Libra-Scorpio cusp and via combusta- am I doomed? please help

fairyprincess

I know very little about astrology, but I am starting to become very worried and I have searched all of the internet for information regarding my concern and have found nothing. It would be greatly appreciated if someone with more knowledge of astrology than I could help me out.

I was born on October 19th, 1991 at approximately 8:40 am. I have gathered that I am a libra/scorpio cusp. I have found that the profile and karmic goal of a scorpio has far more relevance to me than that of a libra.

again, I understand very little about astrology but some disturbing information has been bugging me and I really could use some advice now.
I know that I was born during via combusta, which is supposed to be an evil, dark, and confusing time. I have always had a sense that I am doomed. I often find that that despite my best efforts, my sucess in almost every area of my life is undermined. i feel as if i am constantly fighting. when i was younger i had frequently recurring lucid dreams about a day when the moon came extremely close to earth outside my window, signaling the apocalypse. these dreams always terrified me in an eerie way that ordinary nightmares never do. I always felt that the closeness of the moon and the ensuing chaos was somewhow my fault. I'm not saying that I am the bringer of the end of the world because I was born then.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, is it possible that because I was born during via combusta, I am doomed to be troubled and unhappy?

once again, thank you so much for any knowledge you have on this topic.

R4VEN

fairyprincess said:
I was born on October 19th, 1991 at approximately 8:40 am. I have gathered that I am a libra/scorpio cusp. I have found that the profile and karmic goal of a scorpio has far more relevance to me than that of a libra.
Birth information is not much help without a place of birth.

fairyprincess said:
I know that I was born during via combusta, which is supposed to be an evil, dark, and confusing time. I have always had a sense that I am doomed. I often find that that despite my best efforts, my sucess in almost every area of my life is undermined. i feel as if i am constantly fighting. when i was younger i had frequently recurring lucid dreams about a day when the moon came extremely close to earth outside my window, signaling the apocalypse. these dreams always terrified me in an eerie way that ordinary nightmares never do. I always felt that the closeness of the moon and the ensuing chaos was somewhow my fault. I'm not saying that I am the bringer of the end of the world because I was born then.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, is it possible that because I was born during via combusta, I am doomed to be troubled and unhappy?

I for one have never heard of `via combusta', so I have no idea what this is.

The dream you mention probably has symbolic meaning - eg. where the moon=your emotions. Perhaps you have very strong emotions. You are definitely a Libran, being born on Oct 19th, but you have both Mercury and Mars in Scorpio, so this provides quite high levels of Scorpio energy in your life.

No-one is ever `doomed' to be anything - that is, not unless they wish this to be for them. You always have free will - in everything.

Plutonian Persona

Via Combusta: "As employed by the ancients this doubtless referred to a cluster of fixed stars in the early degrees of the constellation Scorpio. A birth Moon in that arc was considered to be as afflicted as if it was in an eclipse condition: at or near one of the Nodes...an arc now centering around [11] degrees Sagittarius. A birth planet or birth Moon in that arc would thus be described "in Via Combusta"...some of the older authorities gave its location as the last half of Libra and the whole of Capricorn; others, from Libra 15 to Scorpio 15." (Devore, Encyclopedia of Astrology, p 427.)

I was born on the L-S cusp too (22 October), so I can sort of understand where you are coming from about the doom and gloom: this can be a very rough cusp to be born on. Scorpio/Pluto energy is not the easiest to work with, especially trying to combine it with Venusian energy. Look at it this way though, I'm almost 30 and it has taken me my entire life to date in order to fully understand how to positively use the massive amounts of Scorpio/Pluto energy in my chart.

You're not even 18 yet, so you have a long way to go and I won't sugar-coat it either: it's going to be a hard and difficult road until you get to your Saturn Return (around 28-29). However, I'd start looking at books dealing with Pluto (i.e. Jeff Green's Pluto and Donna Cunningham's wonderful Healing Pluto Problems.) Scorpio/Pluto energy needs conscious effort to engage its positive attributes.

It would be interesting to see what your chart actually looks like also, so please provide us with a birthplace!

waybread

Via combusta is a term in traditional astrology that refers to a planet within the first 15 degrees of Scorpio, which was seen to be misfortunate.

