Major US Study Says Red Meat Unhealthy/Lethal/Can Kill!!!

dhundhun

Thanks Anachiel and JUPITERASC.

As continuation to my postings in the thread, This is what I use for Mars in fall (Cancer) - twice a week.
http://www.spicytasty.com/meat-and-seafood-entrees/spicy-mutton-curry/

With slight variation, my cooking includes: Goat Red Meat, Red Chillies, Mustard Oil, Turmeric, Onion, Ginger, etc. In addition to that, I add about 10 whole Cayenne pepper and some more hot spices.

Substituting Red Meat with Chicken or Fish does not help that much. Just to convey value of Red Meat in this context.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Thanks Anachiel and JUPITERASC.

As continuation to my postings in the thread, This is what I use for Mars in fall (Cancer) - twice a week.
http://www.spicytasty.com/meat-and-seafood-entrees/spicy-mutton-curry/

With slight variation, my cooking includes: Goat Red Meat, Red Chillies, Mustard Oil, Turmeric, Onion, Ginger, etc. In addition to that, I add about 10 whole Cayenne pepper and some more hot spices.

Substituting Red Meat with Chicken or Fish does not help that much. Just to convey value of Red Meat in this context.
dhundhun, sidereal Mars in fall (Cancer) - or is that tropical Mars in fall (Cancer)?

etheriver

i can't help but feel that the conditions the animals lived in is reflected within their flesh. that's not too asinine, right?

you are born and branded. if you're unlucky enough to not be wanted for veal (in which they would place you in a cage not big enough to stand [so your muscles atrophy and you're more tender than a crooning frank sinatra] until you're ready for the chopper), you are forced into a building with thousands of others your type, typically without enough room to sit in your own excrement. you are forced-fed corn, which you are not meant to digest. you are pumped full of antibiotics to keep your living conditions from literally killing you. once you're ready for slaughter, you are cramped into a truck with your cohorts with no food or water, no matter the weather. if you refuse, you may be beaten or electrocuted to death. then you get to the slaughterhouse, and well, it's the most freedom you'll feel; somewhere new. that is, of course, before you suffer a typically inaccurate blow to the head meant to stun you, whipped up on a conveyor belt by your hind feet, and have your throat cut whether you're unconscious or not. your body is then mechanically and quickly skinned, gutted, and pulled into their "appropriate" pieces.

now. if we humans are willing to do this to our animal brethren, i don't think it's too daring to say that our collective guilt might be what's giving everyone butt cancer from meat.

the end.

waybread

etheriver, gourmets who hunt claim that they can taste the difference in the quality of the meat if the animal died instantly or was stressed and suffering prior to death.

Have you read any of the auto-biographical books by Temple Grandin? She is an autistic woman who really could feel with suffering animals. She became a professional designer of meat-packing houses that minimized the fear and stress of animals about to be slaughtered.

I would sure recommend that carnivores either buy organic meat from a known source, or purchase directly from small farmers in your local area who advertise meat for sale, probably in your local newspapers. These small operations can be visited and observed for humane treatment of animals.

Unfortunately most supermarket vegetables and fruits in the US come from agribusiness farms that rely on a lot of chemicals to create that perfect head of lettuce or apple, as well as badly-paid migrant farm labour. The chemicals run off into waterways, creating environmental problems. Although these days, a lot of produce comes from China, which has even worse regulation of food safety. If it comes from South America or South Africa, it has to travel thousands of miles by ship, and then languish in a warehouse before it shows up on your grocers' shelves. Pretty much all of it is picked green, so the nutritional content is really reduced.

There isn't much moral high ground in vegetarianism, either; especially not the ovo-lacto type for people who shop in supermarkets, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

etheriver

waybread, i haven't head of ms. grandin, but am certainly interested. almost excited, you might say ^^;
i've read (hearsay?) that heavy cap types are statistically more likely to pursue vegetarianism, and with my loaded cap sixth, i'm inclined to believe it.

organics aren't just a posh "name brand" for people with six figure incomes. fast and convenient (thereby dirt cheap and comprised halfway of starlink corn) "food" has utterly bastardised our concept of the actual price/value of food. think, 100 years ago, EVERYTHING was organic. within the timeframe of human existence, that's a drop in the bucket. we have almost no way of knowing what pesticides, fungicides, or god forbid GMOs will do to our bodies or the planet. there simply hasn't been enough time, though i fear we are beginning to see more than the tip of the iceberg...

tokyo.lights

fwiw according to a major US study, red meat is not only unhealthy but can be positively lethal. Apparently, the research shows regularly eating red meat - especially the processed variety - dramatically increases the risk of death from heart disease and cancer.

Each additional daily serving of processed red meat, equivalent to one hot-dog or two rashers of bacon, raised the chances of dying by a fifth.

source: Sky News http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16187521 :smile:
WOW I never liked meat anyway, it tastes so weird. Happy I turned vegetarian :w00t:

waybread

I agree, etheriver. I grow a lot of produce in a large vegetable garden (& freeze, can, or dry a lot of it); and buy from farmers' markets and local producers when I am able. I live in a rural area, and also find there is an informal produce swap amongst the neighbours in the summer (her squash for my celery, &c.) However, we still buy imported supermarket food (coffee, tea, tropical fruit, &) so it's not quite the 100-mile diet. But we work towards it.

Anachiel

I try to keep an objective view, especially in these days and times when everyone seems to have one agenda or another, particularly if it involves big money.

So, without meaning to stir the pot but seriously, I ask, are people living longer than used to? Despite all the "junk" that people are eating are we not all living longer, generally, than back in the good old days when everything was organic?

Eating healthy or not, everyone is going to die of something. Granted, this is not a license to eat unconsciously or to treat food and/or land and/or animals without respect.

In Ayurveda it is spoken that the quality of food does not so much affect the body as it does the mind and emotions which, in turn affects access to the spirit and, eventually, affects the body. Obviously a dull mind cannot and is not interested in matters of the spirit and therefore languishes to some degree and, eventually, all else follows and devolves accordingly. Is the Age of Dumbness perhaps a result of all this playing out....I don't know. Just some thoughts I have sometimes about all these food matters.

Oh look!...is that a cookie over there....:rolleyes:

waybread

People are living longer thanks to antibiotics (remember how scared characters in Jane Austin novels were of sore throats?), surgery, insulin, &c. Unfortunately there is also a huge obesity epidemic in the US. So maybe today's adults will live longer despite the risks of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes, thanks to a cocktail of medications. They will probably also have more back, hip, knee, and foot problems due to carrying excess weight. Unfortunately this epidemic is affecting children, who are expected to grow up with a lot of health problems. Girls are entering puberty at age 8 now, and this may be related to diet.

Some medical researchers think that breast cancer is related to environmental chemicals. As is the deformation and disappearance of frogs in our wetlands.

JUPITERASC

People are living longer thanks to antibiotics
. That's no longer true for current/future generations. :smile:
(remember how scared characters in Jane Austin novels were of sore throats?), surgery, insulin, &c
Those days are apparently returning - remember 'MRSA'?

-
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is also called multidrug-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and oxacillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (ORSA). The development of such resistance does not cause the organism to be more intrinsically virulent than strains of Staphylococcus aureus that have no antibiotic resistance, but resistance does make MRSA infection more difficult to treat with standard types of antibiotics and thus more dangerous.

MRSA is especially troublesome in hospitals and nursing homes, where patients with open wounds, invasive devices, and weakened immune systems are at greater risk of infection than the general public. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methicillin-resistant_Staphylococcus_aureus

QUOTE FROM WHO (WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION)
"Antibiotics were regarded as the solution to infectious diseases but they are becoming less effective as resistance to them spreads," said WHO Director General Hiroshi Najakima and it is one of the main dangers facing world health today, warns the 1996 World Health Report. "The resistance of diseases to antimicrobials has increased dramatically in the last decade, with a deadly impact on the control of diseases such as tuberculosis, malaria, cholera, dysentery and pneumonia," it says. ENDQUOTE

And the above mentioned report was published sixteen years ago. The reality is, antibiotics are less effective because bacteria have become increasingly resistant: antibiotic resistance results when some bacteria are able to adapt to survive in the presence of an antibiotic.

JUPITERASC

b0a17c748be67bb4817b154ecfe3407c.jpg