Do you number the Signs?

david starling

When I first began learning about astrology, I included a number for each Sign, along with its Element, Modality, and imagery. At the time, it was assumed that Aries was Sign#1, and on through Pisces, Sign #12.

I don't equate Signs and Houses, but I do associate them based on this numbering sequence. The first House, for example, matches up best with Aries, and so on, around the circle.

I also use the Sign #'s in accordance with rudimentary Numerology, whereby the three double-digit Signs, all in the same quadrant, "resolve" to a single digit by adding the the two numbers together.

So, by that method, Capricorn, as Sign#10, resolves to Aries as Sign#1: [10=1+0=1]. Adding in the Elements, Capricorn, an Earth-sign, resolves to a Fire-sign. Which means Alchemically, "Matter converted to Energy".

And, Aquarius, as Sign#11, resolves to Taurus as Sign#2: [11=1+1=2]. So, that's the Element Air, converting to the Earth Element, or "Mind converted to Matter", sometimes expressed as "Mind over Matter", and the "Mind-Body connection".

Then, for Pisces, as Sign#12: [12=1+2=3], a Water-sign converting to Gemini, an Air-sign. That's "Emotion converted to Thought", meaning "Emotionally-charged Thinking".

Bunraku

Yes

public class AstrologySigns {

public static void main(String[] args)

{

// Creating a list

List<SignCat> l1

= new ArrayList<Integer>();

// Adds 1 at 0 index

l1.add(0, 1);

// Adds 2 at 1 index

l1.add(1, 2);

System.out.println(l1);

//AstroOutput

AriesTiger

Yes, I number them, starting with Aries as 1. In the same way that tarot cards can be thought of as a person going on a journey, the Greek zodiac can be the same. Aries is how one starts out at the beginning of life. Each sign after Aries shows the growth and development of the person. Pisces is the last one because it’s the wisest. I wrote a short story of a person who personifies the zodiac this way.

david starling

Yes, I number them, starting with Aries as 1. In the same way that tarot cards can be thought of as a person going on a journey, the Greek zodiac can be the same. Aries is how one starts out at the beginning of life. Each sign after Aries shows the growth and development of the person. Pisces is the last one because it’s the wisest. I wrote a short story of a person who personifies the zodiac this way.

Thanks, Tiger--a real answer! I'm wondering how many Modernistic astrologers also number them as we do. When I was first learning about astrology many decades ago, it was taken for granted.

It's important to me, because I also use basic numerology to characterize the Signs, and to relate them to the Kabbalistic "Tree of Life".

It's possible that so many Modernists take for granted the Signs as numbered 1 through 12 in accordance with the Aries to Pisces sequence, that is sounds like an unnecessary question.

Can you post the short story on the show off board? I'd like to read it.

waybread

Since Hellenistic times, Aries has started the tropical zodiac as the sign of the spring equinox.

Ptolemy noted in 150 CE that you could pretty much start the zodiac anywhere, but he opted for Aries. This was probably based on the Babylonian calendar, as the other calendars of the ancient world had different start dates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babyl...n calendar was a,inserted as needed by decree.

So I think most of us number the signs. The question is, does this mean anything?

I think it means less than many astrologers claim.

Signs and houses are sometimes good match-ups by-the-numbers, and sometimes really bad ones. IMO the 9th house is one of the best, but the first house is about the worst. Nobody is going to appear like an Aries rising unless s/he happens to have Aries as a rising sign.

I certainly don't see much spiritual evolution through the number order of the signs.

Speaking of numbering the signs in modern astrology, Dane Rudhyar was really big on this: but how many unevolved traits of Aquarians and Pisces folks can we name?

david starling

Since Hellenistic times, Aries has started the tropical zodiac as the sign of the spring equinox.

Ptolemy noted in 150 CE that you could pretty much start the zodiac anywhere, but he opted for Aries. This was probably based on the Babylonian calendar, as the other calendars of the ancient world had different start dates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babyl...n calendar was a,inserted as needed by decree.

So I think most of us number the signs. The question is, does this mean anything?

I think it means less than many astrologers claim.

Signs and houses are sometimes good match-ups by-the-numbers, and sometimes really bad ones. IMO the 9th house is one of the best, but the first house is about the worst. Nobody is going to appear like an Aries rising unless s/he happens to have Aries as a rising sign.

I certainly don't see much spiritual evolution through the number order of the signs.

Speaking of numbering the signs in modern astrology, Dane Rudhyar was really big on this: but how many unevolved traits of Aquarians and Pisces folks can we name?

I don't equate Signs and Houses, but I consider Aries to be most effective in H1. It has to actually BE in H1 for H1 to impart Aries qualities [IMO].

AriesTiger

Thanks, Tiger--a real answer! I'm wondering how many Modernistic astrologers also number them as we do. When I was first learning about astrology many decades ago, it was taken for granted.

It's important to me, because I also use basic numerology to characterize the Signs, and to relate them to the Kabbalistic "Tree of Life".

It's possible that so many Modernists take for granted the Signs as numbered 1 through 12 in accordance with the Aries to Pisces sequence, that is sounds like an unnecessary question.

Can you post the short story on the show off board? I'd like to read it.

i'll send it to you by PM.

CapAquaPis

Aquarius in the new age is treated as #1 , the sun enters this sign on Jan 20, the first month of the western solar calendar. Like Aries, Aquarius starts with the first letter of the Roman alphabet "A". And in Hellenic astrology, Cancer is placed in the ASC or rising, conjunct the Moon and the Sun (new moon dawn).