Saturn Return -- is the portent overexaggerated? Is the norotiety warranted?

Lykanized

I'm wondering first about the origins of the Saturn return conception and whether or not it's more of a purely modern thing since I hear it in the context of very modern astrological conversation quite often. I ever heard it mentioned in popular tv shows such as Parks n Recreation. I know that doesn't necessarily mean it has no relevance tho or there's no depth to the theory

What are y'all's experiences with your Saturn Return(s)?

Obviously it's soaked in notoriety, but is it all bad? One woman described it at a point where if you haven't been listening to your spirit warriors and guides or your own higher self, haven't quite been doing what you should be doing for your own damned sake, staying on your path of growth, it will hit you really hard. But does that mean someone could possibly have a positive experience with their Saturn return?

In my case, I love harsh lessons and I even love pain, so I wonder how my first Saturn return will go if I tend to thrive off of those things. I don't fully understand Saturn yet and therefor don't fully understand the return, but I want to. I'm very very curious!

Cary2

Banned
My experience with Saturn Return is limited, but I know a little about the source of its fame. My own Saturn Return was difficult, but my life has been difficult, and my Saturn is prepared natally to give me grief from transits. So, I don’t think my personal experience helps to answer the questions. Solar Arc Saturn crossing my natal Ascendant was far, far worse.

Rob Hand is the primary expert on such things, but Saturn Return is just a part of his scheme. Hand has much to say about the whole Saturn cycle. Every seven years or so, Saturn makes a hard aspect to its natal position. He sees every cycle, from one return to the next, as a series of stations. Seven years after the Saturn Return there is a Saturn/Saturn square. Hand sees this as a critical step in the process of working toward your next Saturn return. It is essentially the journey of maturity. If you have worked on your maturity, then each station will be less traumatic. If maturity is an area where you are deficient, then your experience will be more grievous.

Rob Hand’s work has been helpful to me in general, and he has an enviable reputation, but Saturn cycle material has not been important to me or my practice.

Last edited:

CapAquaPis

From my Saturn return in late fall 2009 (my b-day Feb 15, 1980 when it was in Virgo) to its transit from Scorpio to Sagittarius in Jan 2015 (the last time was in Nov 1985), I had 6 years of lower income accumulation, financial issues and some credit card debt. I suppose having a natal Saturn in Virgo then transits to Libra (Saturn can be stronger in Libra than one expects) and finally in a malefic sign Scorpio can be a spell of bad luck for about 5 years. As a child in my first 6 years of my life (1980-end of Dec 1986), I witnessed my parents' marriage went downhill to their divorce and other issues to heavily affected my family.

Cypocryphy

As you can see it's all relative. Some people have phenomenal Saturn returns. I'm trying to think of an example off the top of my head. Well, Brad Pitt, for example, did not hit stardom until after his Saturn Return.

I would have to do some research on this as nothing is coming to my mind at the moment. I will say this—more often than not its caca for the several years surrounding it.

The basic principle is that you are an adult, not by any society's terms, not by family/tribe terms/ not by any terms other than that of the universe itself. If you've been "kiddin' around" for the last 28 years, yeah, you're going to be hating it. Say good-bye to friends and other tribal elements. Job wise. In a lot of areas, but it is very personal.

Just know that you are forced to "adult" and if that's something that when you think of you cringe at, then you'll be on your back, looking up at the planet or ....

"Saturn comes back around to show you everything
Let's you choose what you will not see and then
Drags you down like a stone or lifts you up again
Spits you out like a child, light and innocent

Saturn comes back around. Lifts you up like a child
Or drags you down like a stone
To consume you 'til you
Choose to let this go
Choose to let this go"
~ Maynard

Chrysalis

My saturn return happened in my 8th house, i had to move cities due to a physical violence from an ex. I basically ran away from him, changed my number and have never had contact with him since that day. Saturn was just under 2 degrees away. The rest of the saturn return was spent settling into my new city and getting a place of my own etc.

Its funny how it happened too, as months prior to this, i'd been wanting to leave the city i was living in (my birth place), but i didn't know where to move to. I wasn't happy where i was with too many bad memories, and the place was dragging me down, but i felt stuck with being able to do an actual move.

It was the saturn return incident, that gave me the push forward to actually do the move.

A friend of mine is going through her saturn return as of now. Two weeks ago her Nan (who she was really close to) died. Saturn was/is exactly conjunct her natal saturn in her 1st house, trine her 8th house moon.