Why is Venus said to be exalted in Pisces?!

aquarius7000

Here's one way of looking at it: Planets "own" Signs, which in turn, "own" Houses. Planets impart their energies more strongly in some Signs than others, and Signs impart their qualities more effectively in some Houses than in others. The questions then are, does a House actually contain within it some of the innate qualities of the Sign that "owns" it, which it then imparts to whatever Sign is currently "visiting"; and if so, do the Signs as numbered 1 through 12 (beginning with Aries) "own" the Houses with matching numbers?
Or, conversely, are the Houses simply about "fortunate" and "unfortunate" "areas of life" with no connection to Sign-qualites at all?
David, thanks for sharing your perspective. Going by what you wrote, please explain:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/house_of_joy.html
against
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/signs_of_joy.html

If "planets own signs, and signs, in turn, own houses" (which is actually not the way it works), Sun owns Leo and Leo owns the 5th house? If yes, the Sun should joy in the 5th house, but, instead, it joys in the 9th house. :andy:

david starling

David, thanks for sharing your perspective. Going by what you wrote, please explain:

against

If "planets own signs, and signs, in turn, own houses" (which is actually not the way it works), Sun owns Leo and Leo owns the 5th house? If yes, the Sun should joy in the 5th house, but, instead, it joys in the 9th house. :andy:

Well, the Sun just enjoys going out and visiting the House owned by Sagittarius, instead of staying home in the House of the Sign it rules. Nothing wrong with that! :biggrin:

david starling

against

With the arrangement I proposed, the Sun should be VERY influential in the 5th House, just as Mars should be in the 1st and Jupiter in the 9th. Notice that with the Sign/House matchups, all three are by nature, Fire-sign Houses, where the Sun would be at its most expressive, especially when it is also in a Fire-sign, and most especially when it's in Leo. Does this run counter to your experience?

Last edited:

AppLeo

Oh I agree totally. Cancer, Taurus and libra are feminine signs so it would make sense that venus is happiest there. However I see pisces as mostly deluded rather than having a feminine or masculine feel. Yes it is submissive and softly spoken, but that's as far as it goes.

Libra is not feminine at all.

Libra is balanced, clear-headed, and logical.

david starling

Libran placements produce classy, intelligent women; and, polite, proficient gentlemen. Using the "Yin" and "Yang" concept instead of "Feminine" and "Masculine", all of the Fire and Air-signs are Yang, which can be defined Astrologically as "Transmissive", and all of the Earth and Water-signs are Yin, defined as "Receptive". Pisces is especially receptive to Venus and the Moon.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

With the arrangement I proposed, the Sun should be VERY influential in the 5th House, just as Mars should be in the 1st and Jupiter in the 9th. Notice that with the Sign/House matchups, all three are by nature, Fire-sign Houses, where the Sun would be at its most expressive, especially when it is also in a Fire-sign, and most especially when it's in Leo. Does this run counter to your experience?
Please read up a bit on why the Sun's house of joy is the 9th and not the 1st or the 5th. You might think differently then.

jkxx74

Premium Member
This is definitely something to think about. The reasons that you describe
are the reason I'm confused when it comes to pisces. I agree that venus in pisces can be all about romance, fantasies, idealising, atrs, poetry, music. So that is all venus. But the addiction part is not a healthy expression of venus and being mutable either. I get pisces in venus can fall in love over and over again but the sacrifice part of this sign is not something I see healthy for venus. I also agree that the moon is well suited to pisces because of all that emotional and intuitive energy. Scorpio is more of a masculine sign and quite sporty and fit and feisty, but pisces is good for moon. Also, in tarot, there is a card that represents pisces and rules the moon .

What id like to know is how venus in pisces ppl feel about their bodies? I'll give an example of my experiences. In high school (teenage yrs which is ruled by venus) myself and two other friends had venus in virgo and back then I would say our bodies were immaculate and we were quite confident in using it as an expression with flirting with the opposite sex. It was rather playful and cute. I could not find one flaw physically speaking on either of us. I had another 3 friends who had venus in pisces who had body image issues, puffy skin, fluid retention, overweight, were self conscious and didn't date anyone. How is that a good expression of venus, when they don't self love, have low self esteem and dont date other boys either? I'm not saying they have to date, but they were too scared and they put them below the pedestal they kept putting other ppl on. I also remember a guy who liked me who had venus in pisces and he thought he wasn't good enough, yet I liked him. So, it seems contradictory for venus to be exalted here.
Hi Abby,

your post is interesting with the points you bring up so I'll go over a few. I think the greatest benefit to having Venus in Pis is the ability to forgive since being unforgiving often causes pain and suffering for both people involved in the transaction. On the other hand, that is also its downfall because forgiving people who are ready and willing to exploit you is not a very "smart" thing to do and these are the kinds of people who will approach someone with this placement first and foremost. Addictions are a negative that comes with any Neptune placement and is also another downer but you could see these exist for the person to do damage to themselves instead of lashing out at another, if at all possible. So going back to the original question, it would be about encouraging self or others to give people the benefit of the doubt which is otherwise not very common in life.

