Comments on Niplan's article "Introduction to Traditional Astrology"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryoin

Banned
There are a couple of points I'd like to make about the article really quickly. Firstly, the part of about the aspects is off. The meaning of the aspects aren't based off of elemental affinities, they're based on the geometrical shapes and designs, as well as the ability of the signs to see one another. Also you forgot about the inconjunction one-hundred and fifty degrees.

On the planets, it gets a bit more tricky and particular. Mercury does not take the qualities of the sign it's in, later authors said it is naturally cooling and drying, but Ptolemy said it was neutral as it's equidistance from the Earth's cooling and moistening and the Sun's heat and dryness. Mercury only takes on certain qualities of the planet to which it is most closely relating to (e.g. sect, gender, quality [malefic, beneifc]). Another thing is that moisture doesn't come from the Moon, it comes from the Earth.

I think there's a typo because it says the Seventh house is Cadent.

That's about it. You did a pretty good job on making it clear that planets like to be where they like to be and will act out when they are not where they like to be. :)

E

eternalautumn

I've read that the aspects we refer to as "semisextile" and "inconjunct" were called "aversion" in antiquity. It was not an aspect but referring to the places "where the Sun didn't shine" so to speak, and as Ryoin alluded to above. This was based on the Sun at the horizon/ascendant. The houses that were "averted" from the Sun were 2, 6, 8, and 12. I wonder why the second house did not carry forward its legacy of being malefic, as the three others are still considered as such today...

I'd also like to add that, as far as I know, "traditionally", astrologers did not use a quadrant system to divide the houses; they based the calculations on the Ascendant, in one way or another, i.e. Equal House or Whole Sign. Using the quadrant method was a later development. But, this is all dependent on how one defines "traditional". To the best of my knowledge people assume that "traditional " was the system before "modern", but there were several other periods of astrological thought and technique as well:

Babylonian/Mesopotamian--->Hellenistic--->Ptolemy--->Arabic--->Lilly--->Modern

Disclaimer: Please don't quote me on the time-line. I'm conjuring that from memory. However I believe it is essentially accurate, and adequate to illustrate my point that a more specific definition of "traditional" is needed, in my opinion.

But, all in all, it is a pretty good introduction. Thanks, Niplan. :smile:

Niplan

Banned
There are a couple of points I'd like to make about the article really quickly. Firstly, the part of about the aspects is off. The meaning of the aspects aren't based off of elemental affinities, they're based on the geometrical shapes and designs, as well as the ability of the signs to see one another. Also you forgot about the inconjunction one-hundred and fifty degrees.

"[FONT=&quot]Each sign is a member of a triplicity, the triplicity are signs that form geometric triangles with one another in the chart, representing a one hundred and twenty degree angle, or a trine aspect."

Inconjunction is NOT an aspect, its a lacking of relation between the signs. And the others aren't ptolemic aspects.

mercury is asexual in its very core, it is the basis from which all humans are made, the template of the nerves and thoughts, typicaly if anything mercury is more female due to the fact that they very structures it governs are internal manifestations, and not something outward and tangable into the enviroment.
[/FONT]

Ryoin

Banned
niplan said:
"[FONT=&quot]Each sign is a member of a triplicity, the triplicity are signs that form geometric triangles with one another in the chart, representing a one hundred and twenty degree angle, or a trine aspect." [/FONT]

Right, but you didn't really talk about the harmonious nature of the Triangle shape and its religious association with all of the Trinities of in the ancient world. There's also no discussion on the rest of the geometrical shapes and how they relate to the aspect's nature.

[FONT=&quot]Inconjunction is NOT an aspect, its a lacking of relation between the signs. And the others aren't ptolemic aspects. [/FONT]

Right, the inconjunction is the anti-aspect, but it has a place in Ptolemy's aspectual philosophy, which is why I was surprised it didn't come up. I'm not sure what you mean by "others aren't Ptolemiac aspects". I didn't reference any other aspects.

[FONT=&quot]mercury is asexual in its very core, it is the basis from which all humans are made, the template of the nerves and thoughts, typicaly if anything mercury is more female due to the fact that they very structures it governs are internal manifestations, and not something outward and tangable into the enviroment. [/FONT]

Yes, Mercury is asexual, that's why Ptolemy originally considered it neutral in temperament, but later it was made cooling and drying. Everything after that sort of spun off into esoterics which isn't something I'm really interested in.

Eternal Autumn said:
I've read that the aspects we refer to as "semisextile" and "inconjunct" were called "aversion" in antiquity. It was not an aspect but referring to the places "where the Sun didn't shine" so to speak, and as Ryoin alluded to above.

Exactly. Semi-sextile is only "somewhat helpful" but doesn't have the power to really assist in anything, it's like someone standing behind you for moral support. They aren't going to make it hurt any less, but you feel a little better having someone there. Inconjunction is the opposite, someone who just doesn't care a sort of "malevolent lack of sympathy", as Deb Houlding puts it. I think it's a very good way to phrase it, personally.

The houses that were "averted" from the Sun were 2, 6, 8, and 12. I wonder why the second house did not carry forward its legacy of being malefic, as the three others are still considered as such today...

Good question. You have to go through the whole solar mythology of the houses. In Greek the Eighth house was referred to as Epicataphora (Falling into the Underworld) and the Second house was Anaphora (Rising up from the Underworld). They're both gates to the underworld, but one is an entrance and the other is an exit. The Eighth house is a horrible house because it kills the Sun as the Sun has to go through it to enter the Underworld, but the Second house is much more fortunate (regardless of the lack of an aspect from the Sun on the Ascendant), because it allows the Sun to escape the Underworld and shine on the Earth once again.

E

eternalautumn

Thanks for clearing that up, Ryoin.

As to Mercury, here is what I have learned from a symbolic standpoint: At it's core, Mercury is duality (as symbolized by the Staff of Hermes/caduceus with the two snakes intertwined). It represents logical, categorical thought (this or that, then and now, here or there, etc) and communication (which is usually an exchange, "back and forth", between two people). For this reason, it is dual. However, Mercury is focused; it has to have a reference point. Therefore, it has to "choose". What I have read summarizes it as, "If Mercury had to choose a sex, it would be masculine. If it had to choose a sect, it would be diurnal. If it had to choose a temperament, it would be melancholic", etc. But it is very "impressionable" by the other planets, perhaps metaphorically the new kid at school that will do something out of character to fit in.

I have never seen Mercury classified as feminine in any traditional text.

I think one folly of the article is that you imbue a sense of "esoteric New Age mysticism", which isn't a bad thing in itself, except that the article is about historic, traditional astrology, which would have no part in the former. Writing with a sense of the traditional philosphy guiding you would give the article more strength, at least in my opinion. You could perhaps write a separate article about the newer astrological thinking. If you did so, and if you hinted at the humors, for instance, the article would lose strength because the humors have relatively no place in modern astrology. Do you see where I'm going?

Disclaimer: 100% certified constructive criticism from a friend. :smile:

Niplan

Banned
Right, but you didn't really talk about the harmonious nature of the Triangle shape and its religious association with all of the Trinities of in the ancient world. There's also no discussion on the rest of the geometrical shapes and how they relate to the aspect's nature.

Right, the inconjunction is the anti-aspect, but it has a place in Ptolemy's aspectual philosophy, which is why I was surprised it didn't come up. I'm not sure what you mean by "others aren't Ptolemiac aspects". I didn't reference any other aspects.

Ptolemy never mentions inconjunction as an aspect. As well, if each of the elements are equaly trined from each other, Common sense would tell you how to fill in the rest,of the shapes, 2 triangles, form a square.. And by "others" i was refering to whatever your 150* angle is. And to do the shapes any true justice, would require a whole nother ed board post for sacred geometry alone.

furthermore had you read the first part of the post you would have noticed i said this isn't all of it im working on more. This part didn't contain anything to do with the houses or their relationship to each other, which is where the discussion of the shape of the aspects belong. to divulge the number of the aspects and basic shapes at this point in the explination, is necessary due to the fact that it is needed as a key basis to understand that which is the digities and debilities that was the main focus since, it obviously falls in the nature of elemental compatability.

