A Discussion Thread About Racism in America

JUPITERASC

030dfdff.jpeg

CapAquaPis

Another Minneapolis police officer, his accomplice in the George Floyd incident was Laotian nationality, Theo Vao (?) ... and it turns out Derek Chauvin had an Asian (also Laotian) wife who was a local beauty contestant. Chauvin may be a racist, but he has a wife who can be considered BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Color). She isn't Black nor Indigenous, the term BIPOC is an umbrella term of different racial groups and communities of people, since Asians are of many countries in the namesake continent spanning from Turkey to Thailand.

CapAquaPis

White people like myself were taught (esp. the last 25, but can go back to 50 years) on avoidance of the topic "Black people", which to me is ridiculous, but it shows a fear of saying anything perceived or misinterpreted as offensive and insensitive to the black/African-American experience. In 1970, older people still referred to blacks and African-Americans "Negroes and Coloreds" while young adults back then asked their parents and grandparents to use "black people" and in the 1990s before the year 2000 came around, "African Americans" out of dignity and respect. My own parents said in the 1950s and 60s, "Colored" was more preferred than "Negro", but now I'm asked to avoid "African" American and the term "black" can have negative overtones, so for White people, they aren't sure the proper terminology for..."people of color"? I knew since I was a 80s kid to never use the "N word" and by 2020 (or earlier, 2010) this was the worst or the "baddest" word in American dialect (and global) English language.

CapAquaPis

I never understood the GOP claiming to oppose the evils of slavery and then to do a 180 on denying there's a racism problem in society: "they need to go to school, go to work, follow the law and follow our culture". :-/ Republicans are about less (or no big) government, but are into individual responsibility like "If you lose in life, don't blame others for your loss". Abraham Lincoln, the GOP's first president is the opposite of Donald Trump in attitudes about civil rights.

leomoon

I never understood the GOP claiming to oppose the evils of slavery and then to do a 180 on denying there's a racism problem in society: "they need to go to school, go to work, follow the law and follow our culture". :-/ Republicans are about less (or no big) government, but are into individual responsibility like "If you lose in life, don't blame others for your loss". Abraham Lincoln, the GOP's first president is the opposite of Donald Trump in attitudes about civil rights.

AND from what I can see, the opposite of Jesus Christ and what he taught.

‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these
(Matthew 5:44–48). God shows love to all people (John 3:16–18; Romans 1:19–20; 2 Peter 3:9). As His child

We love our neighbors, including our neighbors who seem like enemies to us, when we act toward them with a heart that first loves God. We love our neighbors out of an overflow of God’s love for us and as a way of demonstrating our love toward God (1 John 4:7–12; Colossians 4:5–6; 1 Peter 3:15–16).

Neighbors include literal ones and not so literal, such as our neighbors to the south of the border and their children.

Jesus made no exceptions.

CapAquaPis

Libertarians Aren't Authoritarian
Jorgensen's Tweet That We MUST Be Anti-Racist Missed The Mark :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpxrIywI77A

Libertarianism is skeptical of Civil Rights laws while they strongly opposed acts of racism are deep violations of civil liberties. Rand Paul enacted a bill to end "no knock" warrant practices in response to his home state KY had the Breonna Taylor incident. Like conservatism, Libertarianism criticized social liberalism for passing certain legislation and promotion of social norms in order to not offend minority groups can actually be a violation of some constitutional freedoms.

CapAquaPis

The same mentality of being tolerant (and still bigoted) in conservative circles:
* "We respect women, I open the doors for her first"
Meanwhile, they oppose many women's rights, which are civil rights, esp. the right to have an abortion if she chooses to have one.

* "I don't care what Gay people do in their bedroom"
Then they strongly oppose same-sex marriage like it's going to take down whole civilizations or bring on the end of the world.

And finally (an old big sociocultural issue in the USA)
* "I respect everyone's right of religion, I'm a Christian who loves all people"
And insist everyone needs Jesus or has to be a Christian (esp Evangelical and Protestant kinds) in order for their souls to be saved.

To be a PC liberal but all you're doing is being a hypocrite paying with lip service to make yourself look "socially responsible" and still, being a bigot.

petosiris

Banned
AND from what I can see, the opposite of Jesus Christ and what he taught.

‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these
(Matthew 5:44–48). God shows love to all people (John 3:16–18; Romans 1:19–20; 2 Peter 3:9). As His child

We love our neighbors, including our neighbors who seem like enemies to us, when we act toward them with a heart that first loves God. We love our neighbors out of an overflow of God’s love for us and as a way of demonstrating our love toward God (1 John 4:7–12; Colossians 4:5–6; 1 Peter 3:15–16).

Neighbors include literal ones and not so literal, such as our neighbors to the south of the border and their children.

Jesus made no exceptions.

Who does Jesus say is the neighbour of the injured Jew? It wasn't the priest or the Levite, but the Samaritan, the foreigner who showed mercy to him - Luke 10:30-37. So the priest and the Levite weren't his neighbours.

petosiris

Banned
The same mentality of being tolerant (and still bigoted) in conservative circles:
* "We respect women, I open the doors for her first"
Meanwhile, they oppose many women's rights, which are civil rights, esp. the right to have an abortion if she chooses to have one.

* "I don't care what Gay people do in their bedroom"
Then they strongly oppose same-sex marriage like it's going to take down whole civilizations or bring on the end of the world.

And finally (an old big sociocultural issue in the USA)
* "I respect everyone's right of religion, I'm a Christian who loves all people"
And insist everyone needs Jesus or has to be a Christian (esp Evangelical and Protestant kinds) in order for their souls to be saved.

To be a PC liberal but all you're doing is being a hypocrite paying with lip service to make yourself look "socially responsible" and still, being a bigot.

Those things may not contradict each other. This is why it is important to explain and elaborate on what we actually mean in our definitions, so that there may be a respectable and well-reasoned disagreement.

leomoon

Who does Jesus say is the neighbour of the injured Jew? It wasn't the priest or the Levite, but the Samaritan, the foreigner who showed mercy to him - Luke 10:30-37. So the priest and the Levite weren't his neighbours.

THANKS for your opinion on my post. But I disagree, he makes no exceptions to what he called the 11th Commandment.

"Love thy neighbor as thyself" perhaps is as old as the Buddha who taught the same.

Mark 12:31 The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as ...

https://[B]biblehub.com[/B]/mark/12-31.htmhttps://www.bing.com/search?FORM=U5...+and+buddha+teach+the+same+love+thy+neighbor#
… 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.

.......what does one gain by only loving those who love YOU?

Excellent question Cayce posed!

petosiris

Banned
THANKS for your opinion on my post. But I disagree, he makes no exceptions to what he called the 11th Commandment.

"Love thy neighbor as thyself" perhaps is as old as the Buddha who taught the same.

Mark 12:31 The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as ...

https://[B]biblehub.com[/B]/mark/12-31.htmhttps://www.bing.com/search?FORM=U5...+and+buddha+teach+the+same+love+thy+neighbor#
… 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.

Leomoon, did you read the parable of Luke 10:30-37? Your claim that everyone is a neighbour to everyone is not what Jesus taught. Certainly being a neighbour transcends racial and tribal boundaries according to his parable, but not works of mercy and kindness. In fact Jesus tells us to be neighbours - Luke 10:37, so it is not an innate quality.

.......what does one gain by only loving those who love YOU?

Excellent question Cayce posed!

''But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?'' - Matthew 5 ESV

That is what Jesus posed as a question, yet he made a distinction between neighbours and enemies, and between the love for a neighbour and the love for an enemy. Does God love the sinner as he loves his Son? By no means! For it is written ''for the Father loves the Son and shows him all that he himself is doing'' but ''the boastful shall not stand before your eyes, you hate all workers of iniquity''.

How does God love his enemies? By sending them rain and giving them chance for repentance before his judgement.

How does God hate his enemies? His apostle says ''But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger'' - Rom. 2:8.

And in another place ''So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.'' - Gal. 6:10. So Jesus does not want us to treat everyone equally. I am sure you do not treat your family and friends as you do complete strangers.

P.S. he never calls that the 11th commandment/word. Jesus is quoting Moses who lived nearly a thousand years before Siddhartha. The law treated love for neighbours and sojourners equally - Lev. 19:18, 34, so it is no surprise that the Lord uses a Samaritan in his parable against the self-justifying lawyer.

Last edited:

leomoon

We will have to agree to disagree! Part of being human.

Ref:
So Jesus does not want us to treat everyone equally. I am sure you do not treat your family and friends as you do complete strangers.
I try to as best I can. Only higher forces will determine in the end if I met the goal.