Mars-Saturn Opposition in Synastry

ceres76

I have a friend who seems to seriously consider marrying this guy she met not so very long ago. We once went out together with another couple, and I got a good impression of him. He seems nice enough, has a good sense of humor (in MY book, that’s a must!), and he’s obviously doting on her. So far so good. I told her I would do their synastry chart (I mean, why not -- they seemed to mesh well!), and now I see to my consternation that they have a Mars-Saturn opposition! Both ways!! I’m kind of thrown by this. I asked her (without telling her why) if she has the feeling that they might eventually clamp down on each other and try to smother the other’s energy and drive. She said, absolutely not. (What was I thinking – she is on Cloud 9!)

I have checked all the couples' charts I have stored, to see if anyone has this aspect, but none of them do.

On the other hand, maybe it's really nothing considering that hey have some really nice things going on, like a Sun/Moon trine, and a Sun-Jupiter trine, and what some call the Cinderella aspect, her Venus conj. his Chiron, and his Venus trine her Chiron. Also, her Neptune conj. his Venus, and her Venus opp. his Pluto. (This last one could keep them busy for years, lol...) Could all of this alleviate the strain of those Mars-Saturn oppositions??

I haven’t told her anything about what I found yet. Would you?

I ought to mention, I am not that close. to her. We have, at times, told each other our woes, but never in great detail. She is not someone I rely on to give ME advice, and, if memory serves, unsolicited advice by well-meaning friends usually falls on deaf ears anyway when there is a budding love involved.

ceres76

deanna

[FONT=&quot]Greetings!

Just a side note but my thoughts are that the Composite Chart and the Davison Relationship Chart should be considered as well for reviewing relationships. I hope this helps!

Best Regards,
-De
[/FONT]*******
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. ~Thornton Wilder[/FONT]

ceres76

Hi Deanna,

they have the Mars - Saturn opp. there too, in composite and Davison. ALso Moon - Mars opp. Oh well.

ceres76

flea

Sometimes I think with such good aspecty things and the mac truck of saturn-mars opp, there could be a lesson to learn out of the mars sat opposition that they are unable to learn anyother way. Like the universe is conspiring to bring the learing to them.

Compelled to be together, but have to learn some really hard lessons. Both people probably have problems with authority. Either imposing too much or expecting to much from someone, or in reverse allowing any authority figure to remove self power and motivation.

Advising them to look at authority issues in each of their own individual charts and also how they use self power might be a good idea. So both are clear about their own issues before they started projecting their own stuff onto the beloved other.

It is a classic relationship issue, why let the opportunity for wisdom pass by??

Love Light Peace
Flea

Rosie7

Hello Ceres76,

I think you should keep your thoughts to yourself. Oppositions are relationship aspects that draw people together. I think it is outrageous that you, as an outsider, would presume to have insight into another person's intimate relationship, and even have so much hubris to consider spouting some factoid you read in a book. With mars / saturn aspects, and especially the opposition, a sexual dynamic exists that although it may not suit your vanilla lifestyle, it may perfectly satisfy someone who desires a more intense and fulfilling sexual experience. Mars is raw and explicit and Saturn gets to the reality of addressing personal needs. This dynamic makes for a deep level of trust and honesty. And no, it does not mean that relatedness is built on a framework of cruelty and low self esteem.

MaeMae

Banned
My thought is that any opposition to Mars brings out the "you're not the boss of me" element in synastry. oppositions, like squares, are dynamic and challenging, but if a person has a certain self-awareness, the aspect can actually help them to refine their approach to life through the other.

Mars-Saturn oppositions and squares often get stuck in the mud. If you consider the planetary energies -

Mars "let's go now!"
Saturn "we need to wait..."

then it would follow that there is a problem between the two involving immediate and deferred gratification. Mars is not one to tolerate delays and restrictions, and is seldom concerned with outcomes. He's all about "now" and forging ahead. Saturn likes to take things slow and is willing to wait. He only allows himself to find reward after he's convinced that all is well on the front.

A possible exception might be a MR, where the qualities of each sign/planet are in some kind of sync.

By sign, not aspect, natally, I have opposite signs with Mars/Saturn. I understand that part of myself. In my case, it's Cancer-Cap. Deep longings and self-imposed restrictions.

Sexually, I see this combo in synastry as a real damper. Mars wants to go all out and Saturn wants to hold back. It's these types of frustrations that can sour even the most loving and gentle relationship.

Last edited:
To start with it's best to look at the individual needs of each persons chart and how they relate and what they are looking for. Astro.com does have an option composite + natal midpoint method (2) which I find helpful. If you choose to post the synastry bi wheel from astro could you please select the 2nd synastry option as it will put the houses and degrees onto the wheel which is far better for us to evaluate matters....
If you post the synastry chart and realise it doesn’t show the degrees (which we need to look at) you can find the degrees and other information in a separate PDF on the synastry page of astro.com. Look for the link "View the additional tables (PDF)" and click on it to see the additional information. Reading a synastry chart is mainly about reading the aspects between the planets in the two charts. So once you find the PDF, scroll down to the bottom of the page and look in the synastry grid that is there. Unfortunately, you can only see/read these and not save/upload. That’s why I like to see both natal’s and composite. This grid (in my opinion) has too many minor aspects and the orbs are quite wide. I like to use + - max 3’

When looking at a woman’s chart the type of man she would look for is her sun sign and mars traits, plus 7th house planets and house cusp ruler and where that ruler was deposited.
When looking at a mans chart for the type of woman he would look for is his venus and moon sign and then 7th house planets and house cusp ruler and where that ruler was deposited.

Although synastry is a valuable tool with astrology it cannot 'make things happen' even if you have the best synastry in the world unfortunately..

If you want to research more into synastry try here
http://cafeastrology.com/astrology_of_relationships.html
http://www.cafeastrology.com/synastry/interchartaspects.html
http://www.cafeastrology.com/synastry_house_overlays.html
http://www.astrology-numerology.com/synastry.html
http://www.astrology-numerology.com/synastry-houses.html
http://www.astrology-numerology.com/synastryaspects.html
http://www.cosmitec-astrological-compatibility-advice.com/astrology-marriage.html
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17513
http://www.astrotheme.com/synastry_advice.php
http://www.astrology-x-files.com/synastry/ascendant.html

relationship sticky
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28945

miquar

Hi Cybal175. I wonder if you'd consider starting a new thread with this post - you can just go into edit, highlight and copy it, delete the post and then paste it back in when you start the new thread. I think it will get too complicated a thread otherwise.

miquar

Compelled to be together, but have to learn some really hard lessons. Both people probably have problems with authority. Either imposing too much or expecting to much from someone, or in reverse allowing any authority figure to remove self power and motivation.

Advising them to look at authority issues in each of their own individual charts and also how they use self power might be a good idea. So both are clear about their own issues before they started projecting their own stuff onto the beloved other.

I absolutely agree. This is surely the bottom line.

With regard to the post which criticises ceres76 I thought the initial post was unassuming rather than presumptuous, and showed genuine concern.

One more thing - I wouldn't list mutual Venus Chiron synastry conjunctions as a pleasant aspect. They can be pretty painful, but can lead to much growth, like Mars opposite Saturn.

Ουρανία

and now I see to my consternation that they have a Mars-Saturn opposition! Both ways!! I’m kind of thrown by this. I asked her (without telling her why) if she has the feeling that they might eventually clamp down on each other and try to smother the other’s energy and drive. She said, absolutely not. (What was I thinking – she is on Cloud 9!)

Could all of this alleviate the strain of those Mars-Saturn oppositions??

I have this aspect in synastry, I am Mars in Gemini, and he is Saturn.
I haven´t found myself in any astrological description of this combination. :smile:

First of all, with Mars in Gemini, I feel restless energy (that even squares my Mercury and the Sun) but when I am with him, my energy gets the structure and focus. He does not inhibit my moves, actions or desires. On the contrary, we work great as a team. He is an excellent strategist (with Capricorn stellium) and I have a colorful palette of ideas. He has the patience and plan how we can realize my ideas, which he would not have thought of, and which appeal to both. Mars is the ruler of my Mercury, and my Mercury sextiles (0°) his Mercury . Jupiter is the ruler of his Saturn, and his Jupiter trines my Mars.
"Opposition brings concord out of discord." :smile:

This is so not true : "Unfortunately, very often the Saturn native uses subtle ways to undermine the Mars native's confidence. Saturn attempts to control Mars by limiting, blocking, and undermining Mars" (cafeastrology.com)

I feel more confident since I am with him because I become so much more productive. He's the one who says to me "You can do it! "
He loves my childish side, because when he is with me, he also can be childish. He never criticized my behaviour. And when I was self-critical, he encouraged me, and helped me to accept myself as a human being. This can not be more wrong :andy: : "Can you see where this is going? The relationship has turned into living hell. Any latent aggressive tendencies in either individual become larger than life. At the very least, verbal abusiveness can result." (cafeastrology.com)

So to the point, what is a strain for some people, for others it's pure harmony.

P.S. He is The Capricorn (Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus etc) , and I have Capricorn Ascendant conjunct Saturn, so while I speak this I don´t think we are on "Cloud 9", unless we are mountain goats and the clouds came to us. :sideways:

I hope it helps :*

Last edited:

Alice McDermott

Ουρανία;462990 said:
I have this aspect in synastry, I am Mars in Gemini, and he is Saturn.
I haven´t found myself in any astrological description of this combination. :smile:

I agree Oupavia

I have found quite a few people in relationships with Mars-Saturn contacts and often in hard aspect. Most seem to be happy.

I think a great deal depends upon the natal charts and what they want from a partner. If the ruler of one person's Ascendant is conjunct the ruler of the other person's Ascendant or angle, then this is a powerful contact and it doesn't matter whether Mars and Saturn are involved.

Though none of the text books seem to mention it, this aspect can give considerable sexual attraction.

The problem is that if the Saturn person is very controlling by nature, then the Mars person will find that they rebel after two or three years and try to get away. However, in the case presented by the OP it is a mutual Mars-Saturn so this combination could give excellent goal setting and directed energy.

Transits to these points will show how this energy is working for the people involved, and if fast moving transits are bringing problems then the outer planet transits will bring big problems.

I was married to a man with Mercury-Mars in Virgo square Saturn-Ascendant in Gemini. My Mars was conjunct his Saturn and therefore square his Mercury-Mars and after a couple of years I found his criticisms intolerable; they became worse when we had the children and he started criticising them as well. Eventually the marriage broke down and I was very relieved to be out of it - to the point I have never married again as I didn't want to put myself in this position again.

But if someone has a Mars-Saturn contact with good aspects to other factors in their charts, it can and does work very positively.

Alice