Research Project or Is There Already An Answer ??

amzolt

While gazing at the rising Moon and Venus this dawn, something hit me...

Sabian symbols are one degree wide...

The Moon and Sun are fully half a degree wide...

If the ephemeris uses the exact middle of the Sun and Moon to give the position then, when they are half-way through a degree, their limbs are entering the next degree; plus, the opposite limb is leaving the previous degree...

What should we think about this?

~ Alex

pwadm

Staff member
The idea is brilliant actually :)

I remember Lynda Hill wrote an article published on her website about how not only the Sabian Symbol of the exact Sun degree has an influence but also the previous and the next ones. She spiced this idea with many celebs examples. Your idea may provide a (part of) explanation for this phenomenon.

amzolt

Radu said:
I remember Lynda Hill wrote an article published on her website about how not only the Sabian Symbol of the exact Sun degree has an influence but also the previous and the next ones.... Your idea may provide a (part of) explanation for this phenomenon.

Well, nice to know there's some "previous work" on the idea...

You'd think, with my 36 years in the field, I'd have thought about it sooner...
Let's see...
When I was being hit with the idea, Venus was in the 20th degree and Moon in the 18th degree of Pisces...

Pis 20 The window of a farmhouse yields its view of soft purple fields and the table is set for a quiet supper.

Pis 18 The celebrated revivalist has erected his huge tent, now warmed by music, lights and the smell of sawdust.

Too bad I'm currently without my personal midpoint chart since I think I've got a couple right there...
Still, those degrees are quincunx my natal Moon/Jupiter and trine my natal Saturn...

Hmmm...

~ Alex

Draco

Hi guys,

What an interesting consideration.

not only the Sabian Symbol of the exact Sun degree has an influence but also the previous and the next ones.

I am often told that I am wrong because I do not round up the degree's of symbols. It just does not feel right to me, even if it is fashionable.

but if we take the above quote into consideration, then it would mean that whether we round them up or not, then both views have some validity. However, not rounding up always rings more true for me.

Amzolt,

Venus was in the 20th degree and Moon in the 18th degree of Pisces...

How about 19 Pisces? As it is the midpoint between the two.

"The young man and the old one have walked many miles but as master and pupil they neither are fatigued."

Hmm...

Draco :wink:

EvilPixyScorp

Hmm...I thought that too....That not rounding up (At least in natals) is more accurate...But now I see where it's really how you blend them with the next one...

Natal Venus- not rounded

SEA GULLS FLY AROUND A SHIP LOOKING FOR FOOD
This pictures a situation of dependence and sometimes co-dependence. Who's looking for scraps? Are they worth it? Diminishing your essential worth while trying to please a specific need.
The Caution: Waiting for scraps that may not even be worth it or may not ever come.

That's so true it's creepy lol....
And very 12th house!

Rounded is "Easter Sunrise Service as worshippers gather"
12th house again, about rebirth, Venus in 12th I read has to find a way to love the "spirit, the greater god" before mortal love can be had.

Draco

Pixy,

Do you have the book, or are you finding the interpretations of the symbols on the 'net somewhere?

Personally I think it's better to interpret them yourself, that way the way in which you describe it would be moderately different each time, according to what is being inquired upon. However, if there is a net source for these descriptions, where is it?

EvilPixyScorp

Draco-

I get mine from http://www.najaramah.com/Oracle/Libra8
You can type in any degree.
Or another is http://www.sabiansymbols.com/page.asp?id=968
and is Linda Hill based, with a cool blog.

Your sig. reminded me, a week ago I think they found another mysterious man who refused to give his info, floating off the shore...It was the day Moon conj. Neptune! lol He either doesn't want to tell, or his memory has been deleted. He spoke English, on a US built boat, in Europe.

amzolt

Draco said:
I am often told that I am wrong because I do not round up the degree's of symbols. It just does not feel right to me, even if it is fashionable.
I think it's more than "fashionable". It's just like the fact that when you pass a given birthday, you're "growing" or "working on" the next whole year. I just "turned" 60 but now I'm in my 61st year of life...
Draco said:
How about 19 Pisces? As it is the midpoint between the two.
"The young man and the old one have walked many miles but as master and pupil they neither are fatigued."
Yes, as I was strolling around last night, I thought about the fact that I hadn't posted that degree. I certainly thought about it (it is exactly trine my natal Saturn) but didn't post it {fighting a cold lately and not real sharp}.
And, from the version of that 19th degree that you have, your using the same ones I do. I've posted the whole set on my forum...

~ Alex

C1

:) \:!:/

Thanks, old man :p
for posting the Sabians!
...and for the invitation to the Astro Repair Station.

