Challenging Mars/Saturn contacts in synastry and longevity

GeminiGrrl

I've always heard that in synastry, there really needs to be at least one significant aspect involving Saturn (meaning one in which Saturn forms an aspect with inner planets or critical points) in either the overlay chart or the composite chart if the relationship is going to last. Of course, it's always preferable if the aspect is favorable -- but what if the only aspect which Saturn forms is a seriously challenging one such as Mars opposition or square Saturn? Or what if it's in mutual reception, with Mars square Saturn in one direction and Saturn opposition Mars in the other?? (Venus opposition or square Saturn also tends to be a particularly difficult one, I know.)

I'm aware that there is no one aspect so challenging that it can by itself doom a relationship to fail, especially if both partners are sufficiently mature and self-aware to the point that they're willing to put in the effort necessary to address and (if possible) overcome the problems which these aspects present for the sake of the relationship -- especially when the composite is very strong. However, all other things being equal, would the challenging nature of this particular aspect negate both Saturn's benefit as a longevity factor and the potency of mutual reception?