Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Houses & cusps

Houses & cusps For discussions on houses and house cusps (i.e. planets on angles, house stelliums and so on)


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 10-25-2020, 06:35 PM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is offline
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,619
Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

A remark I saw in another thread brought up this question for me: if there's a planet in the first house, does it have a say over all areas of life, even if it's not the chart ruler?

Someone mentioned that Saturn in their first seemed to delay everything: their education, their career, entering a relationship, etc. I've tended to think of it as, the planet that rules the relevant house or is placed in it would have the most say, and planets not in or ruling a certain house (ninth for higher education, seventh for partnership, etc.) are going to be little evident if at all in that area of life. (That doesn't mean Venus has nothing to say about relationships if it's not involved in the seventh, and Sun isn't involved in some of everything, just that they won't have as strong an impact in the areas of life they're not directly involved in.)

But first house is self, and logically, would color every area of life. I don't have any first house planets myself, so I can't speak from experience on that.

For those of you who do have at least one planet in the first, do you see it coloring every area of life? Kind of as if it were ruling every house?

Edited to add: If you do not have any planets in your first house, you can't answer this question personally. Please do not post in this thread unless it's to share something you've learned from other people's personal experience with their first house planets: for example, a thread on this site about it, or your clients if you're a practicing astrologer and you've seen enough charts with first house planets to have a sense of how they play out in the clients' lives. Assertions about first house planets that are not backed up with personal experience are off topic for this thread.
__________________
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Want my input on your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.

Last edited by Osamenor; 10-25-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 10-25-2020, 06:57 PM
CapAquaPis's Avatar
CapAquaPis CapAquaPis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ...in the sidereal astrological system.
Posts: 4,349
Arrow Re: First house planet: like a chart ruler?

Not really, many people don't have a planet in their first house, I have to say the chart house sign's ruler planet (in my case, Cancer rising with the ruler, the Moon conjunct my sun in Aquarius) or the ascendant sign itself would have the biggest influence on our natal charts and in forecasting our daily horoscopes.
__________________
or , I have the same ruling planets: Uranus and Saturn. I see the Cancer rising. Aries in the MC and Venus was her name!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 10-25-2020, 07:12 PM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is offline
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,619
Re: First house planet: like a chart ruler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapAquaPis View Post
Not really, many people don't have a planet in their first house, I have to say the chart house sign's ruler planet (in my case, Cancer rising with the ruler, the Moon conjunct my sun in Aquarius) or the ascendant sign itself would have the biggest influence on our natal charts and in forecasting our daily horoscopes.
That's not addressing the question I asked. I specifically asked about planets in the first house, NOT other placements that might be equivalent, and I'm asking specifically for answers based on personal experience. Only people who have at least one planet in their first house are qualified to answer. If you have any planets in your first house, please share your experience with that.
__________________
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Want my input on your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.

Last edited by Osamenor; 10-25-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 10-25-2020, 08:01 PM
conspiracy theorist's Avatar
conspiracy theorist conspiracy theorist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: clearing
Posts: 16,592
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

I don't know how clearcut an answer I could possibly give, because depending on which of the most common methods of reading a chart one can use, I have anywhere from 2 to 5 planets in the 1st house.

Are you looking for a specific style of interpretation? I could give a more focused answer then.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to conspiracy theorist For This Useful Post:
Osamenor (10-25-2020)
  #5  
Unread 10-25-2020, 08:04 PM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is offline
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,619
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
Are you looking for a specific style of interpretation? I could give a more focused answer then.
Whatever style of interpretation works for you, as long as it has some basis in personal experience. Which of those planets do you consider to be in your first house? Do you feel they affect every area of your life? Or not? Or unsure?

If you interpret them different ways as it catches your fancy, feel free to share that, too.
__________________
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Want my input on your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 10-25-2020, 11:17 PM
conspiracy theorist's Avatar
conspiracy theorist conspiracy theorist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: clearing
Posts: 16,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
Whatever style of interpretation works for you, as long as it has some basis in personal experience. Which of those planets do you consider to be in your first house? Do you feel they affect every area of your life? Or not? Or unsure?

If you interpret them different ways as it catches your fancy, feel free to share that, too.
I guess it's not a coincidence that I am currently experiencing a 1st house LR (as of a few hours ago)

I'm fine with the various interpretive styles. I'll just shorthand some of the styles and just do a general share of how I percieve the planetary action working in my life.

Whole sign/trad7 - Sun, Mars, Merc, Jup
Whole sign/mod10 - Sun, Mars, Merc, Jup, Plu
Placidus/trad7/5° rule - Jup, Mars, Ven
Placidus/mod10/no 5°rule - Mars, Ven, Nep

To keep it simple, I'll just focus on those planets that are close to the ascendant within 5° - Mars, Jupiter, and Venus.

I would say that yes the 1st house planets do have a general effect on the life, since they have direct bearing on the common denominator that's in all my experience i.e. myself. I would say that I bring to every aspect of my life a competitive & ambitious spirit, an interest in the "sociological" aspects of various groups/people I encounter (ongoing internal cultural/social commentary), a desire for understanding/knowledge, open-mindedness, and a can-do spirit. The combo of Venus/Mars + Jupiter (1st house ruler) makes it so that I am rarely conflicted when it comes to what I desire, and the path to achieving what I want seems to be less complicated than the norm - I know how to get out of my own way, and I have a decent ability to make my actions count. This ease between desire and action is taken into all spheres of life. A sense of autonomy and "personal power" is consistent, and isn't contingent on environmental factors. I also utilise the force of will, especially when the circumstances present more challenges and setbacks. In these various descriptions one could see the relevance of Jupiter, Mars or Venus, or a combination of those energies.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conspiracy theorist For This Useful Post:
Osamenor (10-26-2020), StillOne (10-31-2020)
  #7  
Unread 10-26-2020, 01:33 AM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is offline
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,619
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

CT, thanks for sharing!

I find it very interesting that not only do you feel your first house planets affect every area of your life, you attribute that entirely to what you do with those planets. Not to the planets acting on you, outside your control. A first house thing, too, perhaps?

Happy lunar return!
__________________
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Want my input on your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 10-31-2020, 03:20 AM
conspiracy theorist's Avatar
conspiracy theorist conspiracy theorist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: clearing
Posts: 16,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
CT, thanks for sharing!

I find it very interesting that not only do you feel your first house planets affect every area of your life, you attribute that entirely to what you do with those planets. Not to the planets acting on you, outside your control. A first house thing, too, perhaps?

Happy lunar return!
Why, thanks Osa, although I wouldn't describe the current LR as "happy". A surprise announcement, and the intensity of events heightening seems to be what this month portends. The next LR, as well as the SR that comes a week later from that have Uranus closely conjunct the angles - telling to the astrologically literate.

The subjective feeling that "it's all in my hands" also might have to do with the fact that all the planets in my chart fall on the left side, as well as Jupiter being the final dispositor. As a supposedly fortunate Sagittarius, making my own luck has been the standard throughout my life. The self-driving has been a catalyst for others to get in gear, which I'd say is a definite plus.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 10-26-2020, 02:15 AM
Starr22 Starr22 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 13
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

I have 5 planets in my first house so answering this question is very difficult. Sun, Mercury, Venus, Uranus, and Neptune With Neptune and Venus conjunct my ascendent and the south node.
I feel the presence of all of these forces in my life and who I am. I would say each planet brings another talent or touch. Some misfortunes as well, like Neptune.
Previous comment mentioned a sense of personal power, and I agree with this. I’ve always had a strong sense of inner strength, and I find power through each planet. It has been hard to pinpoint my identity.
If you have any questions about how this has impacted my life feel free to ask (:

Last edited by Starr22; 10-26-2020 at 02:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starr22 For This Useful Post:
Osamenor (10-26-2020)
  #10  
Unread 10-26-2020, 04:30 AM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 17,910
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

I have Neptune in Libra in the first house in most quadrant house systems (late degree of Virgo rising.)

I don't think it affects every aspect of my life.

With the example you gave of someone feeling Saturn affected most things in her life, I wonder how Saturn is aspected, or what Saturn rules as house cusp lord. There's probably more going on.

With people with a first house stellium, this effect would be even more so: the lords of many house cusps would refer back to the first house.

I think Neptune in the first house can confer a fruitless lifelong identity quest. Not necessarily a severe crisis, just the feeling that-- because you can't tell how others perceive you-- you aren't sure who you are, yourself.

Consequently, in person, I am often a people-pleaser, trying to put on the persona I think the people I encounter want to see. You wouldn't know it from my posts on this forum, however, because the first house doesn't show up clearly when on-line.

Neptune in the first house has an illusory quality. Sometimes in a big gathering where I didn't know many people, I would feel like the invisible disappearing woman. I've been told I am really nice. At other times, I've been told I am "pushy" or even "threatening" to men. Well, which am I?

Ca. 1990, I entered a Dark Night of the Soul, which led to a long identity quest through astrology. I never did learn why I was on the planet, but in the process of trying to find out, I learned a lot of astrology, which subsequently became helpful in reading charts for other people. One day it occurred to me, that with Neptune in the first house, I was probably never going to find out who I am. Just when I think I've got something solid, Neptune dissolves it or moves the goal posts.

Neptune's mantra is "Not that! Not that!"

Neptune is not badly aspected in my chart, thankfully; so I think it can contribute to a rich imagination.

I still don't know how I am, but am no longer so much concerned with it.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.

Last edited by waybread; 10-26-2020 at 04:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to waybread For This Useful Post:
Osamenor (10-26-2020)
  #11  
Unread 10-26-2020, 05:56 AM
MoonlightSonata's Avatar
MoonlightSonata MoonlightSonata is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 99
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

My first house was empty until my progressed Uranus decided to take up residence there.

Would I say it's running the show now? No. Does it have an obvious hand in the way I approach people and things, and has it affected other areas of my life now? Absolutely!

Last edited by MoonlightSonata; 10-26-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 10-26-2020, 05:53 PM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is offline
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,619
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightSonata View Post
My first house was empty until my progressed Uranus decided to take up residence there.

Would I say it's running the show now? No. Does it have an obvious hand in the way I approach people and things, and has it affected other areas of my life now? Absolutely!
Do you mean secondary progression or solar arc progression?

If you're talking about secondary progressed Uranus, the only way it could have entered your first house during your lifetime is if it's at your ascendant in your natal chart. That arguably makes it a first house planet to begin with, even if it's on the twelfth house side.
__________________
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Want my input on your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 10-27-2020, 09:44 AM
MoonlightSonata's Avatar
MoonlightSonata MoonlightSonata is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 99
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
Do you mean secondary progression or solar arc progression?

If you're talking about secondary progressed Uranus, the only way it could have entered your first house during your lifetime is if it's at your ascendant in your natal chart. That arguably makes it a first house planet to begin with, even if it's on the twelfth house side.
Secondary. Uranus is in my first house now and my third house in my natal chart unless I use the whole house system or perhaps some other house system that moves it into another house. (Not that you asked, but I've been using Placidus to study charts.)

How did you come to that conclusion about Uranus being in my 12th or close to my ascendant?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 10-26-2020, 05:04 PM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is offline
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,619
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
With the example you gave of someone feeling Saturn affected most things in her life, I wonder how Saturn is aspected, or what Saturn rules as house cusp lord. There's probably more going on.
In that case, Saturn did not rule the seventh, ninth, or tenth house, and did not have the kind of aspects that would make me expect delay in all those areas. Maybe an aspect to one or two of the planets I would expect to be involved (rulers for those houses, Venus, Jupiter, etc.), but not to all of them, which was why I was surprised there was so much delay.

I wonder if your Neptune experience, or lack of it, has to do with Neptune not being in your first house whole sign, and/or not being that close to the ascendant. Do you think it has much effect on second house things for you? Or can you tell? (Never can tell with elusive, shadowy Neptune, really!)
__________________
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Want my input on your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 10-26-2020, 09:01 PM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 17,910
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
In that case, Saturn did not rule the seventh, ninth, or tenth house, and did not have the kind of aspects that would make me expect delay in all those areas. Maybe an aspect to one or two of the planets I would expect to be involved (rulers for those houses, Venus, Jupiter, etc.), but not to all of them, which was why I was surprised there was so much delay.

I wonder if your Neptune experience, or lack of it, has to do with Neptune not being in your first house whole sign, and/or not being that close to the ascendant. Do you think it has much effect on second house things for you? Or can you tell? (Never can tell with elusive, shadowy Neptune, really!)
I'm not sure Saturn would be the only indicator of delay. By transit, sure; but I think it would play out differently in the natal.

I sometimes use whole signs, as I think they have interpretive value, but normally Placidus seems like a good fit.

Generally in life, my money and "stuff" have worked out reasonably well (knock on wood.) I would anticipate more problems with money if Neptune were in the second, as it squares Jupiter (5 degree orb) and this is an aspect of "biting off more than one can chew," or "if a little is good, a lot is better." I would probably do more over-spending with the optimistic belief that "something will turn up." With Neptune in the first, during my working life I definitely tried to take on too much, sometimes imagining that my skill set and experience was greater than it was.

