My friend

Howl

This is a beautiful friend of mine. We met vaguely through social circles, and truly on the day I cried infront of her in a miserable stupor, having just discovered that she was my ex boyfriend's new *interest*. The worst new years ever :D . It was at her house; I apologised to her for having created an uncharacteristic level of drama, and she apologised for having upset me in a way she would never have chosen to. We have come a fair way since....

I've had the chance to get to know her better since she moved interstate when I did, and stayed with me for a while. Her birthday is 8 days after mine. I'm not sure yet (nor is she) of her birth time, so for now I'm looking at a chart with no birth time. I think this is better than creating false impressions through guessed birth times, until she can find out what it is. What is standard practice when you don't know birth time?

I will post with accurate birth data as soon as I have it ;)

She's interested in astrology, and I'm interested in her, so I am going to be trying a whole chart reading, eventually (especially if birth time can be established). I will continue by posting my own observations, and will GREATLY appreciate any input :D

Here she is!!

The first things I notice are:

Bucket chart (like mine!) if you count chiron, or bundle/bowl (?) if you don't. Suggests a focus on one hemisphere, but I don't yet know WHICH hemisphere :)

Relative balance of modalities, 4 cardinal, 4 mutable, 2 fixed
Less of an elemental balance, 4 Air, 3 Fire, 2 Earth and only 1 water
In terms of aspects, the chart is quite neat.

That nice trine and two sextiles between Venus Mars and Uranus. Is that called an arrow??
Sun tightly conjunct Neptune, square Moon and sextile Pluto. Seems intense :)
Jupiter water singleton (like me) with only one aspect: square Venus
Mars square Mercury

I have a feeling that Venus-Mars-Uranus describes much of her social ease and popularity
and that Mars/Moon sqaure Sun/Neptune/Merc (and also just Nept conjunct Sun) describe some of her ongoing concerns with depression, and self-undermining behaviour which she can't seem to shake off.

Last edited:

Howl

No, oddly enough, she doesn't. Very easy going. I'm still working on the birth time dilemna, information forthcoming :)

Howl

I'm trying to stay away from the forum to write a book review, but just couldn't resist posting my friend's chart. I finally got accurate natal data!! Here it is...

She wants to go to uni next year to study social work. I can see that all over her chart!!

Saggie stellium (higher learning in accordance with her philosophy)
Cancer on the MC (public 'role' related to caring for others)
Cancer NNode in 9H (higher study related to 'caring')
Scorpio ascendant (a healing presence)
12H stellium involving Pluto/Saturn/Mars in Libra (sensitivity to psychological balance)
Jupiter in Scorpio conjunct Ascendant (great deal of goodwill and healing energy for people who need it!!)

I can also see why she is both charming and clumsy (Uranus 1H, haha :D)
And the 4H/12H/1H Venus-Mars-Uranus shows a lot of friendly energy for other people. Combine that with an 11H moon, and we can see why she is so well loved. I also think Venus in 4H represents being brought up by her mother alone.

Uranus in 1H may suggest her susceptibility to undermining her own long term plans as well as her rebellious adolescence. The 12H planets suggest her experiences of depression, and other problems with emotional wellbeing.

The one part I don't have an inkling of yet are her 2H planets. If someone has powerful personal planets in 2H and they aren't interseted (yet, anyway) in financial security/prestige/earning/owning, then what are those planets telling you? Neptune conjunct Sun/Merc (and a strong 12H) might ameliorate any overt sense of pride attached to material possessions, but then what IS her sun doing in 2H? What does this tell me? Any ideas?

She's just about to get up close and personal with Pluto conjunct Sun, so perhaps she's about to find out herself :p

Another thing I can now see is how we are so close so easily. All of my natal planets, except for the Moon and Mars, fall in the same signs as hers and in conjunction to hers. We both have 11H Moons (mine Gemini, hers Virgo) and water Ascendants. Basically the aspects in our charts are very similar, and complimentary. Our composite chart is very nice :)

Even funnier, I can now see how we share the same ex-boyfriend, hehe :D

Last edited:

Howl

Hi Jag,

Thanks for your point, it was one worth making :) I do agree, the 2H can't just be the 'money house'. However, I still have trouble conceptualising what it would feel like, or mean, to have your sun (or other planets) in the 2H. I have a limited "sense" of that house, if you know what I mean :p so any suggestions as to the significance of 2H planets are welcomed!!

I ended up starting a thread about the 6H for the same reason. I have a stellium in there, and I was SURE that the 6H is about more than 'routine' and 'health'. :) Now I need to 'expand' the 2H in the same way. Especially since it has Sagittarius and Neptune involved and may not behave as most conventionally expected.

Ok, so 2H is about values, material and non material. I also sense that it is connected with security, both material and non material. Being the home of Taurus, for me the 2H conjures association with wanting some form of predictable, reliable, consolidated 'basis' for life; something to enjoy 'having'; a solid foundation, in whatever form that may take.

I don't yet 'see' what this foundation/basis/security/solid value system is for my friend. I can't picture what it is that 'sustains' her, in the 2H kind of sense.

Having Sagittariusness in common with her probably doesn't hep me to see it!! :p

Last edited:
Looking at your friends chart elementally I would say she is quite balanced because having her Scorpio Ascendant balances the lack of water in her other planets. She also has Sun conjunct Neptune/Moon Square Neptune so this lady does not lack emotions. She is quite an adaptable person who enjoys variety and she probably finds herself pulled in several directions at the same time. Easily adjusts to different circumstances. She is fairly confident and has a dynamic nature.

She has a self promotion of interests. Independent and answerable to herself. Highly personalized and self absorbed. She does have difficulty understanding the motives of others. She applies herself well and she is happy to work alone. She is learning to put herself in other's shoes.

She relates to the world on a spiritual, humane level. Worldly wise and may appear detached from the personal traumas of the physical world. She is highly ambitious but her innate atonement to the spiritual well being of the world and the realization that she alone cannot change it's self destructive course can make her sad, lonely and depressed. This lady is self contained and independent.

Your friend has tremendous tact and diplomacy, she has the ability to get along with most people. Idealistic and a seeker of knowledge and the truth. Lots of energy confident and buoyant. Great depth and wisdom.

Her outer persona is like a probe, seeking out whatever lies beneath the surface to satisfy her hunger for passion, intrigues and powerful emotions. At the same time her own feelings and intentions become impenetrable. She may be quite secretive because she feels so vulnerable on the inside.

Overall her essential purpose in life is to further and discover more about whatever she regards as important. To enable her to accomplish this she is very able to grasp the whole meaning of any subject that appeals with sizable enthusiasm. She is a compassionate soul but it is difficult for her to find a strong solid place in the material world. Although she puts her energies into having material value she finds it hard to grasp. In this life she has to establish what she is truly worth and not what she earns in the material world to feel valued.

She is at odds with what she wants and what she needs, because her reigning need is to feel pure and that everything is in the right place. This leads her into having a well ordered emotional lifestyle. She has an excellent instinct for health care. She is aware of what needs cleaning up in this world. Most of her needs are met by friends or in her social life. But her goals may sometimes fluctuate. To succeed she has to accentuate her positive qualities and live life.

she appeals to people on an emotional level she just has to be careful not to let her perfectionism hold her back her analytical, self critical emotions trying to keep chaos at bay by keeping things tightly in order. She has the need to serve to help others. But in order to meet her goals she has to keep focused and grounded. She is ultimately on a quest for meaning and she has to integrate these instincts with the rational mind. Her mind is what she takes pride in and she likes to make good use of it. She can worry sometimes working everything out in her head. But she also has to realise there is more to life than thinking.

She has a resilient nature, ready for action she has no trouble getting on with whatever job she has. All these energies she has have to find a worthwhile cause. She needs to know what she wants in life. Self assertion may be repressed and may be a hard to get a handle on. Pursuits which aim to help and serve others are favourable for her. She aims to get what she wants but through trying to please others at the same time. Your friend can be quite the social mover. Although she can be oversensitive to the opinions of others and may therefore overreact sometimes to people's reactions. Your friend has to remember she can't please everyone.

Your friend has powers of regeneration. Powerful hidden resources, which could be repressed she may feel she is carrying the weight of the world around with her. This personal power of transformation is concerned with changing the state of those things which oppress humanity as a whole, but she does have to clear her issues first before she can delve into spiritual insights and healing.

Her faith in life has to do with a sense of justice. She strives for justice to be sought. Your friends guardian angel watches over her more than she knows. Just when things are looking bleak for her out of the blue comes deliverance, a benefactor along the winding road of life.

Your friend is learning about nurturing and emotional give and take. She has to parent beyond the immediate family, to nurture in the widest possible way, but without exhausting herself in the process. She needs to use her inner strengths to support herself. Take responsibility for herself and her family. She has an eternal quest for meaning, asking all the great questions of life the challenge for her is to be rather than become. The challenge for her is to move into living what she believes, bringing mind and spirit together. She has to find a true inner relationship and not look for it in the outside world. Your friend has to move beyond guilt and fear, transcending personal limitations and working to serve the whole.

Shining Ray

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
material security, to Howl

Howl,

The 2nd house is the house of "Material Security". Since money is a common source of our material security, money is commonly an issue with a focus on the 2nd house. Money is a value in the sense that it is something material which can be valued or counted out. This relates the 2nd house to values in general. What is important to us in order to have "Material Security" in this life? This is a question which people with a focus in the 2nd house have to deal with in their life.

However, jagetoile brought up an important point: Neptune is focused in her 2nd house. Neptune tends to dissolve anything it touches, so with Neptune in her "Material Security" house, her sense of "Material Security" is dissolved. This could result in it being hard for her to concentrate on money or practical issues. It may even extend over to her being confused about what she "values" in life. In general, once Neptune gets into a house, it is difficult to "personalize" the issues of this house (although the person may struggle to do so). Since the 2nd house is one of the more "personal" houses, this confusion of money and values could be a source of concern to her.

Materially secure,

Tim

freedomlover

Re: material security, to Howl

Howl,

Second house also rules "self-worth" issues, such as awareness of personal needs and self-acceptance. Also steadfastness and building solid foundations. On the down side, it also brings up issues of being stubborn, resistant to change, and holding dogmatic opinions.

(These, according to Jan Spiller in New Moon Astrology)

Just offering another way of looking at it........

When I was thinking about the 2nd House Sun and connected to Neptune. My partner has his Sun in 2nd Square his Neptune in the 5th. His Sun is in Virgo. He does seem to have trouble holding on to money. Just seems to slip out of his fingers or he has been charged for something and has had his money taken off him.

I thought his placements seem to fit why he lost his last job. He was out drinking before he went to work, and was found out by his company and was fired.

The Neptune in the 5th (Recreational drinking) challenging his work and income. Neptune indicating the loss of income perhaps through his work.

Shining Ray

Howl

Thankyou, beautiful astrologers!! Your contributions have been read and appreciated. Feedback coming soon, watch this space ;)

(Oh god, I am meant to be concerntrating on writing this review!! Discipline, where are thou?)