Minor Aspects: Quntile, Biquintile, Sesiquisquare

cosmicseeing

I am wondering, what is your perspective on minor aspects such as the Quintile, Bi-Quintile, Sesiquisquare?

Even the semisextile and inconjunct?

I ask because I have a few exact aspects with exact Quintiles, Biquintiles and Sesiquisquares. How do these planets energies coalesce? I've read before that the quintiles and such can be indicative of a special talent? And I also read the sesiquisquare, simillar to semisquares and squares can indicarte "smouldering conflict that one would prefer to ignore." according to astro.com

What do you think about these minor aspects and their significance, even if it is subtle?

Attachments

• astrologicalchart-transits.jpg
    astrologicalchart-transits.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 38

Cary2

Banned
There are many subjects in astrology that generate dispute among astrologers. Many people who dabble in astrology seem to be mostly unaware about the disputes.

There are many astrologers who never use the so-called minor aspects, or else they use a select few of them a select few of the time.

The property of aspect orb shows that no aspect is minor without considering its orb. If your chart has relatively few major aspects with close orbs, then a so-called minor aspect with a close orb will cause a major influence. Adolf Hitler's chart is a good example of that.

I've been using the so-called minor aspects for years, and I wouldn't dream of ignoring them. The minor aspects deserve a smaller orb. The quintile and biquintile are more "major" than the sextile.

I think the quintile and the biquintile are identical. They deserve a larger orb than the sextile. They are both of the Fifth Harmonic. Talent is not a bad description, but facility is a better one. They seem rather Plutonic. They are neither easy nor hard, but they can be very dangerous in some charts.

The semisquare and the sesquiquadrates (the octiles) belong to the same harmonic order, and they are essentially identical. They operate like a square, but they deserve only a much smaller orb. When they are close, they seem like the square, that is: they have the tendency to challenge or afflict.

The semi-sextile and the quincunx belong to the same harmonic, and I consider them essentially the same due to that fact. I have seen astrologers use explanations about the two that I think represent poor astrological practice and poor astrological knowledge. They cause significant strain, but they only deserve a small orb. To call a semisextile "mildly beneficial" is wrong.

Aspects are harmonics. The low-order harmonics deserve a wide orb generally. The higher order harmonics deserve more narrow orbs. Any aspect can be strengthened despite a wide orb by having an aspect to its midpoint. Some wide aspects become very significant by that action.

Last edited:

cosmicseeing

There are many subjects in astrology that generate dispute among astrologers. Many people who dabble in astrology seem to be mostly unaware about the disputes.

There are many astrologers who never use the so-called minor aspects, or else they use a select few of them a select few of the time.

The property of aspect orb shows that no aspect is minor without considering its orb. If your chart has relatively few major aspects with close orbs, then a so-called minor aspect with a close orb will cause a major influence. Adolf Hitler's chart is a good example of that.

I've been using the so-called minor aspects for years, and I wouldn't dream of ignoring them. The minor aspects deserve a smaller orb. The quintile and biquintile are more "major" than the sextile.

I think the quintile and the biquintile are identical. They deserve a larger orb than the sextile. They are both of the Fifth Harmonic. Talent is not a bad description, but facility is a better one. They seem rather Plutonic. They are neither easy nor hard, but they can be very dangerous in some charts.

The semisquare and the sesquiquadrates (the octiles) belong to the same harmonic order, and they are essentially identical. They operate like a square, but they deserve only a much smaller orb. When they are close, they seem like the square, that is: they have the tendency to challenge or afflict.

The semi-sextile and the quincunx belong to the same harmonic, and I consider them essentially the same due to that fact. I have seen astrologers use explanations about the two that I think represent poor astrological practice and poor astrological knowledge. They cause significant strain, but they only deserve a small orb. To call a semisextile "mildly beneficial" is wrong.

Aspects are harmonics. The low-order harmonics deserve a wide orb generally. The higher order harmonics deserve more narrow orbs. Any aspect can be strengthened despite a wide orb by having an aspect to its midpoint. Some wide aspects become very significant by that action.

Thank you for your response Cary2. I am interested in learning more about the 5th harmonic and interpreting the harmonic charts in general

Lin

Not sure about increasing orbs but my overall philosophy about this issue is:

If there are few major aspects, the minor aspects become more important. Aspects further define the energy operating in the area they are found. So if there's no definition and minor aspects, definitely take them seriously.

Yes, I think the Quintile is a gift and a facility....and something you just possess without having to work for it. However, you may or may not work to develop it...that is up to you.

Also, when I am mystified by a lack of activity in a certain area I definitely look to minor aspects for ''clues.''

LIN

Cary2

Banned
Let me post an example a wide aspect behaving like a close aspect.

Here is the chart of Mike Tyson. The square of Mars and Pluto is extremely descriptive of Tyson as if it were a very close aspect, but it is a wide one. In fact, the wide aspect is promoted by being a component of a T-square, yet that seems not enough to justify the square's seeming prominence. In fact, the square of Mars to Pluto/Uranus is outstandingly descriptive of Tyson and his life. To see what I mean, watch one of his fights on YouTube. "Extemely dangerous" is rather obvious.

We see that he has Mercury at the midpoint of the Mars-Pluto square, and I have seen many times that an activated midpoint will intensify an aspect as if it had a close orb.

Attachments

• Mike_Tyson_chart.jpg
    Mike_Tyson_chart.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 38

waybread

I think that quintiles (which includes bi-quintiles) are very powerful. They indicate talent plus ambition to manifest that talent.

The sesqui-square and quincunx are stressful aspects.

I don't use the semi-sextile. The major aspects are made up of multiples of 30 degrees, some easy-flowing and some-stressful, so a building-block of 30 degrees could go either way.