Religion do you believe or not?

First of all it would be nice if this thread remained quite civil, these topics usually generate tension, a rivalry of opinions and people who have over the top reactions to others opinions, if you feel you can't handle it, don't read or reply.

Heated conversation is fine, just don't go all out swinging, no need.

So religion to me. Mother and father were "believers" i used quotes because neither followed the "rules" they just used it as some kind of stress relief "an answer" when things are really rough.

So my mum went to church every Sunday, and i used to love going just to eat the free biscuits and scoff chocolate and what not.. a total joy for a kid :love: but also served as time away from home (mum and dad never allowed us out to play etc) and i got to eat.. :p

We sat down.. they would jibber jabber some stuff from a verse the lovely woman would mention, and people would hold their hands to their faces or just look down.. so i followed suit as to not look out of place, i remember not doing so and my mum had a dig at me so yeah...

The vicar was a lovely woman, really well meaning and kind.

Now home for me was a war-zone, it was for everyone, dad treated mum like rubbish, she gave it back in small doses but mostly he was the victor.

So my dad back then was never into it, mum did her own thing at church.
She made friends with some, it was her escape mechanism, her free time.

Now i still to this day don't believe at all, it serves me no good to believe in it as much as believing the Earth is flat.
However religion can serve as a way to bring people together, provide warmth, and in a community like fashion support one another, there is an aid "Christians against Poverty" which is humanitarian, nothing to do with religion.

What i see religion as is a means to assert a will or power that by normal means would never gather a foot hold in reality, so someone has to bring up such a concoction and it needs to be spread like wild fire for good or for bad, it is what it is.

Some of you may agree or not agree, i don't care for your opinions, i am fixed in how i view it, however i will openly read what people have to say with a differing opinion, if i can answer and find a good point i will do so.
I am more intrigued with the human mind and how it creates, absorbs, latches onto things.

Scorpio in Pluto in 8th, Leo Merc in 6th at full work here :p

Chrysalis

I agree with Appy on this one occasion lol....im not religious, never have been and never will be.

Religious communities to me are just made up metaphors to keep people under some sort of thumb of control and order.

So many different religions, each having different views, beliefs, and Gods, it makes no sense to me, there's only supposed to be ONE god :innocent:

Also viewing a "God" as a male, why male ?

When you ask questions...like i have done many times. People say "well its written in the Quran/bible" etc....oh okay, so just because its written in this book, its presumably true....anyone can write a book.

I could go and write a bible tomorrow, make up my own religion and have lots following my "made up" belief.

God to me is not a being as in "a person", God exists yes, but to me Gods all around us... Gods the air we breath, Gods the energy connecting us, Gods the universe.

Now i've gotten more into Astrology i believe that the planets are our small gods, the universe is the main God for everything.

kahtiel

I consider myself agnostic because I've experienced some things that I can't explain away, but I'm generally not religious or spiritual.

I do think there's some value that many people don't recognize when it comes to religion. I've heard that it can help people who are close to dying or who are suffering and need something to look forward to. Religion is generally a suicide deterrent which is most would see as a positive aspect of religion. A close knit community can help people feel less alone.

I agree with Appy on this one occasion lol....im not religious, never have been and never will be.

Religious communities to me are just made up metaphors to keep people under some sort of thumb of control and order.

So many different religions, each having different views, beliefs, and Gods, it makes no sense to me, there's only supposed to be ONE god :innocent:

Also viewing a "God" as a male, why male ?

When you ask questions...like i have done many times. People say "well its written in the Quran/bible" etc....oh okay, so just because its written in this book, its presumably true....anyone can write a book.

I could go and write a bible tomorrow, make up my own religion and have lots following my "made up" belief.

God to me is not a being as in "a person", God exists yes, but to me Gods all around us... Gods the air we breath, Gods the energy connecting us, Gods the universe.

Now i've gotten more into Astrology i believe that the planets are our small gods, the universe is the main God for everything.

Great question, why is GOD "male" ?

Or is it because people call humans "man" which is inherently sexist to think a deity would be 1 sex even, especially given the powers this deity has.

If this deity is capable of creating such flawed things as humans, then why is this deity thought of as a human? why is it human form?

I like your take on this :)

I consider myself agnostic because I've experienced some things that I can't explain away, but I'm generally not religious or spiritual.

I do think there's some value that many people don't recognize when it comes to religion. I've heard that it can help people who are close to dying or who are suffering and need something to look forward to. Religion is generally a suicide deterrent which is most would see as a positive aspect of religion. A close knit community can help people feel less alone.

I agree .

katydid

Profound personal experiences have shown me there is a Higher Power/God Force, much greater than myself. :innocent:

I do not follow a prescribed religion, although we did belong to a spiritual type church when our kids were younger, so they could experience religion, and decide for themselves.

They both 'believe' in a higher power, but neither attend a church regularly now.

The older I get, and the closer I am to the end of this incarnation, the more I feel pulled towards God. I do feel that in times of great need and pain, God has provided strength and support. :love:

AppLeo

I don't believe in religion.

BUT...

I think religion helps a lot of people because the world can really suck sometimes. It helps people connect more to their community. It gives people a duty to live up to their morals.

One thing I've noticed... In my area, there are a lot of mormons. A lot of people don't like them, but I always find them nice to be around. They're usually polite, well-dressed, and they don't drink alcohol, they don't have sex before marriage. It's just so refreshing to me.

They have a strong sense of duty, which is admirable.

I've been considering joining a church, not cuz I believe in god, but for the sole purpose of connecting with others and just feeling an unconditional sense of love...

But I don't know, we'll see :p