writing voice.. what is mine?

i have been learning the basics of writing, and im looking for a cheat code. plenty of websites recommend writing until finding your unique style. but in this day and age, i can find out by reading my aspects.. so my question is, what makes my communication style original?

btw, im planning a fantasy fiction novel.

Attachments

• natal chart 2.jpg
    natal chart 2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 49

Phoenix Venus

Sag Merc square virgo mars: probably can find a way to merge big ideals, grand plots into the simple details of the moment, straight up style of talk and probably humorous, too.

katydid

Mercury is in your 5th of love and excitement, in fiery Sag. Mercury in Sag is insightful, playful, philosophical, makes clear connections between tiny details and the big picture, and recognizes ‘foreshadowing’ when it occurs.

Your Mercury is in a fire sign and a fire ruled house, which is nice for the ability to build excitement and a feeling of spontaneity and enthusiasm. Your work could be felt as encouraging and inspiring in the overall tone.

Jupiter is the ruler of that mercury, and it is in Cap in the 6th. So that gives you the ability to create a solid structure in your work—which is essential for a novel if it is to be able to hang together and make sense.

The Jupiter is part of an Earth Grand Trine. So I think you could be very productive and get a lot of work product produced and possibly published.

The one ‘warning’ is from the Mars in Virgo in the 2nd, which squares your Mercury. Mars in Virgo can get too lost in the weeds. It can get swept up in details and go down the rabbit hole.

You may find yourself getting sidetracked by minor story points or subplots, which distract from the rest of the more exciting and substantial plot line.

My husband is a long time professional writer. He has a Mercury in fire and a Grand Trine as well. One thing he has learned is that he has to be able to liberally EDIT his drafts. CUT CUT AND CUT SOME MORE.

You cannot get too attached to every word or line of dialogue that you allow it to detract from the final product.

Save it and use it in your next project if you feel the need to hang on to it. Having Mars in Virgo in the 2nd may mean that you are your own worst critic. I am sure you nitpick over every word you write.

But please allow a good editor to give it a good going over and don’t be defensive. They are there to help you see it objectively.

graay ghost

As a writer I am going to tell you that there really is no "cheat code" to style. You really just have to write like a million words until you get it.

As an astrologer I am going to tell you that things that people usually associate with "communication" in writing doesn't actually hold to writing. While writing is a form of communication, in astrology it generally means more actual verbal or physical communication -- communication in real time. Because people often feel compelled to write when they are unable to communicate verbally you'll find that in a lot of writers "communication" indicators (Mercury, 3rd house, etc) are actually quite "locked up" in a way one would expect poor communication from.

katydid

thank you, friend. ive noticed that i have a direct style of writing. but also having virgo in 3rd house, Chiron in Libra and 3rd House, and Retrograde North Node in Libra and 3rd House... i couldnt interpret what those would mean when formed together, could you help me?

The Virgo in the 3rd can be very good in terms of an eye for detail. You would have a great ability to paint a vivid picture and really allow the audience to see that story unfold.

But it can also get you too caught up in detail---and you need a good editor to help you cut out extraneous stuff.

Virgo on the 3rd cusp can indicate a very clean and perfected style that is easy to read and understand. You would be thorough and straightforward.

However you might be too hard on yourself and take too much time trying to 'perfect' your work? Writer's block can come with the Chiron in the 3rd with a Virgo influence. You might question yourself or your work to the point of feeling discouraged. You need a good friend who can be a buffer.

The Chiron in the 3rd can be great for you to be able to write about the realness and hidden pain in relationships and dysfunction...:smile:

The North Node says that this is your journey---to be a writer/artist/communicator. :love:

Chillaxer

Neptune and Jupiter in Capricorn in the 6th(Daily routines, wriitng, natural house of Mercury along with 3) -

I think you have the potential for a refined, intuitive understanding of structure and ambition of a novel. Neptune and Jupiter also
have spiritual themes but I'm not sure how this would fit or if it would have to.

The presence of them in the 6th suggests you can make daily writing pleasurable rather than arduous.

With Uranus right at the start of Aquarius in the 6th, scientific themes and originality in daily writing are likely.

Saturn right at the start of Aries in the 9th, with Aries south Node in the 9th, suggests that you can acquire over time a high understanding through the self, personal experience,[and also of publishing-the Saturn suggests you will not live in cloud cuckoo land about getting published-you are a realist, and at 0 Aries you can win but not without a delay-however, the North node is the house you really aiming for] that with the North Node in Libra in the 3rd, which can be projected onto another(Libra), or the public, or the universal experience, and made tangible with details(3rd house) and not just abstractions(9th)-ie autobiographical, or semi-authobiographical writing, projected onto another or other characters.

Irvine Welsh has these nodes, albeit the signs are flipped, with Aries in the 3rd- but the projection theme still applies.
Maybe browse what he did to get a better idea of what I mean here...?

Finally I'd say the mercury in Sagittarius in the 5th is very significant, it would give the ability to be creatively risk taking and pioneering, but at the same time do the daily work on detail. It gives the potential for surreal and/or comedic writing, or just conceptually 'out there', original, creative writing. I have seen a Sag 5th house often in the greatest artistic mavericks, Dali, Miro etc, so with mercury there there it is very promising. Think the literary equivalent of these unconventional artists that broke the mould.

It's be very useful if you could produce the part of fortune on the chart as well.

I enjoyed that, interesting stuff.

wow.. i was not expecting such in-depth answers. you all blew me away. now i will have a reference to help me stay true to myself while writing my book!

the examples of other writers, brilliant. the information that you all have collected is spot on. having this encouragement and new knowledge to pursue my dreams has gave me much more confidence...

thank you all so much! :alien:

sadge

This is a straight up personal opinion....but if you need to hunt for a cheat code for writing style, then writing is probably not your thing.

I don't see it in your chart either. (But I can see why you'd be looking for a cheat code.)

Have you thought about a career in finance instead? Just a thought.

david starling

This is a straight up personal opinion....but if you need to hunt for a cheat code for writing style, then writing is probably not your thing.

I don't see it in your chart either. (But I can see why you'd be looking for a cheat code.)

Have you thought about a career in finance instead? Just a thought.

It's recounted that Alexandre Dumas, who wrote the Three Musketeers, learned to write by first deliberately copying the style of writers he admired, before finally coming up with his own style. Just a thought. Great question, for anyone considering writing a book.

katydid

I see quite a few indicators of writing talent in this chart:

North Node in 3rd sextile Asc in Leo

Mercury, ruler of the 2nd [money earned] and 3rd [writing] in the 5th in Sag

Mercury semi-sq Venus, Trine Leo/Asc, square Mars in Virgo

Moon trine Jupiter and Neptune/6th

david starling

I see quite a few indicators of writing talent in this chart:

North Node in 3rd sextile Asc in Leo

Mercury, ruler of the 2nd [money earned] and 3rd [writing] in the 5th in Sag

Mercury semi-sq Venus, Trine Leo/Asc, square Mars in Virgo

Moon trine Jupiter and Neptune/6th
If you don't mind my adding,
I consider Mars in Virgo a good placement for the harnessing of creative energy.

graay ghost

It's recounted that Alexandre Dumas, who wrote the Three Musketeers, learned to write by first deliberately copying the style of writers he admired, before finally coming up with his own style. Just a thought. Great question, for anyone considering writing a book.

That's not cheating, that's studying.

sadge

Good point, VIP David. But ya still need to find your own voice or rhythm. Otherwise you are trite and artificial.

Listen, anyone can write. And most professions will direct you on HOW to write according to its established norms, and you need to strictly adhere to those parameters. thus you really don't need much flair other than a proper elementary education. So it depends on what kind of writing you want to do. There are books about everything in every possible style.

But I don't think your life calling should be a struggle or require you to be something other than yourself. It's like dancing.... you find your rhythm and start moving....writing is the same if you know how to start riding those mercurial airwaves. (You know what I'm talking about, VIP. You know how to do the dance! And it wasn't something that could be taught.) You don't need to copy and it's not as struggle. You just do your thing. And blow them away in the process.

But....you're right. Different strokes for different folks.

So here's my revision: just keep writing until you know.

And I still haven't been provided with any natal indicators to suggest this is a glaringly obvious talent. Nodes are not planets. Third house means more than just "writing." Sagittarius mercury doesn't automatically mean writer either (that just means you're gonna get in a lot of trouble for calling out the truth, hehe).

But so you know...in your chart, I DO see that one of your "callings" in life is this process of finding your authentic voice in life. And that struggle is real. And its not just about writing. And cheating won't work for you. (You, in particular.) Lean on your Venus to guide the way.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

Let's use a straightforward example. Are you (anyone reading) aware of Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi? I wager that you are. Even if you dispute that football prowess is shown in their charts (there is a long thread on skyscript about Messi and his "Mars") it's still obvious to the blind that they are both very good and very passionate at what they do. Now, do you think they roll out of bed everyday, head straight to the field, and outclass everybody with ease? Don't be ridiculous. They practice and practice and practice and practice, then, they practice some more. They hone their technique through constant training and revisiting, and having reached a level of technical mastery coupled with natural ability, they create new ways and new "skills" that wow their team mates, competition, and the world.

So why would writing be any different? Why should it be assumed that one would have it all figured out when they first take up the pen? Writing is like any other domain in life - the more you do it, the better you become at it.

graay ghost

Good point, VIP David. But ya still need to find your own voice or rhythm. Otherwise you are trite and artificial.

Listen, anyone can write. And most professions will direct you on HOW to write according to its established norms, and you need to strictly adhere to those parameters. thus you really don't need much flair other than a proper elementary education. So it depends on what kind of writing you want to do. There are books about everything in every possible style.

But I don't think you're life calling should be a struggle or require you to be something other than yourself. It's like dancing.... you find your rhythm and start moving....writing is the same if you know how to start riding those mercurial airwaves. (You know what I'm talking about, VIP. You know how to do the dance! And it wasn't something that could be taught.) You don't need to copy and it's not as struggle. You just do your thing. And blow them away in the process.

But....you're right. Different strokes for different folks.

So here's my revision: just keep writing until you know.

And I still haven't been provided with any natal indicators to suggest this is a glaringly obvious talent. Nodes are not planets. Third house means more than just "writing." Sagittarius mercury doesn't automatically mean writer either (that just means you're gonna get in a lot of trouble for calling out the truth, hehe).

But so you know...in your chart, I DO see that one of your "callings" in life is this process of finding your authentic voice in life. And that struggle is real. And its not just about writing. And cheating won't work for you. (You, in particular.) Lean on your Venus to guide the way.

I'm not sure there are any signs that point to glaringly obvious writing talent. The thing I pointed out isn't a talent indicator, just a factor that might compel someone to write (and, with that constant draw, may eventually get good at it).

sadge

I'm not sure there are any signs that point to glaringly obvious writing talent. The thing I pointed out isn't a talent indicator, just a factor that might compel someone to write (and, with that constant draw, may eventually get good at it).

There are signs.

(Love ya, graay!)

sadge

Are you asking me out right now? C'mon, now. Really? On an astro forum?

Aw shucks. *blush*

OK. What time? Tonight? :)

(I love you, graay. You're on the Top Ten list.)

obsidianmineral

You've got to write with your emotions first and then let yourself correct whatever you've written up to that point. Don't try to check on every single word you write, you've got to let your intuition guide you even if you write some things that don't make perfect sense, and THEN correct that to improve it. Let your emotions free, that's my best advice.