How does one determine sect?

Blaze

Account Closed
How does one determine sect? By this I mean with my own chart of course. Looking at it after doing some light reading on sect has made me wonder about Saturn and Jupiter. Both are strong in my chart, yet, being Diurnal planets in a nocturnal chart....does this make them out of sect? And I know Mars is comfy in a night chart, so that would make my own Mars in sect but in the 12th house, so I'm not too sure how comfy he is, even though in it's home sign of Aries.

Or are Saturn and Jupiter in sect do to the fact that they inhabit feminine signs?

Saturn sits in Capricorn, rx, while Jupiter sits in Cancer.

Huh. I'm confusing myself now. Maybe I should have made a thread for this. :confused:

animatedoodle

Re: Chat Thread

Huh. I'm confusing myself now. Maybe I should have made a thread for this. :confused:

Why do you want to determine sect? Is there something you are worried about?

Maybe this will help
http://horoscopicastrologyblog.com/2008/11/25/the-astrology-of-sect/

I remember ages ago someone telling me that if you were born in the daytime you were an extrovert and at nighttime you were an introvert...

My naiveté totally believed that for YEARS, then I met my friend who told me she was born at 8pm. And she is such extrovert...she's like a cross between a comedian, a cop and a fratboy.

So to that astrologer who told me that many moons ago...

Lq01A.gif

It's obviously not that simple :)

AppLeo

What in the world are "sects"

And I'm a night person and I'm a closeted extrovert. So that guy was half right :lol:

graay ghost

How does one determine sect? By this I mean with my own chart of course. Looking at it after doing some light reading on sect has made me wonder about Saturn and Jupiter. Both are strong in my chart, yet, being Diurnal planets in a nocturnal chart....does this make them out of sect? And I know Mars is comfy in a night chart, so that would make my own Mars in sect but in the 12th house, so I'm not too sure how comfy he is, even though in it's home sign of Aries.

Or are Saturn and Jupiter in sect do to the fact that they inhabit feminine signs?

Saturn sits in Capricorn, rx, while Jupiter sits in Cancer.

Yes, they are out of sect. Your Mercury is rising before the sun so it is also out of sect. Meaning that the moon, Venus, and Mars should be more beneficial to you in the chart, and Jupiter/Saturn/Sun/Mercury not as beneficial or more harmful. I'd think Jupiter might be better off here, though, because it's still on the same side as the sun.

I'm wondering when I consider this stuff if I should consider a planet that is pretty much exactly on the horizon as being above or below the horizon. If it's above, I think my Mars would be in hayz but I don't know :pouty:

Blaze

Account Closed

Why do you want to determine sect? Is there something you are worried about?

Kinda sorta. I was reading on out of sect planets and too much dignity in a chart....which mine has. Having the greater malefic out of sect, as well as Jupiter while having both square Mars who is supposed to be happy doesn't....look so good. It might explain something I'm not willing to disclose. :bandit:

What in the world are "sects"

And I'm a night person and I'm a closeted extrovert. So that guy was half right :lol:

Sects,

Division of the planets, signs and chart areas into the polarities of diurnal or nocturnal. The word itself represents division (as in section), but also implies unification within that division through affiliation and common interest (as in a religious sect).

Of the signs, those which are masculine are also diurnal: Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius and Aquarius; those which are feminine are also nocturnal: Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, Pisces.

Of the traditional planets, those which are diurnal are: Sun, Jupiter, Saturn; those which are nocturnal are: Moon, Venus, Mars. Mercury is unique in having no affiliation to either sect but is usually considered diurnal as a morning star and nocturnal as an evening star (the scheme excludes the outer planets).

The alignment of a planet with its proper sect is considered favourable; that is, diurnal planets are more beneficial in diurnal charts and placed in diurnal signs and areas (when they are described as 'in sect').

I think your Mars is in sect, banana head. :cool:

Yes, they are out of sect. Your Mercury is rising before the sun so it is also out of sect. Meaning that the moon, Venus, and Mars should be more beneficial to you in the chart, and Jupiter/Saturn/Sun/Mercury not as beneficial or more harmful. I'd think Jupiter might be better off here, though, because it's still on the same side as the sun.

I'm wondering when I consider this stuff if I should consider a planet that is pretty much exactly on the horizon as being above or below the horizon. If it's above, I think my Mars would be in hayz but I don't know :pouty:

I thought Mercury was immune to sect? Or maybe that's another debate for some other time.....

And that would come to an exact birth time, G. But then, if Mars is Hayz, would that grand cross you've got be worsened or lessened?

graay ghost

Kinda sorta. I was reading on out of sect planets and too much dignity in a chart....which mine has. Having the greater malefic out of sect, as well as Jupiter while having both square Mars who is supposed to be happy doesn't....look so good. It might explain something I'm not willing to disclose. :bandit:

What is too much dignity supposed to mean?

I thought Mercury was immune to sect? Or maybe that's another debate for some other time.....

My understanding is that Mercury isn't immune to sect but changes sect. It's like a coalition parliament, with Mercury sometimes siding with the majority and sometimes not. Mercury does as Mercury pleases.

And that would come to an exact birth time, G. But then, if Mars is Hayz, would that grand cross you've got be worsened or lessened?

In traditional astrology Pluto is not a thing, so it wouldn't be a grand cross at all. But there's also the question of if bringing stronger fighters into a fight makes it better or worse. No such thing as a good war, etc. But if we don't consider aspects at all, I think a Taurus Mars in hayz would be considered a, uh, well-tempered Mars.

Last edited:

Blaze

Account Closed

What is too much dignity supposed to mean?

Eh. I'd toss it up to a case of extremes. Remember whatcha said? Strong fighters into a fight? Well, all my planets involved in that T-square are strong as ****.

What this does to the native? ....I'll let others guess while the more seasoned types stop and stare. It's quite horrific.

GG said:
My understanding is that Mercury isn't immune to sect but changes sect. It's like a coalition parliament, with Mercury sometimes siding with the majority and sometimes not. Mercury does as Mercury pleases.

...This is random but that actually might make the case for modernist and Mercury being exalted in Aquarius.

GG said:
In traditional astrology Pluto is not a thing, so it wouldn't be a grand cross at all. But there's also the question of if bringing stronger fighters into a fight makes it better or worse. No such thing as a good war, etc. But if we don't consider aspects at all, I think a Taurus Mars in hayz would be considered a, uh, well-tempered Mars.

Mars is unhappy in Taurus though. So I'm guessing that, even if it was in Hayz, it'd be detrimental in some fashion. Maybe in the long run or something. :p

graay ghost

...This is random but that actually might make the case for modernist and Mercury being exalted in Aquarius.

If we're going to take "I does as I likes and I likes what I does" as reason to be exalted in Aquarius, you're going to have to look at Aries and even Leo too.

Mars is unhappy in Taurus though. So I'm guessing that, even if it was in Hayz, it'd be detrimental in some fashion. Maybe in the long run or something. :p

You're acting like Mars being in detriment is bad. A malefic being detrimented is not (necessarily) bad. It means that it does not express itself like itself. When something that is considered to have a "bad" expression changes its expression, that may actually be good. As you're implying, too much dignity is not good, either.

Blaze

Account Closed

You're acting like Mars being in detriment is bad. A malefic being detrimented is not (necessarily) bad. It means that it does not express itself like itself. When something that is considered to have a "bad" expression changes its expression, that may actually be good. As you're implying, too much dignity is not good, either.

Where did I use the word "bad" ? I said Detrimental, like it's status. Mars doesn't like being in Taurus, that is a fact. Same with Libra. Regardless if said detrimental planet serves the native in a "Good" or "Bad" way is entirely none of my concern. :p

The out of sect status was what I was interested in and that seems to have been settled. More of a reason for me to not look toward astrology, but meh, I got what I asked for.

graay ghost

Where did I use the word "bad" ? I said Detrimental, like it's status. Mars doesn't like being in Taurus, that is a fact. Same with Libra. Regardless if said detrimental planet serves the native in a "Good" or "Bad" way is entirely none of my concern. :p

'Detrimental in the long run' is a value judgement which means harmful. 'In detriment' is the planetary status. Wording is kind of important, I think.

conspiracy theorist

How does one determine sect?

The chief way to determine sect is to find out whether your chart is diurnal or nocturnal. This is determined based on if the sun is above or below the horizon. above - diurnal, below - nocturnal.

There are rejoicing conditions that also fall under sect. One is which planet a hemisphere is in. Nocturnal planets prefer to be away from the hemisphere of the sun while diurnal planets prefer to be with the sun.

The second is what sign the planet is in. Nocturnal planets prefer feminine signs while Diurnal planets prefer masculine signs. The Arabs seem to have bend this with Mars stating that Mars likes masculine signs better but there is controversy over this point with some thinking that this was a translation error.

When a planet meets all the criteria for sect it is said to be in Hayz.
e.g Nocturnal Chart - Taurus Rising. Moon in Pisces in the 11th is Hayz.

The opposite is called Ex-conditione when a planet is completety out-of-sect.
e.g. Nocturnal Chart - Taurus Rising. Saturn in Capricorn conjunct the MC is ex-conditione.

As you have figured out with GG by now, a planet can be in hayz and still in detriment or it can be in ex-conditione and still dignified. Astrology is never cut-and-dried.

graay ghost

I had kind of thought that detriment/dignity had to do with how comfortable a planet would be versus sect/hayz determining how influential (and beneficial, to an extent) the planet is to a native.

Comfort does not necessarily engender good performance.

graay ghost

What do you mean by good performance?

If people are comfortable all their lives they never do anything new, they're not challenged, blah blah blah. I guess it's the same thought of some people accusing grand trines of not being so good. Maybe not "good performance" but like being completely comfortable all the time doesn't make greatness. Then again being comfortable none of the time doesn't make greatness either...

I'm sorry, I'm babbling. Carry on.

conspiracy theorist

If people are comfortable all their lives they never do anything new, they're not challenged, blah blah blah. I guess it's the same thought of some people accusing grand trines of not being so good. Maybe not "good performance" but like being completely comfortable all the time doesn't make greatness. Then again being comfortable none of the time doesn't make greatness either...

I'm sorry, I'm babbling. Carry on.

Well I did ask what you meant so I don't see it as babbling.

Is that something you have seen in charts? That dignified planets leads to being unchallenged in the area they govern? A chart in the RMC section had a girl with an exalted in-sect Moon exactly conjunct the AC and what it seemed to mean for her is that her Psychic sensitivity was on overdrive which she found very alarming. The Moon may have been comfortable but she definitely wasn't.

What about the flip side where a planet is detrimented -- "Being comfortable none of the time". I'll use Mars in Taurus as an example. You have 4 people:

Adolf Hitler
Bernie Madoff
Arthur Ashe
Graay Ghost

How would describe these individuals use of Martial energy? Would you say they are deficient?

What about Mars in Cancer a la Roger Federer? His Mars is in fall but it can't be denied that he was a dominant figure in tennis for a long time.

It would seem that based on all of this that "Comfort does not necessarily engender good performance" has merit.

graay ghost

Well I did ask what you meant so I don't see it as babbling.

Is that something you have seen in charts? That dignified planets leads to being unchallenged in the area they govern? A chart in the RMC section had a girl with an exalted in-sect Moon exactly conjunct the AC and what it seemed to mean for her is that her Psychic sensitivity was on overdrive which she found very alarming. The Moon may have been comfortable but she definitely wasn't.

What about the flip side where a planet is detrimented -- "Being comfortable none of the time". I'll use Mars in Taurus as an example. You have 4 people:

Adolf Hitler
Bernie Madoff
Arthur Ashe
Graay Ghost

How would describe these individuals use of Martial energy? Would you say they are deficient?

What about Mars in Cancer a la Roger Federer? His Mars is in fall but it can't be denied that he was a dominant figure in tennis for a long time.

It would seem that based on all of this that "Comfort does not necessarily engender good performance" has merit.

I have not actually done that much study of celebrities and historical figures in astrology. I guess I'm hesitant because when it comes to celebrities and historical figures it seems like there is so much we can't know because one's public perception may be so different from who they really are, though better-recorded individuals (like, say Alexander Hamilton) might be easier.

But yeah I know what you mean about the moon. I haven't seen it so much with moon in Taurus but letting the moon (or even the sun) have too much free reign does not necessarily seem to be a good thing. As opposed to everything else, the luminaries seem kind of... egomaniacal and if they have too much power will drag you along whether you like it or not.

I am not familiar with Arthur Ashe but it sounds like the Mars in Taurus individuals are kind of... underhanded (and for Arthur Ashe that might be literal). Not everything, or even a lot of things, can be accomplished by "I am Mars, look at me!"

When I talked about comfortable 'all of the time' vs. 'none of the time' I was thinking of the sum of the whole chart, or the sum of the whole life. Challenge is good, just someone getting knocked down repeatedly forever is not going to be helpful at all.

Do you really like tennis? I always thought all the grunting was kind of funny.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

I have not actually done that much study of celebrities and historical figures in astrology. I guess I'm hesitant because when it comes to celebrities and historical figures it seems like there is so much we can't know because one's public perception may be so different from who they really are, though better-recorded individuals (like, say Alexander Hamilton) might be easier.

But yeah I know what you mean about the moon. I haven't seen it so much with moon in Taurus but letting the moon (or even the sun) have too much free reign does not necessarily seem to be a good thing. As opposed to everything else, the luminaries seem kind of... egomaniacal and if they have too much power will drag you along whether you like it or not.

I am not familiar with Arthur Ashe but it sounds like the Mars in Taurus individuals are kind of... underhanded (and for Arthur Ashe that might be literal). Not everything, or even a lot of things, can be accomplished by "I am Mars, look at me!"

I haven't sat down to study much about public figures either but I've seen some very good delineations that use the most known facts of a person's life to come to astrologically sound conclusions. I don't think you need to know every waking moment of a person's life to able to read their chart with great accuracy; the amount of "spot ons" I see when a chart is cold read in RMC is a testament to that.

Tennis is cool but I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of it. The constant grunting can be amusing but after awhile I ignore that ****. Those 2 tennis guys were just in my mental file for undignified Mars so I used them. Mars can be pretty effect when he goes covert but you know it's not "noble" or "socially acceptable".

When I talked about comfortable 'all of the time' vs. 'none of the time' I was thinking of the sum of the whole chart, or the sum of the whole life. Challenge is good, just someone getting knocked down repeatedly forever is not going to be helpful at all.

Oh, I see. You know of anyone that has absolutely nothing in life going for them? That seems to be as hard to find as someone with a perfect life.

Last edited:

Kitchy

Banned

I happen to be an Arthur Ashe scholar. He was the man I wanted to marry in 1973 and until he married someone else and the pragmatic saturnian in me said "good for him".

I know everything that has been written (I think) about Arthur Ashe. I read Portrait in Motion when I was 14, when it was hot off the press.

His Mars squared Jupiter and Pluto and he fought like a junkyard dog, quietly and ploddingly from his poor Virginia roots to get to the top. The Sun-Cancer and Mars-Taurus tenacity is a miracle to behold. Venus was his intermediary - he was polite and kind and genuine while he plodded forward.

When he got to UCLA - he had one white shirt, one pair of dress pants and a pair of shoes and he washed them everyday to wear them the next -

Sun at MC apex of chart - the foundation of his locomotive chart.

I heart Arthur Ashe forever and always - he got me interested in tennis and history and crosswords when I was hanging out with future robbers, killers and prostitutes.

He knew the power of the mind and will could overcome anything, which he showed daily.

He was born on July 10th.

He was very much a Mars in Taurus - a bulldozer

graay ghost

Oh, I see. You know of anyone that has absolutely nothing in life going for them? That seems to be as hard to find as someone with a perfect life.

Probably my dad was like that? I don't know, he was a whirling vortex of negativity pretty much all the time.

I am not sure how easy they would be to find. You might be able to find some online, but people looking for astrological help online may be desperate but at least tend to have hope, otherwise they wouldn't be asking. They seem like they'd be really hard to find among famous people, too, because when someone's life ***** and then they die they're unlikely to do anything to be famous for... so I dunno.