OK, so Mercury conjunct Uranus is a "genius" aspect.

MoonlightSonata

I have this aspect. And while I know I'm not a mouth breather, and I have my own intellectual gifts, I don't think I'm going to be a Jeopardy champion anytime soon. But I suppose I could get closer to being one or actually succeed at becoming one if I set my mind to it.

So how's this aspect working out for those of you who also have it?

Last edited:

waybread

I've not heard of this being a "genius aspect."

If well situated in the chart, it might encourage original thinking, even break-through thinking in some area, as indicated by sign and house. If poorly situated, Mercury conjunct Uranus might simply lead to erratic or eccentric thinking.

I don't have this aspect, although I do have Mercury in Aquarius and Uranus in Gemini in mutual reception.

I like it.

conspiracy theorist

The Western Siderealist take on the aspect shows up on this page. Gives more specific information than "genius"; do you agree with what is said?

https://www.solunars.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=182#p1213

MoonlightSonata

If well situated in the chart, it might encourage original thinking, even break-through thinking in some area, as indicated by sign and house. If poorly situated, Mercury conjunct Uranus might simply lead to erratic or eccentric thinking.

I don't have this aspect, although I do have Mercury in Aquarius and Uranus in Gemini in mutual reception.

I like it.

For the most part, Mercury and Uranus are pretty happy in my chart. And I definitely challenge the status quo with what may be considered eccentric or erratic thinking. I like to believe that not only helps me be an independent thinker but also helps me grasp some concepts pretty quickly, so maybe that's a form of genius. I don't know.

What I do know is I wasn't an excellent student unless I applied myself. And I did. But it wasn't like I was playing Tchaikovsky, grandmaster level chess or speaking multiple languages at age five - things that scream "child prodigy" or "genius."

Last edited:

waybread

Intelligence would be a different measure in a horoscope. Look for Mercury domiciled in Gemini or Virgo, for example. However, Mercury placements of geniuses turn out to show up in a lot of different signs.

Although Neptune-Mercury and Neptune-sun connections can indicate misguided, unrealistic thinking, when well-aspected they can indicate a visionary.

Ukpoohbear

Intelligence would be a different measure in a horoscope. Look for Mercury domiciled in Gemini or Virgo, for example. However, Mercury placements of geniuses turn out to show up in a lot of different signs.

Although Neptune-Mercury and Neptune-sun connections can indicate misguided, unrealistic thinking, when well-aspected they can indicate a visionary.

What do you think of the notion that planets in fall or detriment have to work harder? An exalted planet is ‘lazy.’

Also, what do you think of as squares becoming an asset through time and experience?

JUPITERASC

I have this aspect. And while I know I'm not a mouth breather,
and I have my own intellectual gifts,
I don't think I'm going to be a Jeopardy champion anytime soon.
But I suppose I could get closer to being one

or actually succeed at becoming one
if I set my mind to it.

Mercury is the smallest and innermost planet in the Solar System.
Its orbit around the Sun takes 87.97 days :smile:
the shortest of orbits amongst all the planets in the Solar System
and

Mercury conjuncts each planet a minimum of four times yearly
when one includes retrogrades, the number increases
to potentially twelve

thus
approximately one and a half MILLION PEOPLE A YEAR
share the same aspect you mention with you
AND FURTHERMORE

when one includes retrogrades
then
potentially four and a half million others worldwide
share the same Mercury aspect you mention

which is why
The entire chart requires consideration
isolating one aspect and ignoring all other aspects
leads to unreliable generalisation

If interested
take an IQ test
however
keep in mind that intelligence has multiple forms :smile:

MoonlightSonata

Mercury is the smallest and innermost planet in the Solar System.
Its orbit around the Sun takes 87.97 days :smile:
the shortest of orbits amongst all the planets in the Solar System
and

Mercury conjuncts each planet a minimum of four times yearly
when one includes retrogrades, the number increases
to potentially twelve

thus
approximately one and a half MILLION PEOPLE A YEAR
share the same aspect you mention with you
AND FURTHERMORE

when one includes retrogrades
then
potentially four and a half million others worldwide
share the same Mercury aspect you mention

which is why
The entire chart requires consideration
isolating one aspect and ignoring all other aspects
leads to unreliable generalisation

If interested
take an IQ test
however
keep in mind that intelligence has multiple forms :smile:

Thanks. You're right about looking at the whole chart.

I singled out Mercury and Uranus because, first and foremost, I'm still learning about aspects, and I find it interesting how some interpretations (e.g., this "genius" conjunction) can give us big heads or make us feel insecure if we allow them to.

waybread

What do you think of the notion that planets in fall or detriment have to work harder? An exalted planet is ‘lazy.’

I think this is an interesting idea that doesn't play out in practice. Can you give an example of a person's horoscope where this seems to be the case?

Also, what do you think of as squares becoming an asset through time and experience?

I think this does happen if the person works hard to make them so. Meaning, the person doesn't stay in a rut of blaming their parents or society for being unfair to them, but takes responsibility for their own life.

Ukpoohbear

I think this is an interesting idea that doesn't play out in practice. Can you give an example of a person's horoscope where this seems to be the case?

That I can easily remember, Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe both had Venus in Aries but were known for their beauty.

I think this does happen if the person works hard to make them so. Meaning, the person doesn't stay in a rut of blaming their parents or society for being unfair to them, but takes responsibility for their own life.

Do you think with oppositions the person does not get that chance, it is back and forth?

Even though a person with trines and sextiles may have easier energy, do you think they lack character and skills that an easy chart will not have?

Last edited:

waybread

That I can easily remember, Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe both had Venus in Aries but were known for their beauty.

Do you think with oppositions the person does not get that chance, it is back and forth?

Even though a person with trines and sextiles may have easier energy, do you think they lack character and skills that an easy chart will not have?

I don't think either of these actresses was lazy. Acting is not an easy profession. Think of memorizing all those lines, and having to portray various emotions that one might not personally feel at the time.

I do think that hard aspects can build character, but it's not automatic. The person has to choose to make it so, vs. blaming the universe for their misfortunes.

Ukpoohbear

I don't think either of these actresses was lazy. Acting is not an easy profession. Think of memorizing all those lines, and having to portray various emotions that one might not personally feel at the time.

I do think that hard aspects can build character, but it's not automatic. The person has to choose to make it so, vs. blaming the universe for their misfortunes.

I think you misunderstood me. I did not talk about a person being lazy, I was talking about the planet. Venus in Aries will work harder at its beauty, for eg.

waybread

I wouldn't see it that way. Venus in Aries may not even be interested in beauty.

In a woman's chart Venus supposedly indicates her sense of her femininity, but in Aries, it may express itself more like a "Who cares?" independence, or enjoying playing on a women's soccer team.

I have Venus conjunct Mercury in Aquarius, and could never pull off a super feminine persona. Nor did I want to. I like to see people as people, without a big gender overlay.

Therese

I have this aspect. And while I know I'm not a mouth breather, and I have my own intellectual gifts, I don't think I'm going to be a Jeopardy champion anytime soon. But I suppose I could get closer to being one or actually succeed at becoming one if I set my mind to it.

I think "abrupt" is a good keyword with Uranus. With a Mercury contact, we can talk about flashes of insight, intuition and/or inspiration, unexpected shifts in perspective... But also drawing blank, shock, trauma, sudden breakdowns of communication... The mind tends to have moments or periods of atypical functioning - it depends very much on what is going on in the whole chart. Neither Uranus nor Mercury are stable planets, so their contact is not an "asset" the native can rely on. Inspiration comes or it doesn't. Shock happens.

I have Mercury conjunct Uranus. I also have Moon conjunct Saturn. Now am I eccentric, unorthodox and unpredictable or down-to-earth, conservative and reliable? :)

Bunraku

I like it.

I agree. People here seem to think that these people known for their ideas just came up with their works from thin air. Taking the Uranus thing too far.

In reality the work of great scientists and philosophers required a lot of thought and dedication to prove and argue their theories convincingly/successfully. These things takes many years of blood, sweat, and tears.

Waybread, I'm sure you know what it's like to be, as an academic. People spend years writing their dissertation. It's a very anxious, busy, and exciting time.

MoonlightSonata

I think "abrupt" is a good keyword with Uranus. With a Mercury contact, we can talk about flashes of insight, intuition and/or inspiration, unexpected shifts in perspective... But also drawing blank, shock, trauma, sudden breakdowns of communication... The mind tends to have moments or periods of atypical functioning - it depends very much on what is going on in the whole chart. Neither Uranus nor Mercury are stable planets, so their contact is not an "asset" the native can rely on. Inspiration comes or it doesn't. Shock happens.

I have Mercury conjunct Uranus. I also have Moon conjunct Saturn. Now am I eccentric, unorthodox and unpredictable or down-to-earth, conservative and reliable? :)

Is Saturn being a schoolmarm to your Mercury or Uranus via aspects? If so, I would venture to say you're more predictable and reserved due to your Moon-Saturn conjunction (controlled emotions?) than you would be without Saturn's intervening.

I think my Mercury-Pluto conjunction helps stabilize my erratic/oddball Mercury-Uranian mental energy to some extent. Unfortunately, when something piques my interest, I can easily get all OCD about it. And I really have to bite my tongue rather than say something in anger to someone I care about since Pluto is the destroyer and Mercury is its weapon of choice. I think those are the trade offs.

By the way, "shock happens" is so meta as millennials say. I'm so tempted to use it as a favorite quote. :)

Last edited:

Therese

Is Saturn being a schoolmarm to your Mercury or Uranus via aspects? If so, I would venture to say you're more predictable and reserved due to your Moon-Saturn conjunction (controlled emotions?) than you would be without Saturn's intervening.
That would be neat, wouldn't it? They are in sextile. Moon-Saturn are in Virgo and Mercury-Uranus are in Scorpio. I could be Jane Goldilocks Holmes, the daughter of Miss Marple and Sherlock Holmes.

But why not the other way around? Every saturday morning, Moon-Saturn fill their little cart with apples to take them to the market to sell... It's a mountainous region, the road is narrow and sinuous and the weather is often foggy... and guess who lives nearby? Yep. Uranus. The guy is one reckless driver and boy he loves fast cars... :D Let's just say Moon-Saturn's apples don't always make it to the market, lol.

MoonlightSonata

That would be neat, wouldn't it? They are in sextile. Moon-Saturn are in Virgo and Mercury-Uranus are in Scorpio. I could be Jane Goldilocks Holmes, the daughter of Miss Marple and Sherlock Holmes.

But why not the other way around? Every saturday morning, Moon-Saturn fill their little cart with apples to take them to the market to sell... It's a mountainous region, the road is narrow and sinuous and the weather is often foggy... and guess who lives nearby? Yep. Uranus. The guy is one reckless driver and boy he loves fast cars... :D Let's just say Moon-Saturn's apples don't always make it to the market, lol.

Uranus is such a troll sometimes. :lol: