Psyche

5th house moon

Hi there

I've been trying to find out information on Psyche. Can anyone offer any info on this asteroid?

Looking at a comp chart with a friend, it is conjunct the moon in 7th. Wondering what effect/influence that may have.

Many thanks

5HM

Arian Maverick

Here are some tiny bits of information I have found through a Google search:

Eros/Psyche MP Awakens desire to merge, sexual energy is intense, deep and emotive. Transformation whether taboo or not.

Some astrologers are studying the role of asteroids in astrology. Strong connections between the asteroids Eros () and Psyche () in synastry point to a powerful romantic and sexual relationship

Cafe Astrology has a small but decent section on Eros, which seems intimatley related with Psyche from what I've gathered.

Eros Transits is a very detailed page with lots of good information...too bad I can't seem to isolate Psyche :roll:

HOROSCOPESCHAT has a nice description of several astroids, including Psyche, which is located near the bottom of the page

Aquarian Maverick

P.S. The astroid number for Psyche is 16 for those who wish to see its placement in their Astrodienst charts, and the number for Eros is 433 :wink:

Arian Maverick

No problem, 5th House Moon...I am the resident chart uploader/researcher after all :wink:

I am particularly interest in Psyche since I just discovered that it conuncts my Ascendent...by less than one degree (5'13" is between 5'06" and 6'06")! :mrgreen:

Aquarian Maverick

5th house moon

Hiya AM

Conjucts your asc huh? Do you know what it could mean? If Psyche was some sort of sexual goddess (according to Roman mythology).....maybe that's the way you come across!!! (the impression you give others, how you are perceived by others- ascendant).

Work it, baby, work it!!!! :lol:

My psyche conjuncts a friend's Eros. Is Psyche the female energy and Eros the male energy? If so, I gather it would be a better positioning (for want of a better word :p ) to have the man's eros conjunct the female's psyche?

Thanks again Aquarian Maverick

Cheers

5HM

Arian Maverick

Conjucts your asc huh? Do you know what it could mean? If Psyche was some sort of sexual goddess (according to Roman mythology).....maybe that's the way you come across!!! (the impression you give others, how you are perceived by others- ascendant).

Oh yes...others perceive me as the ultimate sexual goddess. I have glasses and braces, and I know that everyone secretly pines over die-hard band geeks :roll:

I suppose I shouldn't be so sarcastic; believe it or not, I've had my fair share of male suitors. I was simply too absorbed in my studies to acknowlege them, or too naive to understand why a good friend would call me every night unless he really didn't understand the homework assignment :lol:

My psyche conjuncts a friend's Eros. Is Psyche the female energy and Eros the male energy? If so, I gather it would be a better positioning (for want of a better word ) to have the man's eros conjunct the female's psyche?

I have no idea...I guess this is yet another matter to research :wink:

Aquarian Maverick

Arian Maverick

Great find, bijou! Thanks! :D

The house Psyche occupies focuses on where one expects to find one's identity. For example, in the 5th house it is often through ideal love, and when the individual evolves above this concept they become increasingly creative. In the 2nd house it is often through material things, and by rising above this, the individual becomes increasingly generous and giving.

I have my natal Psyche conjunct my Ascendent, so I suppose that means I expect to find my identity through...my identity? :|

Since my appetite has been whet, I wish I could find even more information about Psyche. Remember, Aries are never satisfied :roll:

Aquarian Maverick

liv

Hi,
don't know is this right place to ask, but...
i am very curious about Psyche conj Sun in synastry!? Exactly, girl's Psyche conj guy's Sun in Taurus. In fact i don't understand Psyche meaning. Any explanation?

I have just discovered that I have a grand trine!

Mars (14Gem46/3rd) trine Pluto (11Lib41/6th) trine Eros (12Aqu12/10th).

I read somewhere that conjunctions between Eros and major planets is quiet generous - 10 or 12 degrees. Do you agree with this?

That would mean that Eros is conj with my Sun and Mercury (both at 2 deg Aqu)

joyrjw

Hi Everyone!:smile: I found this article on Psyche and thought maybe it would help. I have Psyche in Virgo quintile my sun and quintile my ascendant from my 3rd house, plus quite a few other aspects. I think I have more information,but I have to find it. By for now! :smile:

Psyche​
Zip Dobyns​
I had planned to discuss Urania as the new asteroid for this issue, since it seemed to be another
Uranus in the limited attention I have given it to date. I had regarded Psyche as rather like
Dembowska a few months ago; as an enigma with several possible meanings but no clear picture.
But in the past week, I have found Psyche prominent in charts where it was totally unanticipated:
in the horoscopes of countries involved in the tragedy unfolding in the Middle East.
Astrology is a pragmatic art, based on observation of the parallels between the patterns in the
sky and the events on earth. When a planet appears in high focus, conjunct chart angles or major
planets, in either natal or progressed charts, we are assured that the meaning of the planet can
contribute to our understanding of the subject of the chart, whether person or country. Since the
suggested meanings of Psyche—psychic ability, desire for psychological insight, and romantic love
—hardly seemed appropriate for the critical events occurring in Lebanon, I felt impelled to search
for some deeper understanding of this little planet.
I am not alone in my increased interest in Psyche, though I may be alone in my suggested
amplification of its meaning in astrology. A summer 1982 astrology conference in Seattle
Washington featured two speakers who have been working with Psyche, and they support it as a
key to romantic love, according to a local friend who attended the conference. Capel McCutcheon
lectured on Psyche at the A.F.A. conference in late August, and he supports Psyche as a key to
psychic ability and desire for psychological insight. He finds it prominent in psychics and
psychologists.
Perhaps where Psyche is prominent we should be loving or empathic or insightful, but I was left
with a profound unease about that being the whole story when I found Psyche conjunct the
Ascendant in one chart for Lebanon (the end of the French Mandate) and conjunct the IC in the
chart for full independence which occurred about two years later. Furthermore, progressed Psyche
is retrograding over the Ascendant of the 1941 Lebanese chart as this current horror story is
unfolding in that country. Progressed Psyche was opposite a tenth house Saturn during the
destructive civil war in 1975 in the 1943 chart of Lebanon, and progressed Moon was on natal
Psyche and South Node of the Moon in the Israel chart during the massacre of unarmed old men,
women and children in the PLO camps in mid September, 1982. If Judith Gee’s chart of Israel is
accurate, the progressed Ascendant has been conjunct progressed Psyche for the past couple of
years for a further emphatic statement. Moon Moore’s book of World Horoscopes gives a later time
for Israel, but Judith writes a column of predictions based on a chart with Neptune exactly on the
Ascendant. An alternate chart set for twenty minutes later puts Israel’s progressed Ascendant on
natal Psyche for all of 1982. Israel’s invasion of Lebanon passed the U.N. observation post with
Psyche conjunct the chart Ascendant.
Up to the point of discovering Psyche’s prominence in mundane charts of countries that seemed
to demonstrate very little love and empathy for their fellow humans, I had not explored mythology
to see whether it might throw more light on the situation. As I have stated repeatedly in the past,
we cannot assume that the asteroids were properly named or that the mythology is totally
accurate, but it can offer preliminary hypotheses to be tested by observation. Michael Grant’s
book,​
Myths of the Greeks and Romans, proved to be a treasure trove with a whole section
devoted to a discussion of the myth of Psyche. I knew that the word in Greek could be translated
as “soul” though psychology had appropriated and used it for the mind. I had a vague recollection
of a love story involving Psyche and Cupid which ended happily after various tribulations. But there
was much more to the drama, according to Grant, who quotes the ancient writer Apuleius as the
source of the most complete version of the myth.
Psyche was the youngest and most beautiful of three daughters of a King, so admired that
people neglected their offerings to Venus who sent her son, Cupid, to make Psyche fall in love with
some degraded creature. Instead, Cupid succumbed, leaving Venus even more angry. The gist of
the story includes many themes from fairy tales: the youngest child as fairest, the invisible lover,

Virgo 1982: Psyche
http://www.ccrsdodona.org/m_dilemma/1982/vir/psyche.html[6/5/2010 12:56:50 AM]​
the persecuting mother-in-law, etc. Grant writes that it is not known how much was created by
Apuleius who was a master story teller, but it remains as our most complete statement about
Psyche, a human who was permitted to become a goddess in order to marry Cupid (equated to
Eros or love).
However, the “happy” ending and the drama of the tale do not alter the reality that Psyche is
portrayed as physically beautiful but also incredibly naive, gullible, stupid, “other-directed,”
dependent, emotional, irrational, self-absorbed and incompetent. If she epitomizes any principle, it
is the danger of emotion devoid of reason or intellect. She is always saved by others, including a
tower which is more intelligent than she, and which talks her out of suicide. She lies, deliberately
or because she forgets her own previous lies. She ignores advice in her desire for even more
beauty though already described as a rival to Venus. Throughout the story, she appears as almost
totally devoid of intelligence, insight into others, or awareness of the feelings of others, and shows
few signs of love in her absorption with her own needs. In short, she is a shining example of the
prototypical dependent female whose only asset is physical beauty. Phyllis Schlafley has Psyche in
her ninth house of ultimate values.
Since I do not believe that any astrological factor is inherently negative or positive, after reading
Grant’s account, I came back to my mundane charts with new awareness. I am suggesting at this
point (subject to further revision in the future), that a prominent Psyche can symbolize the positive
potential for understanding, empathizing with, and loving others, or (as in the story by Apuleius)
the lack of these capacities when people (or countries) are too insecure, self-centered and
emotional and fail to cultivate intelligence and use reason. If any readers are working with Psyche,
let me know of your results.
Since mundane (world) charts initiated this effort, I put Psyche in all the charts of countries in
Moore’s book that were founded in the 20th Century; 126 in all. I did not have time to re-run the
charts, so have only the ten planets, nodes of the Moon, and MC and Ascendant. I limited aspects
to 3 degree orb except for 5 degrees for conjunctions. Much remains to be done, but even the
preliminary work is fascinating. I discovered that ten countries in Africa became independent during
August 1960, all with Psyche conjunct Mars in Gemini and quincunx Neptune (among other
aspects). Two of the ten also had Psyche and Mars on the Ascendant, Senegal and the Ivory
Coast. The Mediterranean island, Cypress, was also given a new start in the same month. Two
additional countries in Africa had their new start close together in 1966, both with Psyche conjunct
Mars in Leo, Botswana and Lesotho. Papua New Guinea, started in 1975, has Psyche back in
Gemini conjunct Mars again, and North Korea has Psyche conjunct Mars in Scorpio.
An interesting list of countries have Psyche conjunct the South Node of the Moon, including
Israel, Australia, Japan, Mongolia, Morocco, Qator, Sao Tome & Principe, and South Korea. Cuba
and the Philippines have Psyche conjunct Saturn. Depending on the whole chart and other aspects,
we might suspect that these countries have something to learn about love and empathy and
intelligence. With Saturn and the South Node, we first have something to learn, and then
something to give.
A large number of these countries lack a time, so that we have no houses or definite position for
the Moon; a serious drawback. But even though I consider signs to be the least important of our
“big four” (planets, aspects, houses, signs) the sign distribution was interesting. Even if we omit
the big emphasis on Gemini due to the birth of so many countries in August 1960, Gemini remains
next highest in number with 21 countries favoring that sign; 31 if we add the 1960 group. 23
countries have Psyche in Scorpio; 16 have it in Virgo; 14 have it in Aquarius. Fixed and mutable
signs are far ahead of cardinal; 53 fixed, 56 mutable, and 18 cardinal. I also looked to see if any
particular degree was favored and there was a slight emphasis on the 9th and the 13th degrees,
but our sample is too small to really take results seriously. I also checked to see if some of the
degrees being hit repeatedly by eclipses in this century were the ones occupied by Psyche. 15
countries have Psyche on or within one degree of those being hit by four eclipses this century. 11
additional countries have Psyche in or one degree from a degree being hit by three eclipses during
this century. So much more remains to be done, but at this point, I think we need to consider the​
possibility that this little planet could indicate a principle of importance to the world today.

joyrjw

Hello Again, I found some more stuff I have on Psyche, it's not much,but maybe it'll help. :smile:

My Psyche is in 4th house (sentimentality, the home) Virgo​
(perfectionism, mercurialism) and is also the only source of Virgo
energy present in my natal chart. Keeping with my lovely,​
ongoing
theme
of dissociative identity, my Psyche is inconjunct my sun (ego,
concious will) in 12th House Aries and almost directly opposite my

C O N F I G U R A T I O N S​
Venus (attraction, sensuality) in 10th Pisces. In lamens terms, this
would imply that my soul has difficulting connecting with my
conciousness, and works in opposition to my ability to love and bondboth​
very true statements.
When Psyche is found in Virgo, the native is bestowed​
with a
sensual knowingness and impeccable grasp of nuance. These
individuals can effortlessly tap into the unspoken fantasies and secret
motivations of their lovers, creating a suave partner who is so totally
together during seduction that it borders on the holistic. However,
Psyche in Virgo, as it relates to the individual soul, yearns for someone
who is able to show that same grasp of details recipriocally. Utterly
sensual, they are most deeply enticed by a deep mental affinity with
someone who understands them with no explanations needed. They
desire to be finessed by a partner who is able to all at once remember,
appreciate and utilize every aspect of her inner being. This is a tall
order, to say the least, and problems arise because Psyche in Virgo
often takes her own special talent for granted. Natives typically do not
understand why this sensual clarity isn't present in others, leading her
to feel as though she is merely not worth the effort.

Psyche in the 4th indicates an individual who longs to root
themselves​
in something real and lasting, a "home" for their soul.
They long to find a place where they can relax and be themselves
without feeling self concious or anxious, and will often use the physical
body (through sexuality, caring for a sick partner, etc) to cement
themselves in this. They will attempt again and again to make their
desire for a perfect, accepting atmosphere a reality, often cycling

through many marriages or cohabitating partnerships.

joyrjw

Here is something on Psyche conjunct the ascendant,
:happy:
Psyche astrological placement is in Scorpio, conjunct to your Sun or
Ascendant, your Rising Sign. Psyche in Scorpio means your understanding of the soul and the mind
involves the attributes of the sign of Scorpio, which is a watery, fixed placement. You might have a
very deep need to explore your own psychology, and you could be willing to take that exploration to
its furthest levels. Psyche conjunct to your Sun or Ascendant means you incorporate your ideas and
beliefs about the soul and mind into the very fabric of your being.
Psyche is currently in the sign of Virgo, so the harvest maiden is meeting the goddess of the soul
and mind. Virgo is an earthy, mutable sign, and Virgo imparts to Psyche the ability to process
information very quickly and analytically, while still exhibiting a deep desire for a physical union with
the world around her. Virgo thinks deeply and profoundly, and she has a very down to earth nature,
and a true realization of her physical wants and needs.
Psyche in Virgo will bring a tone of questioning to our life stories, and give us the ability to look at
our past experiences from many different angles, so we can chart our own paths, and forge ahead in

our own life story.

Psyche is one of the most important asteroids in your chart. Psyche’s asteroid number is 16, and she
was discovered on March 17, 1852, when the Sun was in Pisces. Pisces is the sign of unconscious
thoughts and dreams, and is ruled by Neptune, the planet of illusion, mist, and vapor. Pisces and
Neptune can give us great creativity and artistic ability, but also incline us to want to escape from
reality, into a pleasant dream world, where nothing is real, unless we want it to be.
Psyche is the Greek word for soul, and Psyche is the place in your chart that can detail for you
where you can find your entrance into your self. Psyche also represents psychology and is involved
with the discipline of the study of the mind. Psyche encompasses the soul, the mind, and the self.
The ancient Greek mythological saga of Psyche has formed the basis of numerous fairy tales and folk
stories, including that of Beauty and the Beast, and The Knight and the Loathly Damsel. The
elements of Psyche’s life are trust, love, passion, betrayal and jealousy. Beyond that, we can learn
from Psyche the uncovering of who we are, why we act as we do, and what love means to us.
Psyche’s story is filled with archetypes, as are all mythological tales; fathers who are cruel or
neglectful, or overindulgent, foolish and devoted; jealous women, as in mothers, stepmothers or
sisters, and of course the lover. The lover may be disguised, so the fair maiden cannot see his face
or guess his identity. He can be cruel, or he can be kind. He can be a demon or a god. His being and
persona changes in each story, and in each version of the story.
The end of the tale is always the same, since the ultimate end of the heroine’s story is her final
understanding of herself. It is the final acceptance of her totality of being, which includes her mind,
body, and spirit. Psyche’s story involves the ultimate acknowledgement that the soul can be granted
immortality through its’ ability to love.
As the myth relates to us, Psyche was a very beautiful girl who was the youngest of three sisters.
Psyche was so beautiful that she was treated as a statue or idol to be gazed at. The ancient Greeks
began to ignore the temple of Aphrodite, (the Greek counterpart of the Roman goddess Venus), and
started to worship Psyche instead of Aphrodite.
Aphrodite became jealous, and asked her son Eros to magically induce Psyche to fall in love with the
lowest and most horrible man on earth he could find. Instead Eros himself fell in love with Psyche
and had the Zephyr, the west wind, blow her up to a beautiful palace in the mountains. Once there
Eros appeared under a cloak of darkness, and told Psyche that she could never look at his face, but
that he would visit her nightly, as her husband. During the day Psyche had free rein to live in the
palace, and roam the beautiful grounds it was on.
After awhile Psyche missed her older sisters, and asked her mysterious nighttime lover/husband to let
them visit her. Eros finally agreed, and Psyche’s sisters saw how much material wealth she had. Her
sisters became jealous and convinced Psyche that she was really married to a snake, or some other
horrible monster. They urged her to look at the man/monster she slept with at night, for her own
safety.
Psyche waited until Eros was asleep, and then uncovered him. Once she did, his identity and his
beauty was discovered by Psyche, and he woke up and fled from her. She then realized she had been
with Eros, the god of love, all the time.
Psyche then went to Aphrodite to ask for a chance to be reunited with her soul mate. Jealous
Aphrodite, Eros’ mother, set out a series of arduous tasks for Psyche to fulfill before she would agree
to allow Eros to see Psyche again. Helped by some of the Olympian gods and goddesses who were
sympathetic to her plight, Psyche ultimately passed each test, one of which involved Psyche’s descent
into the depths of Hades, the underworld, to see Persephone, the queen of the dead. Psyche
ultimately won Eros back, married him, was granted immortality, and became a goddess in her own
right.
Psyche’s story is in essence every woman’s story. Psyche’s tale begins when she is in early
womanhood, and brings her to an uncharted place, where she is not sure of anyone or anything. She
is then forced to deal with the world, and surmount many difficult obstacles before she, the
embodiment of the soul and mind, is able to merge with her other half, her animus, or her male
lover. Once she achieves that goal, she achieves a true integration of her self, becomes a goddess,
and achieves immortality.
Astrologically, how does this apply to you? Psyches’ journey through the signs of the zodiac varies
widely each year, but she is in each sign for between 2 to 10 months. Psyche entered into Virgo on
October 5, 2006 and will be there until August 21, 2007. Psyche then moves into Libra for a three
month stay, and will be there until November 18, 2007, when she enters into Scorpio. Psyche will be
in the sign of the Scorpion for the rest of the year of 2007.
Psyche can tell us a lot about ourselves and our own journey, but it may take us some time and
thought before we become aware of what Psyche symbolically wants to say to us. Delving into our

innermost depths can take some time, and reflection.
Whether you’re a homebody or you’re out in the parks

Here is more information on Eros and Psyche:

http://www.sasstrology.net/group/theeroticzodiac/forum/topics/79720...

PSYCHE IN ARIES: Like the thrill of someone falling madly in love with and pursuing them. They enjoy feeling valued by someone and they find security in hearing this from their lover.

PSYCHE IN TAURUS: Are the embodiment of sexuality. They like for people to find them attractive. They are also attracted to people who give gifts of love.

PSYCHE IN GEMINI: Are drawn to powerful personalities that are able to switch between staying home and painting the town. They also enjoy mates who challenge their intellect.

PSYCHE IN CANCER: Tend to take on nurturing roles, not necessarily with everyone, but definitely with their lover. They will go out of their way to make partner happy.

PSYCHE IN LEO: Able to discern the best in people and bring that out. They are attracted to charming, good-looking people. They also have a tendency to project onto their partner the way they themselves want to be.

PSYCHE IN VIRGO: Show their affection to someone who accepts them unconditionally. They are usually concerned about what the lover can bring to the table. Once smitten, they are very generous of their time and resources.

PSYCHE IN LIBRA: Fascinated by partners with striking looks, possibly to the detriment of other aspects, in order to indulge the fantasy of the relationship. Usually they get wise to this tendency in due time. They treat everyone around them lavishly.

PSYCHE IN SCORPIO: Tend to be secretive about their true feelings, including sexual feelings. They also tend to be reserved when expressing themselves until they feel absolutely comfortable. Once committed, they take the relationship very seriously and will do anything to keep it going.

PSYCHE IN SAGITTARIUS: Attracted to someone worldly, ethnically diverse, philosophically-oriented, and free-spirited. They are able to give others the freedom to be who they really are.

PSYCHE IN CAPRICORN: Attracted to emotionally mature and stable individuals who can also provide an outlet for their romantic fantasy. Sexual intimacy is a longing, and once fulfilled, they feel like they’ve won the prize.

PSYCHE IN AQUARIUS: Like to put a little bubble around themselves and their lover and bask in the fulfillment of their hopes, wishes, and dreams. They like to be acknowledged for their unique and special qualities and do not like to compete for affection.

PSYCHE IN PISCES: Seek partners who can express the utmost love and adoration and partners who can help them escape a routine life. They tend to attract attention through illnesses if their needs are not being met to their expectation.

Source: http://astronuts.tribe.net/thread/490fd71c-5d89-491d-89cc-5ead19c3d81a

Last edited: