be a reaction but it is causing other reactions in response. :alien:

david starling

This isn't exactly new. Many Euro-Americans who put their lives on the line during the desegregation protests in the South, were rejected by some of the more radical "Black Militants" who believed that the struggle for their civil rights should be an an all-Afro-American movement. Hurt feelings then as well.

katydid

This isn't exactly new. Many Euro-Americans who put their lives on the line during the desegregation protests in the South, were rejected by some of the more radical "Black Militants" who believed that the struggle for their civil rights should be an an all-Afro-American movement. Hurt feelings then as well.

What do you think about the demands for Blacks Only dorms and Blacks Only 'safe spaces' and study areas.

Black Student Group at UC Santa Cruz Threatens More Takeovers

A radical black student group known as The African/Black Student Alliance (A/BSA), which recently ended its occupation of a building on the UC Santa Cruz campus after university officials granted them every one of their demands, is threatening more civil disruption if its new demands are not met.

Under the heading, “Who We Are?”, the answer offers additional insight (original emphasis):

The Afrikan/Black Student Alliance is an Afrikan/Black/Caribbean (ABC) student-led and student-run organization on the campus of the University of California at Santa Cruz…We are the descendants of forcefully enslaved Afrikan people in “The Americas”, as well as the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth generation immigrant and migrant children. We are capitalists, anti-capitalists, and Anarchists. We are everything because Blackness is everything.

http://www.breitbart.com/california...vers-at-uc-santa-cruz-if-new-demands-not-met/

david starling

What do you think about the demands for Blacks Only dorms and Blacks Only 'safe spaces' and study areas.

Black Student Group at UC Santa Cruz Threatens More Takeovers

A radical black student group known as The African/Black Student Alliance (A/BSA), which recently ended its occupation of a building on the UC Santa Cruz campus after university officials granted them every one of their demands, is threatening more civil disruption if its new demands are not met.

Under the heading, “Who We Are?”, the answer offers additional insight (original emphasis):

The Afrikan/Black Student Alliance is an Afrikan/Black/Caribbean (ABC) student-led and student-run organization on the campus of the University of California at Santa Cruz…We are the descendants of forcefully enslaved Afrikan people in “The Americas”, as well as the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth generation immigrant and migrant children. We are capitalists, anti-capitalists, and Anarchists. We are everything because Blackness is everything.

http://www.breitbart.com/california...vers-at-uc-santa-cruz-if-new-demands-not-met/

Sounds like an angry, frustrated group of people with a need to vent their emotions. Segregation based on race is a nasty way to go about it. I'd call it a symptom of the "Failure of the Imagination". Individualistic-minded members of all races are the cure.
Universities are giving these "group-think" young people a chance to work out their mental health problems in a safe setting, but it must be very upsetting for students who are there to get a good, but unfortunately, VERY expensive education. Banding together to lower tuition costs for ALL students would be a Cause worth supporting.

Last edited:

CapAquaPis

People who are racist against others aren't well educated, or they are believers in conspiracy theorists about groups of people, or pseudo-scientific ideas about racial supremacy. They don't really know any history and science, other than revisionist history or claim their racial views came from biblical scriptures. And you don't want to debate with someone obviously uneducated about reality.

Oddity

People who are racist against others aren't well educated, or they are believers in conspiracy theorists about groups of people, or pseudo-scientific ideas about racial supremacy. They don't really know any history and science, other than revisionist history or claim their racial views came from biblical scriptures. And you don't want to debate with someone obviously uneducated about reality.

It would be nice if racism were so easily pegged. It isn't. There are plenty of uneducated people who aren't racist, and plenty of educated people who are.

david starling

It would be nice if racism were so easily pegged. It isn't. There are plenty of uneducated people who aren't racist, and plenty of educated people who are.

"....or they are believers in....pseudo-scientific ideas about racial supremacy." Higher education helps counteract racism, but it's not a panacea.

Kscar

This is all I'm really gonna say about this...

Racism is a s*** way of thinking or feeling. Same with most other isms.
We all bleed red. We all breath ect. All these differences should be built upon to make us all stronger. I have friends of all different colors and creeds. They even talk amongst each other.

I don't think I'll ever understand why people can be so... Ugly in that regard. Mind you I also have a highly racist friend, though his reasoning is relatively understandable.