Moon in Pisces sounds like a rough placement if my Moon-Neptune is any indication - being too exposed to the emotions of others can be overwhelming even for someone with an Aries sun or other fiery placement even though it's great for dealing with people you know. While the Moon should feel at home in the water signs this one seems pretty challenging to me.

As for your question on how people with Venus in Pis feel, it is just like the people you described so far including the high school bit, but I'd caution against chalking this up to the Venus placement and looking for Saturn or Chiron as sources of low self esteem. Pisces is an introverted sign though so someone with Venus in it is not going to be especially sensitive to the "normal" social cues unless they have other placements that promote this - or put another way, they'll rarely fire the first shot.

Abby83

Libran placements produce classy, intelligent women; and, polite, proficient gentlemen. Using the "Yin" and "Yang" concept instead of "Feminine" and "Masculine", all of the Fire and Air-signs are Yang, which can be defined Astrologically as "Transmissive", and all of the Earth and Water-signs are Yin, defined as "Receptive". Pisces is especially receptive to Venus and the Moon.

Thank you David. Very nice of you to say and I agree :kissing:.

Please read up a bit on why the Sun's house of joy is the 9th and not the 1st or the 5th. You might think differently then.

This is quite interesting if I understand correctly. Like my husband's 5th is in his 5th and I must say he is 'at home' when it comes to sports. He literally does not leave the house and enjoys 5th house activities (including children). He just sits and stares at them at home. He doesn't leave the house!

Hi Abby,

your post is interesting with the points you bring up so I'll go over a few. I think the greatest benefit to having Venus in Pis is the ability to forgive since being unforgiving often causes pain and suffering for both people involved in the transaction. On the other hand, that is also its downfall because forgiving people who are ready and willing to exploit you is not a very "smart" thing to do and these are the kinds of people who will approach someone with this placement first and foremost. Addictions are a negative that comes with any Neptune placement and is also another downer but you could see these exist for the person to do damage to themselves instead of lashing out at another, if at all possible. So going back to the original question, it would be about encouraging self or others to give people the benefit of the doubt which is otherwise not very common in life.

Moon in Pisces sounds like a rough placement if my Moon-Neptune is any indication - being too exposed to the emotions of others can be overwhelming even for someone with an Aries sun or other fiery placement even though it's great for dealing with people you know. While the Moon should feel at home in the water signs this one seems pretty challenging to me.

As for your question on how people with Venus in Pis feel, it is just like the people you described so far including the high school bit, but I'd caution against chalking this up to the Venus placement and looking for Saturn or Chiron as sources of low self esteem. Pisces is an introverted sign though so someone with Venus in it is not going to be especially sensitive to the "normal" social cues unless they have other placements that promote this - or put another way, they'll rarely fire the first shot.

Well said :).

sylph

This is just my opinion (and I may have read others state this before as well), but let's take Neptune in Libra, for instance. Wouldn't you think that this energy is one of refining/idealizing/uplifting the expression of beauty, partnership and equality? So Venus in Pisces, perhaps, could have some similarity. Those words -- refining, idealizing and uplifting -- might even fall into the same category as "exalting."

With Neptune in Taurus, I'd say there is a need to refine or uplift one's demonstration of sensuality, abundance, etc. Again, this is something that would make sense for Venus in Pisces: the need to elevate such earthly matters to a more ethereal/spiritual expression.

Of course, this would all be much different if I were saying Jupiter in Libra or Jupiter in Taurus. I feel that Jupiter simply expands rather than refines. Jupiter transiting my natal Venus in the past has almost always caused my love life to expand (i.e., I get involved with someone very deeply), but -- surprise, surprise -- these relationships were with shady and sociopathic guys. This, however, might have to do with my natal Venus square Neptune; it's like a feedback loop lol. So yes, I do see the "downside" of Piscean energy: the rose-colored glasses, excessive idealization leaving you open to being taken advantage of or abused, etc. But I don't think Venus in Pisces alone is responsible for this. There just may be somewhat of a challenge to remain clear-headed and not let your extreme love/idealizing keep you from having boundaries. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic to those who struggle with this placement, but you just have to realize when you are overextending yourself and try to keep that in check. Ultimately, though, there is the benefit of refinement with Venus in Pisces. The path to get there doesn't always feel good; it's not easy to refine and purify one's expression of a particular energy. But we all end up having to do that in various areas, depending on either Pisces placements, the house that Pisces rules, Neptune's placement, 12th house placements, etc.

Last edited:

tripleooo

Just wanted to throw my two cents in. I've recently been trying to get some information about the traditional astrology and stumbled upon the book "Astrology: Understanding the Birth Chart" by Kevin Burk. There is some information I found to be useful and the book provides the descriptions of each planet in each sign. The following is the direct quote from the book describing Venus in Pisces:

Venus in Pisces… finally finds the perfect balance between the emotional/spiritual nature of the element of water, and Venus’ drive to relate to all things beautiful and harmonious. Venus is exalted in Pisces, and operates on the level of the higher self. Pisces energy is about dissolving the boundaries between us, letting go of the illusions of separation, and reconnecting with the true source of the universe. Venus in Pisces ultimately understands that when we relate to other individuals, and to things of beauty and balance, we’re really relating to the universe, and trying to rediscover our connection to the perfection of all creation. Venus in Pisces finds letting go of outdated structures and conventions in relationships very easy and natural. Pisces still operates on the emotional and spiritual plane, but the emotional connections that Venus makes in Pisces are far more gentle than those it creates in Cancer and Scorpio.

So I guess this answers the question of why Venus is exalted in Pisces. My friend has her Venus in Pisces. She falls in love easily and the way she sees love is wonderful and inspiring... She can really find beauty in every person and doesn't judge others based on their looks. Maybe sometimes Venus in Pisces can make a person overly idealistic and they're often not as loyal in relationships as, say, Taurus, but I think it's obvious that it's still a very strong position and questioning Venus' strength here is unreasonable.

AppLeo

I honestly think Venus in Virgo is better.

Venus-Virgo discriminates the things it loves and doesn't love.

Venus in Pisces loves everything for no reason.

aquarius7000

@Aquarius and David

The ecliptic that moves around the earth is our starting point. The Zodiac. In that sky-strip first "we" found some stars moving in it, named them and then divided that sky wheel into 12 equal segments-constellations. Conventionally "we" made Aries the first sign of the sequence; but it is recorded of a starting point, in old Mesopotamia, placed in Taurus (the equinox processions).

If we established Aries was our starting point, this means that, more than the signs, a planet takes the feature of the house it is located, but that's actually inaccurate. It's a mix of both things.
Establishing that the houses have the same characters of the corresponding signs, tells us exactly about the PLACEMENT of the planets. In a strictly theoretical manner. House-location. Sign-character. You see? It's all connected.

A Sun in 12th house takes indeed the features of the 12th house. That's basic astrology. Even if you're a Leo.

From Wikipedia, about Thema Mundi
"The purely symbolic nature of the chart is readily perceived from the impossible positions of Venus and Mercury in it.[2]
The chart significantly diverges from the theory that the houses and the signs are directly correlated. "
Moonris, that it's all connected, nobody denies. It's all Astrology still. Hands and arms and feet are all connected, of course, too. They are all part of the human anatomy. But, does that mean that hands=feet? No.
What I am trying to make a point of is that sign=house is not the way it works. Your own example shows that. Even in the 5th house, which people equate to Leo, the Sun does not rejoice (though the Sun rules Leo). The 5th is the house of joy of Venus! Why? Since, the 5th stands for things we rejoice doing, that we like (and are not routine), hobbies, romances - all that is Venus.

The Sun rejoices in the 9th. Why? In traditional Astrology, Sol (the Sun) is associated with divinity, a place where the truth comes to light and spreads like the rays of the Sun, and good counsel. However, going by some of the 'logic' on this thread, the 9th house should be where Jupiter should rejoice because the 9th house should be Sag. per the logic on this thread. However, Jupiter rejoices in the 11th house of good fortune, friendships and generosity - all those are qualities of Jupiter.

We can continue the discussion here till we turn blue in the face, but, honestly, suggest one gets a good traditional Astrology book to get a hang of this subject, if one is really interested. A Wikipedia or a Cafe Astrology site is handy, but not thorough. :sideways:
Look for Tikana's posts and start out with Christian Astrology. THere's a free link to that book in her posts.

Last edited: