Tighter orbs override wider orbs in synastry?

DuffyGal

Banned
Hi,

I am new here and new to synastry astrology. I don't understand a lot. However, I do have a question about orbs.

I am looking at the synastry between myself and an interest. We have my sun square his venus by 7 degrees. However, we have sun trine sun 1 degree, my sun trine his moon 1 degree, and his venus conjunct my mars 5 degrees. Would the tighter orbs with the sun/moon and even the venus/mars take away much of the frustration of the 7-degree orb of the venus-sun square? I know this depends on all the other aspects, I am just asking generally so as to get an understanding of what in a chart might mitigate what. His venus is also sextile my AC with a 5-degree orb and his venus sextile my psyche 2 degrees...in case these mean anything.

I hope I am even stating these correctly. I am just learning this and trying to get a grapple on how to read these charts. I know the whole chart needs to be examined, I am just giving examples to illustrate my inquiry about tightness vs looseness of orbs.

Thank you!

Bina

7 degrees orb is really to wide to be considered in synastry. I usually look at aspects 2-3 degrees orb. If they are very strong by sign/house/placement or an aspect pattern, up to 5 degrees (but rarely). The close aspects are what really counts, the closer the stronger, exact ones (or very near) are the strongest triggers in relationships.

Last edited:

DuffyGal

Banned
7 degrees orb is really to wide to be considered in synastry. I usually look at aspects 2-3 degrees orb. If they are very strong by sign/house/placement or an aspect pattern, up to 5 degrees (but rarely). The close aspects are what really counts, the closer the stronger, exact ones (or very near) are the strongest triggers in relationships.

Thank you for your reply. But that came from astro.com, I am not merely interpreting that myself. Do you mean that although the chart generated said square 7 degree that it's not really square? I thought for certain planets larger orbs are allowed?

Claire19

Hi,

I am new here and new to synastry astrology. I don't understand a lot. However, I do have a question about orbs.

I am looking at the synastry between myself and an interest. We have my sun square his venus by 7 degrees. However, we have sun trine sun 1 degree, my sun trine his moon 1 degree, and his venus conjunct my mars 5 degrees. Would the tighter orbs with the sun/moon and even the venus/mars take away much of the frustration of the 7-degree orb of the venus-sun square? I know this depends on all the other aspects, I am just asking generally so as to get an understanding of what in a chart might mitigate what. His venus is also sextile my AC with a 5-degree orb and his venus sextile my psyche 2 degrees...in case these mean anything.

I hope I am even stating these correctly. I am just learning this and trying to get a grapple on how to read these charts. I know the whole chart needs to be examined, I am just giving examples to illustrate my inquiry about tightness vs looseness of orbs.

Thank you!
With synastry I use only 3 degrees maximum. I would not use a sextile 5 degree orb for instance. The wider the orb the weaker the effect. I would concentrate on the tight orbs only as that will keep thing simpler and less confusing. However a composite chart is much more revealing of the relationship and again no more than 3 degree orb.

Bina

Thank you for your reply. But that came from astro.com, I am not merely interpreting that myself. Do you mean that although the chart generated said square 7 degree that it's not really square? I thought for certain planets larger orbs are allowed?

In a personal chart, 7 degrees orb may be considered, but not in synastry. :smile:
I don't think the program on astro.com distinguishes what kind of chart is drawn up and it has very general settings for the orbs, etc.

Bina

To clarify, yes, it is still a square, but in synastry we need focus on the close aspects as they will tell us the most about the relationship...

tikana

Hi,

Thank you!

DEPENDs

if faster applying to slower it is more potent
if it is outgoing BUT a wider aspect that is incoming - incoming wins

triggered angular planet's aspect - WINs
squares are stronger than sextiles
squares are stronger than trine
conj are more potent than squares

JaxAstro

Some of this is a repeat but these are the rules I follow:

Sun Moon & Ascendant (sometimes Midheaven) I may go up to 5 deg orb for conjunction & opposition only.

Otherwise 3 deg orb for the rest conjunctions, oppositions, squares, trines.

For sextile, quintiles I'll go 2 deg orb. (I actually think quintiles should be considered a major aspect - 5th harmonic). I'm still trying figure out though how quintiles work in synastry.

1 degree orb for the minor aspects.

I think someone already mentioned this but conjunctions are strongest, followed by oppositions, then squares, then trines. I actually like the energy of the sextiles because it is both harmonious and balancing. (elements fire with air; earth with water) In synastry, I think it is good to look at where someone provides you with what you may not have, two parts become a stronger whole.

Have fun!

GPrincess

My husband and I got a SUN-MOON square 6 orb applying...and trust me...it is there! BUT i have to admit that it started to show over the years...

JaxAstro

Oh I hear you, I like to start with tighter orbs, but sometimes like you said over time, some of the more distant and subtle aspects can let their energy be known! :)