Also, this isn't based on "new age thinking" or "esoteric msystysm" your studying the meaning of the universe and the chemicals god used to make existance. of course its going to be esoteric. To deny astrology its status as an esoteric art would be to deny its very purpose.

mercury isn't classified as either sex in any traditional text worth any value.

If you would have studied something from john dee, one of the great Victorian era court astrologers, and his explanation on the geometric shapes, and the forms of the astrological planets you would understand that the planet sigils themselves, are magical in nature just by the very shapes they make which are viewed as sacred forms. http://www.esotericarchives.com/dee/monad.htm

Its in those "spin offs" that we understand the very shapes that we use to designate the planets.

I've read that the aspects we refer to as "semisextile" and "inconjunct" were called "aversion" in antiquity. It was not an aspect but referring to the places "where the Sun didn't shine" so to speak, and as Ryoin alluded to above. This was based on the Sun at the horizon/ascendant. The houses that were "averted" from the Sun were 2, 6, 8, and 12. I wonder why the second house did not carry forward its legacy of being malefic, as the three others are still considered as such today...
:smile:

Those are also known as the cadent houses, they are still maleific in terms of accidental dibility.

[deleted non-astrological comments - Moderator Note: please keep discussions civil and focused on the problems not on personalities]

Last edited by a moderator:

Olivia

Yes - I'd personally go with Aristotle's concept of elements (2 part - 1 constant, 1 changing) to show the seasons - Spring - Wet becoming Hot, Summer - Hot becoming Dry, Autumn - Dry becoming Cold, Winter - Cold becoming Wet, since that's where that came from.

I have my own issues with H2 being benefic, because I don't believe it is, even though that's where the gates out of the underworld are, but that's controversial. Aristotle's On Generation and Corruption as the basis for the elements as we use them in traditional astrology isn't.

You might also want to mention the quarters going from Asc to 10 as infant, masculine, sanguine, spring and eastern, 10 - 7 as youth, feminine, choleric, summer, and southern, 7 - 4 as mature, masculine, autumn, phlegmatic, and western, 4 back to 1 as old age, feminine, winter, melancholic, and northern.

It's better than the new agey stuff. But you did good.

Last edited:

Catatonia

Mercury is feminine when it's placed in a feminine sign conjunct a feminine planet in a feminine sign by taking on its characteristics. Mercury was a flip-flapper. When he tagged behind the Sun he was considered of the diurnal sect (oriental), and when he rose after the Sun he was considered nocturnal (occidental). So, Mercury is generally a mixed bag of chips. If you want a female Mercury (God knows I've lived with one for 15 years), you need to have an occidental Mercury running away from the Sun in (for example) Cancer conjunct Venus or Moon or both.

Ryoin

Banned
eternalautumn said:
I have never seen Mercury classified as feminine in any traditional text.

I can think of one instance. It's not a "traditional text", but I think it's just about as good. The days of the week have Mercury in a feminine place.

Niplan said:
Ptolemy never mentions inconjunction as an aspect.

Neither does he mention the semi-sextile, but that was included.

As well, if each of the elements are equaly trined from each other, Common sense would tell you how to fill in the rest,of the shapes, 2 triangles, form a square.

I don't understand what "equally trined from each other" means, but I don't see what common sense has to do with an introduction to traditional astrology article as the grand majority of it is not common sense. What makes it even more confusing is that you explained all of the aspectual natures from the eyes of elements and Trines, which is incorrect and confusing.

furthermore had you read the first part of the post you would have noticed i said this isn't all of it im working on more. This part didn't contain anything to do with the houses or their relationship to each other, which is where the discussion of the shape of the aspects belong. to divulge the number of the aspects and basic shapes at this point in the explination, is necessary due to the fact that it is needed as a key basis to understand that which is the digities and debilities that was the main focus since, it obviously falls in the nature of elemental compatability.

I understand that you still have more coming, but this discussion isn't about any of what's to come, it's about fixing what you already have out. Aspectual philosophy isn't dependent on house relationships, it's dependent on relationships of signs to other signs. I also don't find any truth in the statement that dignities and debilities come from elemental compatibility or what part they play in aspectual philosophy. So if you would please enlighten me.

Also, this isn't based on "new age thinking" or "esoteric msystysm" your studying the meaning of the universe and the chemicals god used to make existance. of course its going to be esoteric. To deny astrology its status as an esoteric art would be to deny its very purpose.

It is based on new age thinking, that's why eternalautumn, Olivia, and I have all separately brought it up as a complaint. I'm pretty sure the traditional astrologers would disagree with you about denying astrology as an esoteric art. They all referred to it as a science and it was actually Ptolemy's wish to separate the science of astrology from the mysticism and mythology that the Egyptians had put in it, and that wish was somewhat expounded on by later authors as well.

If you would have studied something from john dee, one of the great Victorian era court astrologers, and his explanation on the geometric shapes, and the forms of the astrological planets you would understand that the planet sigils themselves, are magical in nature just by the very shapes they make which are viewed as sacred forms

I do know that the sigils are of course magical with their own sets of meanings, that's why they're included in several magical traditions. However, that influences nothing on the aspectual front, so I'm wondering why you decided to reference it as that link holds no information on planetary aspects, their natures, or their classical usage and origin.

Its in those "spin offs" that we understand the very shapes that we use to designate the planets. But i mean, I guess it doesn't matter where the alphabet evolved from.. we just use it blindly right.

The glyphs of the planets have nothing to do with the nature of the planetary aspects. If you would like to have a discussion on the planetary glyphs, then it should be held elsewhere as it is irrelevant to aspectual natures and your article on traditional astrology.

Olivia said:
Yes - I'd personally go with Aristotle's concept of elements (2 part - 1 constant, 1 changing) to show the seasons - Spring - Wet becoming Hot, Summer - Hot becoming Dry, Autumn - Dry becoming Cold, Winter - Cold becoming Wet, since that's where that came from.

Yes, I liked this model somewhat better myself. Then I guess the Greeks got carried away with the constant/changing method of Aristotle and changed Mercury and Venus's temperament to cooling and dry and warming and moist. :D

I have my own issues with H2 being benefic, because I don't believe it is, even though that's where the gates out of the underworld are, but that's controversial.

I'm curious to hear more about this. Since it'll probably detract from the topic, please pm me about it. :) It's something I've been kind of on the fence about for awhile. Does mythological association really make-up for not having a true aspect to the ascendant? Probably not, but I think we're about ready to do anything to make another house fortunate. :)

Catatonia said:
Mercury is feminine when it's placed in a feminine sign conjunct a feminine planet in a feminine sign by taking on its characteristics.

I disagree, Mercury's sex is never dependent on the sex of the sign it is in. Generally it's either masculine if it is matutine or feminine if vespertine. Though I have seen instances in both horary and natal astrology (I believe it's William Lilly who makes the point of it, or at least is the only person doing so I can remember at this moment) where Mercury's sex can be defined by the planet to whom it has the strongest aspectual relationship to.

[deleted response to non-astrological remarks - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Olivia

You're correct, EA, 3, 6, 9, and 12 are the cadent houses, though 9 and 3 are not entirely unfortunate. Houses 2 and 8 are succedent. They're still not good houses (okay, there's some controversy over 2), but they aren't cadent (literally 'falling away') from the ascendant. The other succedent houses are 5 and 11 and are considered fortunate by all accounts. And of course the angular houses are 1, 10, 4, and 7.

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
deleted "Introduction to Traditional Astrology", to all

All,

It seems niplan's article has flaws in it. So I have deleted it from the Educational Board.

Correctingly,

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.