Is it true traditional astrologers exclude modern planets?

Oddity

Wouldn't it be nice if people didn't come to this board to tell us: this isn't how traditional astrology is done, you're stupid, you're sheep...

Ah, well. One can dream.

Osamenor

Staff member
All,

I see a lot of confusion here. It's especially well expressed in this post:

**Shocked** I never knew up until just reading this thread, that Modern Astrology was so frowned upon on this forum.

Even in horary i a few times have noticed outers having a say in the chart, especially uranus. In a recent pregnancy chart on here, moon had just left a conjunction with uranus (plus other aspects) when she found out she was indeed out of the blue pregnant.

So were not allowed to discuss outers on AW at all ? is it against the forum rules ?

Discussion of outers is allowed on AW except on the Traditional Astrology board, which is where this thread was originally posted. I have moved it for that reason. It sounds to me like that confusion came from people saying "this forum" when they meant the Traditional Astrology board, but "this forum" could just as easily mean the entire site.

For everyone's reminder, here is the blurb for the Traditional Astrology board. If you wish to post in Traditional Astrology, please read the blurb first and make sure your posting is traditional by the forum's definition:

For discussions on Traditional Astrology only. (Note: Typically, traditional astrology is defined as using techniques developed prior to 1700 by astrologers from the Hellenistic, Persian, Hebrew, and Renaissance eras. Specifically it relies on Ptolemaic aspects (sextile, trine, square, opposition and conjunction) and excludes modern planets (Neptune, Uranus and Pluto,) non-Ptolemaic aspects, as well as any asteroids. The focus is less on what would be considered modern psychological chart interpretation and more on prediction. Members who wish to explore a combination of traditional and modern ideas should feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate forum for further discussion.)

Bolded parts mine, for emphasis.

Since this thread is no longer on the Traditional Astrology board, discussion of it not being appropriate for where it's posted is no longer relevant. If anyone genuinely wants to discuss the non-use of outer planets in traditional astrology, why that's so, anything like that, you may continue to do so respectfully.

waybread

It would be nice to focus on the actual issues.

Jupiter Ascendant mentioned what I think is the main issue.

Traditional western astrology tends to look at the strength of planets as sorted out by a table of essential dignities. There are a couple of different versions (Chaldean, Egyptian) but basically it is really important to traditional astrology. Because the table of essential dignities goes back to the ancient Egyptians and Babylonians, and the first modern outer (Uranus) wasn't discovered until the 18th century, there just isn't any way to shoehorn the modern outers into this table.

The trads also consider "accidental dignities" that seem less important to mods, such as angularity, being in- or out-of-sect.

Oddity mentioned something near and dear to the hearts of many traditional astrologers, the concept of light visible to the naked eye. I don't buy it personally, for reasons I can get into, but nonetheless, it matters to the trads.

Some trads use the modern outers as separate data points, others do not. None of them, so far as I know, would use a modern outer as a sign ruler.

JUPITERASC

you are posting on Traditional forum
Traditional forum excludes the outers
:smile:
nothing to do with sheep
Aries is the Sign represented by a male sheep .
Aries is a Sign featured in modern astrology :smile:

by the way
a moderator has just highlighted
that this thread is no longer on the Traditional board

All,
Discussion of outers is allowed on AW except on the Traditional Astrology board, which is where this thread was originally posted. I have moved it for that reason. It sounds to me like that confusion came from people saying "this forum" when they meant the Traditional Astrology board, but "this forum" could just as easily mean the entire site.

For everyone's reminder, here is the blurb for the Traditional Astrology board. If you wish to post in Traditional Astrology, please read the blurb first and make sure your posting is traditional by the forum's definition:

Bolded parts mine, for emphasis.

Quote:
For discussions on Traditional Astrology only. (Note: Typically, traditional astrology is defined as using techniques developed prior to 1700 by astrologers from the Hellenistic, Persian, Hebrew, and Renaissance eras. Specifically it relies on Ptolemaic aspects (sextile, trine, square, opposition and conjunction) and excludes modern planets (Neptune, Uranus and Pluto,) non-Ptolemaic aspects, as well as any asteroids. The focus is less on what would be considered modern psychological chart interpretation and more on prediction. Members who wish to explore a combination of traditional and modern ideas should feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate forum for further discussion.)

Since this thread is no longer on the Traditional Astrology board, discussion of it not being appropriate for where it's posted is no longer relevant. If anyone genuinely wants to discuss the non-use of outer planets in traditional astrology, why that's so, anything like that, you may continue to do so respectfully.

JUPITERASC

Is the significance of an Aspect based on Declinations a Traditional concept?
So, Traditional doesn't use a male sheep for Cardinal-Fire?

for anyone requiring validation of traditional concepts
there is a useful STUDY LIBRARY OF FREE TEXTS ON THE WEB
There are five collections in this library

• The main collection contains links to books and magazines written in English
  • that are directly related to 'traditional astrology' (from classical to modern times) :smile:
  • The extended collection refers to texts that are partly astrological
  • or useful for historical research or philosophical principles.
  • The ancient collection contains links to ancient texts, fragments
  • or secondary sources that cover the ancient period.
  • The scholar's collection contains links to published theses, dissertations
  • and peer-reviewed papers.
  • The Latin & Greek collection contains links to important works in older languages

Another good list of links to astrological works is available at
http://cura.free.fr/DIAL.html

muchacho

The assumption that traditional astrologers don't use modern planets doesn't hold up to scrutiny. How many traditional astrologers do you know that ignore the modern planets?

Only Vedic astrologers do this, from what I have seen.

Consider preeminent scholar of Medieval astrology, Robert Zoller, uses the outer planets. Skyscript founder Deborah Houlding also uses them.