Modern astrologers take a different tack, and don't see any half of a sign as being more or less unfortunate than any other. A lot depends upon aspects: someone with a lot of planets in early Scorpio that are nevertheless joined by trines and sextiles is probably not going to have a crummy life off the bat.

fairyprincess, you would have been born with the sun in either Libra or Scorpio--plain and simple. If your birthday is October 19, your sun is in Libra. More to the point, your chart may show that you have other planets in Scorpio that strongly "pull" you towards that sign, or perhaps Pluto (Scorpio's planetary ruler) is very strongly placed in your chart, giving you an effect similar to having Scorpio planets.

As Astrologer50 indicated, it would be helpful if you post your chart!

katydid

Hey, I was born on that cusp as well. [10/23]

It is surely an intense area of the zodiac, but it is hardly 'doomed.'

To the original poster, I too understand your reluctance about the meaning of via combusta definitions. I remember reading about it too when I first began my studies. Now I see it as a way to affirm our abilities as transformative healers. To really go deep with someone, and try and help them see their darkness, we need to have our own deep , dark crevices as well. It takes one to know one. And then we can try and help others traverse their way through the darkness of the scorpio realms, and back to the light.

That 'darkness' is also the depth of the soul, and collective memories, and the unconscious urge to regenerate and heal thyself. It is difficult navigate those realms, but mandatory at times. :60:

Plutonian Persona said:
Via Combusta: "As employed by the ancients this doubtless referred to a cluster of fixed stars in the early degrees of the constellation Scorpio. A birth Moon in that arc was considered to be as afflicted as if it was in an eclipse condition: at or near one of the Nodes...an arc now centering around [11] degrees Sagittarius. A birth planet or birth Moon in that arc would thus be described "in Via Combusta"...some of the older authorities gave its location as the last half of Libra and the whole of Capricorn; others, from Libra 15 to Scorpio 15." (Devore, Encyclopedia of Astrology, p 427.)

I was born on the L-S cusp too (22 October), so I can sort of understand where you are coming from about the doom and gloom: this can be a very rough cusp to be born on. Scorpio/Pluto energy is not the easiest to work with, especially trying to combine it with Venusian energy. Look at it this way though, I'm almost 30 and it has taken me my entire life to date in order to fully understand how to positively use the massive amounts of Scorpio/Pluto energy in my chart.

You're not even 18 yet, so you have a long way to go and I won't sugar-coat it either: it's going to be a hard and difficult road until you get to your Saturn Return (around 28-29). However, I'd start looking at books dealing with Pluto (i.e. Jeff Green's Pluto and Donna Cunningham's wonderful Healing Pluto Problems.) Scorpio/Pluto energy needs conscious effort to engage its positive attributes.

It would be interesting to see what your chart actually looks like also, so please provide us with a birthplace!

normak

Hey, I was born on that cusp as well. [10/23]

It is surely an intense area of the zodiac, but it is hardly 'doomed.'

To the original poster, I too understand your reluctance about the meaning of via combusta definitions. I remember reading about it too when I first began my studies. Now I see it as a way to affirm our abilities as transformative healers. To really go deep with someone, and try and help them see their darkness, we need to have our own deep , dark crevices as well. It takes one to know one. And then we can try and help others traverse their way through the darkness of the scorpio realms, and back to the light.

That 'darkness' is also the depth of the soul, and collective memories, and the unconscious urge to regenerate and heal thyself. It is difficult navigate those realms, but mandatory at times. :60:

I was also concerned about this because my Moon is at 10 degrees Scorpio, which supposedly means "She is considered impedited when she is in Cadent angels, Via combusta or the burnt way, (being the last 15 degrees of Libra nd the first 15 degrees of Scoprio) which is the worst impedition that Luna can have, especially with regards to marriages, and in all matters belonging to women, selling, buying, traveling or going on a journey."

The above quote is concerning impediation of the Moon in a native's chart. You can imagine I was a bit concerned after reading it. :p

iwonder

Hmmm... I thought Via Combusta is used in horary only.

waybread said:
someone with a lot of planets in early Scorpio that are nevertheless joined by trines and sextiles is probably not going to have a crummy life off the bat.

What about progressions? My Sun recently progressed into Scorpio, and soon will be joined by Mars and Venus. Mercury rx will move out, but now is in Scorpio. So what I am experiencing can probably be called an identity crisis :bandit: Is it via combusta or any change of sign in progression brings sort of a crisis?

katydid

What about progressions? My Sun recently progressed into Scorpio, and soon will be joined by Mars and Venus. Mercury rx will move out, but now is in Scorpio. So what I am experiencing can probably be called an identity crisis :bandit: Is it via combusta or any change of sign in progression brings sort of a crisis?

I think that any change of sign by progression brings a sort of crisis, but the one from Libra to Scorpio is pretty intense because of the personal energies involved. You are going from Venus ruled Libra, into the realm of Pluto. It is like stepping from the beautiful, nectar filled gardens of Libra, down into the dark catacombs of Hades.:ninja::unsure:
You are being given the chance to delve deeper into your own motivations, hidden agendas, and sexual proclivities. :bandit::love:
You will also become a stronger, more passionate and productive person, if you throw yourself into this experience.:scorpioimg:

waybread

How are these planets aspected? Personally I think tight aspects are more important than signs and houses, although of course they all have an effect.

Welcome fairyprincess,

Think you need to start from the beginnings of studies rather than bits of info here, there and everywhere. We have good resources here and links and an Educ Forum, plus a Recommendations forum for books, programs etc.

Also, please try to remember there are all sorts of Astrologers here on AW, some Traditional who mainly use Horary with different sets of rules than natal. I'm a modern astrologer that uses Equal house system. There are two main ones, the default on astro.com of placidus and Equal. Then their are members at all sorts of different levels of expertise and opinions.

iwonder

It is like stepping from the beautiful, nectar filled gardens of Libra, down into the dark catacombs of Hades.:ninja::unsure:
:lol: Well, maybe Libra was not that nectar filled, but I am sure losing that feeling of harmony I had with the surroundings. I like the change, but it is disturbing.

waybread said:
How are these planets aspected? Personally I think tight aspects are more important than signs and houses, although of course they all have an effect.

Funny, but they are almost not aspected at all other then being a big cluster on the border of Libra and Scorpio:
Mercury rx 2'07" Sco
Sun 1'27" Sco
Venus 28'20 Lib
Mars 27'57 Lib
Uranus 28'21 Lib

They all square progressed Moon 25'16 Aquarius, but nothing in my natal chart, except semi-sextile to Sun in very late Virgo, but I don't think it is an important aspect. So it is this one big Uranus/Mars flavored transition.

dhundhun

Concepts like Via Combusta, Moon Void of Course, etc. are more relevant to horary astrology.

However Via Combusta is notorious zone. You seem to have too many stuffs (Sun, Asc, Mar, Mer) there and it could be of concern if you get too confused and/or become too erratic.

In my opinion, dreams have nothing to do with this Via Combusta. Neptune with North Node are active in 3rd house and they can cause vivid dreams.

Last edited:

goddessnadiya

I was born on October 19th, 1991

oh, bless you. you are 19 years old. I have never met a 19 year old who was not troubled and unhappy! ;)

The great thing about the scorpio vibration, I have found in youth they do deal with the darker side of life, but as they grow they start to access the higher vibration of this sign, which is transformation and evolution. Many Scorpio's, when they work with their sign consciously and focus themselves on what they desire, become truly healing people living authentic lives of self-knowledge.

You are not doomed, none of us are.

*N.

SRVzhoneybee

I was born on October 24, which makes me born in the Via Combusta too. Astrologically speaking, I'm not sure exactly what this means, but I do know that with everything I've done--ever it feels like I have to push my way through, and hardly anything ever goes right for me especially where my love life is concerned.

SRVzhoneybee

I found this a while back ago when trying to figure out what if any influence the via combusta has in my life. I can identify with what many of the others born during this time frame have posted here. Keep in mind that I am more than double your age, so of course I've had more life experiences.

http://astronuts.tribe.net/thread/e8ccdac9-e80b-4f4d-8386-d9b94a2e3435

Calipso

The official/traditional via combusta zone is from 25 Libra to 6 Scorpio, much narrower, and really applies to Sun and Moon only, and used chiefly in horary work. Biruni [who ended up refuting astrology for its unprecise ways] said:

"The combust way is the last part of Libra and the first of Scorpio. These two signs are not congenial to the Sun and the Moon on account of the obscurity and ill-luck connected with them and because each of them is the fall of one of the luminaries. They also contain the two malefics, the one by exaltation (Libra, Saturn) the other by house (Scorpio, Mars)."

Last edited: