Hello all

mrdecc

Premium Member
Hello there people, avid astrologer here, looking forward to contributing:biggrin:

mrdecc

Premium Member
I feel as though I have been living under a rock. I did not even realise that there was such a thing as 'traditional astrology'. I have always loved trawling around the occult section of 2nd hand book stores, all of my astrology knowledge comes from the many 2nd hand astrology books I have accrued over the past 18 years. This site pointed me in the direction of 'traditional astrology' to which I am extremely grateful.

A quick few purchases from amazon ( William Lilly books 1,2 and 3, The real astrology and the horary textbook ), and I have obsessed over the astrological stylings of Lilly and Frawley, I now dream of charts!.

JUPITERASC

I feel as though I have been living under a rock. I did not even realise that there was such a thing as 'traditional astrology'. I have always loved trawling around the occult section of 2nd hand book stores, all of my astrology knowledge comes from the many 2nd hand astrology books I have accrued over the past 18 years. This site pointed me in the direction of 'traditional astrology' to which I am extremely grateful.

A quick few purchases from amazon ( William Lilly books 1,2 and 3, The real astrology and the horary textbook ), and I have obsessed over the astrological stylings of Lilly and Frawley, I now dream of charts!
You're clearly enjoying a new perspective on astrology mrdecc! For worked examples outlining the traditional method check out http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48463 :smile:

btw remember Frawley is controversial and not universally accepted amongst astrologers however it is important to read all opinions and viewpoints and then form your own opinions

As horary is of interest to you, you would enjoy and also benefit from perusing a discussion at
http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7253&highlight=frawley

mrdecc

Premium Member
Frawley is funny, I cannot get to grips with his rational about the Regiomontanus houses, I understand Lilly used them, but if the tropical zodiac is symbolic, then why would a house system based on how you would portion up the sky with your hands be relevant. Surely the whole sign house or equal house system would be more suitable.

JUPITERASC

Frawley is funny, I cannot get to grips with his rational about the Regiomontanus houses, I understand Lilly used them, but if the tropical zodiac is symbolic, then why would a house system based on how you would portion up the sky with your hands be relevant. Surely the whole sign house or equal house system would be more suitable.
Exactly. :smile:

At least two thousand years ago at the time of Vettius Valens the whole sign house system was used to delineate topics.

Porphyry house system was used simply to assess strength of planets

Therefore whole sign and Porphyry had different functions

i.e. planets that are angular by whole sign AS WELL AS Porphyry - or these days Placidus - HAVE GREATER STRENGTH than those planets that are angular ONLY with whole signs OR angular ONLY using Porphyry. That's the common sense rationale.

HOWEVER after a few thousand years have passed......

There are however, Hellenistic astrologers who delineate natal charts using techniques that preceded Medieval style delineation i.e. for example as discussed in "Hellenistic Delineation" at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43920

mrdecc

Premium Member
That is so interesting, many thanks.
There are so many interesting, clever people on this site including your good self.
I do have a question but I do not know where to put it, I have never really been a frequent user of forums. It is regarding the modern interpretation of my birth chart, I live my chart in a very real, concrete way, every planet is felt acutely including the outer planets. The traditional interpretation of my chart tells a different story though, I am having a job with the division of the two factions. Traditional ignores the outer planets, yet they are so alive in my chart.
I have noticed Dr Farr using a rather eclectic method incorporating traditional and modern and this seems to be the way to go. How do you view it?

JUPITERASC

That is so interesting, many thanks.
There are so many interesting, clever people on this site including your good self.
I do have a question but I do not know where to put it, I have never really been a frequent user of forums. It is regarding the modern interpretation of my birth chart, I live my chart in a very real, concrete way, every planet is felt acutely including the outer planets. The traditional interpretation of my chart tells a different story though, I am having a job with the division of the two factions. Traditional ignores the outer planets, yet they are so alive in my chart.
I have noticed Dr Farr using a rather eclectic method incorporating traditional and modern and this seems to be the way to go. How do you view it?
If you are unaccustomed to traditional delineation of a natal chart then take your time - Rome was not built in a day mrdecc!! Traditional methods are well worth studying because if nothing else, they are the foundation of modern methods which without them would not even exist!

It is not unusual for astrologers to differ and for that reason, on astro.com there is a facility to create a natal chart either with or without the newly discovered outer planets :smile:

Every astrologer has their own opinion as to their preferred method and each method seems to provide good results for every astrologer so it seems best to study all the options and then form your own opinion.

And there are many astrologies!! Sidereal, Tropical, Vedic, Uranian, Cosmobilogie, Geocentric, Heliocentric and so on and so forth.

Interestingly, ancient astrologers used to literally study the stars by physically being out of doors, viewing the skies and making notes. Therefore the seven visible planets were delineated as well as Fixed Stars AND mathematical points e.g. Part of Fortune/Part of Spirit

Today's astrologers do have the facility of onscreen software calculated natal charts BUT lack the visual three-dimensional view AND also of course software is not entirely reliable!

There are few astronomer astrologers currently, although they do exist. For example
http://www.babylonianastrology.com/