His fathers work place was robbed, three men were killed, his father was shot three times, should have died, instead he has a rod up his spine and hasn't been able to do as much as he was able too back then... Four black males were the ones responsible. My friend was 8 when it happened. It's shaped his mind set. He has, with time softened his opinion on it all.

Possibly because I tell him regularly that I don't want to hear him cast blame on an entire sub set of the species for the actions of four stupid individuals. Outside of that he's an awesome person. Quite intelligent.

david starling

This is all I'm really gonna say about this...

Racism is a s*** way of thinking or feeling. Same with most other isms.
We all bleed red. We all breath ect. All these differences should be built upon to make us all stronger. I have friends of all different colors and creeds. They even talk amongst each other.

I don't think I'll ever understand why people can be so... Ugly in that regard. Mind you I also have a highly racist friend, though his reasoning is relatively understandable.

His fathers work place was robbed, three men were killed, his father was shot three times, should have died, instead he has a rod up his spine and hasn't been able to do as much as he was able too back then... Four black males were the ones responsible. My friend was 8 when it happened. It's shaped his mind set. He has, with time softened his opinion on it all.

Possibly because I tell him regularly that I don't want to hear him cast blame on an entire sub set of the species for the actions of four stupid individuals. Outside of that he's an awesome person. Quite intelligent.

Even highly educated, intellectual geniuses can be prejudiced and bigoted. It's been likened to a mental illness.

katydid

"....or they are believers in....pseudo-scientific ideas about racial supremacy." Higher education helps counteract racism, but it's not a panacea.

I used to believe that higher education counteracted racism. But recently, I have seen it being just the opposite in some instances.

Kscar

I think it has a lot to do with a person's experiences in life. Especially during the formative years, and any adjustment periods like puberty, coming of age IE adulthood, transition from any decade, like from the 20's to 30's ect. IDK. The moment I ever find myself thinking those types of things... I hope I never get like that.

Kscar

I used to believe that higher education counteracted racism. But recently, I have seen it being just the opposite in some instances.

I've noticed that some of the more educated people use they're intelligence to justify they're racism.

david starling

The only thing that really counteracts it is Individualism--perceiving oneself and others as unique individuals first, and members of a race, religion, gender, or ethnic group second. Astrology promotes individualism, because each Natal-chart is that of an individual. I stay away from attempting to characterize an entire culture, religion or ethnic group as being of a particular Sign--that's stereotyping and entirely subjective. You could say a particular culture places greater emphasis on some attitudes and abilities more than others, but that doesn't mean that someone born into that culture has those attitudes and abilities. "Everyone an individual first" is the only way to end racism. [IMO]

david starling

Hmm....is it possible this racial bullying occurring on some college campuses is like saying "This is how WE'RE being stereotyped and excluded in the dominant culture--now let's see how YOU like it!"?
If so, it's the wrong approach. "Now you know how I feel!" is an anger-management issue, not a solution.

david starling

I don't live in US, I live in Venezuela and racism here is the opposite. Minorities who came from other countries try us with some disgust. They don't like their sons and daughters meet with us because were are "poor" and "No-white". They have bakeries, supermarkets and others stores and they treat their employees (Venezuelan people) like sh*t and the pay is really really bad.

I had an Italian friend and I put some distance between us (I never saw her again) because she said to me that I will never marry with someone of her family and I will have to marry with someone "like me". She thought that I was in love with her fool cousin :andy: . Also, Her uncle married with a Venezuelan women and their family says "that woman is not our family".

Any countries in particular?

david starling

Most of them are from Italy, China, Libano, Turkey, Syria and other Muslim countries that I don't know because we refer to all Muslims like "Turcos".

Well. Venezuela is overwhelmingly Catholic. That means the Moslem communities are a distinct minority, in both race and religion. They and the others, including from the U.S., probably came in with money, which gives them that sense of superiority--money will do that.

CapAquaPis

In the USA, "everyone" is or descended from immigrants, exceptions are the Native Americans in this continent for 15 to 50,000 years. Xenophobia like racism is considered "wack" to many in my generation (I'm born 1980 - a Sun/Moon Aquarius) and we believe immigration brings out the best in this country. For African-Americans, being regulated to the social underclass due to their skin color indicates not everyone has their fullest liberties in our history.