Aunt on Facebook

Dirius

"Sadly, [fill in the blank] did such a poor job as president there won't be another white president again for generations".

In other words, what's Obama's race got to do with it?

It was Obama's campaign and supporters that used the color of his skin as a political tool ("first black president").

Reflecting sadness at the fact that Obama's poor performance as a president may reflect on the color of his skin isn't racist.

Was it an innapropiate tweet? Oh of course it was.
Racist? nah.

Dirius

Look, Trump knows better than to go on social media and say anything overtly racist. The charge is that he appeals to known racists.

Or maybe he just doesn't base his campaign on identity politics, like the democrats do.

Unlike Biden who very openly bullies black people into voting for him :wink:

PS: this is getting out of hand and diverting the main topic of the post.

david starling

Or maybe he just doesn't base his campaign on identity politics, like the democrats do.

Unlike Biden who very openly bullies black people into voting for him :wink:

That's why I want to know if Osa's aunt is a known Trump supporter. I've learned not to say anything against Trump's policies to a real Trump supporter, especially family members.

Osamenor

Staff member
I think that isn't the case. Lots of white people have been against racism and slavery, from the early days of your country.

It's complicated. Not all white people think alike, of course. And the early days you mention come later than the construction of whiteness. That started in Virginia colony, pre-Revolution, with laws classifying indentured servants and slaves. White servants were on contract with an end date. Slaves were slaves for life. Skin color was the main difference. The laws were passed in response to Bacon's Rebellion, which saw white indentured servants and black slaves joining forces in a revolt. That was too big a threat to the master class.

It is true that there were white people against slavery the whole time it existed, and white people opposing all the later forms of racism. But what hasn't changed is that we still have the racial classifications of white, black, etc., and major systemic racism. Which we're all caught up in even if we have no desire to be personally racist.

Osamenor

Staff member
That's why I want to know if Osa's aunt is a known Trump supporter. I've learned not to say anything against Trump's policies to a real Trump supporter, especially family members.

I don't know. She hasn't posted anything about him, one way or another, and I haven't been in contact with her lately otherwise.

Osamenor

Staff member

Thanks you for that, Dirius. Yes, this is diverting the main topic of the post. If y'all get back on topic, I'll leave it at that. If you don't, it's time to start another thread.

Dirius

It's complicated. Not all white people think alike, of course. And the early days you mention come later than the construction of whiteness. That started in Virginia colony, pre-Revolution, with laws classifying indentured servants and slaves. White servants were on contract with an end date. Slaves were slaves for life. Skin color was the main difference. The laws were passed in response to Bacon's Rebellion, which saw white indentured servants and black slaves joining forces in a revolt. That was too big a threat to the master class.

It is true that there were white people against slavery the whole time it existed, and white people opposing all the later forms of racism. But what hasn't changed is that we still have the racial classifications of white, black, etc., and major systemic racism. Which we're all caught up in even if we have no desire to be personally racist.

True. But let me point out something very interesting:

We are talking about the 1700's perhaps even earlier. At a time slavery was common around the world.

Africans owned other africans or whites as slaves.
Asians owned other asians as slaves.
Arabs owned african, asian and white slaves.

Europeans owned everyone as slaves.
Even natives to the american continent, owned slaves.
(for example the Aztecs, owned slaves).

The original african slaves which were brought to the colonies, were already enslaved in Africa: most of them captured soldiers from tribal wars. They were not "hunted in the jungle" like movies like to portrait. In fact the "slave trade" began with African tribe-leaders enslaving other africans, and selling them to europeans in exchange for weaponry.

The truth of slavery is that it is colorblind.
----
----
----

But fun fact: which was the first culture or ethncity which stopped having slaves?

European christians.

Why is it that when we talk about slavery we remove the historical context from it? And we also blame white people for the horrors of the world, when in truth they were the only culture which fought slavery?

Last edited:

Dirius

Dirius, I didn't say it wasn't complicated!

I know. But I'm not sure if it is that complicated.

Slavery existed in the world for thousands of years. Xenophobia does exist.

But in modern society? mostly isolated cases. And slavery ended, thanks mostly to ... white people.

And I think we are now going rampart on what "racism" actually is. Lot of things are considered "racist" now, which were not 10 years ago.

We also can't expect everyone to immediatly adapt, just because young people want them to.

edit: I'm trying to stay on-topic, although its difficult because each subject is very related.

Last edited:

david starling

aquarius7000

Is this thread about BLM? :unsure:
In all fairness, it is not completely disconnected either, though one should also not go to the other extreme of derailing the thread.

There is mention about auntie being "racist" in the initial post, and, most racism does sort of include people of colour, and, right now, since BLM is hot topic wise, it might get pulled into such discussions. :sad:

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
In all fairness, it is not completely disconnected either, though one should not also not go to the other extreme of derailing the thread.

There is mention about auntie being "racist" in the initial post, and, most racism does sort of include people of colour, and, right now, since BLM is hot topic wise, it might get pulled into such discussions. :sad:

And to be fair, I mentioned Black Lives Matter. I actually meant the slogan, not specifically the org or movement that bears its name, but you really can't talk about one without the other, so it's not unreasonable to bring it up.

Osamenor

Staff member
We also can't expect everyone to immediatly adapt, just because young people want them to.

That's it exactly. The whole black lives matter conversation, and movement, and everything going with it is asking people to adapt. Especially those who've managed to skate on race privilege and never think about it. It's hardest for (white) people who've never been made much aware of race privilege, let alone asked to confront it, before.

Luckily for me, I grew up with a racially mixed peer group, a family that welcomed people as friends no matter what race they were, and a mother who started talking to me about racial issues when I was 5. Exactly what the experts say it takes to raise a white child to be as non-racist as possible. But lots of white kids don't grow up that way. Including plenty of my extended family.