Does making a prophecy changes the outcome?

JUPITERASC

EACH classical planet as well :smile:
was associated alchemically with
one of the seven metals known to the classical world
i.e.
silver, mercury/quicksilver, copper, gold, iron, tin and lead respectively

THE CLASSICAL PLANETS ARE:
Moon, Mercury, Venus, Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn

MERCURY completes 46 sidereal cycles and 145 synodic cycles with 46 years.
MERCURY has retreating arcs of 12 degrees for 20 days.
MERCURY is alternating between moistening and drying, and common. Stilbon makes those born under it sallow, of moderate height, graceful, with beautiful eyes, moderately curling hair, having excess of moist when morning rising, and light, with straight hair and olive complexion, lean and spare, glancing brilliant eyes, somewhat ruddy, having excess of dry when evening rising, and in general, youthful and athletic, articulate, versatile, intelligent, tricky, busy, curious and efficient.

MERCURY controls law, intelligence, speech, reason, commerce, youth, education, writing, games, disputation, brotherhood, interpretation, messengers, numbers, calculation, geometry, deception, theft, community, exercise, service, profit, inventions, attendance, athletics, wrestling, hearing, declamation, certification, supervision, weighing and measuring, testing coins, versatility, critical thinking, judgement, marketing, banking, temple builders, modelers, sculptors, doctors, teachers, lawyers, orators, philosophers, architects, musicians, diviners, dream interpreters, sacrificers and augurs, astrologers, prophets, braiders, weavers, weight lifters, gamblers, mimes, sleight of hand, methodical work, military strategy, labour contracting, rhythmic performance, authority, luxury, renting, display of public service, irregular and disturbed outcomes with malefics, the vestibular system, the gustatory system, the auditory system, currency, copper, varied colours and pungent tastes. It is chronocrator over childhood up to the 14th year.

Bibliography:
Robbins, F. E. (1940). Ptolemy: Tetrabiblos. William Heinmann, London. Retrieved from http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/home.html
Valens, V. Anthologia. Translated by Mark Riley. Retrieved from https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf

leomoon

My husband use to break open old thermostats he'd take out of houses we'd renovate, and save the Mercury in a jar. Eventually, understanding just how dangerous having mercury is, even in the basement of a workshop, he discarded it. Mercury is also known as "quicksilver" as you cannot hold it, its impossible.

I wonder how the ancient astrologers correlated quicksilver with this idea of the planet Mercury and rulerships?

Rex Bills Rulership book, pg. 192 puts quicksilver ruled by Mercury too.

aquarius7000

You spill milk (do puja) on the ground in front of elders? What a weirdo.

Oh, and you don't need to tell me that we live in Babylon.
Some find it very weird rubbing that black powder they call ash on Ash wednesday or a man in a white robe dipping some bread in wine and putting it in one's mouth.

Moral of the story - when you know very little to nothing about other cultures, do not judge them. If you feel an inner compulsion to judge them because that is just your nature, invest a lot of time in understanding and learning about them, other wise the judging is very disrespectful.

petosiris

Banned
Some find it very weird rubbing that black powder they call ash on Ash wednesday or a man in a white robe dipping some bread in wine and putting it in one's mouth.

Moral of the story - when you know very little to nothing about other cultures, do not judge them. If you feel an inner compulsion to judge them because that is just your nature, invest a lot of time in understanding and learning about them, other wise the judging is very disrespectful.

It is not the puja that is weird, but passiflora's bad analogy of idolatry with veneration and respect for elders. Christians are familiar with this distinction and oppose the arguments of Romans, Greeks and Easterners in favour of it.

aquarius7000

I don't see much of a difference, if any, at all in somebody, so a non-astrologer, telling the querent: if you do this and this then that and that could happen. In comparison, a proper Astrologer (and that is where the problem starts given all the phonies and charlatans that exist) will be talented enough to study the chart, predict and let you know how an event could turn out. We do it in Horary all the time. Of course, it is highly advisable that the querent is able to understand and accept what the astrologer says.

Whether and how the querent acts upon it then depends on the intellectual and emotional maturity of the querent. Though not all above 18 year olds are mature, but perhaps best to only give astrological readings to above 18-year olds, but then on a public forum like this one, how do you even control that.

Hi all,

I have heard it said a lot that making a prophecy changes the outcome. The reasoning goes like this:

Suppose you are going to pass your exam. Then you consult an oracle and it tells you so. Then, you become complacent because of this new knowledge and don’t study as hard and you fail your exam as a result.

But this presupposes that a prophesied outcome can change. In other words, if you were to believe in absolute fate, then the oracle should have told you that you will fail, taking into account the very same question that you asked it. But then again, this statement is problematic in and out of itself.

Anyway.

What is your view and experience regarding this? I am interested to hear them.

Thank you.

aquarius7000

It is not the puja that is weird, but passiflora's bad analogy of idolatry with veneration and respect for elders. Christians are familiar with this distinction and oppose the arguments of Romans, Greeks and Easterners in favour of it.
Such sweeping comments are weird. The point here is that all one knows about that "puja" - is what someone writes in a post here, one most certainly is not intellectually and morally equipped enough to judge another culture, their faith/ ways of carrying it out.

Similarly, one cannot speak on behalf of all Christians that oppose the arguments of the Romans and Greeks and say that all of them do it with "veneration".

Last edited:

aquarius7000

To make a prophecy to change an outcome of what's supposed to happen...can astrology be only about fate or there's free will to alter the direction of your life in the future?
This whole thing about Free Will and judging Astrology by that and accordingly even dividing it on that basis between Trad. Astrology and Modern has become a real frustrating issue - for me at least.

The thing is that people do not fully understand this whole concept of free will and feel just because somebody (astrologer) answers your question in the negative, so the prediction is not what you wanted to hear, s/he has been deterministic and taken away your free will. That has become the sales pitch in favour of Modern Astrology- which is how I started out many years back - and switched to trad. Astrology.

What people absolutely ignore is that your own actions that are based off of your own thoughts are also part of your free will. This is actually a very deep subject and often also related to one's own faith and understanding of things - and is a very sensitive subject because of that. Honestly, I do not know if I have the patience and desire to continue with this. Good Q though

aquarius7000

As a wise man once said: You are certainly entitled to your own opinion. :smile:
As long as the opinions are not denigrating and condescendingly hurtful to the reader. Given this is a global public forum where even people of varied faiths come, it is certainly anything but wise to use disrespectful and judgmental adjectives on subject as sensitive as one's religious leaning and faith. Not nice that is all I am saying and that wise man will agree with me on that. :sideways:

CapAquaPis

Sylvia Browne appears to have prophesied this pandemic. She also prophesied that it would suddenly abate, and reoccur 10 years later.

Just like SARS in 2003 and MERS in the 2010s, Covid19 is a coronavirus type of disease that 1. originated in China, 2. spread throughout the world (a lot more than the other two) and 3. maybe, vanish like the earlier pandemics. I do know a new disease emerges from the coronavirus group in east Asia. I wondered if this happened in human prehistory or certain plagues of unknown origin were coronaviruses. A new virus shouldn't only have a 5% fatality rate of infections. Native Americans were reduced by 95% in three centuries (1500-1800) from the introduction of European diseases in western contact they were not exposed to for 50,000 years.