love themes, gods goddesses, sex appeal, natal chart ruler

david starling

What about Mars ruling Sign numero uno? Is Aries the sign of Unity in Trad. as it is in Mod? If so, strange that it would be ruled by a planet of separation; if not, then not strange. And if Mars rules Scorpio, and the key-word "desire" applies in Trad., might not Mars involve desire for sex ? Not romantic, but lustful, like Hef?

Oddity

What about Mars ruling Sign numero uno? Is Aries the sign of Unity in Trad. as it is in Mod? If so, strange that it would be ruled by a planet of separation; if not, then not strange. And if Mars rules Scorpio, and the key-word "desire" applies in Trad., might not Mars involve desire for sex ? Not romantic, but lustful, like Hef?

I've never heard the sign of unity thing, David, so it may be a modern invention, it sounds like one. In trad, Aries isn't always the first sign - look at the Thema Mundi - Cancer is.

Signs aren't sexual in trad. Scorpio is fertile. That's not a lot to draw a conclusion from. I can kinda see Mars in Scorp as lustful, but once again - lust/desire/sex aren't necessarily all of a piece. In practice, I don't like to see Mars and Venus connected at all, because lust becomes a problem, the kind that separates people (lots of affairs when you're married, for instance), unless both planets are in very good dignity and aren't hitting each other's detriment/fall with the aspect.

muchacho

[IMO] Night Venus is about Romance, including romantic fantasies; Day Venus is about Ideals and Principles, and fostering Inner Light to dispell Outer Darkness. And, both versions of Venus are operative at all times; its location in the chart should be taken very seriously as an influence on one's Psyche.
IoPan, your cynical point of view is on target in a terse, highly amusing way. (Welcome to the Community!)
love-thinking, you're beautifully and hopelessly romantic!

Great contrast!
The way I see it, that's only true when 1) Venus is close to your ASC, Moon or Sun or 2) you belong to the age 15-24 group. If none of that is the case, then Venus plays only a minor role.

muchacho

Oh, David, this could be a long, long, long post. Possibly a book! But I don't have time for that right now (so y'all can breathe a sigh of relief).

Let's start simple. What does Mars represent? Severence, cutting, separation, war. It creates strife. It tears people apart.

And that isn't sex.

Venus, on the other hand, is the planet of conciliation. The one that brings people together. The one that makes us DESIRE. The one that celebrates art, and beauty, and love, and connection on a deep, deep level.

And that is about sex.

There is so very much historical stuff here that I could go into (that's the book part), and astrologers wrote about it in the past. A lot. So did philosophers and poets. It was kind of a big deal. A huge deal, for most of us, and even though we have more technology now than we did then? People - we're still pretty much people. That hasn't changed.

Mars can inflame, if you combine it with Venus, it can create a lot more lust, but it's lust, it's not sex. (Another book can be added here.) But it isn't necessary. It's really not. That creative impulse - it comes from the sun, not from Mars.

I think the reason I've been despairing so much reading this thread is that it makes me think people think that nobody had sex, or at least meaningful, or passionate, or perverted, or wild, or wonderful, or intense sex or relationships before - Hugh Hefner discovered sex? Or that if they did, they had no idea why (yes, they did, it's a big topic in the literature) until the outer planets came along.

And that's just wrong.

Cheers, mate.
You are probably confusing sex with love. If we are talking about sex as in sexual intercourse, then there's much more to consider because sexual intercourse happens for many reasons and under many circumstances. It can happen as an act of mere biological procreation (Sun), an act of mutual affection (Venus), an act of lust or mere physical desire (Mars) or even just be a tool or product (Pluto).

Oddity

But it's Venus that causes physical desire. Not Mars.

Look at generic por.n. What does it show???

Also, it's called 'venereal disease' and not 'martial disease' for a reason.

IoPan

Banned
i think love is such a general word, it is a word like fruit. the guy talks about love and you are thinking a banana but in fact he mean melons.

as such there are all kinds of love. how many poems did you read? how many love songs did you write? how many times your heart has been smashed? under the word love, under that notion, under that umbrella how rich of a library hidden, what kind of a temple did you erected there? now, that's what you understand from love vs some fool. can it be the same thing?

IoPan

Banned
i was thinking about mars and i thought we were bullying him. we suck.

seperation is needed. that's how you find yourself. seperate from family, leave what is comfortable and safe and go for it without knowing what it is.

the fool from tarot cards. yeah he doesn't know anything but he is not afraid to learn. after getting crushed by some evil heartless person-*****, how to even start again? how to give yourself a second chance? mars will give you that push you need.

mars is the strongest cardinal power! how to even start a relationship? you gotta go and you gotta believe yourself and you gotta ask her out. you don't think oh she is so beautiful she will laugh at me etc. you just go! you don't stutter, you don't look at your feet or ceiling, you look in her eyes. go go go team gutsy lovers!

muchacho

i think love is such a general word, it is a word like fruit. the guy talks about love and you are thinking a banana but in fact he mean melons.

as such there are all kinds of love. how many poems did you read? how many love songs did you write? how many times your heart has been smashed? under the word love, under that notion, under that umbrella how rich of a library hidden, what kind of a temple did you erected there? now, that's what you understand from love vs some fool. can it be the same thing?
Exactly my point! I'm assuming that Odd is speaking for the traditional approach only where there's not much differentiating happening which naturally results in a more black/white manner of thinking. So choose the approach you like best.

Last edited: