Elevated and pitted degrees

07.Re

Thank you for that detailed explanation Dr Farr :)

I'll be checking how these degrees influence my chart. For starters, I'm aware that my Jupiter is in a pit and at a critical degree.

dr. farr

It would mean:
-that Mars influence in the nativity is amplified
-and that the more favorable/benefic/constructive qualities of Mars are emphasized, and the disruptive/malefic qualities of Mars are diminished.
-also, that-everything else being equal-transits to the natal Mars are amplified in their influence.

Mark

The list of elevated/pitted degrees seems to list the degrees of signs from 0 to 29. The first critical degree in Capricorn is 0, not 1. Going through the list manually, I see 4 degrees that are both critical and pitted (same as previously listed).

21 Leo
9 Scorpio
21 Scorpio
21 Aquarius

Is there any way to shed light on the mathematics of this system? I would find that most interesting.

Claire19

My Uranus is in Leo 4 degrees. Tho that's supposed to be in the sign of its detriment. So because mine is 4 degrees that bails me out somewhat? Cool if that's the case. lol. I know it's in Jupiters bounds/terms.

I see my Saturn in Scorpio 26 degrees is pitted.
I dont subscribe to the detriment, fall etc terminology.......or that the number of degrees by itself is significant. Everything ties in with the aspects to other planets and if you have a good aspect at 4 degrees say Libra with Uranus sextile to say Venus then it is propitious. A chart has to be taken as a whole and not just isolated placements. I have never heard of "pitted" and I have been practising for 30 years. Some of the old astrology is narrow and sexist, moralistic.......according to the times. Uranus as the planet of astrology also deals with breaking down stereotypes, is modern essentially and humane, non sexist. Moving with the times!!!:smile:.

dr. farr

I fail to understand how the old time doctrine of pitted and elevated degrees (and critical degrees) is connected with "sexist" or "moralist" attitudes...

Modernist astrology does not use concepts of dignities and debilities, which is great for those who are using that model; traditionalist astrology rarely uses the degree qualities (like pits and peaks) in delineation; Vedic astrology also does not pay attention to qualities of degrees. All of these models, in the hands of experts, are highly accurate analytical and predictive methods.
I have simply found by experience that taking the degree-qualities into account in delineation, I get more accurate results. This thread is presented only for the general information of AW members, and for those few who might want to experiment with the pits and peaks for themselves.

Last edited:

dr. farr

The list of elevated/pitted degrees seems to list the degrees of signs from 0 to 29. The first critical degree in Capricorn is 0, not 1. Going through the list manually, I see 4 degrees that are both critical and pitted (same as previously listed).

21 Leo
9 Scorpio
21 Scorpio
21 Aquarius

Is there any way to shed light on the mathematics of this system? I would find that most interesting.

Thanks for the correction: yes, 1Capricorn is a pitted degree ONLY, not also a critical degree; however, I noticed that 0Libra should be added to the pitted/critical degree list.

Where did these degree allocations come from? They might have developed from the "partes damnande" (involving 102 degrees of the ecliptic) listed by Manilius in the "Astronomica" (14AD)-but the source of these is nowhere to be found in the (known) historical literature. We don't find any similar kind of degree-system in Vedic astrology, so there is no help from that quarter. There is suggestive material connecting degree-qualities to the long-lost "Great Celestial Handbook" of Petosiris and Nechepso (c. 150 BC, Alexandria), and also that in some way they represent indications used in ancient Egyptian calendrical astrology. But nothing concrete has yet been brought to light. The Ebertin Cosmobiologie school, and the extensive researches of Charles Carter, has brought much information to light regarding degree-areas, but this is not the same as the ancient degree-quality material, such as here in the case of pits and peaks...

Last edited:

Skillcoil

In my opinion:
...the natal Moon being elevated or pitted would increase (if elevated) or diminish (if pitted) the influence of all Lunar influences upon that individual, including the "intensity" of influence of the Lunar Mansions upon that individual.
... If the Moon is in an elevated degree, the generic (mundane) influence of that Mansion is increased; if in a pitted degree, the generic (mundane) influence of that Mansion is diminished (this is from the Ankara tradition)

Question 2: pits and peaks apply (as I understand it) only to planets and Parts/Lots; they do not apply to stars acting through cusps/angles, nor to house cusps/angles (azimene degrees apply to both planets and cusps/angles; also the very ancient Manilius "partes damnande" applied to the cusps and angles, not to the planets-but these subjects of azimene degrees and partes damnande are advanced and rather abstruse specialty matters)

Thank you. Since my Moon is in an elevated degree in Sagittarius, what if it's ruling planet Jupiter is retrograde?

dr. farr

From my point of view, the Moon would be amplified in its (particularly benefic) influences in the chart (and in all future transits to the natal Moon position as well); the condition of its sign dispositor (Jupiter) would not have an influence upon this amplified Lunar state.

isismagdalenne

apparently, in my chart, Pluto and the Moon are pitted and Jupiter is elevated. Whoooo jupiter! Thats probably a pretty good planet to have all shiny and such.
Dr. Farr dont worry about if people like what you have to say or not. There are PLENTY of people interested in it all. And anyone that doesnt like your methods, here is an idea, they can just not use them. I cant even imagine why they banned you on another site, seems crazy and a waste of a good brain hanging around.

BobZemco

The list of elevated/pitted degrees seems to list the degrees of signs from 0 to 29. The first critical degree in Capricorn is 0, not 1.

That would depend on the system of reckoning: 0 to 29 or 1 to 30.

0 to 29 is a modern thing used mostly to make it easier for software programs to calculate charts.

Going through the list manually, I see 4 degrees that are both critical and pitted (same as previously listed).

21 Leo
9 Scorpio
21 Scorpio
21 Aquarius

Critical Degrees are a corrupted version of the Vedic Moon Mansions. It could be possible these are "Planetary Mansions."

I've also heard the Degrees of Fortune and Pitted Degrees are Planetary Nodes, but I don't really see how unless they are the points where the Planetary Nodes would conjunct the Antiscion/Contra-Antiscion when in a given Sign.

Mark

There were three distinctly different systems of lunar mansions. One could argue that there are four, given that the Hindu system spawned an additional 27 mansion system. They are all similar and probably based on the same things, but they don't directly translate to critical degrees. The lunar mansion systems are star-based. Critical degrees are tropical and therefore angle-based.

As to the list of degrees, I checked the list at the time of that posting and found that the measurements used to create the list were 0-29. There are no 30's, yet there are 0's. Look at the list to see for yourself.

juicey J.

Banned
Howdy, I'm new here and I'm much intersted and learning and discussing astrology with you fine folks. Ok, so this elevated pitted degree thing sounds interesting to me, is there any mathmatic logic behind it?

dr. farr

Howdy, I'm new here and I'm much intersted and learning and discussing astrology with you fine folks. Ok, so this elevated pitted degree thing sounds interesting to me, is there any mathmatic logic behind it?

None that has been discovered. This "celestial topography" does not seem to be based upon any kind of a theory, nor to derive (like the hermetic aspects do) from geometrical/numerological considerations.
Perhaps (like the association of degree areas with the exaltation and fall of planets) it is based on (very ancient) empirical observations (and maybe "experiments"), or perhaps it is based on direct perception (gnostic experiential perception) of the Cosmos by adepts in ancient times: whatever, the concept was "just there" (in Greco/Roman astrological practice) in "full bloom" at least 1700 years ago....

juicey J.

Banned
Thanks. Now, this is a bit of subject but still in much in the spirit of your topic, does a planet only have exaltation at an exalted degree or does is a planet simply more exalted at the exalted degree?

dr. farr

Thanks. Now, this is a bit of subject but still in much in the spirit of your topic, does a planet only have exaltation at an exalted degree or does is a planet simply more exalted at the exalted degree?

In my understanding of the historical concepts relating to this question, I would have to say that the planet (already in exaltation) becomes more exalted (in its benefic influences) if it is posited in an elevated degree.
What if a planet is in its exaltation but is also in a pitted degree? The historical concept would be that this planet is neutralized in its influence (that is, by this accidental debility of being in a pitted degree, that planet's influence is "boxed in" or "blocked" to a significant extent)

dr. farr

Remember that these degrees are not absolute, they indicate amplification or inhibition (boxing in, neutralizing tendency) only, and so are similar to concepts of dignity and debility relative to signs, positions on the wheel of houses, and so on.
I think they often explain a lot: why some planets that look strong in the chart don't do much in the life, while other planets that look so-so turn out to act like dynamite in the life.

Relative to my outlook re to transits, I"ll say that even on a free-speech site like AW some of my approaches to horary have caused me to be accused by a traditionalist practitioner of trying to overthrow standard horary practice, and some of my postings in other forums have led to a Modernist practitioner accusing me of being on an intellectual ego trip and writing about things which have little or nothing to do with the study of astrology! My outlook relative to transits (and, indeed to natal delineation) is more radical than what I've posted regarding these other subjects (like horary) so I keep this material to myself...

Vagabondgirl

Ok, then I have 3 pitted planets... Mars at 20 deg. virgo, Sun at 19. deg. libra and saturn at 26 deg. scorpio. Bad luck or what?

But moon is at 29. deg. virgo. So then its elevated?

dr. farr

No, it doesn't mean bad luck at all: merely that the influences of Mars, Sun and Saturn are limited, inhibited, and tend toward NEUTRALITY, being neither particularly "good" NOR particularly "bad" in their effects. The Moon at 29 Virgo is neither in a pit nor an elevation (see list) but say it were at 19 Virgo, that would be an elevation and this means that the influence of the Moon in the chart is amplified, that any debility it might have is largely overcome, and that its influence will tend to be positive/benefic in the chart.

Last edited: