Another name for the sign of "Cancer"

JUPITERASC

Fine with me if you personally call it George.
But if it's intended to be the name of a Greco-Roman god, it's

either Ouranos or Caelus. :annoyed:
The finder used a telescope, otherwise it would not have been discovered
and he wanted to call it "George"
that's historical fact, like it or not
As a 7 planet astrologer, you should have no interest in the matter.
Same with J.A.
so you are the new judgemental astrological policeman on the block :smile:

david starling

In my judgemental opinion, a 10 planet astrologer has no business criticizing a 7 planet astrologer for not using the 3 outermost planets. And, vice versa.

petosiris

Banned
Unless you've time-traveled into this era from that of Vettius Valens, you are a modern astrologer practicing an ancient version. Or, perhaps a 2000 year-old alchemist who has unlocked the secret of immortality! :surprised:

I know the secret alchemical key of seven metals per seven planets, that is the philosopher's stone. Why do you think there are so many traditional astrologers still using seven planets, they are all immortal alchemists.

david starling

I know the secret alchemical key of seven metals per seven planets, that is the philosopher's stone. Why do you think there are so many traditional astrologers still using seven planets, they are all immortal alchemists.

Things have changed a lot since 300 B.C.E., haven't they! In your ancient opinion, was it better back then, or now, in the current modern era?

JUPITERASC

Things have changed a lot since 300 B.C.E., haven't they! In your ancient opinion, was it better back then, or now, in the current modern era?
1806599_1.jpg

petosiris

Banned

Your question is plain stupid, a philosophical travesty. It depends on the person, the time and the place. How the . can you make such a generalized statement?

The genethliacal limb of astrology is just as important as the universal. If you were fortunate in your nativity, a distinguished governor with a few dozen slaves, a renowned scholar or just a happy farmer with a successful marriage, it will be subjectively ''better'' than some nativities of misfortune today. The reverse is also probably true, comparing an average westerner with the nativity of a Roman slave.

As for the universals, generally, many things are better, and some are worse, some areas are relatively peaceful today with greater lifespans, while some areas of the Middle East have greater conflicts than antiquity. Greed, corruption, violence, endemics and abuse are still part of all western societies. Generally, the fundamentals of life have not changed, and reading ancient astrological texts will quickly teach you that.

Last edited:

david starling

Your question is plain stupid. It depends on the person, the time and the place. How the . can you make such a generalized statement?

The genethliacal limb of astrology is just as important as the universal. If you were fortunate in your nativity, a distinguished governor with a few dozen slaves, a renowned scholar or just a happy farmer with a successful marriage, it will be subjectively ''better'' than some nativities of misfortune today.

As for the universals, generally, many things are better, and some are worse, some areas are relatively peaceful today with greater lifespans, while some areas of the Middle East have greater conflicts than antiquity. Greed, corruption, violence, endemics and abuse are still part of all western societies. Generally, the fundamentals of life have not changed, and reading ancient astrological texts will quickly teach you that.

Grouchy old guy, aren't you?! :lol: I deliberately specified "in your opinion", by which I meant from your own point of view as advisor to the king, and unraveler of mysteries.
As a kid, I wanted to be back in North America before the European invasion. Of course, I envisioned myself as young, strong, and healthy! :biggrin:

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Grouchy old guy, aren't you?! :lol: I deliberately specified "in your opinion", by which I meant from your own point of view as advisor to the king, and unraveler of mysteries.
As a kid, I wanted to be back in North America before the European invasion. Of course, I envisioned myself as young, strong, and healthy! :biggrin:

Valens on the good old times of Nechepso and Petosiris:

''I have written this because I have prided myself on the knowledge bestowed on me from heaven by the Divinity, knowledge which is now dishonored and rejected, even though it is primordial and governs everything in life, and even though without it there neither is nor will be anything. Now even its name seems to be hated, although men before our times prayed for it and blessed themselves by it. I am grieved by this, and I envy the old kings and rulers who devoted themselves to such matters. I am envious because I was not fortunate enough to live in those times which saw such a climate of free and ungrudging speech and inquiry. Their devotion to this science was so enthusiastic and so steadfast that they left the earthly sphere and walked the heavens, associating with the heavenly souls and the divine, holy Minds...'' - Valens, V. Anthologia. Translated by Mark Riley.

david starling

I'm considering Seven Lights, which seems better to me, given the underlying philosophy. Also, is it disrespectful to write it as 7 Stars, instead of Seven Stars? :unsure:

JUPITERASC

Your question is plain stupid, a philosophical travesty. It depends on the person, the time and the place. How the . can you make such a generalized statement?

The genethliacal limb of astrology is just as important as the universal. If you were fortunate in your nativity, a distinguished governor with a few dozen slaves, a renowned scholar or just a happy farmer with a successful marriage, it will be subjectively ''better'' than some nativities of misfortune today. The reverse is also probably true, comparing an average westerner with the nativity of a Roman slave.

Grouchy old guy, aren't you?! :lol:
05-04-2015, 10:30 PM
david starling
user_online.gif

member_premium.gif

Introducing myself

Hi! My Community name is David Starling.
My Sun is at 28 degrees Pisces, Ascendant, Mercury and "the red planet" all solidly in Pisces;

Moon and Venus in Aquarius;

Jupiter in Scorpio,
Saturn in Leo,
Uranus in Gemini,
Neptune in Libra,
and
Pluto in Leo.

I am very happy to have found this website!

JUPITERASC

I deliberately specified "in your opinion", by which I meant
from your own point of view as advisor to the king, and unraveler of mysteries.
As a kid,
you were a kid with Sun at 28 degrees Pisces
Ascendant, Mercury and "the red planet" all solidly in Pisces;
Moon and Venus in Aquarius;
Jupiter in Scorpio,
Saturn in Leo, Uranus in Gemini, Neptune in Libra and Pluto in Leo :smile:

JUPITERASC

I wanted to be back in North America before the European invasion.
Of course, I envisioned myself as young, strong, and healthy! :biggrin:
Valens on the good old times of Nechepso and Petosiris:

''I have written this because I have prided myself on the knowledge bestowed on me from heaven by the Divinity, knowledge which is now dishonored and rejected, even though it is primordial and governs everything in life, and even though without it there neither is nor will be anything. Now even its name seems to be hated, although men before our times prayed for it and blessed themselves by it. I am grieved by this, and I envy the old kings and rulers who devoted themselves to such matters. I am envious because I was not fortunate enough to live in those times which saw such a climate of free and ungrudging speech and inquiry. Their devotion to this science was so enthusiastic and so steadfast that they left the earthly sphere and walked the heavens, associating with the heavenly souls and the divine, holy Minds...'' - Valens, V. Anthologia. Translated by Mark Riley.
david, what sign of the zodiac likes flattery the most?
I'd say a Leo influence.
generalisation is fun but unreliable :smile:
Leo is ... ''haters of flattery'' Vettius Valens - 2nd century astrologer - https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius%20Valens%20entire.pdf
Tropical signs have changed with precession confirmed :biggrin:
Robert Schmidt translates the phrase as ''despising flattery''
. Valens seems to use the word κολακεία here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolakeia
He does not bring flattery with other signs

although he says that

those born under Cancer (Rising Sign
or Moon being there)
are popular, public, party-giving

theatrical and cheerful.
(using Riley's translation)