I like your insight. I always celebrate my birthday for
at least 3 days running...and it is relevant that
the Sun's diameter = the Moon's diameter

from the point of view of Earth

and that = approximating 1/2 zodiac degree?
There's some wisdom at work here (if you've ever seen
a total solar eclipse, you know :)

The recent Sabian for the Sun (the past 3 days):
Pot of gold at end of rainbow;
A widow gazing into an empty grave;
A bridge being built across a gorge...
(Today's Moon's Sabian: A Crystal-Gazer)

So much of astrology is in-
sight!
Drink plenty of Emergen-C
:wink:
C1

EvilPixyScorp

Hey Draco, I read your other post on the chain post.

I just noticed, on the Natal board I posted a celeb chart for Cobert.
His Chiron is 19 Pisces...LoL I have NO idea what that means, or if it counts....considering i had a dream about him.

Why would I tap into this symbol?

Draco

Hi all,

Amzolt,

I think it's more than "fashionable". It's just like the fact that when you pass a given birthday, you're "growing" or "working on" the next whole year. I just "turned" 60 but now I'm in my 61st year of life...

Okay, so perhaps 'fashionable' might have been the wrong word to use, perhaps 'conventional' would be a better expression. As it is only a convention, as many do not round up the degrees.

I do understand your point, however. There have been discussions before upon whether degrees should be rounded up or not, and here is a quote from Tim (which I hope he won't mind), as an argument for those of us who do not round up degrees.

If I have $1.06 I do NOT have $2.00 (no matter how much I would like to convince the stores I shop at! ). And I DEFINITELY have at least a $1.00. Even if I have $1.99 I STILL do not have $2.00. Only when I have $2.00 do I have $2.00 (sounds a little like Zen! ). Similarly, if a planet is in 1.06 degrees of a sign, it is at LEAST in the 1 degree mark of the sign and NOT in the two degree mark. Only when the planet reaches 2.00 degrees is it at 2.00 degrees.

.........And that is why on every astrology program planets and points are numbered from 0 - 29 degrees, not from 1 - 30 degrees. Since the planets are numbered this way, it seems appropriate to use the astrological information as given, rather than rounding up. Maybe your point was that, for the purposes of Sabian symbols it is important to round. In my opinion, since it makes no sense in astrology to "round up" sign degrees, it doesn't make sense to use rounded up degrees to interpret Sabian Symbols, which are supposed to be based on astrological degrees.

I just quote Tim because he put it better than I could have done.

See what I mean? I just go with this view myself. I appreciate that you are older and wiser than I am, an you have a wealth of experience which leads you to round up degrees, but for now, I just don't feel right about rounding them up. I must go with what I feel, unless my future experience should pursuade me otherwise. :wink:

Interesting discussion none the less, even if we must agree to disagree.

By the way, I followed the link into your new forum. It looks really interesting. I'll be looking forward to some interesting discusions. I don't know what I'll do now with another astro forum about, I spend far too much time on here as it is! I'll never be off the internet! :?

Pix,

Thankyou for the link to that SS site. It's so much more oracular having descriptions.

Your sig. reminded me, a week ago I think they found another mysterious man who refused to give his info, floating off the shore...It was the day Moon conj. Neptune! lol He either doesn't want to tell, or his memory has been deleted. He spoke English, on a US built boat, in Europe.

Really? Wow. I'll have to look this one up. You must have been doing quite a bit of reading. I posted that 'mystery man' thread ages ago now, before you joined I think. You must have been checking up on my posts. :p

Anyway, I'm off to explore Alex's new forum.

EvilPixyScorp

I saw that thread I think, when I first joined while hunting..Or else saw it on nodeorama..?
I didn't write that clearly...I meant I had seen a news report on AOL mainscreen, caught my eye since I'd just finished a horary chart regarding a "mysterious" phone call(Call represented by Moon!) . :)
I think my strong natal Moon makes me more sensitive to it's conjunctions/sign change.

amzolt

Draco said:
perhaps 'conventional' would be a better expression. As it is only a convention, as many do not round up the degrees.
I would consider the practice of folks who don't "round up" a convention...
And, considering your quote from Tim:
If I have $1.06 I do NOT have $2.00...
It's not what one has that matters with the Sabians, it's where one is. When I "turned" 60 years old, I "had" 60 years "under my belt"; but, then, I began to be "in" my 61st year of life. It's the same with degrees. And, even considering what Tim said about astrology programs, from the "0-degree position" in a Sign to the "1-degree position" Is the 1st degree of that Sign. Therefore, from 1 deg 0 mins 0.000001 secs to 1 deg 59 mins 59.99999 secs is the second degree... etc...........
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Glad you're over in my forum now, too! I need people like you to wake up the 13 other members who never post... :wink:

~ Alex