Same with Hellenistic astrology, many are using the outer planets, like the scholar Chris Brennan.

Renowned hellenistic astrologer Demetra George uses asteroids.

P.D. Maybe John Frawley could be the exception to the rule, but traditional astrologers are using (and have been using) modern planets.

[Moved this thread from the Traditional Astrology board. - Moderator]
Some vedic astrologers also use the outers.

muchacho

What do you mean i've been here for months asking about outer planets, not to my knowledge i haven't, i use outers scarcely and have hardly ever asked about them on this forum.

Do i lack reading comprehension...i actually don't no.

Traditionalists, why you feel the need to disregard another 3 planets just because they were discovered later on, anyway is beyond me.
You can't calculate strength for the outers. Too many unanswered questions. That's why they only really work in modern western astrology where planetary strength only plays a minor role or no role at all.

muchacho

From Wikipedia:

"Like the classical planets, Uranus is visible to the naked eye, but it was never recognised as a planet by ancient observers because of its dimness and slow orbit.[18] Sir William Herschel announced its discovery on 13 March 1781, expanding the known boundaries of the Solar System for the first time in history and making Uranus the first planet discovered with a telescope."
Yes, there are some obvious holes in the naked eye theory.

Oddity

Yes, there are some obvious holes in the naked eye theory.

Not really. We're talking about a wandering star that's barely visible once in a while. Single weak fixed stars aren't used either, never were. Noticeable clouds of them are sometimes used, and comets are used.

Didn't jyotish also work that way?

david starling

Not really. We're talking about a wandering star that's barely visible once in a while. Single weak fixed stars aren't used either, never were. Noticeable clouds of them are sometimes used, and comets are used.

Didn't jyotish also work that way?

The Sun is a star that obscures all others, and the wandering stars as well. So, if you're talking about stars being "weak or strong" relative to natural vision, you're making the case for Sun-sign Astrology.

Oddity

As a rule, David, the stars, both fixed and wandering, are visible at night.

Going by your logic, one could also make a case for moon-sign astrology, I suppose. In reality, the sun is more important in a day chart, and the moon in a night chart, but neither is the sole determining factor. I guess for you it is, so sun signs are the most important thing?

If you don't like traditional astrology that's fine, you don't have to use it. I'm just trying to explain it, but rapidly coming to the conclusion that there's no point.

david starling

As a rule, David, the stars, both fixed and wandering, are visible at night.

Going by your logic, one could also make a case for moon-sign astrology, I suppose. In reality, the sun is more important in a day chart, and the moon in a night chart, but neither is the sole determining factor. I guess for you it is, so sun signs are the most important thing?

If you don't like traditional astrology that's fine, you don't have to use it. I'm just trying to explain it, but rapidly coming to the conclusion that there's no point.

It's the scorn for all things Modern-astrology has to offer I find offensive. I'm keenly aware that Traditional is at the roots of Modern, and I think it's excellent that there are those maintaining its internal integrity. I'm too enamoured with developing and testing new patterns which include the non-visible Planets to spend my limited time learning the ins and outs of Traditional. Traditionalists in this Community seem to have a "secret club" attitude, "like you're either in or you're out", and seem very loathe to reveal information on a "casual" basis--where casual means, "you're not one of us, so look it up for yourself."
This whole "visible-only" thing doesn't even matter to me. It's the valuable patterns formed by the 7 rulers/12 signs configuration that can't be maintained once you add another planet. The ancients worked with what they could see, with excellent results. Other patterns can reveal other results, without detracting from the originals.
Oddity, just to clarify, YOU made the case for Sun-sign astrology with your claim that "brighter is stronger", which, if true, would make the Sun-sign overwhelmingly powerful. I, for one, disagree that it is, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. :smile:

Oddity

David, brighter is stronger in some ways. Let there be light. The sun. That's where most of it comes from for us.

That doesn't mean it's the only star that affects us, but it does represent the light of mind, consciousness. So it's very important to everyone. But in trad, manners don't come from signs, they come from planets. And interestingly, the only planet they don't come from is the sun.

I see far more disdain for traditional astrology here than for modern. Far more. Which is why there's a forum for trad where we don't deal with modern astrology.

As to there being a secret club - no. But some of these concepts are complicated, and all of it builds on previous knowledge. So it comes down to - do I want to write 20 pages in the forum to try to explain it to you, or just refer you to a text that will do the same?

I know some people don't like to read, though I'd argue that if that's the case, astrology may not be for you. And as you said, you don't have time to test traditional techniques, you prefer to test modern ones. I'm still trying to determine how helpful a lot of the trad ones are. Not trying to be a snob. You don't have an interest in this field, other people do. That's all.

david starling

The Moon is more important than the Sun, because it shines at night when we need the light, whereas the Sun shines during the day, when we don't. :lol:

JUPITERASC

The Moon is more important than the Sun
because it shines at night
when we need the light
whereas the Sun shines during the day, when we don't.
:lol:

Without the Sun
the Moon has no light
i.e.
the Moon shines because the Sun shines :smile:
the Moon simply reflects the light of the Sun

david starling

David, brighter is stronger in some ways. Let there be light. The sun. That's where most of it comes from for us.

That doesn't mean it's the only star that affects us, but it does represent the light of mind, consciousness. So it's very important to everyone. But in trad, manners don't come from signs, they come from planets. And interestingly, the only planet they don't come from is the sun.

I see far more disdain for traditional astrology here than for modern.

First, thanks for the information concerning that Traditional information about the Sun. I do find it useful.
Second, I've been promoting a "tree-analogy" concerning Traditional and Modern, with Traditional as the roots and Modern as the branches. An attack on either is an attack on Astrology itself.