Dream of a snake

tee_jay66

Please can anybody help unravel my nightmare about a snake?

Its only been occurring recently within the last week and is pretty scary.

I dream Im given my snake to hold but it has become much much bigger than I remember. Im holding it and it is about 4ft long and a wide girth.

Im frightened as it seems angry and normally it is docile in my memory. When no-one is looking I try to throw it away into my living room which is amass with clutter and overturned furniture. The snake bites me and holds on with his teeth,. I fear Im going to die but I manage to shake it off and it has grown bigger and scurries away into the debris of my living room. I glance to see my hand has not been pierced by the snakes fangs and Im ok.

I go into another room because I know the snake is after me and he jumps in mid air and lands in the kitchen beside me. But the kitchen is awash with overturned furniture and he hides.

I cant remember much more, but there is a sense of panic that the snake is going to kill me.

Just to say that Im not having a sexual relationship and have no desire for one in my daily life. I have started going back to a good christian church after a few years away and have regained my love for Jesus.

Anyone think it is a demonic attack? as Im also having other night terrors recently and auditory hallucinations and intrusive thoughts all when Im asleep since I started going back to church?

This isint necessarily a religious thread.....but any ideas on the dream and what Ive said would help, many thanks

bubuza_dulce

I am sorry to hear what you've been going through. This is the only reason I am answering you so don't get upset with me in case you don't agree with what I am going to say.

I think the fact that you have returned to the church after a few years has a lot to do with it. What you do probably (though I don't know your other ideas) is split the world in "right" and "wrong". And that includes you. There is a part of yourself that you treat as "bad", "evil" even.
This is how you see yourself - the snake. If you have gone to church after an absence it may show that you needed faith, things have happened and determined you to search faith. And also after returning you feel (in a conscious manner or not) guilty for the years you have spent away from the church doing possibly "wrong" things, on the "wrong" path.

I am not saying you should not make any difference between right and wrong or you shouldn't go to the church.
Do whatever you feel like doing but you should not separate yourself into a right and a wrong part and shun the latter. Your self doesn't care about right or wrong, it wants to exist and be accepted. Don't cut yourself in two, this is a lie anyway, you'll always be whole whether you realize it or not.

It seems as a demonic attack to you because these are your present beliefs. If you stop looking at some thing as "demonic" but you consider them rather a manifestation of this universe, just like you and me, they'll be easier to cope with.

So I suppose the snake signifies some repressed feelings, you judging yourself as "evil", the suffering you've gone through maybe in the years before the church, your fear of the dark things you believe in. It is in strong connection with sex also. If you feel no desire of having sex then of course you don't have to do it but your dream may tell you there is a lot of energy stuck at that level and you'll have to find a way to deal with that.

And the rooms in your home were filled with furniture - lots of "baggage"?

My advice would be to stop splitting the world in good and evil and try to see it as it presents itself to you. Don't judge yourself but be forgiving (that would be in the spirit of the church also) and if things get too much for you to handle go get help.

I wish you all the best!

tee_jay66

I am sorry to hear what you've been going through. This is the only reason I am answering you so don't get upset with me in case you don't agree with what I am going to say.

I think the fact that you have returned to the church after a few years has a lot to do with it. What you do probably (though I don't know your other ideas) is split the world in "right" and "wrong". And that includes you. There is a part of yourself that you treat as "bad", "evil" even.
This is how you see yourself - the snake. If you have gone to church after an absence it may show that you needed faith, things have happened and determined you to search faith. And also after returning you feel (in a conscious manner or not) guilty for the years you have spent away from the church doing possibly "wrong" things, on the "wrong" path.

I am not saying you should not make any difference between right and wrong or you shouldn't go to the church.
Do whatever you feel like doing but you should not separate yourself into a right and a wrong part and shun the latter. Your self doesn't care about right or wrong, it wants to exist and be accepted. Don't cut yourself in two, this is a lie anyway, you'll always be whole whether you realize it or not.

It seems as a demonic attack to you because these are your present beliefs. If you stop looking at some thing as "demonic" but you consider them rather a manifestation of this universe, just like you and me, they'll be easier to cope with.

So I suppose the snake signifies some repressed feelings, you judging yourself as "evil", the suffering you've gone through maybe in the years before the church, your fear of the dark things you believe in. It is in strong connection with sex also. If you feel no desire of having sex then of course you don't have to do it but your dream may tell you there is a lot of energy stuck at that level and you'll have to find a way to deal with that.

And the rooms in your home were filled with furniture - lots of "baggage"?

My advice would be to stop splitting the world in good and evil and try to see it as it presents itself to you. Don't judge yourself but be forgiving (that would be in the spirit of the church also) and if things get too much for you to handle go get help.

I wish you all the best!

Thankyou for your reply. Can you tell me where you get the 'right' and 'wrong' angle from please. Im not sure I understand clearly what you mean. I dont judge myself as having a wrong or evil side and never have done as Im very forgiving and compassionate even to myself.
I dont judge the world either, though I have chosen to live away from the material greed and power of the world (in a sense Ive withdrawn into simple living and only having certain people in my life that arent a negative influence for me.

I certainly dont feel I have baggage as I feel Ive dealt with that and left it behind. I chose not to be in a sexual relationship and very happy with my simplisitic lifestyle. I may be a christian but I dont judge other religions or faiths, I think there is a place for all religions (I am an astrologer also)!

Can you explain more about what the snake represents and why it grows and bites me and becomes menacing?

also why is the kitchen over run with upside down furniture? is that baggage also?

sorry to ask, Im just very interested in this dream as Im happier in my life more than I have ever been....but the dream analysis has turned out almost negative. Am I wrong?

bubuza_dulce

I cant remember much more, but there is a sense of panic that the snake is going to kill me.

Anyone think it is a demonic attack? as Im also having other night terrors recently and auditory hallucinations and intrusive thoughts all when Im asleep since I started going back to church?
And then you say "I'm happier in my life more than I have ever been"

I'm sorry but I thought happiness means something else.

That's why I asked you not to be mad at me. You mentioned - terror, panic, demonic attacks, hallucinations, thoughts you can't control (intrusive) and then you seem surprised I had a negative interpretation?

There are two options. Either you are truly happy, like you say in your last post, and then you should sleep fine, or the dream(s) reflect your subconscious life and that means, well that means your two posts cannot be true at the same time.

JUPITERASC

I dream Im given my snake to hold but it has become much much bigger than I remember. Im holding it and it is about 4ft long and a wide girth.

Im frightened as it seems angry and normally it is docile in my memory. When no-one is looking I try to throw it away into my living room which is amass with clutter and overturned furniture. The snake bites me and holds on with his teeth,. I fear Im going to die but I manage to shake it off and it has grown bigger and scurries away into the debris of my living room. I glance to see my hand has not been pierced by the snakes fangs and Im ok.

I go into another room because I know the snake is after me and he jumps in mid air and lands in the kitchen beside me. But the kitchen is awash with overturned furniture and he hides.

Just to say that Im not having a sexual relationship and have no desire for one in my daily life. I have started going back to a good christian church after a few years away and have regained my love for Jesus.

This isint necessarily a religious thread.....but any ideas on the dream and what Ive said would help, many thanks
"To see or be bitten by a snake in your dream signifies hidden fears and worries threatening you. Your dream may be alerting you to something in your waking life that you are unaware of/that has not yet surfaced."

"The snake may symbolize temptation, dangerous and forbidden sexuality. You may be inexperienced, nervous or just unable to keep up. If you are afraid of the snake, then it signifies your fears of sex, intimacy or commitment. The snake may also refer to a person around you who is callous, ruthless, and can't be trusted."

"As a positive symbol, snakes represent healing, transformation, knowledge and wisdom. It is indicative of self-renewal and positive change. To see the skin of a snake in your dream represents protection from illnesses". :smile:

Meanings by Dream Moods http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/s3.htm

Fragoso

Ok... There is nothing of extraordinary in dreams... No demons, no spirits: nothing. Dreams are just projections of our unconscious. :whistling:

Well, I studied psychology, and according to it when you are dreaming our mind cover the dreams. So when you woke up and you remember dreaming with 'X', in fact you were dreaming with 'Y', but your mind covered/masked it in order for you to think that you are a good person.

So, all of our dreams are nothing but illusions and symbols, whose true meaning is always hidden.

There are some universal symbols that can be applied to every person: for example, dreaming with water - it is a cover/mask for sex; dreaming with a king - cover for dad; dreaming with a queen - cover for mother, etc... Some symbols depends on our life experiences.

Dreaming with snakes- it is a cover for male sexual organ (along with car, planes, ...) Look what you say:

I dream Im given my snake to hold but it has become much much bigger than I remember
Just to say that Im not having a sexual relationship and have no desire for one in my daily life.

Anyone think it is a demonic attack?

Nop, there is no demon there. :biggrin: It's just a sexual fear... Perhaps you should look for experts help, cause you might facing some huge troubles due to the sexual sphere.. and in dreams your mind cover them as a snake in order to you don't have a direct access to the subconscious; 2. It makes you blame and feel like you are facing 'devil' - which is nothing but your own devils.

I have started going back to a good christian church after a few years away and have regained my love for Jesus.

It looks like your mind has pulling your leg, and put some blame in order for you to 'punish' something that is absolutely normal for humans.:rightful:

Hope this might help,
Fragoso

Caro

As snakes shed their skin to develop and grow, they are often seen as signs of transformation. also seen as a link between the spirit and earth worlds.

so perhaps you are undergoing some sort of transformation and it is BIG! The urge to reconnect with your spiritual side in the way you have chosen.

and your subconscious is a bit scared. coming to light in your dreams. :ninja:

Ion

A 'snake' is one of the three symbols of Scorpio . . . scorpion , snake and eagle.

A snake is a symbol of 'healing' , presumably because it can be put-into many 'postures' . . . it is 'mutable'.

The constellation of Ophiuchus , The Serpent Bearer , is above the constellation of Scorpio . https://www.google.com/search?q=Oph...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

My belief is that 'the serpent' had something to do with 'the mess' (you described) . . . and the need to clean it up .

Best regards,
Ion

Last edited:

Mark

tee_jay66: I agree with what has been given so far, especially as put by bubuza_dulce. I'll start only with the content of the original post. There are two important themes that stick out: sex and recently joining a church. These stick out because the mind of the dreamer (you) has associated them with the dream. This doesn't directly provide a meaning, but it does provide a context. The meaning comes in the interpretation.

In speaking of images, if your house is cluttered, then your self is cluttered. There are many nooks and crannies in your mind where pieces of you can hide. As made evident in the dream, there are times when you even want to throw part of yourself into the pile and let it hide beneath the disarray. I don't know about your personal motivations, but it seems to me that your decision "not to be in a sexual relationship" basically translates to denying your sexuality. The snake can easily represent libido and I assume that you associate a moral value (good or bad) with your libido. When you look down through the image of cleanliness that you've made for yourself, you see that the snake (the self that you deny) still exists. In fact, it seems bigger than ever and you're afraid of it. So, you toss it toward the pile and hope it will hide itself.

I'm not saying that you should become sexually active, but I am saying that abstinence and discipline are not the same thing. Humans are sexual creatures. Sex is a necessary part of our continuation and therefore it is built into every human being. Labeling that sexual self as "evil," "wrong," or even just "dirty" is an insult to the self and to humanity. I assume that church and religion had much to do with this labeling in the first place, so it makes perfect sense that joining a new church might trigger this conflict to come to the foreground.

Again, I do not know your personal motivations, but when you say, "Im not having a sexual relationship and have no desire for one in my daily life," what you seem to mean is, "I have decided that I will identify myself as an asexual creature." You can choose how to act, but you can't choose whether or not to be human, and humans are sexual creatures. This dream arises from a conflict between what you want to believe you are and what you actually are.

P.S. If you feel unclear about the morality of sex, pray and ask for guidance. The Living Spirit outweighs the scriptures.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Ok... There is nothing of extraordinary in dreams... No demons, no spirits: nothing. Dreams are just projections of our unconscious. :whistling: Well, I studied psychology, and according to it when you are dreaming our mind cover the dreams. So when you woke up and you remember dreaming with 'X', in fact you were dreaming with 'Y', but your mind covered/masked it in order for you to think that you are a good person.

So, all of our dreams are nothing but illusions and symbols, whose true meaning is always hidden.

There are some universal symbols that can be applied to every person: for example, dreaming with water - it is a cover/mask for sex; dreaming with a king - cover for dad; dreaming with a queen - cover for mother, etc... Some symbols depends on our life experiences. Dreaming with snakes- it is a cover for male sexual organ (along with car, planes, ...) Look what you say: Nop, there is no demon there. :biggrin: It's just a sexual fear... Perhaps you should look for experts help, cause you might facing some huge troubles due to the sexual sphere.. and in dreams your mind cover them as a snake in order to you don't have a direct access to the subconscious; 2. It makes you blame and feel like you are facing 'devil' - which is nothing but your own devils.

It looks like your mind has pulling your leg, and put some blame in order for you to 'punish' something that is absolutely normal for humans.:rightful:
Hope this might help, Fragoso

Fragosi has commented that dreams are also symbolic:smile:

Dreaming of throwing something shows you need to rid yourself of someone/something from your life. (i.e. 'a snake') Alternatively, the dream may be a pun that you are "throwing" or fixing a game or situation: are you 'secretly' working against the objective?

Dreaming of being bitten shows vulnerability & perhaps unresolved issues/emotions & recurring problems or obstacles. The dream metaphor could indicate “you have bitten off more than you can chew”.

This could perhaps be a symbol that you have "too much to handle".

Dreaming of a bite could also symbolise danger from someone perhaps wishing you physical/financial harm. Clutter in your dream advises you to clean up/organize aspects of your life. Do you need to "let go of the past?"
Dreaming of being threatened shows internalized fear/feelings of inadequacy/oppression

IMO dream symbols are personal to the individual
-
"D
ream dictionaries" are a great resource to assist in deciphering many dream symbols - many of which are common knowledge http://www.dreammoods.com/

dr. farr

Do you remember the date when you had the first snake nightmare?

retinoid

My guess is you have a problem in your life that you need to get situated. Snake is problem-can't escape from it-clutter demonstrates that you have too many things going on in your life with very little organization.

Caro

The snake is also a phallic symbol. :pinched:

and you are seeing this snake in a certain way.

could be a rise of the kundalini energy.(some describe their spiritual awakening as orgasmic) or as you develop a spiritual practice you need to remember your roots/basic needs.

chucky

..or maybe you should be careful in people that you have just met. They often connote snakes to traitor right?

Last edited:

tee_jay66

tee_jay66: I agree with what has been given so far, especially as put by bubuza_dulce. I'll start only with the content of the original post. There are two important themes that stick out: sex and recently joining a church. These stick out because the mind of the dreamer (you) has associated them with the dream. This doesn't directly provide a meaning, but it does provide a context. The meaning comes in the interpretation.

In speaking of images, if your house is cluttered, then your self is cluttered. There are many nooks and crannies in your mind where pieces of you can hide. As made evident in the dream, there are times when you even want to throw part of yourself into the pile and let it hide beneath the disarray. I don't know about your personal motivations, but it seems to me that your decision "not to be in a sexual relationship" basically translates to denying your sexuality. The snake can easily represent libido and I assume that you associate a moral value (good or bad) with your libido. When you look down through the image of cleanliness that you've made for yourself, you see that the snake (the self that you deny) still exists. In fact, it seems bigger than ever and you're afraid of it. So, you toss it toward the pile and hope it will hide itself.

I'm not saying that you should become sexually active, but I am saying that abstinence and discipline are not the same thing. Humans are sexual creatures. Sex is a necessary part of our continuation and therefore it is built into every human being. Labeling that sexual self as "evil," "wrong," or even just "dirty" is an insult to the self and to humanity. I assume that church and religion had much to do with this labeling in the first place, so it makes perfect sense that joining a new church might trigger this conflict to come to the foreground.

Again, I do not know your personal motivations, but when you say, "Im not having a sexual relationship and have no desire for one in my daily life," what you seem to mean is, "I have decided that I will identify myself as an asexual creature." You can choose how to act, but you can't choose whether or not to be human, and humans are sexual creatures. This dream arises from a conflict between what you want to believe you are and what you actually are.

P.S. If you feel unclear about the morality of sex, pray and ask for guidance. The Living Spirit outweighs the scriptures.

Hi Mark
thank you for your reply which was interesting reading. The reason I| mentioned sex in my first mail was that, I expected everybody to jump at the phallic meaning of the snake. I wanted to say that it was not part of my longings in life.

Truth is Iv had plenty of relationships over the years and no church dictates to me whether I have sex or not as Im open minded to all faiths and belief systems. Its never been an issue.

The fact is that Ive never been a sexual person, never really been interested in that pleasure. You say among others that 'sex' is completely natural............but there are people who prefer to connect on other levels with their partner. I have more of a mind and spirit connection over an physical side.

Why would I be denying myself? If ive never been fussed on sex, that is not something dysfunctional in my human nature. We are all individuals. Maybe Im rising above my lower energy body states which I believe I am and reaching higher levels?

tee_jay66

As snakes shed their skin to develop and grow, they are often seen as signs of transformation. also seen as a link between the spirit and earth worlds.

so perhaps you are undergoing some sort of transformation and it is BIG! The urge to reconnect with your spiritual side in the way you have chosen.

and your subconscious is a bit scared. coming to light in your dreams. :ninja:

thankyou Caro

at last someone who is not just looking at the sexual side of things ha ha........yes I really do believe I am growing in my walk and advancing my soul! here's hoping :biggrin:

tee_jay66

Ok... There is nothing of extraordinary in dreams... No demons, no spirits: nothing. Dreams are just projections of our unconscious. :whistling:

Well, I studied psychology, and according to it when you are dreaming our mind cover the dreams. So when you woke up and you remember dreaming with 'X', in fact you were dreaming with 'Y', but your mind covered/masked it in order for you to think that you are a good person.

There are some universal symbols that can be applied to every person: for example, dreaming with water - it is a cover/mask for sex; dreaming with a king - cover for dad; dreaming with a queen - cover for mother, etc... Some symbols depends on our life experiences.

Dreaming with snakes- it is a cover for male sexual organ (along with car, planes, ...) Look what you say:

Nop, there is no demon there. :biggrin: It's just a sexual fear... Perhaps you should look for experts help, cause you might facing some huge troubles due to the sexual sphere.. and in dreams your mind cover them as a snake in order to you don't have a direct access to the subconscious; 2. It makes you blame and feel like you are facing 'devil' - which is nothing but your own devils.

Hope this might help,
Fragoso

thanks for your reply but why are people so obsessed by sex? ha ha

I can honestly say that it holds no interest for me and never has done. That does not mean there is something wrong with my human nature. Most sexual acts have left me feeling less that satisfied to say the very least....even invaded or more alone than ever!....I think its highly over rated.

You may have an idea about how sex should feel, but Ive always been more than disappointed with the act......so maybe the 'sex' thing is more to do with intimacy than the 'act' itself

This is something more relevant I think..........because I do fear intimacy on a deeper level and at the same time really want it...but no human on earth can give me that intimacy that I need or want and never has been able to and thats why I turn to God because I have an intimacy with him that no fleshly person can give..........

wow Ive just discovered something about myself....actually, thankyou for listening to my musing s here! its actually about INTIMACY, not the physical act of SEX

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

..or maybe you should be careful in people that you have just met. They often connote snakes to traitor right?
Nice one chucky! "A snake in the clutter" as a variation from "the snake in the grass?" A treacherous person concealed in the clutter of your life aka metaphorical living room!:smile:

Noun - 'snake in the grass' - a deceitful or treacherous person

source: online dictionary definition

tee_jay66

My guess is you have a problem in your life that you need to get situated. Snake is problem-can't escape from it-clutter demonstrates that you have too many things going on in your life with very little organization.

Im more confused now about this dream as I have a very simple life style as in there arent many people in it. I dont really have friends as Im a loner at heart.

Men do want to date me but Im not interested in dating or meeting anyone as my heart isin't in it.

I love being alone and really dont know what A) my baggage could be? B) what is hiding in my subconscious? and C) what is all the mess I need to clean up in my life.

My mind isin't showing me what I need to know and Im more confused than ever now..................how do I find out what needs to be sorted out?