Regardless, a second house Libra cusp would put me in a Venus loop, and my Aquarian Venus makes a wide trine to Neptune (7 degrees.)

I think looking at aspects would be important if a first house planet seems to dominate someone's life to a major extent.

Some astrologers believe that the hardest, closest aspect in a chart is the major theme in a person's life. In my case that would be Saturn and Pluto opposite sun. They're both wide, but the opposite midpoint is pretty close to exact. They've been much more to deal with than Neptune, in my experience.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to waybread For This Useful Post:
Osamenor (10-26-2020)
  #16  
Unread 10-27-2020, 12:27 AM
Lin Lin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,333
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Whether or not this actually answers your question, I must say that the ASC sign and the planets in the first house ''affect'' for lack of a better word, one's ''personality'' as all the angular houses represent both identity and personality in some way.

So you will project your entire first house (the ASC and planets close to the ASC) thru your personality. Indefinitely.

However: two things: actually three things.....first: the progressed Moon will at one time or another enter your first house....after conjuncting your ASC. It will make a lot of aspects as it progresses this house. Next: Transits....the heavier the planet, the longer it lasts in the first house, the more it ''modifies'' the personality and all first house subjects. Three: the ASC itself progresses.....so THIS will eventually change or
''modify'' one's personality and therefore the way you perceive the world and the way the world sees you.

Change is always happening. So the answer is both YES and NO....it is always your ASC and a planet near it will always be part of who you are (identity) and the way you naturally interact with the world....and NO....because it is always modifying as you grow older and hopefully wiser and more conscious.

The ASC is the ''mirror''. When you can see yourself clearly you will understand how you interact with the outside world. But that doesn't mean you can ''consciously'' change your instinctive reactions! Ironic, huh?

More ironic is that your authentic ''self'' and your ASC personality identity may or may not be, in themselves, compatible!!

LIN
__________________


"The universe does not care if it inconveniences you."

Last edited by Lin; 10-27-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 10-26-2020, 06:14 PM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is offline
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,619
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr22 View Post
I have 5 planets in my first house so answering this question is very difficult. Sun, Mercury, Venus, Uranus, and Neptune With Neptune and Venus conjunct my ascendent and the south node.
I feel the presence of all of these forces in my life and who I am. I would say each planet brings another talent or touch. Some misfortunes as well, like Neptune.
Previous comment mentioned a sense of personal power, and I agree with this. I’ve always had a strong sense of inner strength, and I find power through each planet. It has been hard to pinpoint my identity.
If you have any questions about how this has impacted my life feel free to ask (:
Obviously, these planets are at play in your first house topics! Do you feel they also have a strong affect on other areas of your life--relationships, career, home, education, etc--even if they don't rule the pertinent houses?
__________________
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Want my input on your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 10-27-2020, 01:05 AM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is offline
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,619
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Whether or not this actually answers your question, I must say that the ASC sign and the planets in the first house ''affect'' for lack of a better word, one's ''personality'' as all the angular houses represent both identity and personality in some way.

So you will project your entire first house (the ASC and planets close to the ASC) thru your personality. Indefinitely.

However: two things: actually three things.....first: the progressed Moon will at one time or another enter your first house....after conjuncting your ASC. It will make a lot of aspects as it progresses this house. Next: Transits....the heavier the planet, the longer it lasts in the first house, the more it ''modifies'' the personality and all first house subjects. Three: the ASC itself progresses.....so THIS will eventually change or
''modify'' one's personality and therefore the way you perceive the world and the way the world sees you.

Change is always happening. So the answer is both YES and NO....it is always your ASC and a planet near it will always be part of who you are (identity) and the way you naturally interact with the world....and NO....because it is always modifying as you grow older and hopefully wiser and more conscious.

The ASC is the ''mirror''. When you can see yourself clearly you will understand how you interact with the outside world. But that doesn't mean you can ''consciously'' change your instinctive reactions! Ironic, huh?

More ironic is that your authentic ''self'' and your ASC personality identity may or may not be, in themselves, compatible!!

LIN
Lin, what personal experience are you basing this on? Remember:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
Assertions about first house planets that are not backed up with personal experience are off topic for this thread.
__________________
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Want my input on your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 10-27-2020, 02:02 AM
david starling david starling is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 33,663
Smile Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

I can see where having my Merc/Mars Conjunction in Placidus H12 described my first 21 years. But, upon the death of my very protective father, that no longer worked for me. I now can only describe my personality using Whole-sign Houses, which moves them into H1, apropos to my having had to take personal charge of my own life. It was a very rough transition, and took about a year to complete.

Last edited by david starling; 10-27-2020 at 02:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
Osamenor (10-27-2020)
  #20  
Unread 10-27-2020, 04:14 AM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 17,910
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Osamenor, I just recalled that in whole signs houses, my Libra Neptune would move to the second house, but then my Virgo Saturn would move from the 12th into the first house.

It would be interesting to learn, with your project, whether the house system makes a difference in how a first house planet operates.

My Placidus and whole signs charts are very different, due to a late degree of Virgo rising. For one thing, my Aquarian sun, Mercury, and Venus move from the 5th to the 6th house.

If I play it the whole signs way, Saturn has affected my physical appearance. As you know, Saturn rules the hard tissues of the body, like bones and teeth. As a kid, every adult tooth in my mouth came in crooked, so I wore serious orthodontics for about 6 years. Then all four wisdom teeth were impacted.

I've had round shoulders and poor posture most of my life. Somehow standing up strait, shoulders back, &c, just never seemed natural. (I think this ran in my family, however, as my dad and brother were the same way; but not my mother or sister.)

I've had osteoarthritis for many years.

I think many aspects of my personality are Saturnine; but this might also be due to Saturn opposite my Aqua sun and Pisces Mars. Natally Saturn opposite sun is wide (10 degrees) and out-of-sign, but a sun opposite Saturn is always retrograde. By progression, Saturn is now in late Leo, so definitely opposite sun at this stage of life.

Due to my age (71) and concern over whether I've really contributed enough to other people during my life, Saturn has become more of a constant nagging voice in the back of my head. ("Do more for others! Do it better!") As the 6th house symbolizes the principle of service, this might be an argument for whole signs.

Maybe there's a stronger case to be made for Saturn as a first house planet running many aspects of my life. But I view Saturn as my wisest teacher.

I read somewhere that Saturn tends to reward his pupils later in life. All things considered, I think that's true.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W's close-enough chart 3.jpg (44.8 KB, 9 views)
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 10-27-2020, 09:40 PM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is offline
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,619
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
It would be interesting to learn, with your project, whether the house system makes a difference in how a first house planet operates.
Or the sign placement, at any rate. If it's in the same sign as the ascendant, is that different from first house but different sign? Would the difference disappear if, say, the ascendant is at 29 degrees of its sign and the first house planet is at degree 0 of the next--conjunct the ascendant but out of sign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
If I play it the whole signs way, Saturn has affected my physical appearance. As you know, Saturn rules the hard tissues of the body, like bones and teeth. As a kid, every adult tooth in my mouth came in crooked, so I wore serious orthodontics for about 6 years. Then all four wisdom teeth were impacted.

I've had round shoulders and poor posture most of my life. Somehow standing up strait, shoulders back, &c, just never seemed natural. (I think this ran in my family, however, as my dad and brother were the same way; but not my mother or sister.)

I've had osteoarthritis for many years.
If that's a Saturn in the first effect, it must be even stronger than Saturn as ascendant ruler! I have Capricorn rising, and I've never had any of those problems except impacted wisdom teeth. As a child, I had some inability to stand up straight, but that was due to dyspraxia, not bones. I don't have Saturn in the first, though.

And if you've got Saturn in the 12th house Placidus, that's its house of joy. Strengthening factor.
__________________
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Want my input on your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 10-28-2020, 03:24 AM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 17,910
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
Or the sign placement, at any rate. If it's in the same sign as the ascendant, is that different from first house but different sign? Would the difference disappear if, say, the ascendant is at 29 degrees of its sign and the first house planet is at degree 0 of the next--conjunct the ascendant but out of sign?


If that's a Saturn in the first effect, it must be even stronger than Saturn as ascendant ruler! I have Capricorn rising, and I've never had any of those problems except impacted wisdom teeth. As a child, I had some inability to stand up straight, but that was due to dyspraxia, not bones. I don't have Saturn in the first, though.

And if you've got Saturn in the 12th house Placidus, that's its house of joy. Strengthening factor.
In a natal chart reading, I pay attention to house cusp rulers.

I've seen two good but different interpretations.

Karen Hamaker-Zondag: "The house over which a planet rules serves the purposes of the house in which that planet stands."

Demetra George: The house cusp ruler wants to help out the affairs of that house. Whether it can do so well or poorly depends upon how it is situated.

Especially looking at George's interpretation, we could imagine a poorly placed first house ruler being much less effective than a well-placed first house tenant. For example, in Placidus someone with Cancer rising might have the moon in detriment in Capricorn in the 7th house, but a domiciled sun in Leo in the first house. Conversely, in whole signs, someone with Taurus rising might have a debilitated Mars in the first, and Venus off in the 3rd house with no essential dignity.

I think both whole signs and one's favorite quadrant system have merit, even where they give dramatically different results, as they are apt to do with a late degree rising. It's like a snapshot of a person will look different as a frontal portrait, vs. as a profile.

Same person, different perspectives.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.

Last edited by waybread; 10-28-2020 at 03:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 10-27-2020, 09:44 PM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is offline
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,619
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
I can see where having my Merc/Mars Conjunction in Placidus H12 described my first 21 years. But, upon the death of my very protective father, that no longer worked for me. I now can only describe my personality using Whole-sign Houses, which moves them into H1, apropos to my having had to take personal charge of my own life. It was a very rough transition, and took about a year to complete.
It seems to me that if a planet is in the twelfth house but the same sign as the ascendant, it's something to bring into consciousness and into the real world over the course of a lifetime. Was this conjunction operating out of sight until you were 21, and then became much more tangible for you?

I once read for someone who had a twelfth house stellium in the same sign as her ascendant, and she felt her life was very much about bringing the unknown to light.
__________________
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Want my input on your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 10-27-2020, 10:08 PM
david starling david starling is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 33,663
Smile Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
It seems to me that if a planet is in the twelfth house but the same sign as the ascendant, it's something to bring into consciousness and into the real world over the course of a lifetime. Was this conjunction operating out of sight until you were 21, and then became much more tangible for you?

I once read for someone who had a twelfth house stellium in the same sign as her ascendant, and she felt her life was very much about bringing the unknown to light.
Good chance to ask your view concerning Yods. My Mercury/Mars Conjunction in Pisces rising above my Piscean Asc is 2 degrees apart, with a Yod base at Neptune and Pluto 1 degree difference, pointing right at the center of the Merc/Mars conj.
This might have focused my attention on the Conjunction. But I was definitely more twelfth house before I was 21, in addition to a Moon/Venus conj in Aqua, which stays in H12 regardless of house system.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 10-28-2020, 05:16 PM
leomoon's Avatar
leomoon leomoon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,737
Re: Do first house planets affect every area of life? Personal experiences, please!

Using Placidius which is my preference, I have Saturn in the 1st house around 14-15 degrees away from the Ascendant. I had to grow up rather quickly, although not emotionally nor intellectually, rather in a practical sense because of sexual abuse in my midst.

I started working early on, as soon as I turned 16 and quit school, for which I still have no regret as I was forced to be self-taught and the type of mind I have doesn't linger long on just one subject alone. Its hard to explain other then to say that the Sidereal chart gives me Gemini Rising rather then Cancer rising..for the mentality. My interests intellectually speaking, ran the gamut in other words although when I find something that moves me emotionally I will study that subject ad-infinitum.


I think that Saturn has been not only my Sun's ruler (Sun-Mer-Mars) all in the 6th house but Saturn trine Venus and the MC among other sextile and trines to heavenly bodies, keeps me rather well grounded all in all. Others see me as older, especially when I was young. I recall my grandmother who knew me rather well saying to me, "I don't know how you'd fare as a mother, because you never played with dolls very much". So I have a rather serious demeanor most of the time through all ages.



My Venus helps me to get out of the doldrums however, and keeps me very socially interested (Venus in Sag 5th hs.) trine Saturn.


I noticed my husband of nearly 50 years has Jupiter in the 1st house exactly opposed to Algol in the 7th thus his life has been rather consistent with being disappointed by other people whether in business when younger, or even when older both in business, family and otherwise. Algol was the key for me to understand why his life has been this way even with his MC cj.Regulus and POF 3Virgo square both Jupiter and the NN.


I see Saturn (in my case 1st house) and Jupiter (in his case 1st house and afflicted) as both being connected strongly to our choice to have our karma be done with, once and for all, as long as we don't ***** up again in this lifetime, neither of us likely will be back. Adios!
__________________
Author of Kindle eBooks on Astrology, fixed stars and critical degrees. PM me for details...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leomoon For This Useful Post:
Osamenor (10-28-2020)
Reply

Tags
affect, area, chart, experiences, house, life, personal, planet, planets, ruler

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.