The 8th house

david starling

I can't help feeling there's something about the intrinsic meaning of the Houses, something common to all of them, that escapes me. "Areas of Life" seems to work for 1 through 7, but not as well for 8 through 12. Traditional meanings can put an assortment of activities in each House that appear to have little or no relationship to one another. Maybe it's about ATTITUDES toward Life....?

david starling

Each House representative of a "Philosophy of Life" sounds 9th Housish., and in Whole-sign, I have Jupiter (in Scorp) in that House, which might be why it appeals to me. For example, H5 would be "go for the gusto!" :lol:
So, following this train of thought, what would be the Philosophy of Life for H8? :unsure:

sadge

Each House representative of a "Philosophy of Life" sounds 9th Housish., and in Whole-sign, I have Jupiter (in Scorp) in that House, which might be why it appeals to me. For example, H5 would be "go for the gusto!" :lol:
So, following this train of thought, what would be the Philosophy of Life for H8? :unsure:

What about..... "Let's break it down!"

normak

Another person with H8 Pluto is our new French president, Emmanuel Marcon, who was an investment banker, and before that was a research assistant for a well known philosopher here, Paul Ricœur. Interesting, this relationship with Pluto in H8 and research.

By the way (just HAD to say something), Emmanuel Macron is also my birthday twin (December 21st). :sideways: Interesting....

normak

Can you define the term in your own words? I looked it up, and none of the definitions fit what I THINK you mean.

I wonder if "break it down" is like "burning it down?" I've read a lot about how 8th house / Scorpio / Pluto is symbolized by a phoenix or a literal "burning to ashes" of the thing(s) that the 8th house represents (and then subsequently rising from ashes). In my own experience, being so Scorpio / 8th house-heavy has caused me to want to investigate and learn everything possible about the mysteries of life / things I don't completely understand on an intellectual level. So in my case, maybe it's a need to "break things down" to their common denominator(s) so that they can be adequately understood and explained(?)

normak

Hi Normak, thanks. I'll use either whole house or Koch and get back to you and will also check out the thread you mentioned.

I finally have everything packed in boxes (there are around 60 of 'em!). The movers are coming Monday morning and then I can breath easy! So bear with me until then. Thanks!

Best - Rhys

No problem! I completely understand- I just finished the process of moving from an apartment to a house this month and can imagine how stressful and crazy things are for you right now. :)

david starling

In my own experience, being so Scorpio / 8th house-heavy has caused me to want to investigate and learn everything possible about the mysteries of life / things I don't completely understand on an intellectual level. So in my case, maybe it's a need to "break things down" to their common denominator(s) so that they can be adequately understood and explained(?)

That's how I understand its meaning. Well said.

sadge

Can you define the term in your own words? I looked it up, and none of the definitions fit what I THINK you mean.

I mean "let's break it down," meaning that's what we do in 8H. Whether we're talking about depth psychology, sex, applying for a mortgage, or research or investigation, it's about taking it apart, breaking it all down, looking at what is underneath the surface to see what's really there. It's that natural instinct of Scorpio/Pluto energy, the process of ascertaining why something or someone is the way it is, uncovering the underlying cause or motivation. Gotta break it down.

Not sure if that's a good one. Just the first thing that came to my head.

I think 5H would be....."time to make it happen" Like to create, win (sports or play), have children, gamble, even sex.

But wouldst this go back to my previous comment about how we all approach our houses differently depending on the cusp?

S.

david starling

I mean "let's break it down," meaning that's what we do in 8H. Whether we're talking about depth psychology, sex, applying for a mortgage, or research or investigation, it's about taking it apart, breaking it all down, looking at what is underneath the surface to see what's really there. It's that natural instinct of Scorpio/Pluto energy, the process of ascertaining why something or someone is the way it is, uncovering the underlying cause or motivation. Gotta break it down.

Not sure if that's a good one. Just the first thing that came to my head.

I think 5H would be....."time to make it happen" Like to create, win (sports or play), have children, gamble, even sex.

But wouldst this go back to my previous comment about how we all approach our houses differently depending on the cusp?

S.

"Make it happen" is excellent. So, that would be different approaches as to HOW to make it happen.

sadge

I wonder if "break it down" is like "burning it down?" I've read a lot about how 8th house / Scorpio / Pluto is symbolized by a phoenix or a literal "burning to ashes" of the thing(s) that the 8th house represents (and then subsequently rising from ashes). In my own experience, being so Scorpio / 8th house-heavy has caused me to want to investigate and learn everything possible about the mysteries of life / things I don't completely understand on an intellectual level. So in my case, maybe it's a need to "break things down" to their common denominator(s) so that they can be adequately understood and explained(?)

That's exactly what I meant. I think any scorpio would get it. It's so interesting to me how Scorpios are always looking for the motivation behind everything, in everyone, even in casual encounters or conversation. (Even when there is none, lol.) It's second nature to them. I've got my share of that in me.

sadge

So how does it play out for you, VIP David? With Jupiter there?

I imagine you do a lot of "breaking it down," quite effortlessly.

sadge

HOWEVER..... another thought is that more watery 8H influences might be more along the lines of "let's merge." Or even, "let's get naked."

I'm thinking of a couple of people with strong neptunes or water influences that have had a lot of trouble with being practical in 8H matters and drawing necessary boundaries, like in matters related to "other people's money" and even how they share their own money.

So its probably not that easy to make a one-size-fits-all T-shirt for all the houses. It's still fun to try tho!

david starling

HOWEVER..... another thought is that more watery 8H influences might be more along the lines of "let's merge." Or even, "let's get naked."

I'm thinking of a couple of people with strong neptunes or water influences that have had a lot of trouble with being practical in 8H matters and drawing necessary boundaries, like in matters related to "other people's money" and even how they share their own money.

So its probably not that easy to make a one-size-fits-all T-shirt for all the houses. It's still fun to try tho!

I think H6 is most concerned with Practicality, and H12 the opposite. So, H12 comes up with the Dream, and H6 is about achieving it, within practical limits. I'm not going for one-size-fits-all, I'm looking for intrinsic, underlying meanings. Right now, I'm getting some traction from the "Philosophy of Life" concept. For H5, it's something like, "Life is to be enjoyed, so make the most of it". What's a pithy one for H8?

david starling

So how does it play out for you, VIP David? With Jupiter there?

I imagine you do a lot of "breaking it down," quite effortlessly.

That's why the Houses are so intriguing to me. They're not easy to break down to their essential meanings, and it's like trying to solve a puzzle. I'm grateful for "Other People's Insights". :biggrin:
It's not academic, it's about improving my ability to read Charts.

CapAquaPis

I'm a 8th house sun/moon Aquarius square Uranus in Scorpio. I find this a not-so-good placement in regards to how my life will turn out. I'm currently 37 and has anxiety disorder, mild depression and mild/high-functioning autism. There's debate among astrologers of the "curse" of scorpio and Aquarius as hexed signs, esp. in combination. Other unlucky signs are Aries, Cancer and Virgo, but Scorpio has to be the worst-you'll find them in any 8th house sun or moon natal charts, Scorpio is generally unlucky in all houses.

The 8th house represents these things and subjects:
1. Death (or a shortened life span or expectancy)
2. Sexuality (esp Venus and Mars placements are concerned)
3. Birth (Water signs, plus Virgo have something to do with childbirth)
4. Pregnancy (the part of pregnancy is 8' or 9' Scorpio-also affects males in different ways than females, who are the ones get pregnant in their life)
5. Inheritance (if not, poverty is a 8th house-scorpio attribute)
6. Negativity (A pessimistic view of life, yet realistic)
7. Illness (Unhealthy or life-threatening medical conditions)
8. Medical Healing (associated with parazodiac Ophiuchus)
9. Struggle (and to overcome such obstacles)
10. Disability (I happen to have this one)
11. Ethnic diasporas (a nation broken apart and scattered like the wind)
and 12. From a female relative (family issues derived from maternal side).
Plus the unlucky 13th trait: Violence (or susceptibility of a violent incident or event involve violence-whether one is a victim of, or they committed acts).