difference between progression and transit charts?

noouraz2

please help........

what is the difference between progression chart and transit chart :crying:Im lost

aniani

Transits happen all year around as planets move all the time and they show how a transiting planet can affect you at a particular period of time.

Progressed chart happens slower. The sun moves a degree a year. So it could be anywhere between 2-30 years before it moves into the next sign. The moon moves a degree in a month so it is in the same sign around 2 and half years.

I am sure if you google, there would be many articles to help you better understand the difference between progressions and transits in a natal chart.

ukdesifem

transits pertain to current events in one's life. Natal positions are fixed for life You could live for 200 years even, and it would still be the same.

Transits in the houses represent new events and ongoing events.

Progressions are about mental states, and how these develop over time.

ukdesifem

Progressions show how people develop over time. So if a person has natal Sun in Virgo, and Progressed Sun at 45 years in Scorpio, then they were born as a practical and diligent person, changed into a level-headed person (Libra) and are now a more passionate, darker, and purposeful person (Scorpio).

Osamenor

Staff member
Progressions show how people develop over time. So if a person has natal Sun in Virgo, and Progressed Sun at 45 years in Scorpio, then they were born as a practical and diligent person, changed into a level-headed person (Libra) and are now a more passionate, darker, and purposeful person (Scorpio).

It's not that simple. Sun sign manifests in lots of different ways, and progressed sun doesn't change your original sun sign, just puts another layer on top of it. In the above example, the chart native is always a Virgo. They will be best fulfilling their purpose, and experiencing personal growth, when they are developing and perfecting some kind of skill. It might be an art form, it might be a job kind of skill, it might be a sport or martial art, it might be just something they do day to day.

Being practical and analytical is how Virgo achieves its skill perfection, although it doesn't always show in their visible personality. Some Virgos just put all their practicality into their private development.

When the progressed sun transits to Libra, a Libra message gets layered on top of that Virgo. In this example, the sun would progress to Libra when the native is about 15. They would still be a Virgo, they would still think in a Virgo way, and they would still need that Virgo kind of development, but now there would be something Libran about it. Maybe they develop an interest in the arts. Maybe they were using their Virgo-ness to be a high achieving student, and now they turn their academic interests to medicine or psychology or law. Maybe they experience a shift in how they relate to others.

When the progressed sun transits to Scorpio, there would be a Scorpio layer on top of all that. Again, the native is still a Virgo, and they're still about self development through perfecting a skill, but now they need to work that skill on a deeper level. Depth, and stripping away the superficial pleasantries of Libra, is a Scorpio message. Maybe something with a Scorpio theme emerges: they had been a writer of novels, and now they turn to writing murder mysteries. Or, they had been a psychoanalyst, and now they learn hypnotherapy and add that to their practice.

The purpose of using progressions is to reflect life. We don't stay the same our entire lives, but the astrological chart for our moment of birth doesn't change. Progressions reflect, in a very broad way, the kinds of changes that we go through.

Another use for progressions is seeing which transits are most likely to manifest in our lives. If a transit is echoed by a progression, its effects will be felt much more strongly than if it is not. For example, let's say that a chart has transiting Mars conjunct the natal moon, while the progressed moon is entering Aries and forming a trine to progressed Mars. Something with a moon/Mars theme is highly likely to happen, and happen in a very noticeable way.

If it were the same Mars conjunction to the natal moon without any echo in the progressions, it would manifest in a small way. Maybe there would be an argument with a family member that quickly blows over. Maybe the native would enjoy a competitive card game with Mom. With an echo in the progressed chart, it's going to be much bigger. Not just a competitive and enjoyable card game, maybe constant one-upmanship within the family comes to a boiling point. Or some such thing.

noouraz2

Osamenor

THANK YOU SO MUCH I really appreciate it I'm understanding the concept now

but please do you know anything about solar revolution can you explain it ? :crying:

JUPITERASC

why people use progression chart ????????

Im still lost
UNDERSTANDING PROGRESSIONS http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=223562#post223562 :smile:
A lot of people seem to have problems understanding progressions.

