simple help needed wrt planet's position

imcool

Hello,

I am using cybersky astronomy software for planet's position, movements and I found that in raphael's Astronomical ephemeris book the data given in different from the cybersky astronomical software.

1. cybersky says jan11 2004 venus @ aquarius but the astronomical ephemeris I have shows that at 11 jan 2004 venus is in Aries.

2. cybersky 16feb 2004 sun @ Aquarius but ephemeris says 19 feb 2004 sun enters @ pisces.

Also there is difference in aspects data

1.cybersky says 4feb mercury 90degree mars but there is no such aspect in ephemeris before and after 4 feb.

2.cybersky says 17feb 2004 mercury 30degree Uranus but there is no such aspect in ephemeris.

**Why there is difference in both the data ???**
I am following Raphel's Astronomical ephemeris.

&
** How to find/determine the aspects from the following data through astronomy software (like cybersky)??? **
es9u94.jpg

wilsontc

Staff member
ephemeris are based on one time, to cool

cool,

You asked:
I am using cybersky astronomy software for planet's position, movements and I found that in raphael's Astronomical ephemeris book the data given in different from the cybersky astronomical software.
1. cybersky says jan11 2004 venus @ aquarius but the astronomical ephemeris I have shows that at 11 jan 2004 venus is in Aries.

2. cybersky 16feb 2004 sun @ Aquarius but ephemeris says 19 feb 2004 sun enters @ pisces.

Also there is difference in aspects data...

**Why there is difference in both the data ???** I am following Raphel's Astronomical ephemeris.

One major difference between an ephemeris and an astrological program is an ephemeris can only give the position of a planet for one time on any day, while the astrological program can give the position of a planet for a SPECIFIC time on any day.

So, for example, for the day of February 1, 2004 an ephemeris (based on the tropical zodiac) will give you ONE position for the Sun: 11 :aquarius: 27'07'". However the actual position of the :sun: will depend on what TIME it is that day. So the actual position of the :sun: on February 1, 2004 could be a little less or a little more than what the ephemeris says, depending on the time.

The astrological program, however, can give the position of the planet for ANY time on any day. So in your program if you put in February 1, 2004 11:00 AM you would get a different result than if you put in February 1, 2004 7:00 PM.

However, in your example, the different values between the astrological ephemeris and the astrological program are too large to depend on the difference between epherides and programs. The only way I think it could happen is if you were comparing different zodiacs. If, for example, your program used the tropical zodiac and your ephemeris used a different zodiac then you might get this sort of issue.

Other than that, it is more likely that you read your ephemeris wrong. A tropical zodiac ephemeris for Jan 11 2004 will put :venus: in :aquarius:, and for Feb 19 2004 will put the :sun: in :aquarius:.

The other thing is that epherides don't have aspects in them. They simply list out the degrees of each planet at a certain time on any day (as described above). Only an astrological program will calculate the aspects between programs.

An astrological program is more useful for getting specific chart data than an ephemeris, since an astrological program takes into account of specific time, which an ephemeris does not. However, ephemerides are useful if you want to see on what date a planet will reach a certain degree. The answer won't be exact (as mentioned), but it will be close enough to work with in most cases.

About ephemerides and programs,

Tim

Last edited:

docker

For that date (11/01/2004) the positions of the planet were:

Sun 20 04 52 capricorn
Moon 28 36 leo
Mercury 27 34 sagittarius
Venus 25 28 aquarius
Mars 15 18 aries
Jupiter 18 49 Retro virgo
Saturn 8 56 cancer
Uranus 0 31 pisces
Neptune 12 02 aquarius
Pluto 20 51 sagittarius

....so will be more easy for you to check the data between ephemeris and astronomy program.

Hope I helped

Last edited: