Venus or Mercury? Who controls the thyroid gland?

applesandlilacs

Hello,

I have been researching the thyroid gland, and there is a bit of a back and forth whether it is controlled by Venus or Mercury.

Could you give me a little insight, please?
I have a doctors appointment to find out about my thyroid biopsy this afternoon, and I'm a little nervous. Keep my mind busy trying to see if I can find the answer in my chart.

Gratitude,

Amber

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
Hello,

I have been researching the thyroid gland, and there is a bit of a back and forth whether it is controlled by Venus or Mercury.

Could you give me a little insight, please?
I have a doctors appointment to find out about my thyroid biopsy this afternoon, and I'm a little nervous. Keep my mind busy trying to see if I can find the answer in my chart.

Gratitude,

Amber

Traditionally, which is where the planetary rulerships come from, there was no thyroid per se. According to Dariot, Venus rules the throat, not Mercury. However, Culpeper and Lily both give the throat to Mercury. I'd say Taurus rules the throat, as well as the natal second, so if either are afflicted then you can look that way. If you are using your natal chart, that might be the way to go. Horary would probably be a short cut for you.

Last edited:

Frisiangal

Traditionally, which is where the planetary rulerships come from, there was no thyroid per se. According to Dariot, Venus rules the throat, not Mercury. However, Culpeper and Lily both give the throat to Mercury. I'd say Taurus rules the throat, as well as the natal second, so if either are afflicted then you can look that way. If you are using your natal chart, that might be the way to go. Horary would probably be a short cut for you.

I am turning more and more towards this theme wherever dual/outer rulership of a sign is concerned, yet astrologers still express different views regarding the thyroid gland.
If Taurus is the region of 'the neck', then Venus as a planetary function and working through its rulership of the sign has influence over the thyroid gland. Iodine produced by the gland is said to be ruled by Venus. General 'hormone balance' is also a speciality of Libra, Venus's 2nd rulership.
Yet if the neck is seen as the region to, and including the Mercury-ruled trachea leading into the Gemini-ruled respiratory system, Mercury as ruler of Gemini is the alternative.
Neither Gemini or Virgo have association with hormone balance.

I check with Google in seeking verification and/or answers to astrological queries regarding the anatomy. Picture diagrams are the best, of course. They show that the thyroid gland in the throat is situated above the trachea, which would seem to verify its rulership through Taurus and Venus.
The thyroid gland is said to have associations with the intellect, but whether this is in the mental or emotional sense is not clarified.

I have had a thyroid problem for many years. I have a Mercury-Venus conjunction in Taurus in the 9th house (health matters). I can be rather 'sluggishly lazy' towards that which does not physically capture my interest, yet my mind is always over- than under -active!:biggrin:

It would be interesting for learning purposes to see the O.P's (anonymous?) natal chart to check for any correspondences.

:smile:

Last edited:

applesandlilacs

Thank-you, I'll have to research Horary. My Taurus (7th) has Chiron opposite Uranus and Part of Fortune in Scorpio (1st). I would be here all day with Mercury, it leads my Stellium (6 planets w/Lilith and N.Node) in Leo (10th) and it conjuncts MC, and it aspects all other planets. Lots of research, good thing I LOVE research! Thanks again.