The progressed Planets are nothing more than very very slow moving transits.
Progressions are very internal in nature, meaning they're more likely to affect you mentally than physically.
That doesn't mean progressions don't affect you physically, they can, for example a Planet progressing into the 6th House or the 6th House Ruler progressing into the 8th
or 12th House or into certain aspects with the rulers of the 6th, 8th or 12th Houses can signify an illness.

Progressions are something you do maybe once in your life
all you need is a list of your Planets and the Ascendant and MC,
and an ephemeris,
which you should buy, but you can also find them online
. http://khaldea.com/ephemeris/

9000 YEAR FREE ONLINE EPHEMERIS at http://www.astro.com/swisseph/swepha_e.htm

An ephemeris will look something like this:

Date............Sun....... Moon..... Mercury...Venus
May 26 1962 04°Ge28' 26°Aq47' 20°Ge23' 03°Cn43'
May 27 1962 05°Ge25' 10°Pi51' 20°Ge22' R 04°Cn55'
May 28 1962 06°Ge23' 25°Pi05' 20°Ge16' 06°Cn07'
May 29 1962 07°Ge21' 09°Ar25' 20°Ge05' 07°Cn19'

The symbolism is "day-for-a-year"
so each day after your birthday is one year of your life.

Generally, you want to look at 120 days, which is 120 years of your life.
Yes, I know you're not going to live 120 years, but none of you are special.
When you die, the Solar System does not grind to a halt; it continues moving.
Your chart lives on, even after you die.

There are somethings you might want to know about. Is your Will contested? Does your Estate end up in Probate Court?
Does the government seize your Estate? Do your children fight over it? Does your spouse remarry?
Maybe you want to comeback and haunt your spouse (or protect your spouse).
Do your children marry, divorce, have more children, do your grandchildren marry etc.

Will you receive any awards or accolades, or publish a book?
No kidding, a guy in Australia found his grandfather's diary of life in the trenches during World War I.
He published it.
Guess what?
It showed up in the progressions of the grandfather's natal chart.

Here's a snippet from my progressions (sorry the formatting is less than desirable):

Natal .. Position.. Action.. Age.. Date .. ..........Location .. Contact
Venus.. 04°Cn39' Sign .....19 ....Jun 13 1962... 25°Cn14'.. 9th House
Saturn .11°Aq22' Square ..19 ... Jun 13 1962 ...11°Ta17'.. Mars
Neptune 11°Sc29' Opp .....19.... Jun 13 1962 ... 11°Ta17' Mars
Mars 28°Ar29' ...Square ...22 ....Jun 16 1962 .... 28°Cn47' Venus
Uranus 28°Le37' Qu .........22 ....Jun 16 1962..... 28°Cn47' Venus
Venus 04°Cn39' Sign .......23 .....Jun 17 1962..... 29°Cn58' Leo
Mercury 20°Ge22' D ........26...... Jun 20 1962 .....11°Ge52' D Mercury
Mars 28°Ar29' Sextile ......26 ......Jun 20 1962 .....28°Ge23' Sun
Uranus 28°Le37' Sextile ....26 ..... Jun 20 1962 .... 28°Ge23' Sun
Venus 04°Cn39' SSx........ 27 ......Jun 21 1962...... 04°Le41' Venus
Sun 05°Ge13' Con........... 28 ...... Jun 22 1962 .... 05°Le52' Venus
Sun 05°Ge13' Sign ..........28 ....... Jun 22 1962..... 00°Cn18' Sign
Jupiter 10°Pi38' SSx ........28....... Jun 22 1962...... 10°Aq38' Saturn
Moon 07°Pi41' Qu ..........29....... Jun 23 1962 ...... 07°Le03' Venus
Pluto 07°Vi32' Con ........29 ...... Jun 23 1962....... 07°Le03' Venus
MC 01°Vi31' Sextile...... 29 ........Jun 23 1962....... 01°Cn15' Sun

All I've done is write out the year in which there is some contact with progressed Planets.

At age 19, my natal Venus progressed to conjunct the 9th House Cusp at 25° Cancer.

How do you interpret that?

The 9th House Cusp is Cancer ruled by my Moon in my natal 4th House. What is the 9th House?
Among things, it's long journeys. 4th House is the home.

I left the United States and didn't return for about 10 years.

See? It ain't so hard.

At age 23 my Venus progressed into the Sign of Leo.
I got married. Because Venus progressed into Leo? Not entirely.
My natal Mercury was Stationary in the natal 7th House, then it went Retrograde and then it went direct at age 26.
In reality, I was actually 25 1/2 years old when Mercury went Direct in my 7th House of Relationships.

That is one of the advantages of writing out your progressions.
When you see something like that, natal Venus progressed into the 9th House then into the Sign of Leo while Mercury goes Direct,
you want to actually do a chart for that time period and then also look at the transits so you can get a sense of the timing (in this case transiting Moon conjunct Ascendant).

When I was 28, natal Sun changed Signs and entered Cancer.
Did I become a Cancer?
No, but I did take on some of the traits of Cancer.
I became more sensitive, very emotional and extremely traditional, plus I took on a few of the negative characteristics,
like brooding and being way too cautious, but then I was suffering from PTSD and the effects were starting to manifest themselves in a serious way.

When my Ascendant progressed into Sagittarius, I did not become a Sagittarius, but I did take on a few traits,
like being really straightforward, to the point of being very blunt, and also broadminded and quite the procrastinator.

Natal .... Position .. Action ....Age... Date ............ Location .. Contact
Asc...... 20°Sc43' ..Sextile ....90 .... Aug 23 1962 ...20°Vi41' ... Mercury
Sun..... 05°Ge13' .. Sign .......91 .... Aug 24 1962... 00°Vi33' ....Virgo
MC ......01°Vi31' ....Sextile.... 91 .... Aug 24 1962 .. 01°Cn06'... Mars
Sun.... 05°Ge13'.... House .... 92..... Aug 25 1962 .. 01°Vi31' ...10th House
MC ......01°Vi31'..... Con .......92 .... Aug 25 1962... 01°Vi31' ... Sun

There's where I exit stage left. Not because of those particular progressions, mind you, but because of that and other things going on with transits and the Anareta wants to Tango.

The other benefit to writing out your progressions is
that if you don't know the houses, signs, elements and natures (and that would be about 80% of you), then you will when you're done.
The elements trine, the natures oppose and square, sextiles are always Fire/Air or Earth/Water etc.

I recommend using some of the minor aspects, like the quincunx, semi-sextile and semi-square.

Often in your life you might notice periods where your relationship with your children, spouse, parents, friends, co-workers or supervisors is a little testy and irritating.
I guarantee you'll always find a semi-sextile or semi-square there.
And the advantage of knowing that in advance is that you can take a "time-out," give yourself a "yellow card," take a different approach or do other things to make your life and everyone else's more pleasant.

Aspect orbs for progressions are 30' to 1° maximum.
In addition to aspects, Planets changing Signs, Houses or going Direct or Retrograde are very important to note.
For Planets that go Direct or Retrograde, flip ahead in the ephemeris and look to see if any transiting Planets are conjunct that point,
because it will be emphasized.
The same is true if a progressed Planet goes Direct or Retrograde at the pre-natal eclipses or the last Moon before birth
(which will either be a Full Moon or a New Moon).

What if a progressed Planet goes Direct or Retrograde at the same point where there is a transiting Eclipse or New/Full Moon for that month?
I don't know, but note it and look at it in detail later.
You can ignore Lunar Eclipses after 3 months,
but for Solar Eclipses it'll depend on the nature of the Sign (ie 3 months for Cardinal, 6 months for Mutable and 12 months for Fixed).

After you make your list or table, look at past events
and see if you can make sense of them.
As I said, not everything will manifest itself in a way that you can physically see.
Once you get a feel for past events, you can start looking at future events.

JUPITERASC

I've never heard of solar revolution. Do you mean solar return?
that's because "a solar Return" is a modern term

In fact 2000 years ago the modern "solar return" was known as "The Solar Revolution"
:smile:

Benjamin Dykes has translated a book on Solar Revolutions
Persian Nativities III

• Most complete translation available
  • Extensive Introduction explaining predictive methods
  • Profections, transits, distributions, firdariyyat, solar revolutions, ninth-parts, and more available at http://www.bendykes.com/persians.php